Back to Reality

Chapow

Reaction score
I wasn’t talking so much about the beginning of the year as I was lately. No reason to not to actually call up an outfielder (see Kelenic) if you didn’t want to trade for one. There never should be a situation where you have 3 infielders playing the outfield at the same time.

Plus can we really call K-Lew an outfielder anymore? Love the kid but his knees are bone on bone. The guy cannot run anymore. He’s going to be a career DH.

Did they have 3 infielders playing the outfield though?

Dylan Moore is a utility guy. He's there to play where he's needed. In 4 years he's played in the OF 171 times, and in the IF 193 times. Yes, that's slightly more in the IF, but that's still a lot of time in the OF over the past 4 years.

Are we sure Sam Haggerty is an infielder? Because it sure doesn't seem like it. In 70 games at the major league level he's played in the OF 62 times, and in the IF 8 times.

Adam Frasier is no doubt a second baseman first and foremost, but even he has played in the OF 190 times over his 7 year career.

Plus, it's not like this is supposed to be a long term solution or something. They're only expecting Winker to miss a game or 2, and Julio has only missed 4 games and is expected back today.

I guess I just don't really get the criticism here. Moore, Haggerty, and Frazier all have plenty of experience in the OF, and they all play OF at a perfectly adequate level. It's not like they're throwing Cal Raleigh and Eugenio Suarez out there.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Did they have 3 infielders playing the outfield though?

Dylan Moore is a utility guy. He's there to play where he's needed. In 4 years he's played in the OF 171 times, and in the IF 193 times. Yes, that's slightly more in the IF, but that's still a lot of time in the OF over the past 4 years.

Are we sure Sam Haggerty is an infielder? Because it sure doesn't seem like it. In 70 games at the major league level he's played in the OF 62 times, and in the IF 8 times.

Adam Frasier is no doubt a second baseman first and foremost, but even he has played in the OF 190 times over his 7 year career.

Plus, it's not like this is supposed to be a long term solution or something. They're only expecting Winker to miss a game or 2, and Julio has only missed 4 games and is expected back today.

I guess I just don't really get the criticism here. Moore, Haggerty, and Frazier all have plenty of experience in the OF, and they all play OF at a perfectly adequate level. It's not like they're throwing Cal Raleigh and Eugenio Suarez out there.
I guess we are going to have to agree to disagree.
If you are cool with the situation, so be it.

Chapow

Reaction score
I guess we are going to have to agree to disagree.
If you are cool with the situation, so be it.

Fair enough. I mean, I don't really understand what about my post you're disagreeing with here, but OK. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

sutz

Reaction score
Well, one could argue that we need more above average quality starters around the team and are depending too much on utility guys filling in. Thing is, when you need those utility guys it's really nice to have them around. :)

One or two of those guys are probably on the trading block this month, if they can get their hands on the additions they need for the stretch run. I don't see Soto coming here, too expensive. But there have to be quality players out there we can add to help out.

It's been discussed a lot here and elsewhere that we need another SP, and 1 or 2 hitters than can hit for average and have some pop, either OF or IF. These utility guys getting playing time actually improve their trade value. We'll still take some hits in the farm system, but that's how it goes. At least the current regime has been protecting farm assets far better than previous FOs. I trust them to not completely empty the cupboard aiming for some aging vet on his last legs. We have enough of them, we need some guys in the prime of their careers, or on the upswing.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
16-3 in the last 19 games. But yeah they are the "same old mariners"
Oh brother............
And before the Astro's swept Seattle, they also just swept the Yankees. I guess the Yanks should just pack it in.
Again, 16-3 in the last 19. This is a damn good team that's trying to become great.

sutz

Reaction score
16-3 in the last 19 games. But yeah they are the "same old mariners"
Oh brother............
And before the Astro's swept Seattle, they also just swept the Yankees. I guess the Yanks should just pack it in.
Again, 16-3 in the last 19. This is a damn good team that's trying to become great.
Yabbut, we kinda did need to take two from the Texans to solidify that. :)

It's all about timing. Our momentum got interrupted by the break, the 'Stros wasn't. 🤷‍♂️

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Great point. In fact, they are 16-0 in the last 16 games Julio Started. Not a coincidence

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

Welshers

Lose three to Houston and here comes normal Welshers..
Why the hell do some of you even watch this team.. go back to pickleball or something
Yep. This is a good baseball team, not even CLOSE to Same old Mariners. That's a weak argument after a bad series. The Cheatstro's are a GREAT team.
My point is that one damn series doesn't just mean this team isn't a playoff contender. They flat out are a contender to make the playoffs this year.
You guys are acting like I said they suck again or something LOL. I never said they weren't a playoff contender, in fact I said "let's see how they finish". All I said is this is back to reality. They played a top tier team and got swept. It doesn't mean the season is over and it doesn't mean they suck, but I'm suggesting everyone keep their expectations in check. The 14 game win streak was incredibly euphoric but the sweep vs Houston really showed our weaknesses and lack of depth without Julio.

If we can only beat bad teams, we will make a wild card because we have a pretty easy closing schedule. But we will need to considerably improve or have to hope Julio stays healtht and hot to have a chance vs a team like the Asteriks. I'm not going to stop watching (just as I haven't for over 20 years), I'm just suggesting reality. Balakoth acting like I said the team is finished or something....

Ok I did say that.... many times.... before the win streak...

I think they have a shot at playing extra baseball now and have tried to repent to Scotty and the baseball gods. 20 years of this gets to you eventually

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
You guys are acting like I said they suck again or something LOL. I never said they weren't a playoff contender, in fact I said "let's see how they finish". All I said is this is back to reality. They played a top tier team and got swept. It doesn't mean the season is over and it doesn't mean they suck, but I'm suggesting everyone keep their expectations in check. The 14 game win streak was incredibly euphoric but the sweep vs Houston really showed our weaknesses and lack of depth without Julio.

If we can only beat bad teams, we will make a wild card because we have a pretty easy closing schedule. But we will need to considerably improve or have to hope Julio stays healtht and hot to have a chance vs a team like the Asteriks. I'm not going to stop watching (just as I haven't for over 20 years), I'm just suggesting reality. Balakoth acting like I said the team is finished or something....

Ok I did say that.... many times.... before the win streak...

I think they have a shot at playing extra baseball now and have tried to repent to Scotty and the baseball gods. 20 years of this gets to you eventually
You got the reverse jinx thing working. Keep trashing them and they’ll keep winning except when Julio isn’t playing. ;)

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
And what do you say when the M's swept the Astro's? Should the Astro's have packed it in, Welshers?
And you clearly haven't been watching if you think they only beat "bad teams"

OP
OP
W

Welshers

And what do you say when the M's swept the Astro's? Should the Astro's have packed it in, Welshers?
And you clearly haven't been watching if you think they only beat "bad teams"
Wrong. Ive been happy as they've beat good teams. You're literally making things up. Sad!

1. I never said the Ms should pack it in, in fact I said much the opposite. I clearly stated in my OP that they have a chance at the playoffs.

2. I never said they only beat bad teams. I said if they can only beat bad teams (i.e down the stretch) then they won't go farther than the WC.

I understand it upsets you when posters aren't all sunshine and roses. I understand you want to hear nothing but positives and dislike reality. That's ok and I understand. I apologize for being a realist and having a different opinion.

I promise, regardless of what happens on the diamond, everything will be OK.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
If you can't handle being messed with, don't know what to tell you. And you clearly can't handle being called out. They lose 3 games to a phenomenal team and you act like they suck.
I couldn't care less if people are negative or not. People all look it their own way. Way more important things to worry about.
Have a good weekend. Go M's. 24/7 365

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

Welshers

If you can't handle being messed with, don't know what to tell you. And you clearly can't handle being called out. They lose 3 games to a phenomenal team and you act like they suck.
I couldn't care less if people are negative or not. People all look it their own way. Way more important things to worry about.
Have a good weekend. Go M's. 24/7 365
Wrong again! Never did I say they suck! Sad!

My words were that they have a chance for a wild card if they fight hard. Which is what I believe. Go back and read my posts. Nowhere did I say the M's suck! I haven't said the team should be moved out of Seattle in a solid three weeks.

I think this is a growing team who is good enough for a wild card in the new expanded playoff format. Which is why I made my original response! Vicious internet trolls accusing me of implying the team sucks!

Alas, I must give you the credit for being the better fan. You make sure to always find the positives and are happy with over 20 years of failure. That's admirable and I appreciate your good attitude.

I understand how badly it upsets you to read me say the Ms might not win the world series this year. I apologize and I truly hope you are OK. I understand that you think anything other than unbridled praise means the team sucks. Soulfishawk I truly understand that. I understand YOU. It will be ok.

I will also add that unless we get Jimmy G the Seahawks will not be winning the super bowl. But there is a good chance he comes to Seattle (per my sources)

Have a great weekend and don't let any mariners takes bring you down any further! It's just a game!

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Fair enough, I'm too tired to argue :LOL:
And for the record, you are on crack if you think I'm happy with 21 years of no playoffs. You know NOTHING about me. I'm f'ing sick of it like anyone else who cares about the team. Geezus, talk about assuming something you know nothing about. And please, show me where I EVER said they are making the World Series. No way in hell they do. I'm just hoping they finally make the damn playoffs. I don't give a rip if someone is negative, people can fan how they want. I've been bitching and moaning about this team for decades. The fact that you actually think it bothers me is hilarious. I enjoy it, and I laugh at it. Negative thoughts about a team that has been to the playoffs 4 times in their entire existence? Very justified.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
That all being said, they lost 3-2 in extra's, with NO JULIO OR FRANCE. Come on, that's w/out a doubt their best two hitters. Against a VERY good team.