Carolina's MVP was the field today.

soje

Reaction score
johnnyfever":2b3gbfbb said:
SeaChickN":2b3gbfbb said:
Cracks me up how afraid the PC crowd is to assign "blame" to certain things (field, refs, time of day), lest they be labeled whiners. It's OK to explore real issues and problems... From my perspective, I waste a hell of a lot of money and time on this and would appreciate some equity in things that CAN be controlled. I love my team, but the NFL is a fishy business. Oh well.

How do you feel about the opinion that stadium design should be standardized to minimize the crowd noise advantage? The seahawks pay people a lot of money to handle equipment decisions. They arrived in carolina with plenty of time to deal with the field conditions. That we did not do that is on us. Carolina played on the same field we did, but they were prepared for it. It is our fault, not Carolinas, that we had the wrong equipment to start the game. The NFL is not going to standardize playing surface.

We lost mainly because we came out with the same gameplan we started the season with, not with she hot route, intermediate passing option that brought us success. Bevell thought he could take advantage of the depletion at the corner position, but forgot our OL, not our receivers were our main issue. Why Bevell cannot grasp this is beyond me. We have a severe gameplan issue. It shows in nearly every game with a slow first half.

Russell was not making good decisions in the first half. I love the guy, and would want no one else. This is going to happen from time to time, and Bevell needs to give him dink and dunk options to get him into rhythme.

Not being prepared to play in Carolina was 100% our issue.

Isn't it ridiculous that we're having this conversation? How can an NFL team not be prepared for a game? A playoff game, no less? But in the games against the Vikes and Panthers, it did look like we weren't prepared.

Maybe, just maybe, we should stop thinking only about ourselves and give credit to the opponents. The Panthers today, like the Vikings last week, were better prepared than us.

kearly

Reaction score
Chest thumping aside, I don't know how anyone could see Carolina going up on Seattle 31-0 by halftime in normal game conditions.

OceanPanther

Reaction score
Panther fan here..

Thanks for the honest ( as hurtful as it is to say after a loss,, I KNOW ) comments.

To those who still believe the field was the reason for the first half loss,, we both played on the same field.

I think due to the record setting amount of rain we had this past year , the field was replaced 3 times this season. It is what it is.. and as most of you know, the players don't like artificial turf .. they like grass. Both teams have to play on the same field,, and I've seen A LOT worse than what we saw today.

We won't be strangers .. as we again are scheduled to play again next year.. I think in Seattle ?

Just as you like your team,, I like mine and what we'll have coming back.

Maybe some day we'll be good enough to be the favorite :)

minormillikin

Reaction score
Well, if what Troy and Buck said was true, that the Panthers practice field was similar, then it probably was an advantage. But the Seahawks should have figured out the cleat situation before the game even started. So, for this, I grant the Seahawks 3 points.

31-27

And, for the 10am thing, which should have been figured out decades ago, I'll give another 3.

31-30, Panthers still win.

Oh, and the field goal the Seahawks didn't try! Another 3 right there!

33-31, Seahawks win! Someone call the league and explain that the Panthers actually lost, after all!

Man, do I feel better! Off to Arizona! Anyone know a good Seahawks bar in the area?!

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Its not an excuse to say it was a factor in the game, its a fact. Was it the difference in the game? Who knows, but its silly to say it didnt take a role.

To the "both teams played on the same field" crowd, teams adjust their fields to their strengths all the time. Stanford is famous for it. Any time they play a quick, fast team (like my ducks) they dont mow it for a week to make it a slow track.

This field today benefited Carolina. The guys they depend on for offense (Newton, Stewart and Olsen) are all mudders. They're body types and playing style are perfect for the sloppy field. The guys we depend on for offense (Wilson, Baldwin, Lockett) are built for a fast track.

Its not an excuse, but its definitely a factor.

12thbrah

Reaction score
Panthers had our number today. The Hawks had a monumental task after that game in Minnesota and going up against the #1 seed. No excuses. The Hawks showed the world something in the 2nd half. On a neutral field it would be a toss up.

I'm not as bent out of shape for this loss as the SB last year.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
brimsalabim":sgzvvpc6 said:
All this means is that the panther equipment managers are better than ours.
Haha! Yeah, those equipment mgrs CARRIED that team all year!

RichNhansom

Reaction score
I was worried about how draining the weather conditions were in the vikings game. I think the might have just been the perfect trifecta of being drained, in another 10AM start with poor field conditions and the 3rd week on the road.

Oh well it was still a good season and we will back and better next year.

253hawk

Reaction score
I'm just surprised that I saw tons of pics of the field covered up with tarp, then come game time it looked like a swamp. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that a field with the name 'Bank of America' slapped on the side of it looked like ass. Just glad no one blew out a knee on it.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
The first thing I said when we were getting our asses handed to us:

"I hope I don't hear any 12's using the turf as an excuse".

That's just lame. The Seahawks simply got their asses handed to them in the first half.

For you Turf Apologists, why wasn't the turf a big deal to us in the second half?

Hawkboi

Reaction score
Not an excuse but a fact, the team didn't have the right cleats and wasn't prepared for the field conditions in the first half and Carolina did prepare and have the right cleats for the soft and slippery turf. We changed cleats at halftime and then everyone could see the difference. We looked like we were on skates in the first half... Had much better footing in the second half and really made a great effort to make a comeback... Not sure who is responsible for not making sure the team had the proper footing in the first half... But, Coach Pete said before the game he was concerned about the field condition... Why didn't everyone on the team have cleats for the condition? :roll:

253hawk

Reaction score
Aros":1vrvkf4w said:
For you Turf Apologists, why wasn't the turf a big deal to us in the second half?

The sun had been shining on it for a while by then. 8)

Hawkboi

Reaction score
253hawk":3987jytn said:
Aros":3987jytn said:

The sun had been shining on it for a while by then. 8)

It was said they changed cleats and had better footing.... :thfight7: The sun didn't dry it up during halftime.... :141847_bnono:

Foghawk

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":3h4tss20 said:
If they came out with the wrong cleats that is entirely on them. Fire the equipment staff or whoever makes that call.

Pretty much how I feel about it. They had plenty of time pre-game to get it figured out.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
You know what will fix that crappy field?

Getting the #1 seed for the playoffs.

That also fixes the traveling cross country for 2x 10am road games in a row. :th2thumbs:

timmat

Reaction score
Field not the reason for the loss. But I am curious about the problems with grass fields around the league. Washington's field is bad. Carolina had to re-sod 3 times this year apparently. The new Niners stadium has had tons of turf issues. Broncos field looked thrashed today. Is it maybe just that hard to maintain a football field? In a multi billion dollar industry, it would seem teams would always be playing on the best surfaces money could buy. Maybe with all the field turf stadiums I just notice it more.

chris98251

Reaction score
timmat":2n01udzb said:
Field not the reason for the loss. But I am curious about the problems with grass fields around the league. Washington's field is bad. Carolina had to re-sod 3 times this year apparently. The new Niners stadium has had tons of turf issues. Broncos field looked thrashed today. Is it maybe just that hard to maintain a football field? In a multi billion dollar industry, it would seem teams would always be playing on the best surfaces money could buy. Maybe with all the field turf stadiums I just notice it more.

Greed, used to be football stadiums were used by the team and that was about it, then they became multiuse and then places where tournament were held and anything else you can cram into them for revenue to pay them off. Fields don't get time to recover. Not saying that was specific to this situation, the grass type used may have been a shallow rooted grass so it peels away, the heavy rains made it as stated a layer of moss on mud or clay and slippery.

davidonmi

Reaction score
the seahawks got whipped on both lines. don't want to hear about the turf, sorry

SeaChickN

Reaction score
Aros":qu8o0bio said:

Because they got used to it and adjusted? Which is precisely the reason it wasn't such a problem for Carolina. Doesn't seem that hard to understand, actually.

Get HFA next year and we don't have to hear any of this.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
SeaChickN":10yye8sr said:
Aros":10yye8sr said:

Because they got used to it and adjusted? Which is precisely the reason it wasn't such a problem for Carolina. Doesn't seem that hard to understand, actually.

Get HFA next year and we don't have to hear any of this.

Nice user name. :roll: