Bruce Irvin 2016 ?

QuahHawk

Reaction score
He's not worth more to this team than Wanger and KJ. His value increases in our system since he is versatile enough to fill in at DE on occasion. Yet he is not as good at his primary role as both other LB's. I would be fine if we could keep him in the $5-6 apy range, makes me wish we had kept Tate around for his money.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":3brwea83 said:
If I'm looking at purely value in terms of the draft, then I say no.

Linebackers are perhaps the best/easiest positions to find quality starter players in the 50-125 overall range. You rarely see LBs taken in the top 20 -- and usually those are strictly pass rushers.

Irvin's position isn't a pass rush position (SAM). And Irvin's pass rush opportunities have come when he's being used situationally. Normally, you'd say this too about your MLB -- but Wagner has consistently shown he can have a special impact even at that position. You keep special players in that respect. You don't keep good/not special players. That's how you arrive at Sean Lee kind of deals.

Getting an NFL starter grade strong side OLB is about as easy as it comes in the 3rd and 4th round range. I would plow this position under ever single time the starter comes up for their 2nd deal. And use that cash elsewhere. Unless they were truly transcendent. Which Irvin is not.

Consider getting an Irvin replacement and whatever passes for a Mathis type UFA deal in the next offseason. Every year there are some guys who get cut that would improve the team on the short term.

Good post. Irvin is a transcendent athlete, but he doesn't have that kind of impact as a player.

And to be fair, Sean Lee is that good when he's healthy. Problem is, he's never healthy. Kind of like Okung, only worse.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Irvin hasn't set the world on fire this year, but he's been solid overall, and knows our scheme.
He's an important player against big running QBs like Newton, and formerly, Kaep.
In particular, Irvin's speed kept Kaep from running on "The Tip" and other plays and induced that throw from Kaep.

He's kind of a hothead/meathead/legend in his own mind, without quite all the football savvy just yet.
His speed and athleticism are practically off the charts. (Thankfully, he's no Aaron Curry)

I'd like to see us keep him, if at all possible. Recall that he didn't really even play football until college. I believe he still has some good upside. Another year or two of maturity wouldn't hurt either. He's worth keeping if we possibly can.

Rob12

Reaction score
I'd love to keep Bruce but I wouldn't pay him more than $4-5M. He's a good player, but he came into the league old. He'll be 29 by mid season next year. He's not young, and his production thus far in his career simply does not warrant much.

Someone will pay him more, and considering his age, he's going to the highest bidder. Maybe that will be the Seahawks. Maybe it won't.

I really think PC/JS need to pump some serious resources into the offensive line. I'd look to draft Bruce's replacement or roll with KPL next year. I agree with kearly in that I have never been all that impressed with KPL, but maybe he can be coached up and get the job done.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
I like Bruce. He's a solid LB and DE but compared to the rest of the defense he is middle of the pack in creating positive plays.

When it comes down to it should we pay him more than anyone else in the league? No, I don't think we should.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Irvin is exactly that type of above average starter that good teams lose in dealing with the cap and bad teams overpay for.

Atlanta is the obvious choice, but I think the 9ers could be players too.

He fits the scheme of a 3-4 rush olb, they have a need there with Brooks gone, they'll have some 60 odd million in cap room, and Baalke had worked out a deal to move up for him in the low to mid 20s until the Hawks took him at 15 (why I've always thought that the argument that the Hawks "reached" for him was mostly nonsense).

Not saying I think it would be a GOOD move for them (again, I think he'll be overpaid) but if not the Falcons (which IMO it will be) it makes a lot of sense.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Pretty much what Popeye said, "Irvin is exactly that type of above average starter that good teams lose in dealing with the cap and bad teams overpay for."

He IS an asset against big, fast running QBs like Cam Newton and Kaep, both as a spy and as a blitzer. He he is that rare LB who is fast enough to run them down.

We won't overpay for him. Someone else probably will. Quinn's Falcons, or maybe Rex Ryan's Bills.
I suspect the only way Irvin is still in Seattle next year is if he has a lackluster year due to injury problems. That seems to be what is happening thus far. So, I'm telling you, re Irvin sticking around, "there's a chance". Cue the Jim Carrey Dumb and Dumber video from Youtube...

olyfan63

Reaction score
He'll be a Seahawk in 2016! I'm telling you... there's a chance!

[youtube]yCFB2akLh4s[/youtube]

RiverDog

Reaction score
I can't see any scenario where he stays. The bigger question will be whether or not we re-sign Okung, although I think that he, too, will be gone.

olyfan63

Reaction score
He's still several years behind in football experience, plus the change to LB in the pros. IIRC, he played *safety* in JuCo. Didn't play much high school ball, as he was academically ineligible. If the price is reasonable... I'd like to see us keep him for the upside that might still be in there as his increasing experience also increases his football smarts.