Can Doug Baldwins 2018 stats be covered this season ?

Tical21

Reaction score
xray":26urvgw7 said:
McGruff":26urvgw7 said:
Tical21":26urvgw7 said:
xray":26urvgw7 said:
If they pass more it means that they have decided to open up the offense and let Wilson do his thing . They can hopefully get faster starts get leads early and force their opponents to play catch up ball instead of the Hawks playing from behind far too much . I am confident that Carroll is going to open up the passing game regardless of what some think.
Been there, seen that, never wanna go back. If you watched the previous 3-4 seasons and didn't realize how desperately we need to be run-dominant, I'm not sure I can work with you on this. One way we win, one way we lose.

Also, see games 1 and 2.

So be run-dominant or lose. I totally disagree . IMO if they stay in a run first and foremost rut ; then a 10-6 season is all they can hope for . If they open up the offense they should win the division .
If they open up the offense I don't believe 10-6 is possible. We don't have a pass-blocking line, we have a run blocking TE, we have one receiver that has proven to be better than average, and even he isn't great at getting open in short/intermediate game. We have a QB that is somewhat limited in his ability to execute against complex coverages. We need to run to simplify the coverages that we see, and then we let Russ, Tyler and DK assassinate down the field. That's what our whole team is built to do, it's what they do best, and it is how they've been very successful over the past 9 seasons.

We were pass dominant in 16, 17, and the first two games of 18. And it was really, really hard to watch. And that was with Doug Baldwin in top form and Jimmy Graham.

McGruff

Reaction score
Pete's offense is really simple, easy to execute, and effective 90% of the time.

Run the ball to suck the defense forward.

Then hit then over the top with deep passing. Goal balls. ;)

There is a small fraction of defenses in a small fraction of circumstances that can effectively defend both power running and deep passing.

Dallas happened to be one of them.

We do need to develop a third pitch though. Given Russ' limitations the best option is an outside screen and swing game.

Tical21

Reaction score
McGruff":wtrnsd5w said:
Pete's offense is really simple, easy to execute, and effective 90% of the time.

Run the ball to suck the defense forward.

Then hit then over the top with deep passing. Goal balls. ;)

There is a small fraction of defenses in a small fraction of circumstances that can effectively defend both power running and deep passing.

Dallas happened to be one of them.

We do need to develop a third pitch though. Given Russ' limitations the best option is an outside screen and swing game.
Yeah, I did think there were more yards to be had by getting Penny outside than running Carson up into the teeth, but he'd be running up into the teeth of stacked boxes plenty, and with good success. No reason to give up on it immediately.

McGruff

Reaction score
Hitting the hashes with either sweeps or swings or screens accomplishes the same result as deep passing, but in a different way.

McGruff

Reaction score
Same thing with running Russ on options, although I get the hesitancy there.

We have to find another way to draw defenders out of the box besides deep passing.

We need a change up.

Tical21

Reaction score
McGruff":3st48ozx said:
Same thing with running Russ on options, although I get the hesitancy there.

We have to find another way to draw defenders out of the box besides deep passing.

We need a change up.
Nah, just throw our fastball harder.

OP
OP
xray

xray

Reaction score
So let me try to understand... according to the last couple posts ; the Hawks will have to be stuck in basically a one dimension offense because of Wilson's limitations with reading coverage and an OL that can only play the run game . That doesn't show much confidence in Wilson the OL or the receivers .

McGruff

Reaction score
xray":2h709luo said:
So let me try to understand... according to the last couple posts ; the Hawks will have to be stuck in basically a one dimension offense because of Wilson's limitations with reading coverage and an OL that can only play the run game . That doesn't show much confidence in Wilson the OL or the receivers .

No team is ever one dimensional.

That is a straw man. A silly simplification.

McGruff

Reaction score
We will always focus on running the ball as the bread and butter foundation of our offense. Always. It is futile to hope for anything else.

We will pass deep off of the run. It accomplishes two things Pete loves. Big plays. And softening the front of the defense. Thus resulting in more favorable running fronts.

It's two dimensional, but always coming back to running.

There is a second factor as well. Russ cant throw effectively to the short middle. He just cant. And yes, height is a factor.

And a third factor. We will build a running line. Because of job number one.

Tical21

Reaction score
xray":ow1uneor said:
I have all the confidence in the world in Russ when he has space and time. He's literally the best QB in the league when he gets that. I do not have confidence in our line to pass block outside of Duane Brown. I do not have confidence in our receivers to get open, no. I don't know if that makes me a pessimist or what, but these concerns can all be pretty easily justified on the tape.

OP
OP
xray

xray

Reaction score
McGruff":368efyur said:
xray":368efyur said:

According to the posts ; simple is necessary for this offense . God forbid that they dare venture outside their limited box. They will surely perish . I also want to read more about Wilson's limitations that someone threw out there .

McGruff

Reaction score
I have confidence in Russ to do HIS thing.

Which is create time and maximize his opportunities by throwing the best deep ball in the league.

And be a world class corn ball while doing it.

McGruff

Reaction score
xray":2ig9l9tf said:
McGruff":2ig9l9tf said:
xray":2ig9l9tf said:

According to the posts ; simple is necessary for this offense . God forbid that they dare venture outside their limited box. They will surely perish . I also want to read more about Wilson's limitations that someone threw out there .

That would be me.

What you are essentially saying is that you want a new head coach. Because this is who Pete is. And it's not changing unless it is absolutely failing over a prolonged period of time.

Advanced stats have demonstrated that the short middle is a gaping and inefficient hole for Wilson. Eye test backs that up.

OP
OP
xray

xray

Reaction score
McGruff":3gfhvyh0 said:
xray":3gfhvyh0 said:
McGruff":3gfhvyh0 said:
xray":3gfhvyh0 said:

That would be me.

What you are essentially saying is that you want a new head coach. Because this is who Pete is. And it's not changing unless it is absolutely failing over a prolonged period of time.

Advanced stats have demonstrated that the short middle is a gaping and inefficient hole for Wilson. Eye test backs that up.

I never said I want a new head coach did I ? I said that Carroll will open up the offense this season with more pass plays ; in particular in the slot ; but you say that Wilson is inefficient in short middle pass plays . I know that Wilson is more capable than you give him credit for . Just let the man play !!!

McGruff

Reaction score
We may pass more in 2019. But it wont be substantially more. That's not what Pete wants to be. It never has been. That isnt ever going to change.

That's my point.

And I believe Wilson is highly capable. Beat in history at making something out of nothing. Best in the league at throwing the deep pass. Marvellously efficient. Hes amazing.

But he has flaws. He has weaknesses. And the short middle has always been a glaring weakness.

OP
OP
xray

xray

Reaction score
Tical21":1vmdfoju said:
xray":1vmdfoju said:
I have all the confidence in the world in Russ when he has space and time. He's literally the best QB in the league when he gets that. I do not have confidence in our line to pass block outside of Duane Brown. I do not have confidence in our receivers to get open, no. I don't know if that makes me a pessimist or what, but these concerns can all be pretty easily justified on the tape.

The topic was replacing Baldwin's production from last year and some don't seem to think that will happen . IMO Ursua will pick up the slack in the slot . Dallas exposed the Hawks run game and others will figure it out too. The teams in the NFL always figure things out . The defensive coordinators of our scheduled opponents are already planning to stuff the run. They can't stop it ; but they will whittle the run production down some at least. The Hawks will pass more because of and in spite of that. IMO

Tical21

Reaction score
xray":326i340p said:
Tical21":326i340p said:
xray":326i340p said:

The topic was replacing Baldwin's production from last year and some don't seem to think that will happen . IMO Ursua will pick up the slack in the slot . Dallas exposed the Hawks run game and others will figure it out too. The teams in the NFL always figure things out . The defensive coordinators of our scheduled opponents are already planning to stuff the run. They can't stop it ; but they will whittle the run production down some at least. The Hawks will pass more because of and in spite of that. IMO
Do I think they can cover them from the slot position? No. I honestly have a hard time seeing Ursua making the team. I didn't have him as a legit NFL prospect. I am a little more interested in seeing what Jennings can do from there, but I think it will be Lockett's job anyways. Can Lockett play well enough in the slot and can DK have a big year?

My fears are in the red zone. Teams that tried to play man against us got torched by Doug on out-breaking routes. It was candy. Tyler can't get open that way. Maybe Ursua? I dunno, but I think 3rd downs and red zone are where we are going to miss Doug. That's where someone has to step up. I don't care about covering his stats, we can find guys to catch some balls, I care about 3rd downs and red zone.

McGruff

Reaction score
Tical21":3nnv0f62 said:
xray":3nnv0f62 said:
Tical21":3nnv0f62 said:
xray":3nnv0f62 said:

Do I think they can cover them from the slot position? No. I honestly have a hard time seeing Ursua making the team. I didn't have him as a legit NFL prospect. I am a little more interested in seeing what Jennings can do from there, but I think it will be Lockett's job anyways. Can Lockett play well enough in the slot and can DK have a big year?

My fears are in the red zone. Teams that tried to play man against us got torched by Doug on out-breaking routes. It was candy. Tyler can't get open that way. Maybe Ursua? I dunno, but I think 3rd downs and red zone are where we are going to miss Doug. That's where someone has to step up. I don't care about covering his stats, we can find guys to catch some balls, I care about 3rd downs and red zone.

I suspect that is where Dissley and Dixon and Vannett make some hay.

McGruff

Reaction score
And Dallas exposed the Hawks run game because that's how they are built. And we were hurt.

Most team cant do what Dallas did without putting 8 In the box, and Wilson will kill 8 man boxes with deep passes.

OP
OP
xray

xray

Reaction score
well this chit got off topic lol...something to do..while we wait...good points by everybody. GO HAWKS

Latest posts