Are we in Win Now mode or not?!?

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Well, and I didn't say 'do free agency stupidly' - like the Adams trade. That was insanely stupid.

And I'll take Henry in a New York second. And twice on Sundays. Please and thank you.

And if Poona and Woods didn't fit - why the hell let them go, and now say "we'd sure like them back".

I do not get it.
In the beginning the ADAMS TRADE was a genius move, PC & JS could NOT have ENVISIONED or foreseen Adams injury tracking, so let's TRY to at least be somewhat honest with ourselves a little bit on this matter, eh?
YOU have 20-20 vision, & Information in LOOKING BACK on the particulars of this matter, PC & JS didn't have that luxury, SO, let's not talk/act like we're some kind of 'Smarter Than' guru's here.
That's why you "Don't Get It".
If my Aunt had balls She'd be my Uncle.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
forgot the sarc tag. to win or even get to the Owl with Geno you need a top 3 defense. Were light years away from that.
No we’re actually not bro. Pay attention to what’s happening this offseason

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
In the beginning the ADAMS TRADE was a genius move, PC & JS could NOT have ENVISIONED or foreseen Adams injury tracking, so let's TRY to at least be somewhat honest with ourselves a little bit on this matter, eh?
YOU have 20-20 vision, & Information in LOOKING BACK on the particulars of this matter, PC & JS didn't have that luxury, SO, let's not talk/act like we're some kind of 'Smarter Than' guru's here.
Two 1sts for a safety is a bad trade every time. I don't think peak ETIII or Kam were worth two 1sts, and Adams definitely was not.

Mick063

Reaction score
THIS^ Super game changers on EITHER side of the ball are easily worth that.
Kam, Earl = half the LOB? was every bit WORTH 2 first rounders back in their hay-days.
Whole heartedly agree with the LOB guys. The third one? Not so much. Two will have their jerseys in the rafters. The other will be forgotten in less than a generation.

WarHawks

Reaction score
Not yet. If we have a great draft and have a qb who can will this team to win no matter the circumstances, then sure.

irfuben32

Reaction score

When did Pete say "we are still trying to figure out how to use him" ?

if you don't know how someone you are trading for is going to fit into your scheme, then sending two firsts for him is asinine.

yah, he had a lot sacks but we also got burned a bunch by the holes left when we had to blitz him all the time because he useless in coverage

Adams contract is an albatross, we signed a decent QB to a reasonable contract but we can't fill out the roster because of that millstone

flv2

Reaction score
The Seahawks were 9-8 with a points differential of +6 in 2022. The defense was bottom 3. That's not the position to go all-in from. The Seahawks have a lot of 2023 Draft capital. They should use that to go best value BPA in 2023 and then see what holes they can fill with cash/cap/Draft in 2024. That's the time for the push. As of right now the Seahawks have plenty of scope to re-do contracts to push the cap hits back.

GemCity

Reaction score
Pete’s mentality can be “win now” as much as he desires.

We’re not on the 49ers level (yet).

I like that we field a competitive team, even with all of it’s holes, year after year.

After last years draft, it certainly gives the impression that we can still build for the future and compete.

Hoping to see more of that this year because that will get us to where we want to be.

You can never say never but, I’m guessing we are still 2-3 years out from a deep playoff run, let alone a Super Bowl.

As long as they keep drafting solidly…avoid overpaying almost washed vets (example..Greg Olsen), and don’t do anything crazy with future draft capital, we’ll get there!

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The Rams ‘win now’ mode ended quickly. As that modality is seriously flawed. Now they have a roster with all kinds of holes in it and next to no cap to fix them. The fire sale continues.

‘Always Compete’ is the Hawks mode and it allows the team to remain perpetually competitive. The choice between being steady and always competitive and the bi-polar Rams version of ‘win now’ is the philosophical choice to be made. One version creates lengthy down spells and very momentary periods of being highly competitive or even momentarily dominant. The other has a team that is consistently better than average and at times superior. Winning the Owl is a whole lot harder than some believe.

The team that stays close always has the ability with some good fortune and some positive roster additions to be very special and consistently so the other is Soar to the Heights then crash and burn.

For the Rams in their new stadium perhaps the choice was made for this direction to establish themselves in their old but now new community. They now will be far less relevant than before as the bills have come to be paid. Meanwhile the Hawks a re steadily building while staying competitive.

It is a philosophical choice but I prefer the Hawks version.

TwilightError

Reaction score
If win now means winning the Super Bowl, I think no. And I hope they think that way in the front office too. If it means winning enough to make a brief playoff appearance, then yeah I guess. But that’s a problem if being relevant is enough. The organization should not settle for ‘good enough’. That is being afraid of failing, not striving for greatness. And the latter is how I hope they approach the draft.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Maybe it's working - maybe PC and JS are just trying to hoodwink the world, myself included.

I thought we'd be in a "win now" mode aka: Rams year before last mode.

I haven't listened to the JS radio from this week, but I keep reading things like: "not kicking the can down the road on the cap. We're kinda tapped out. responsible year over year cap and cash management".

With the couple of Defensive pieces that we've added, with Geno locked up, and the fact that we've got quite the pair of kickass WR dudes when used properly - I just thought that WIN NOW would be where we were. I mean Jesus - if you didn't think Lock was the answer for a few years - why is he 4MM?

With the bargain that Geno is, and with the ability to restructure or cut guys like Adams and a few others - WHY the hell are we not getting Poona and Woods back, and then going after a running back like D Henry - or some finishing moves - EVEN IF it's on the credit card? Trade down in the draft, and get a ton of talent through - some of it's gonna stick.

I don't care if the can needs to be kicked or deferred for a couple 3 years, and then we went into a drought. Why not now when we have some of the pieces and the draft capital?!

Arg. I don't get it. But, then maybe I just don't get it. This is the first year I've even moderately payed attention to FA and the Draft.

And, oh yea, to answer my own thread topic - 'apparently not'.

I'm not sure what you're mad about.

Why aren't we signing more bargain bin free agents? Why aren't we trading for a RB who's now on the downside of his career and counts 16M against the cap AND probably wants a new deal? When we already have a bell cow back on the brink of being a superstar? AND is cheap?

"Win now" doesn't mean making bad trades and signings. I'm sure we will sign a couple more vets for the D-line, but you know, AFTER the draft when we know what players we still need to round out the roster.

OP
OP
CalgaryFan05

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
I'm not sure what you're mad about.

Why aren't we signing more bargain bin free agents? Why aren't we trading for a RB who's now on the downside of his career and counts 16M against the cap AND probably wants a new deal? When we already have a bell cow back on the brink of being a superstar? AND is cheap?

"Win now" doesn't mean making bad trades and signings. I'm sure we will sign a couple more vets for the D-line, but you know, AFTER the draft when we know what players we still need to round out the roster.
Not mad - just didn't understand what they were doing - and for a few weeks here - quite honestly it has seemed rudderless - aside from the private plane QB search.

I didn't say 'win now' with bad signings and trades. I believe I've already gone firmly on the "don't do stupid things like the Adams deal" -

So, not 100% sure what you're talking about.

What I DO know, is that the revolving salary cap hole with rookie contracts, whether they are QB or other positions, creates revolving windows every several years to 'get irresponsible' with the cap, future mortgage some acquisitions, and win hardware. AKA the RAMS.

Yea, and we're 1 busted ankle away from having ZERO running back capability. And Henry was the best back in the league last year. So, again, not sure what you're really talking about there other than the vague "on the downside of his career". I'll take his last 2 or 3 years vs. pretty much anyone in the league - Lynch in his prime included.

Having said ALL of this. The Sherman postcast allusion to going back to the old defense and ditching last years horrible experiment explains ALOT of what HASN'T happened to me.

And, I get it. Personnel acquision is a combination of Draft, FA, UDFA. I get that it's a balance, and you pick up pieces from each both at different times, and for different needs.

Didn't say 'win now badly'. I said are we in it now? I don't 'believe' that we are, from the last several weeks of activity - and honestly - the draft is so spotty with what sticks and what doesn't - you're not gonna exclusively build there - in particular running a 3-4 defense.

I believe there are 1 or 2 more big things coming after the draft - and I hope they trade down.

Latest posts