Arizona makes me nervous. Not the team. The place.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
ETIII and Kam also went down there and I think Avril did too. All of them, last game as a Seahawk in that stadium. Plus we had really weird games like the best-worst game ever, the 6-6 tie. I was at all of those games visiting my dad. I hate the whole Phoenix metroplex area with a passion so it was already a cursed place before any of those games. The only really good game I remember there was with most of the SB team still intact, a TNF game I believe. Probably 10-1 Seahawk fans to Cardinals fans in the nearby bars and we roasted them alive. Might've been the game that Fitz could've laid out Sherman hard but didn't because Fitz is classy af. Anything can happen there and I think id rather lose without any major injury than win with a big name going down.
Avril's injury happened during the Colts game Oct 1st @ home that same year as I stated in an earlier post. I was at both games.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
It all started when we wanted to park near the stadium and find a bar to have a bite and some beers. Forget about that plan. The stadium is in the middle of nowhere. They didn't open the doors until 30 minutes or so before k/o so we baked our brains in the parking lot waiting for that to happen.

There was a pocket of restaurants and bars but not within walking distance to the stadium... so if we wanted to go there, you have to park twice, and probably pay twice.

Once in the stadium, we were treated rudely, especially my wife who has limited mobility. The stadium announcer was obnoxious. The acoustics sucked. The game was a defensive battle. Both teams missed chip shot FGs that would have won the game and put us out of our misery. Walking out with a tie was like kissing your ugly sister.
Just wanted to clarify that there are a number of places within walking distance of the stadium for people without mobility issues. I only say this so people without those issues aren't dissuaded from going to games because nothing cracks me up more than seeing more visitor fans at their home games.

The parking is pretty rough but my dad has a season ticket pass which has made it easier the last few games I went to out there. I was also at the 6-6 tie, though I found it quite exciting for all its crapulence. If I recall correctly there was an ETIII karate chop save at about the 8" line, several Bobby Wagner FG hurdles, a classic Wilson to Baldwin scramble drill. Neither team deserved to win though and a tie was quite fitting.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
Avril's injury happened during the Colts game Oct 1st that same year as I stated in an earlier post. I was at both games.
Thanks for the correction. I was 60-40 on whether Kam and Cliff were the same game or not. Now I know I only saw the LOB end their Seattle careers there. Still super cursed. What if you went to the game in a Murray jersey?

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
It's an awful field. Kickers rate it among the worst surface, always lots of non-contact injuries, and it was an ice rink for the Auburn/Oregon NCCG.
Between the AZ field and Washington Commanders not sure which is worse for footing

RiverDog

Reaction score
And, the line is on crack. The betting line. Not the O or D line ;)

There was one other winning record team that's a pointless underdog - think it was the cowboys this week but i just tried to google and couldn't find it again.

Someone's sleeping at the switch in Vegas!
It's the bettors that are on crack. Vegas is extremely impartial. All they care about is making money, and they do that by taking a percentage of all bets. They couldn't give a rip who wins or loses. All they care about is equalizing the payout for the two possible outcomes.

LeveeBreak

Reaction score
It's the bettors that are on crack. Vegas is extremely impartial. All they care about is making money, and they do that by taking a percentage of all bets. They couldn't give a rip who wins or loses. All they care about is equalizing the payout for the two possible outcomes.
Exactly...cuz they get a cut of all of it. Just need to balance the potential wins vs. losses.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
It’ll move to 1 or pick ‘em by Friday

OP
OP
CalgaryFan05

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Anything can happen there and I think id rather lose without any major injury than win with a big name going down.
I cringe-ingly agree with you.

I don't want either, and that's why I'm nervous!

Mick063

Reaction score
There are certain states that I would never step foot in or spend a dime there. Arizona is one of them. I definitely wouldn't feel safe there.

I'll stick to television when it comes to sports in Arizona.

RiverDog

Reaction score
There are certain states that I would never step foot in or spend a dime there. Arizona is one of them. I definitely wouldn't feel safe there.

I'll stick to television when it comes to sports in Arizona.
I'm not sure what it is about Arizona that makes it anymore unsafe than any other state. I've gone to 4 Hawks games and a Fiesta Bowl there, and we had a blast on each trip. It's a lot like Las Vegas, as on NFL Sundays, you see a large variety of team jerseys. As a friend of mine that lives there says, everyone is from somewhere else, and the bring with them their original allegiances. Not a lot of die hard Cards fans, meaning that game tickets are usually cheap even when the team is playing well. There's a lot of retirees and snow birds down there, so the average age of the typical fan is older than most places. The stadium is half Hawks fans, and the bars are even more heavily skewed towards the visiting team.

It's an excellent venue as there's a large mall/retail area with lots of bars/restaurants right in front of the stadium. The Phoenix Coyotes NHL team has their arena within the same complex. Since it's not in a downtown area, so hotel rooms are cheap. It's a perfect late fall/early winter escape for those fans living in the northern tier states.

OP
OP
CalgaryFan05

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
I'm not sure what it is about Arizona that makes it anymore unsafe than any other state. I've gone to 4 Hawks games and a Fiesta Bowl there, and we had a blast on each trip. It's a lot like Las Vegas, as on NFL Sundays, you see a large variety of team jerseys. As a friend of mine that lives there says, everyone is from somewhere else, and the bring with them their original allegiances. Not a lot of die hard Cards fans, meaning that game tickets are usually cheap even when the team is playing well. There's a lot of retirees and snow birds down there, so the average age of the typical fan is older than most places. The stadium is half Hawks fans, and the bars are even more heavily skewed towards the visiting team.

It's an excellent venue as there's a large mall/retail area with lots of bars/restaurants right in front of the stadium. The Phoenix Coyotes NHL team has their arena within the same complex. Since it's not in a downtown area, so hotel rooms are cheap. It's a perfect late fall/early winter escape for those fans living in the northern tier states.
My title should have substituted "Stadium" for "Place"

We've been through Arizona on our way back and forth to vegas a few times. I never had any problems with it. In fact, as a 'place' - I always thought it would be a nice cheap alternative to the carribbean (well, me and about 1,000,000 other canadian snowbirds). Although we've only crossed the NW corner by St. George. It's beautiful there. Never been to Phoenix/Glendale tho.

Now, the stadium? MF the stadium ;)

Mick063

Reaction score

I dunno. Maybe it is just me, but armed, masked people taking pictures of license plates at ballot drop boxes? And a sizeable chunk of the state's population think that this is a good idea?

Nope. Not going to spend my money in a place like that. It really isn't a political issue for me. It is a safety issue. Won't step foot in a state like that. I don't trust people that feel compelled to express their belief with a display of lethal intimidation.

You will notice that I didn't comment like this the first time around. Only when pressed for more clarification did I elaborate more. This is because I genuinely do not want to be perceived as imposing my world view upon you. But.....you responded to me directly and wanted to know why.

But that is just me. Have at it. Go co-mingle with them. Enjoy yourself. Hope you have a good time.

Last edited:

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score

The Coyotes don’t even play there anymore. They play in ASU’s 5000 seat arena now because of negotiations with the team and stadium and city.

RiverDog

Reaction score
I dunno. Maybe it is just me, but armed, masked people taking pictures of license plates at ballot drop boxes? And a sizeable chunk of the state's population think that this is a good idea?

Nope. Not going to spend my money in a place like that. It really isn't a political issue for me. It is a safety issue. Won't step foot in a state like that. I don't trust people that feel compelled to express their belief with a display of lethal intimidation.

You will notice that I didn't comment like this the first time around. Only when pressed for more clarification did I elaborate more. This is because I genuinely do not want to be perceived as imposing my world view upon you. But.....you responded to me directly and wanted to know why.

But that is just me. Have at it. Go co-mingle with them. Enjoy yourself. Hope you have a good time.
Each state/city has their drawbacks. I don't feel safe in the streets of downtown Seattle. Cops quitting in droves, businesses moving out due to crime, homeless and drug addicts everywhere.

I went to the Lions-Hawks game last month. I had heard a lot of horror stories about Detroit, how it was a rotting, decaying city, that fans were tough on visitors, etc. We not only went to the Hawks-Lions, but also attended a Tigers game right next door to Ford Field the night before, then hit a couple of bars afterwards in the downtown area. Never a problem. Those folks couldn't have been more friendly and welcoming. We had a blast!

My point is that sometimes our perceptions are not reflective of reality. As long as you act decent, behave as you would if you were a guest in a neighbor's home, you'll get along just fine.

Mick063

Reaction score
Each state/city has their drawbacks. I don't feel safe in the streets of downtown Seattle. Cops quitting in droves, businesses moving out due to crime, homeless and drug addicts everywhere.

I went to the Lions-Hawks game last month. I had heard a lot of horror stories about Detroit, how it was a rotting, decaying city, that fans were tough on visitors, etc. We not only went to the Hawks-Lions, but also attended a Tigers game right next door to Ford Field the night before, then hit a couple of bars afterwards in the downtown area. Never a problem. Those folks couldn't have been more friendly and welcoming. We had a blast!

My point is that sometimes our perceptions are not reflective of reality. As long as you act decent, behave as you would if you were a guest in a neighbor's home, you'll get along just fine.
You know a heck of lot about Seattle for living 250 miles away. You visit often I take it? A few times a week? Or maybe you are right about at least one thing. Maybe, sometimes, "our perceptions are not reflective of reality".
You have fun with the armed folks in Arizona. Think of them like you are just visiting a neighbor......who just happens to be wearing a bullet proof vest and toting a few extra clips just to make sure.

Last edited:

LeveeBreak

Reaction score
You know a heck of lot about Seattle for living 250 miles away. You visit often I take it? A few times a week? Or maybe you are right about at least one thing. Maybe, sometimes, "our perceptions are not reflective of reality".
You have fun with the armed folks in Arizona. Think of them like you are just visiting a neighbor......who just happens to be wearing a bullet proof vest and toting a few extra clips just to make sure.
:rolleyes: