Cardinals

ringless

Reaction score
Just to be clear it only counts when the Cardinals play a backup. But when the Cardinals use a backup it doesn't count? Was it not lucky for other teams when Palmer was out? You can't have it both ways if you want to make that argument. We had 30 Million on IR last year.

Does that mean Seattles future wins won't count against Chicago. Detroit. And Dallas coming up? Will it make them lucky? Unimpressive even once they win the division again?

Oh and your made up stat is false on top of it all. What we did was impressive. That's the truth.
You say we faced 6 backup QB's in a row starting week 6. Lets take a look.

Week 6 yes we played Kirk Cousins.
Week 7 we played Oaklands starting QB for Oak)
Week 8 We played Nick Foles (starting QB for Philly)
Week 9 We played a backup Rams QB (so did Seattle and SF or am I wrong? Or that doesnt count. Flawed logic again
Week 10 We played a backup with our backup
Week 11 We played Russell Wilson. A starter with out backup.
Week 12 We played Matt Ryan, a starter. With our backup
Week 13 We played Alex Smith, a starter, with our backup
Week 14 We played the Rams backup (again I guess it only counts when AZ plays a backup w/theirs but not SF or Sea with their starters?)
Week 15 We played Russel Wilson again, a starter. With our backup
Week Then we played Kaepernick, with our Backup. So 10 games we were forced to played with a backup. Against 3-4 backups.

Your logic is extremely flawed.

Im not afraid to admit Seattle is better than us. But you act like the Cardinals are a bad team. They are 15-2 at home with Arians. 15-2 in Palmers last 17 games total. They had a top 5 PPG defense last year and have playmakers on offense. They are by no means an old Hyundai you make them out to be.

They do however have Superior coaching to your team, superior talent to your team, and a superior record to your team over the last 3 seasons including this year total. So lets be real. You made up stats. You then used a very flawed logic. I understand you had a traumatizing offseason so I guess I'll give you a pass. I know if that happened to my team I'd find it hard to think clearly, concisely, and with logic as well. I'd most likely be doing the same thing.... Grasping at anything for just the tiniest amount of comfort. . But luckily as a fan Im blessed Im not in a situation where my team quit on me. Retired. Ran to other teams, and couldn't even find coaches that wanted to take promotions to work for my organization.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Jesus people! Get real! Arizona is a good team and could win the division.

Palmer has been injured 3 times in 12 seasons. That's hardly injury prone. Nobody was expecting Romo to go down. It happens. It's stupid to pin your hopes on Palmer being injured this season.

Yes, it DOES matter when your starting QB is hurt. GET REAL. Anyone who is "tired" of hearing that excuse shouldn't be allowed to post on a football forum. If Wilson gets hurt, our season is probably toast. Dallas is in a world of hurt right now. It damn well mattered that Palmer was hurt.

Yet despite that the Cards were a playoff team last year. That's a remarkable acheivement for a team with NO QB.

The year before, when we were SB champs, they beat us in our own house. They were the hot team no one wanted to face in the playoffs.

Now this year they pounded two cream puffs. Pounding cream puffs is what good teams do. Playoff teams are supposed to annihilate the crappy teams. That's a sign right there that they're a playoff team.

Right now, we're 0-2 and I'm not worried about that. But they are 2-0 and they're in the drivers seat and they're a very good team.

chris98251

Reaction score
Cards could run away from the pack easily to GET to the playoffs, track meets are regular season formulas for a record of success. But that's where it stops, playoff time you need a defense that can keep you in games when teams that are upper tier can scheme away your strengths on a few levels. Why the Chargers in the Fouts era, Green Bay recently, most years Manning was with the Colts, it will be fun to watch though.

ringless

Reaction score
chris98251":3sb8nw55 said:
Cards could run away from the pack easily to GET to the playoffs, track meets are regular season formulas for a record of success. But that's where it stops, playoff time you need a defense that can keep you in games when teams that are upper tier can scheme away your strengths on a few levels. Why the Chargers in the Fouts era, Green Bay recently, most years Manning was with the Colts, it will be fun to watch though.

I agree with that on all levels. Our defense is a middle of the pack defense, and not a high caliber defense as it was previously. Our team doesnt appear to be a super bowl caliber team at the moment with the weaknesses we have at ILB and NT

Rex

Reaction score
As I read this thread it is coming across as dream factory stuff rather than reality. The bottom line is this. The Rams went through the laurel forest on the way to Washington and rested on them. That won't happen again. The 11-5 Rams win this division this season.

Better defense, better offense (although AZ has better WRs), better special teams......Papa Rex's Rams! :0190l:

rideaducati

Reaction score
24Th ranked offense and 24th ranked defense. For shits and giggles, find another NFL team ranked that low on both offense and defense that won 11 games in a season. Like I said, FLUKE.

ringless

Reaction score
rideaducati":1nln27mh said:
24Th ranked offense and 24th ranked defense. For shits and giggles, find another NFL team ranked that low on both offense and defense that won 11 games in a season. Like I said, FLUKE.

I believe PPG is more important than Yds but I could be wrong. So they won 10 games the year before. They won 11 games last year. They've won 2 this year.

23 Wins and 11 Losses (5 losses with backup)
And thats all a fluke. But what is a fluke? Tune in later to todays show to find out.

I find it amusing that you can't even give them any credit. They just lucked there way into being one of the best home teams in the NFL and having a .676 winning record under Arians.

Wikipedia:
A fluke is a lucky or improbable occurrence, with the implication that the occurrence could not be repeated.

Yet we see 3 consecutive winning seasons under Arians tenure.

If you are willing to put down your drink. What you are seeing is not a fluke, but a trend. Since I still have wikipedia up I'll go ahead and do the work for you.

Trend: the general course or prevailing tendency; drift:

You see, the tendency is winning, and doing so consistently. Therefore, trending.

rideaducati

Reaction score
ringless":2oexf0wa said:
rideaducati":2oexf0wa said:

I believe PPG is more important than Yds but I could be wrong. So they won 10 games the year before. They won 11 games last year. They've won 2 this year.

23 Wins and 11 Losses (5 losses with backup)
And thats all a fluke. But what is a fluke? Tune in later to todays show to find out.

I find it amusing that you can't even give them any credit. They just lucked there way into being one of the best home teams in the NFL and having a .676 winning record under Arians.

Wikipedia:
A fluke is a lucky or improbable occurrence, with the implication that the occurrence could not be repeated.

Yet we see 3 consecutive winning seasons under Arians tenure.

If you are willing to put down your drink. What you are seeing is not a fluke, but a trend. Since I still have wikipedia up I'll go ahead and do the work for you.

Trend: the general course or prevailing tendency; drift:

You see, the tendency is winning, and doing so consistently. Therefore, trending.

FLUKE...winning 11 games with the 24th ranked offense and the 24th ranked defense. Not likely to occur...is it? In 2013 the Cards had a top 10 defense, so 10 wins was a very probable occurance. Last year was a fluke for the cardinals no matter what you want to convince yourself into believing. The cards had a better record last year, but we're a better team the year before. If the "trend" continues, the Cards will be even worse this year, and since flukes are unlikely to occur, the cardinals record should be worse too. We shall see, but I don't see where the Cards got better.

rideaducati

Reaction score
ringless":6qigx2tp said:
Just to be clear it only counts when the Cardinals play a backup. But when the Cardinals use a backup it doesn't count? Was it not lucky for other teams when Palmer was out? You can't have it both ways if you want to make that argument. We had 30 Million on IR last year.

Does that mean Seattles future wins won't count against Chicago. Detroit. And Dallas coming up? Will it make them lucky? Unimpressive even once they win the division again?

Oh and your made up stat is false on top of it all. What we did was impressive. That's the truth.

Week 9 We played a backup Rams QB (so did Seattle and SF or am I wrong? Or that doesnt count. Flawed logic again
Week 14 We played the Rams backup (again I guess it only counts when AZ plays a backup w/theirs but not SF or Sea with their starters?)
Week Then we played Kaepernick, with our Backup. So 10 games we were forced to played with a backup. Against 3-4 backups.

Im not afraid to admit Seattle is better than us. But you act like the Cardinals are a bad team. They are 15-2 at home with Arians. 15-2 in Palmers last 17 games total. They had a top 5 PPG defense last year and have playmakers on offense. They are by no means an old Hyundai you make them out to be.

They do however have Superior coaching to your team, superior talent to your team, and a superior record to your team over the last 3 seasons including this year total. So lets be real. You made up stats. You then used a very flawed logic. I understand you had a traumatizing offseason so I guess I'll give you a pass. I know if that happened to my team I'd find it hard to think clearly, concisely, and with logic as well. I'd most likely be doing the same thing.... Grasping at anything for just the tiniest amount of comfort. . But luckily as a fan Im blessed Im not in a situation where my team quit on me. Retired. Ran to other teams, and couldn't even find coaches that wanted to take promotions to work for my organization.

That last paragraph makes no sense. Coaching, talent, and record is in the cardinals favor? Let's see here 36 wins for Seattle in just the regular season and 30 for the Cards. If the Cards actually had better talent, but have won fewer games with better talent, how could coaching be better in Arizona? What trauma have I had to endure this off season?

You figured out what a fluke was all on your own. It's not my fault you are having difficulty associating fluke with the 2014 Cardinals. Keep trying, it will come to you.

I apologize for being wrong, the Cards played 5 backup QBs in six games. Carr was backup to Shaub but was thrust into starting when Shaub was playing poorly or hurt.

ringless

Reaction score
rideaducati":34rmyu5k said:
ringless":34rmyu5k said:

That last paragraph makes no sense. Coaching, talent, and record is in the cardinals favor? Let's see here 36 wins for Seattle in just the regular season and 30 for the Cards. If the Cards actually had better talent, but have won fewer games with better talent, how could coaching be better in Arizona? What trauma have I had to endure this off season?

You figured out what a fluke was all on your own. It's not my fault you are having difficulty associating fluke with the 2014 Cardinals. Keep trying, it will come to you.

I apologize for being wrong, the Cards played 5 backup QBs in six games. Carr was backup to Shaub but was thrust into starting when Shaub was playing poorly or hurt.

For some reason I thought you were a 49ers fan.
But your logic still does work. Okay so the Cardinals played 5 backup QB's which is your reasoning.

The Seahawks played the Rams backup twice.
The Cardinals back up, then the Cardinals backups backup
The Redskins backup Kirk Cousins
Then they played Carr who was Shrubs backup in your explanation
Then they play the Eagles backup Sanchez

So 7 backup QB's and barely slipped past the Cardinals who played 5 Backup QB's (your reason they won 11 games)

So how many games then would the Seahawks have won if they had to play the Starters? You still want it both ways which just isn't fair. The Cardinals wins don't count but the Seahawks do?

AZ Played 10 Games with a backup QB
Seattle Played zero games using a backup QB

On the flip Side AZ played 5 games against A backup QB
Seattle Played 7 games with a backup QB

A 12 game advantage in Seattles favor. You do not think with a reversed scenario that AZ would have closed that 1 game gap? That just ridiculous, blind, homerism.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Just as a point of clarification, Save for the first two pre-season games Carr was never Schaub's backup. He beat him out in the pre-season and was the Week 1 starter and the starter throughout the year.

Even if you want say Schaub's shoulder injury had something to do with it, Schaub was a full practice participant in Week 1 and was on the active 46 as the backup QB in week 1 too (if it was just because he was injured he would have been left off and McGloin would have been on the active 46 instead, which he wasn't). If Carr got injured in Week 1 his backup would have gone in, and that was Matt Schaub.

Basically, saying Carr played last year as Schaub's backup is the equivalent of saying that Wilson played 2012 as Flynn's backup.

It just ain't true.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3lyqjzkb said:
Just as a point of clarification, Save for the first two pre-season games Carr was never Schaub's backup. He beat him out in the pre-season and was the Week 1 starter and the starter throughout the year.

Even if you want say Schaub's shoulder injury had something to do with it, Schaub was a full practice participant in Week 1 and was on the active 46 as the backup QB in week 1 too (if it was just because he was injured he would have been left off and McGloin would have been on the active 46 instead, which he wasn't). If Carr got injured in Week 1 his backup would have gone in, and that was Matt Schaub.

Basically, saying Carr played last year as Schaub's backup is the equivalent of saying that Wilson played 2012 as Flynn's backup.

It just ain't true.

Either way, cardinal season was a fluke.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Lets give credit where credit is due. The Cardinals are a good team.

They have had some help from the schedule makers, I'd expect them to start 4-0 as I think they should beat the Niners and Rams at home the next 2 weeks. But after that check out their schedule, it's definitely tough:

Week 5: @ Lions
Week 6: @ Steelers
Week 7: Ravens
Week 8: @ Browns
Week 9: BYE
Week 10: @ Seahawks
Week 11: Bengals

I think if they go 3-3 from week 5-11 they come out on top. It looks like 2-4 to me. Those road games on the east coast are going to be tough.

I say they start 4-0, and then go 2-4, putting them at 6-4 after week 11.

ringless

Reaction score
‏@Kyle_Odegard 16m16 minutes ago
Impressive stat via @fbgchase in his @nytimes column: #AZCardinals are 14-2, outscoring opponents by 160 pts in Palmer's past 16 starts.

#gamesofflukes
Episode 17 this Sunday! Cant wait to watch

rideaducati

Reaction score
ringless":10osmlex said:
‏@Kyle_Odegard 16m16 minutes ago
Impressive stat via @fbgchase in his @nytimes column: #AZCardinals are 14-2, outscoring opponents by 160 pts in Palmer's past 16 starts.

#gamesofflukes
Episode 17 this Sunday! Cant wait to watch

Wow. :roll: The only problem with that stat is that it took him three seasons to play those 16 games and the best teams he faced last year were led by Drew Stanton and Brandon Weeden. Congrats.

rideaducati

Reaction score
ringless":6fdehbbe said:
rideaducati":6fdehbbe said:
ringless":6fdehbbe said:

For some reason I thought you were a 49ers fan.
But your logic still does work. Okay so the Cardinals played 5 backup QB's which is your reasoning.

The Seahawks played the Rams backup twice.
The Cardinals back up, then the Cardinals backups backup
The Redskins backup Kirk Cousins
Then they played Carr who was Shrubs backup in your explanation
Then they play the Eagles backup Sanchez

So 7 backup QB's and barely slipped past the Cardinals who played 5 Backup QB's (your reason they won 11 games)

So how many games then would the Seahawks have won if they had to play the Starters? You still want it both ways which just isn't fair. The Cardinals wins don't count but the Seahawks do?

AZ Played 10 Games with a backup QB
Seattle Played zero games using a backup QB

On the flip Side AZ played 5 games against A backup QB
Seattle Played 7 games with a backup QB

A 12 game advantage in Seattles favor. You do not think with a reversed scenario that AZ would have closed that 1 game gap? That just ridiculous, blind, homerism.

My point to this whole conversation was about how cards fans were claiming that if their QB hadn't been hurt, they would have won the division. I simply pointed out that they were actually quite fortunate with the amount of teams they played that were without their starting QB. The Seahawks didn't lose their QB, so I didn't mention the backup QBs they went against because Seahawk fans aren't crying foul because their QB wasn't hurt.

Come on, playing the Cowboys and the Lions the only week that their starting QB is on the shelf isn't fortunate? That seems kind of fluky to me.

The Chiefs had almost the same fortune two years ago and they won 11 games too. They fell back to where they belong last season because they couldn't repeat the flukes. They played about six games when their opponent was without one of their best two players

I expect the Cards to fall back this year because I believe they were, and are, a .500 team that was very fortunate in a few of their games last year. That is MY opinion. I think they'll finish the season within one game of 8-8, so maybe 9-7 or 7-9.

canfan

Reaction score
ringless":1nyumi3q said:
chris98251":1nyumi3q said:

I agree with that on all levels. Our defense is a middle of the pack defense, and not a high caliber defense as it was previously. Our team doesnt appear to be a super bowl caliber team at the moment with the weaknesses we have at ILB and NT

That may be true about your defense...I don't know as I haven't had a chance to watch any of your games yet this year. But my impression was that your secondary is very good and matches up well against most teams. Could this be a reason that the D isn't as aggressive as it has been in years past? Blitzing is a great way to cover up a poor secondary. Good defenses can afford to play a more conservative game and wait for the other team to make a mistake. Maybe its not so much that Arizona's D is not as good as last year as it is a switch in philosophy from the new coordinator?