Baldy's Breakdown of Cross & Lucas

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Seriously, when a team can draft potential starting bookend tackles from a single draft that is a good sign of things to come.
When is the last time that happened, and who were the players?

I don't know. I'm asking.

toffee

Reaction score
If Cross and Lucas hot pro-bowl in couple of years, this would be one of our draft success story. Traditionally, QB, LT, ED, CB are the money position, if 60% of our draftees pen out, we might just landed ourself with LT, ED and CB. With that we could afford to draft a high ceiling QB that might need a year on the sideline, then sign a big $$ vet QB for short term.

Own The West

Reaction score
If Cross and Lucas hot pro-bowl in couple of years, this would be one of our draft success story. Traditionally, QB, LT, ED, CB are the money position, if 60% of our draftees pen out, we might just landed ourself with LT, ED and CB. With that we could afford to draft a high ceiling QB that might need a year on the sideline, then sign a big $$ vet QB for short term.
Cross, Lucas, Woolen, Bryant, and Mafe all look to be solid contributors in year one. Walker too even if RB is not as highly valued.

toffee

Reaction score
Cross, Lucas, Woolen, Bryant, and Mafe all look to be solid contributors in year one. Walker too even if RB is not as highly valued.
Apparently Woolen and Bryant both sucked in this game, may be a bit of rookie first game thing?

Own The West

Reaction score
Apparently Woolen and Bryant both sucked in this game, may be a bit of rookie first game thing?
They were rookies playing their first NFL game after running with the 2s all camp. Define 'sucked'...

Woolen completely blew his assignment on the first TD. Bryant got beat for a TD too, right with the guy but didn't get his head around or hack at the ball. Good "welcome to the NFL" moments for both.

Both guys were sticky though; think stride for stride and not scared. It's easy to see these guys becoming starters soon.

Smellyman

Reaction score
They were rookies playing their first NFL game after running with the 2s all camp. Define 'sucked'...

Woolen completely blew his assignment on the first TD. Bryant got beat for a TD too, right with the guy but didn't get his head around or hack at the ball. Good "welcome to the NFL" moments for both.

Both guys were sticky though; think stride for stride and not scared. It's easy to see these guys becoming starters soon.
and both didn't have the luxury of Diggs patrolling behind them

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Thx for sharing. Those guys were pancaking and throwing guys around. Very impressive for their first ever NFL action. And hearing it from a former player, I take a lot more out of it.

sutz

Reaction score
Thx for sharing. Those guys were pancaking and throwing guys around. Very impressive for their first ever NFL action. And hearing it from a former player, I take a lot more out of it.
I did see some minor things that could be a problem later. I saw quite a bit of hands outside the frame, on shoulders and upper arms, especially with Cross. I'm sure the coaches will work on that. Refs watch for that pretty closely.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It sure seemed like a LOT of blatant holds by the Steelers were ignored. But it's the Steelers, so complaining about them feels natural.

Jac

Reaction score

I remember one of Shawn Springs first games against the Broncos. He got completely abused by Ed McCaffrey. They'll adjust. Usually my "glass is half full" optimism with rookie classes has already crashed back to reality by now. Not this time. This feels like a special class.