Carolina's MVP was the field today.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
mrford":1ctec928 said:
kearly":1ctec928 said:
I'm mad as hell about it, I think it's bush league BS by Carolina.

Bush league BS by Carolina? I'm interested in your logic behind that. What exactly do you think Carolina should have done differently? Played the game in a different venue?

Re-sodded the field during their bye, rather than waiting a week.

Reminds me of Charlie Weis keeping the grass long at Notre Dame because he was scared of the speed of Carroll's USC Trojans.

If that was Carolina's aim, they certainly succeeded. The slippage by the Seahawks in that first half was ridiculous looking.

Seymour

Reaction score
The field absolutely sucked -- for both teams.

The Seahawks absolutely sucked and were unprepared (for 1/2 the game)

Which one can we change, and which one is just whiny poor losers?

mrford

Reaction score
hawknation2016":1je17dh9 said:
mrford":1je17dh9 said:
kearly":1je17dh9 said:

Bush league BS by Carolina? I'm interested in your logic behind that. What exactly do you think Carolina should have done differently? Played the game in a different venue?

Reminds me of Charlie Weis keeping the grass long at Notre Dame because he was scared of the speed of Carroll's USC Trojans.

If that was Carolina's aim, they certainly succeeded. The slippage by the Seahawks in that first half was ridiculous looking.

Are you just assuming that they waited or do you have proof of this?

The field was no worse during the Carolina vs Hawks game than it was during the last 2 months. You dont seem to understand how much use the field got, or how bad the weather conditions have been for 3 months down here. A quick google search will show you the problems that have existed for months. The Bucs game (season finale) was the 2nd game in 5 days. Even with re-sodding immediately, there wouldnt have been time for the grass to take. It doesnt work that way. There was little Carolina could do, and the Seahawks were allowed on the field before the start of the game.

You are just looking for excuses if you truly think Carolina leveraged the field just so they could beat the Seahawks. It has been a season long battle. You arnt that special.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
mrford":3g66z3tz said:
hawknation2016":3g66z3tz said:
mrford":3g66z3tz said:
kearly":3g66z3tz said:

Are you just assuming that they waited or do you have proof of this?

The field was no worse during the Carolina vs Hawks game than it was during the last 2 months. You dont seem to understand how much use the field got, or how bad the weather conditions have been for 3 months down here. A quick google search will show you the problems that have existed for months. The Bucs game (season finale) was the 2nd game in 5 days. Even with re-sodding immediately, there wouldnt have been time for the grass to take. It doesnt work that way. There was little Carolina could do, and the Seahawks were allowed on the field before the start of the game.

You are just looking for excuses if you truly think Carolina leveraged the field just so they could beat the Seahawks. It has been a season long battle. You arnt that special.

I'm not assuming anything. I was merely explaining kearly's comment for you. As I clearly stated in my post, I don't know whether that was Carolina's aim.

However, I have yet to see anything to explain why they waited until the week of the game to re-sod the grass, when it could have been done a week earlier, on Jan. 4. It may very well have been a tactic; there is just not enough evidence to show intent.

According to various articles online, it takes two weeks for initial sod rooting:
http://homeguides.sfgate.com/long-sod-root-70702.html

At the very least, it would have been negligent to wait a week to re-sod the grass without sufficient justification for this gap in time. Another week could have made a difference in the condition of the field, as the grass would have had twice as long to root.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
mrford":2axv1tce said:
http://www.twcnews.com/nc/charlotte/news/2016/01/4/crews-re-sod-carolina-panthers-field-to-prepare-for-playoffs.html

Dont know why they waited, but it wasnt to beat the Seahawks.

That is new information for me. According to another kearly post, Carolina did not re-sod until six days before the game. These new facts certainly change my perspective. By re-sodding as soon as possible, I don't think Carolina could have had any motive other than creating the best on-field conditions. This was the 3rd time they had attempted to re-sod this season, and the weather leading up to the game certainly didn't help the situation.

That said, it is undeniable that the unusual slippages by Seahawks players played a role in the loss. I would just place the blame more on the Seahawks' staff for not thinking ahead and wearing the best available cleats. The poor field condition was an unfortunate, but seemingly unavoidable, occurrence. One that Carolina was obviously much better prepared for, having played on the field all season, which is one of the perks of winning home field advantage.

mrford

Reaction score
lol, i edited my post a few times because i got my dates confused. But yeah. Carolina has struggled with the field for months. To suggest that they used it purposefully as an advantage over the Hawks was a bit if an insult. Glad we got that cleared up.

I will not deny that it had an impact on the game, but i will deny that any of it was the Panthers fault!

hawknation2016

Reaction score
mrford":3q3ibtmv said:
lol, i edited my post a few times because i got my dates confused. But yeah. Carolina has struggled with the field for months. To suggest that they used it purposefully as an advantage over the Hawks was a bit if an insult. Glad we got that cleared up.

I will not deny that it had an impact on the game, but i will deny that any of it was the Panthers fault!

Jan. 4 vs. Jan. 11 makes a big difference, since it takes at least two weeks for grass to root. Thanks for clarifying that point. I would rather lose to an opponent who was playing fairly, and now it seems certain that Carolina was.

mrford

Reaction score
Im just glad you didnt knock us out of the playoffs 2 years in a row!

Now if we can just get vengeance on Arizona for that 2009 dismantling of Delhome's career, I'll be happy. Even happier if we can get revenge over the 2004 loss to the Patriots in the Super Bowl. The Carolina 2016 revenge tour rolls on!

kearly

Reaction score
Seymour":3ph6ssrr said:

Yup it sure sucked for them, to the tune of 31-0 halfway through the 2nd quarter.

They ensured the field would be utter shit, then practiced on it and gameplanned for it, things Seattle could not do until the game was already out of reach.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
kearly":k7jy6v4m said:
Seymour":k7jy6v4m said:

Yup it sure sucked for them, to the tune of 31-0 halfway through the 2nd quarter.

They ensured the field would be utter shit, then practiced on it and gameplanned for it, things Seattle could not do until the game was already out of reach.

Apparently their practice field was in the same conditions.

I still question how we were so unprepared though. We had to have a clue about the condition of the field and how to prepair for it.

It is kind of like the Vikings game a week earlier. We had the wrong game plan for it and it probably should have cost us in that game.

No matter what the situation as a professional organization we should have prepped for both situations. We were lucky to get the second chance and didn't prepare again.

We deserve to be sitting at home. Hopefully there is a lesson learned here because expecting to get the number 1 seed every year is pretty unrealistic.

mrford

Reaction score
kearly":3oa6smvk said:
Seymour":3oa6smvk said:

Im still wondering how they ensured the field would be complete shit. What should they have done differently?

Laloosh

Reaction score
mrford":2jpw74bj said:

Careful... When you puff your chest out like that you run the risk of a cramp in your back.

ivotuk

Reaction score
By many of the statements here then, the field at FedEx had nothing to do with blowing out Chris Clemon's and RGIIIs knees.

The Seahawks were ill-prepared for the field conditions, just like they were ill-prepared for the heat in San Diego last year. There were people holding giant white boards over the players in SD to give them shade. That's all on Pete and the Equipment Manager.

There's a reason they call it home field "advantage." When your field is shit, you're used to it from playing there all year. For teams that come in to that field, it takes some adjustment. Unfortunately, by the time Seattle adjusted, they were down too far to make a comeback.

I don't think Pete really understands how important preparing for away field conditions and weather is. It takes bodies some time to adjust. If this isn't true, then Jet Lag is an urban legend.

ivotuk

Reaction score
mrford":1g5n8zw2 said:
hey guys, Panthers fan here. Registered just because of this thread.

I dont know if you all have been paying attention to the weather down here in the Carolinas, but we had the wettest november and december on record. january hasnt been much better so far. El Nino has been mean to us and hasnt even offered a reach around!

add that with the ACC championship game, and the Belk Bowl (both of which were played in torrential downpours really messing the field up), and that field has gotten a LOT of use. the sod has been replaced atleast 3 times this season.

even though it is sand based and drains really well, it is ridiculous to expect the field to be in excellent shape. I have been complaining about the conditions of the field for a few months too, so trust me, it wasnt just ruined for the seahawks game.

http://i.imgur.com/eyJHE0x.jpg

the field was even tarped for the early morning snow storm.

Great post.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
ivotuk":w32egp1k said:
By many of the statements here then, the field at FedEx had nothing to do with blowing out Chris Clemon's and RGIIIs knees.

The Seahawks were ill-prepared for the field conditions, just like they were ill-prepared for the heat in San Diego last year. There were people holding giant white boards over the players in SD to give them shade. That's all on Pete and the Equipment Manager.

There's a reason they call it home field "advantage." When your field is shit, you're used to it from playing there all year. For teams that come in to that field, it takes some adjustment. Unfortunately, by the time Seattle adjusted, they were down too far to make a comeback.

I don't think Pete really understands how important preparing for away field conditions and weather is. It takes bodies some time to adjust. If this isn't true, then Jet Lag is an urban legend.

Its a shame the equipment staff and pete were so unprepared. If that note was relating to AFTER the third offensive series we were allready DOWN 24 points when the offense came onto the field for the 4th series...and then we outscored the Panthers 24-7

If it was after the third total series...we were down 14-0 and the Panthers had the ball in which if it could be considered equal at that point with the footing we outscored them 24-17 which is more indicative of what the game SHOULD of been

makkapakka

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":2nnwo428 said:
Did anyone see this ...Apparently the Cards staff talked to our equipment staff and posted up a letter in the locker room

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/ariz ... ice-012116

CZM0C52WYAUplxI

I've seen enough, between this and the six day re sod job count me in the "turf apologist" camp. IMO Carolina's victory will forever be tainted by them having had an undue and unfair advantage. My guess is Pete talked to the team and asked no one to mention it but I'm just a fan and I'll believe what I want.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
makkapakka":27j3eeit said:
WilsonMVP":27j3eeit said:
Did anyone see this ...Apparently the Cards staff talked to our equipment staff and posted up a letter in the locker room

CZM0C52WYAUplxI

I've seen enough, between this and the six day re sod job count me in the "turf apologist" camp. IMO Carolina's victory will forever be tainted by them having had an undue and unfair advantage. My guess is Pete talked to the team and asked no one to mention it but I'm just a fan and I'll believe what I want.
Gamesmanship with the field is part and and parcel of the NFL, and has been for a long time.
Chicago has for years adjusted their field based on who is playing them. Grass as long as 6 inches for a faster team visiting them.
The NFL will say nothing about the Panthers field, unless conditions are embarrassing they see these things as home field advantage.
And shame on Pete and the Hawks for not being ready for it.

randomation

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3e3x22me said:
makkapakka":3e3x22me said:
WilsonMVP":3e3x22me said:

CZM0C52WYAUplxI

Gamesmanship with the field is part and and parcel of the NFL, and has been for a long time.
Chicago has for years adjusted their field based on who is playing them. Grass as long as 6 inches for a faster team visiting them.
The NFL will say nothing about the Panthers field, unless conditions are embarrassing they see these things as home field advantage.
And shame on Pete and the Hawks for not being ready for it.

The conditions were embarrassing honestly I'm just amazed nobody got seriously hurt.

Latest posts