Tanking?

• Yes

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • No

Votes: 99 94.3%

• Total voters

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Honestly, i'm excited about this year. It felt like last season (and probably for several before) we were stuck in mediocrity. Play off bubble team with one play off win in umpteen years. Literally the worst place to be in the NFL. It feels like we are moving in a direction now. Whether that direction is back to contending in a couple of years or stinking the place up is TBD but at least if we stink we will eventually get talent in.

Hopefully there is new ideas and philosophies coming in.

For the first time in several years we may also be spenders in the first wave of free agency given the holes we have and cap space freed up. Which in itself is exciting.

Donn2390

Reaction score
I think this is a rebuild/evaluation year but the front office won't ever say that incase they exceed expectations like the Rams and Houston have done. Geno is a good stop gap QB. Difference between rebuilding and tanking though. We're mostly reallocating resources to higher priority positions and descoping the safety position along with allowing future cap space to be freed up for when we are good.
Why do I always hear people talking about tanking? Any front office staff, coaching staff, players, and for sure fans, should never allow that word to escape their lips and should never be allowed anywhere near any sport, from pop warner/little league, through the pros. I don't consider anyone who would consider tanking as being a fan.
Anyone who would wish to "Tank" is not a person you want around your organization unless you want cancer around, you need people who have pride and professionalism and are prepared to give their very best effort to their last breath at every moment and strive to make everyday better than yesterday.
Imagine a soldier on the battlefield with that mentality? If you wish for your team to lose to gain an advantage, then you are loser. Save that word for losers

chris98251

Reaction score
Irsay undermined things to cause the Colts to lose so he could get Luck, players went hard and Coaches, but to win a race you can't go up against Formula 1's with a Yugo.

bileever

Reaction score
The concept of tanking first became a thing in the NBA, where there might be a sure-fire superstar at the top of the draft. The NBA tried to take care of that by instituting a draft lottery system. In the NFL, one would be a fool to bank on one player changing your fortunes. Bryce Young was the first pick in last year's draft and Pat Mahomes was the tenth pick the year he was drafted.

However, it does make sense at times to use an off-year to jettison your expensive contracts, allow younger players to gain experience, and clear cap space for a future season when your team might become more competitive.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Teams don't decide to "tank" before the season even begins. Maybe they do once the season gets into the back half. Some of these moves are rip the band-aid off decisions that had to be done. They might lead to an underwhelming year and a good draft pick but that's not necessarily the aim. Certainly not in MM's first season with the club.
Why would we tank? There isn’t a QB right now who looks like a qb worth ranking for next year.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Tanking? Absolutely not. Revamping and reloading? Yup.
As a Bears fan, what Poles did in 2022 was the tank of the century. So far, the Seahawks have only done normal retooling to build a fairly modest amount of cap space.

flv2

Reaction score
Ah, the benefits of poll anonymity, (and multiple accounts). Just kidding. I haven't voted and if I had I would have voted no. The software permits members to see the state of the poll before voting, it allows members to change their votes, it allows the members to see who voted for which outcome, and it allows for a closing date/time. The 1st 2 options are switched on by default. The default for the 3rd and 4th options is off. Perhaps this should be changed (???). Either way any member creating a poll can change options from the default settings.

OP
OP
J

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
I made the poll. I didn't vote and I do not think we are tanking. It seemed that a lot of people were saying we were tanking when we did the recent releases so I wanted to see what people thought. I am not going to change it so those that believe we are tanking are mocked.

keasley45

Reaction score
We don’t cut Geno - “we aren’t tanking“
We cut Adams, Digg etc - “we are tanking”

so which is it?

IF we ARE tanking signing Geno was dumb from a cap view and, if he played all year, from a QBOTF game development view.
if we are NOT tanking we are cutting a lot of experience. (I agree with the cuts)

and If there is TRULY a QB competition for starting then signing Geno was also dumb as he’d be a stupidly overpaid backup if he lost.

Cutting Adams, Diggs and Dissly is nothing more than smart accounting. They weren't cornerstone players. At Safety, we have Bryant, Reed and Love ready to roll, with a coach who turned an unknown player at that position into a superstar in one season when he was in Baltimore. Dissly was the most inefficient member of what should have been a potent TE group if it was just Fant and Parkinson (and last year it was mostly Fant and Parkinson). With Bobo adding another savvy, big bodied option at wr, he can easily bump inside and run some of what TEs typically do.

This team is nowhere near tanking. Better coaching last year would have had us at least one or two wins better than we were. There's no reason to think the same can't be true this year if we can fill the holes we have on the DL, LB and O line.

Everything I hear from John points to that being his feeling as well.

Short of us selling the farm to move into the top 5 of the draft to pick a qbotf, I expect John and Mike to be looking to turn this team into a bully in 2024.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
Why would we tank? There isn’t a QB right now who looks like a qb worth ranking for next year.
Exactly. Yet another good point against this idea of the Seahawks intentionally tanking in the off season.

Scout

Reaction score
Seahawks have a fantastic young core of players and healthy cap situation while holding plenty of draft picks still. No tank in sight.

warden

Reaction score
Teams who have a winning culture or are trying to build a winning culture do not tank a season. It is that plain and simple

Have we hit the reset button? Yes but that is a different situation. We we do absolutely everything possible to compete next year? Of course we will

FlyingGunHawk

Reaction score
When was the last time the Seahawks tanked? Honest question. It felt like it's been forever. I legitimately can't think of a year.

OLYhawks

Reaction score
If "tanking" is indeed a plan, I will fastly disavow my liking for Mike Mac and the Seahawks organization. That kind of mentality is unwarranted, and frankly, disgusting.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
I don't believe any team really tanks. It's too violent a sport. You don't play to win for your guys, you'll lose the locker room immediately. And this is doubly true when the draft is such a crap shoot that gaining a few positions in draft order rarely reverses a teams fortunes.

There are teams that may play younger guys late in the season if they are out of the playoffs but they are still trying to win the games with the side view of getting better evaluations on players. I wouldn't call that tanking.

Cutting good players almost always has to do with the salary cap and nothing to do with depleting your roster so you can lose more games.

flv2

Reaction score
I made the poll. I didn't vote and I do not think we are tanking. It seemed that a lot of people were saying we were tanking when we did the recent releases so I wanted to see what people thought. I am not going to change it so those that believe we are tanking are mocked.
I'm not saying you should change the settings. I'm not sure it's even possible once a poll has been started. Most people don't change from default settings and those default settings might not be the best settings. Similar issue with DMs.