At what point do you call someone a bandwaggoner?

-The Glove-

Reaction score
It only pisses me off when those that talked bad about the Seahawks all of a sudden become the biggest fans. Its one thing to be indifferent; it's another to go out of your way to insult the team and its fans

ZagHawk

Reaction score
When you bought and wore your gear for the first (and only time) during playoffs.

When you can only name the BIG names on the team and half the time get their positions wrong.

When you never watch football, and suddenly when the Super Bowl comes up, you a pick team that has any kind of relation to you (like you visited the places once in your life, or has a family member who lives near there) and suddenly you act as if you're part of that team. i.e. "FRIEND" of mine suddenly saying 'Oh my God I hate the Seahawks" right before NFCCG, who grew up in NYC, and has had no connection with football up until that point and just jumped on the CK is hot therefore I'm a Niner fan bandwagon.

I know a lot of people have different definitions of bandwagon fans, hell I may even fall into some of those definitions. i.e. I really only started watching Seahawk football in 2005 the year they made it to the Super Bowl, but my reason is just. I grew up in Guam, we have no football team there, and I grew up playing basketball. I made my way out here for college and moved to Seattle in 2005 and just got into football then and adopted the team at that point. But I'm certain to a lot of fans I would be a bandwagonner because I wasn't around for the Largent and Zorn days. Hell, I was 6 when Largent ended his Seahawk career and my father being an immigrant from HKG wasn't exactly a Seahawk or Football fan to surround me with any of it.

But yeah the first three lines are my definition of Bandwagon fans as I'm definitely a newer fan and more partial to them.

Brahn

Reaction score
Calling another fan of your team a bandwagon fan is just the social way of trying to claim "first", we call these people Hipsters.

I would rather have 100 bandwagon fans over 1 Hipster

ZagHawk

Reaction score
I do enjoy having more fans who like your team. It makes it much easier to defend liking them.

My only real issue with bandwagon fans is the demand vs supply. Suddenly all the "cool" gear is now that much harder to find and 10x more expensive on eBay. Going to a Seahawks signing last season required lining up 2 hours early and you were in. Kam Chancellor's signing last week had people lining up since 9 AM. CSLs that I'm saving up for were at one point $2k-$5k/seat, now they're closer to 8-25k/seat. Looks like I'll never be able to get those. Heck I was going to add a seat to my season tickets for my daughter when she gets older, my ticket manager even told me to wait last season, and now this season he tells me I gotta join blue pride to add a seat for her, which has a 10 year waiting list. So sorry daughter, you don't get to go with Daddy to games until you're 12, Mom isn't going, or I buy three tickets off the secondary market for stupid prices and sell my current pair. Yeah that's my only issue is the crazy demand.

BAJAHAWK

Reaction score
I been a fan since 76/77 season and I believe the BIG the 12 man grows the energy from that will create amazing things!!! I predict that by the start of next season the Seahawks will have one of the top 3 if not the top fan bases in the World!!! 111,000,000 people watched the Hawks destroy the Donkeys and everyone loves a winner!

Hawks46

Reaction score
Who cares ?

As much hand wringing and moaning that's gone on about how the media ignores and disrespects us, the only way to change that is winning. Once a team wins, it gains a ton of bandwagon fans. As long as the team is competitive, they'll stay. Then you'll start to get the small preferential treatment that the Packers, Stealers, and 49ers get.

How many fans do you think the Patriots had before that first Superbowl, and how many do they have now ? I would bet the number has doubled.

I'm proud to have been a Hawks fan since team inception, but I don't hold it against anyone else for lack of longevity. Personally, I like individual players and my Seahawks. For example, I liked the Lions because I liked Barry Sanders and Chris Spielman.

chris98251

Reaction score
When you have low post count on forums.

When your team wins a Super Bowl and people want to be part of something thats a winner and you critisize that.

As stated your insecure in yourself and the length of time you have been a fan and to elevate yourself you point fingers at others.

All these things which is why we don't allow people to call others real, true, fans. Its subjective and assumptive.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Sooooooo....Who is this Ronald Wilson and the other one...skittles Tourbin? Maybe Marcus Irvin? And maybe their coach Touchdown Jonny Carroll??? JUst trying to get this correct. After all I jumped on the bandwagon in 1976...been kicked off the wagon about 300 times and I still jump back on. Some day I shall get some seatbelts and strap in for the ride. :sarcasm_off:

:thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers:

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
I dont know what you would call me, but im not "bandwagoner."

I am 27 and have lived near Portland my entire life and have watched every hawks game since I can remember.

During 99 or 2000 I was heavily into madden and I watched several games of the Vikings with Culpepper, Moss, Carter, and Robert Smith. Moss easily became my favorite player to watch because lets face it he is a once in a lifetime talent. I still think he was WAY more talented than Rice but didnt put forth the effort to become the best.

I played as the Seahawks AND the Vikings in Madden and watched every game of both teams since 2000. I have been up to 5 games at CLINK, 2 against the Vikings. I have been heavily involved in message boards and follow both teams very close. I have a bunch of jerseys and other items from both teams as well.

As you know both teams have had periods where they have completely sucked and other periods where they were in the superbowl of NFC Championship game.

I love both teams equally now and I guess I just have 2 favorite teams.

I was thrilled with the Harvin trade on both ends. It was obvious Harvin was going to leave the Vikings eventually and they just needed to move on and the Seahawks needed that gamechanger to finally win the big one which they did even though Harvin didnt help all that much. For next year Harvin should help a ton and the Xavier Rhodes looks to be a pretty good CB which the Vikings need a ton.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
The definition of a band wagoner is most Chicago Blackhawk fans. I've lived in the Chicagoland area now for almost 15 years. Until they won their first title a couple years ago, if I didn't know the Blackhawks existed I would have never known that they existed, if you know what I mean. At least when the Bears, Cubs, Sox, or Bulls suck, there would be evidence of their existence.

As far as the Hawks go, I'm actually a reverse band wagoner. In 1984, I was 7 years old and a Dolphin fan. When the Dolphins lost the Super Bowl, I was pissed off and I decided I was going to like the team they beat in the AFC Championship game because I really liked their helmets. I'd probably be a Dolphin fan today if they had won the Super Bowl in 1984.

SeahawksRawk

Reaction score
Largent's stat line is-----------Greatest WR in History!

I have been a fan since I was 9 (80). I grew up watching football but never had "My" favorite until the 80 Season.
That was the year my dad started teaching me about the in's&out's of the game. Since the Seahawks where always on the TV (Eastern Oregon) alot of my time learning was during Seahawks games.

Some one is a bandwagon fan if they do not remotely have any "common knowledge" about that team.
Example: A co-worker of mine claims to be a HUGE Alabama fan. Then asks me if I am gonna watch the Iron Bowl? "You know the game between Alabama and Albany" :34853_doh: That is a bandwagon fan!

Chapman

Reaction score
Am I a bandwagoner?
I only went to one game this year.
THE SUPERBOWL!

OP
OP
T

theascension

Reaction score
Well this generated some interest. Lots of varied responses. I think the term is kind of limiting and silly actually but there is some credence to the annoyance someone who switches to your team as soon as they're a playoff contender. I mean I'll root for a team but I won't buy their jersey....

At the same time if it was just hardcore fans at the Seahawks parade there would have been like 30,000 people there.

Something that I noticed after the super bowl win was there seems to be a difference between casual football fans and football fans who understand the game. So many complained it was boring. Casual fans seem to focus and understand only where the ball is and offense.
Casual fans seem to be a fan of offense which is why 60% of the nation was cheering for the Bronocs.

NinjaHawk38

Reaction score
The moment they hop off. I don't think someone needs to prove their fandom or drop knowledge but that moment that mother father hops OFF. GTFOH That's my only pet peeve fans are either born into a team, born from their location or born from Wins and success. So stay on Mother Fathers let's get another Ship !!! Go HAWKS !!!

YYZHawksFan

Reaction score
I know a guy that is always (I) cheering for the winning team or (II) cheering against the team I cheer for. It gets boring.

I have seen the canucks loose, in person, 5 Stanley cup games, 2 in 82, 1 in 94 and 2 in 11....in Boston...it sucks. But I will always cheer for the buggers. That is why I understood the pain of the broncos fans. It sucks to loose but I have been there...that is why in NYC, the win was so great. I really only knew the hawks as a team....I can not lie that I did jump on the Montana bus....(gomenasai)

keatonisballin

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":3pcdq1bt said:
You would call someone a bandwaggoner if you are personally insecure about your own fandom.

This is the best sentence ive ever read. I completely agree 100%. I personally love all these new fans. Yeah they dont know everything but they have to start somewhere. Im not a giant fan of people who are just "fans" because we won the SB but hey, it doesnt effect me at all. Do what you want. Im a true fan and that will never change! 8)

LargentFan

Reaction score
People who worry about fans being bandwagonners are just hipsters in disguise. Some bandwagon fans can be annoying, but some can be awesome.

Example 1(annoying): I have a co-worker who talks no end of shit about the Seahawks all year long, every year. He claims to be a Saints and Titans fan. Seattle makes it to the Super Bowl and he buys a Lynch jersey because he can't get over how much Marshawn reminds him of Franco Harris. This guy sends me a text at halftime of the Super Bowl saying, "Go Broncos!" F this guy...I almost want Seattle to tank next season so he will get off the bandwagon...

Example 2(awesome): Two close friends of mine, married, could not have cared less about the Seahawks before Russell Wilson came onto the scene. Once Wilson started getting some publicity, the wife's interest started to rise. She started watching every game and her husband watched with her. Over the course of last season, their fandom grew. This year, they went to their first live game with me and now the husband is hooked. Now, he has a Seahawks tattoo! I've been a Seahawks fan my whole life and I don't have a tattoo...

Anyway...remember how the hipster got burned...he drank his coffee before it was cool...

BlueTalon

Reaction score
NinjaHawk38":1zjkr3aw said:
The moment they hop off. I don't think someone needs to prove their fandom or drop knowledge but that moment that mother father hops OFF.
This. The negative connotation of "bandwagon" fandom is determined more by how & when it ends than how & when it begins.

New fans are welcome. Gotta start sometime, right?