Back to Reality

Ruminator

Reaction score
With the Athletics winning more now than they were before the All Star break (including sweeping the Asterisks and taking 2 out of 3 in the recent series vs Angels), the Ms are going to need to find a way to get it together if their intentions are to stay north of .500 and be a wild card finalist. Six games vs As remaining, and I'm not so sure we can continue to say "once done with Asterisks and Yanks, the rest of our schedule will be easy." J-Rod returning should help some, but I mourn the loss of whatever it was the M's "got" that seemed to bolster their hitting confidence en route to the 14-game win streak. Whoever fiddled with the DIP switches, please set them back!

Chapow

Reaction score
Such a Mariners thing to do. Win a series against the Yankees in New York, only to come back home and shit the bed against a bad team that has pretty much given up on the season.

6 runs in 3 games against the Angels. Stuff like this is happening too often. Too many stretches, lasting too long, where the bats are just ice cold.

They've played 16 games since the all star break. They've scored 2 or less runs in 8 of those games. Can't keep that up if they want to make the playoffs.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Good teams lose to bad teams all the time in baseball. We just need to minimize it. I think the team letdown a bit after winning by the series against the Yankees.

The offense just needs to be more consistent. We need to get some of consistent production from guys outside of France and Julio. I think it will be pretty clear in the off-season we will need to add an established bat we can rely on. Someone who has had sustained success unlike Winker who only did it for one season.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
2-2 split isn't the end of the world, WITHOUT JULIO.
Should have won 3 of 4, but whatever. On to the Yankees series.

Chapow

Reaction score
Good teams lose to bad teams all the time in baseball. We just need to minimize it. I think the team letdown a bit after winning by the series against the Yankees.

Yes, of course. Good teams lose to bad teams all the time in every sport. It's one of the reasons many of us find sports so compelling. You never know what's going to happen.
My post was mostly commenting on the lack of offense lately. Again, before yesterday they had played 16 games since the all star break. They scored 2 or less runs in 8 of those games. If you're a fringe wildcard team, like the M's, that probably isn't going to cut it.

The offense just needs to be more consistent. We need to get some of consistent production from guys outside of France and Julio.

Exactly. This is pretty much what I was saying.

I think it will be pretty clear in the off-season we will need to add an established bat we can rely on. Someone who has had sustained success unlike Winker who only did it for one season.

Winker was a career .288 hitter over 5 seasons in Cincinnati before coming to Seattle. Don't think the "he only did it for 1 season" applies to him.

Same with Frazier. Career .281 hitter in 6 seasons before coming to Seattle.

No idea why these guys have done so much worse this season than any reasonable person could have expected. They were both good pick ups by the M's (and so was Suarez). It's just unfortunate they've underperformed compared to their career averages (and not just in BA, in a lot of categories).

sutz

Reaction score
Frazier has been coming around. Winker has at least been teasing his power numbers.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
The Astro's just got swept by the A's. Come on, it happens.
But, the offense is pathetic, WAY more than it is good.

OP
OP
W

Welshers

The Astro's just got swept by the A's. Come on, it happens.
But, the offense is pathetic, WAY more than it is good.
The second Julio is gone the offense completely tanks. They have to be deeper than one guy. Still in a WC as it stands, but we have to win series like the one against the Angels if we want to make it. I think it'll come right down to the wire. There are several teams only a couple games back.

Ruminator

Reaction score
The race is so close that we could be looking at a photo finish for the WC finalists come October 5. Every game counts!

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Yes, of course. Good teams lose to bad teams all the time in every sport. It's one of the reasons many of us find sports so compelling. You never know what's going to happen.
My post was mostly commenting on the lack of offense lately. Again, before yesterday they had played 16 games since the all star break. They scored 2 or less runs in 8 of those games. If you're a fringe wildcard team, like the M's, that probably isn't going to cut it.

Exactly. This is pretty much what I was saying.

Winker was a career .288 hitter over 5 seasons in Cincinnati before coming to Seattle. Don't think the "he only did it for 1 season" applies to him.

Same with Frazier. Career .281 hitter in 6 seasons before coming to Seattle.

No idea why these guys have done so much worse this season than any reasonable person could have expected. They were both good pick ups by the M's (and so was Suarez). It's just unfortunate they've underperformed compared to their career averages (and not just in BA, in a lot of categories).

Well I think we agree on most everything. I will say that Winker went from a top 5 hitters park to a top 5 pitchers park. But he is definitely slumping and don’t see us keeping him around.

Frazier is no more than a hit for average guy. I am fine with him, but he offers very little upside. He has probably been one of our best hitters the last couple months.

The needs this off-season will be obvious, just need to spend the money to bring in the right guys.

Last edited:

Crizilla

Reaction score
Reality right now is Haggerty has the highest OBP on the team.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Reality right now is Haggerty has the highest OBP on the team.
He needs to find his way into the lineup at least 4 or 5 times a week. When healthy, it should be Haggerty, Julio, and Haniger, with some JK and Moore.

This team really needs to rethink Winker’s role. He is a huge liability in the field. I would be fine if he platooned at DH.