Can Doug Baldwins 2018 stats be covered this season ?

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
I'm with most here, his numbers can be repeated, but it's his football IQ, his route-running, his ability to get open, and his reliable hands that will be way more difficult to replicate.

McGruff

Reaction score
Dont need to replicate Doug.

Just replace his production, which was hampered due to injury anyway.

The toughest part to replace with Doug is his fire.

Who are our offensive leaders?

Brown and . . . ? Carson?

Fade

Reaction score
Baldwin even while hurt last year was awesome on 3rd down to keep the chains moving.

Lockett & Metcalf are down the field types, though Lockett can easily transition into being Wilson's security blanket on 3rd downs underneath. I just have to see it consistently first.

They are tweaking the offense this year. They will run play action pass more on early downs, and they will throw to the backs more on 1st & 2nd to keep themselves out of 3rd and long.

There run % will drop a little bit on 1st down, but I still expect them to lead the league in that category.

I think people are going to be shocked by the numbers that DK puts up. He won't have high volume in terms of total catches, but his TD numbers and YPC are going to be really high. Play action pass, against an 8 man box from the opponents 40 with DK streaking deep 1-on-1. Good luck defending that.

So in terms of raw stats, yes Baldwin's numbers will be made up. The key here is to mitigate Baldwin's most valuable trait they will miss most by getting to more 3rd and manageable so the QB doesn't have to constantly throw from 3rd and long so much like he had to last year.

Russell Wilson was 2nd in the NFL in terms of the % of his passes coming on 3rd and longs. This will be corrected this year.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
xray":1w54t5x3 said:
ImTheScientist":1w54t5x3 said:
DK will obliterate those stats.

Doubtful that a 3rd or 4th option at WR gets enough targets to obliterate any stats . Metcalf has proved nothing yet. Lets see how camp goes.

Hi

Jville

Reaction score
They will move on to another mix of targets ..... because they must.

For example .......... did you know that 2018 saw the fewest number of tight end snaps in the last seven years?

I would expect to that strengthened group's collective snap count to increase by at least 200 or 300 more snaps.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
2018 stats, sure. 2017, not likely. But, guys retire and you have to move on. They will miss a LOT from Doug. Not just his ability to get open, incredible hands, ability to make touch catches, blocking ability and his leadership.
I'm hoping that at some point he comes back to help with the receivers.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
The team will also miss the spark that Doug's timely catches brought to the offense. Like Engram, Doug had a way of making crazy good catches at important moments, long 3rd downs, etc. Those successes give hope and momentum to an offense; we'll see if Tyler or someone else (Ursua? Jennings? Metcalf?) can fill that very large role this year.

McGruff

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":ammvd0p7 said:
The team will also miss the spark that Doug's timely catches brought to the offense. Like Engram, Doug had a way of making crazy good catches at important moments, long 3rd downs, etc. Those successes give hope and momentum to an offense; we'll see if Tyler or someone else (Ursua? Jennings? Metcalf?) can fill that very large role this year.

It's not going to be a WR. It is going to be a TE.

Specifically, Dissly.

Will was a chain mover at UW, and has the skills to grow in that role in the NFL.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
"Who will replace all the TDs that I'm Jimmy scored?"

We heard that a lot also. I don't think that was actually a problem. I don't think this is either.

McGruff

Reaction score
GeekHawk":quiito9w said:
"Who will replace all the TDs that I'm Jimmy scored?"

We heard that a lot also. I don't think that was actually a problem. I don't think this is either.

Yep.

The leadership is the biggest void to fill. The production will be covered.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
McGruff":3rnvgjcb said:
Ad Hawk":3rnvgjcb said:

It's not going to be a WR. It is going to be a TE.

Specifically, Dissly.

Will was a chain mover at UW, and has the skills to grow in that role in the NFL.

I'd love this; he was my adopt-a-rookie!

But it also means we're getting our TEs involved in the passing game which makes the offense less predictable, more difficult to cover.

I also hope we're in far less 3rd-and-long positions, or even less 3rd-down situations at all. Why can't we work toward needing 3rd down less? I know, I know, it's because most runs rarely yield 5 yards per.

chris98251

Reaction score
This will be our new Era, Baldwin retiring opens up everyone's roles and they have to take it, Lockett and DK seem to be big play focal points but with the offense opening up more we may see more RB receptions and yes using the TE to catch passes more then desperation plays. I don't think you will see a whole lot of favorite type targets early, it will be spread it around till Wilson gets comfortable with the new offensive sets with new players and they prove themselves, he really stopped going to Moore after the three drop game last year.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I would love to see a lot more screen passes to the RB's. Teams have toasted us on that and it's just a solid play. I'll take a RB over most LB one on one in open space.

McGruff

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3g81qhjf said:
I would love to see a lot more screen passes to the RB's. Teams have toasted us on that and it's just a solid play. I'll take a RB over most LB one on one in open space.

For whatever reason we suck at screens. Bot sure if it's a practice thing or a Russ thing.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Forget Doug's stats...

What we have to replace is his clutch factor, and how confident Russ is throwing his way. Doug made countless critical 3rd down conversion catches, sideline tiptoe dances, etc. It would seem Lockett is going to be the guy that Russ goes to in those situations now, and I think he is ready for that.

But, big shoes to fill for sure.

chris98251

Reaction score
McGruff":3karpql9 said:
SoulfishHawk":3karpql9 said:

For whatever reason we suck at screens. Bot sure if it's a practice thing or a Russ thing.

Well a screen works best when you have great actors selling another play, we couldn't block on a normal play so most defenses looked at us as business as usual many times, lets see how well this line can inflict their will on a defense, if it can screens will work better.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
McGruff":knwt4gbo said:
We may pass more in 2019. But it wont be substantially more. That's not what Pete wants to be. It never has been. That isnt ever going to change.

That's my point.

And I believe Wilson is highly capable. Beat in history at making something out of nothing. Best in the league at throwing the deep pass. Marvellously efficient. Hes amazing.

But he has flaws. He has weaknesses. And the short middle has always been a glaring weakness.
See 2015.

toffee

Reaction score
The shoes of a “best of all time” have always been hard to fill, but a capable OC can replace Angry’s contribution with different design and community approach.

Personally I would like to see more TE contributions, RB catching balls, etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John63

Reaction score
xray":27n67npo said:
McGruff":27n67npo said:
xray":27n67npo said:
McGruff":27n67npo said:
No team is ever one dimensional.

That is a straw man. A silly simplification.

According to the posts ; simple is necessary for this offense . God forbid that they dare venture outside their limited box. They will surely perish . I also want to read more about Wilson's limitations that someone threw out there .

That would be me.

What you are essentially saying is that you want a new head coach. Because this is who Pete is. And it's not changing unless it is absolutely failing over a prolonged period of time.

Advanced stats have demonstrated that the short middle is a gaping and inefficient hole for Wilson. Eye test backs that up.

I never said I want a new head coach did I ? I said that Carroll will open up the offense this season with more pass plays ; in particular in the slot ; but you say that Wilson is inefficient in short middle pass plays . I know that Wilson is more capable than you give him credit for . Just let the man play !!!

More important than what anyone thinks is the fact he has a very high complt % and qb rating in the middle. The issue is they don't run alot of those because as PC has said there is a greater risk of problems over the middle with deflections, balls batted up, etc. PC has said he does not throwing over the middle.

John63

Reaction score
McGruff":1jfoulm7 said:
We may pass more in 2019. But it wont be substantially more. That's not what Pete wants to be. It never has been. That isnt ever going to change.

That's my point.

And I believe Wilson is highly capable. Beat in history at making something out of nothing. Best in the league at throwing the deep pass. Marvellously efficient. Hes amazing.

But he has flaws. He has weaknesses. And the short middle has always been a glaring weakness.

Okay any facts or stats to support that?

Latest posts