Are we bad against the run?

Laloosh

Reaction score
... or did we just play bad against the run?

I'm watching the game here (missed the first 3 quarters on Sunday) and I see a lot of line backers filling the wrong gaps and guys flat out not wrapping up. McDaniel literally hits the TB running back for -1 yards (thinks he's thrown the guy down) and then he just runs for another 10.

I would argue that someone has kidnapped our d-line and linebackers, replacing them with Jacksonville's squad.

ET III completely blew coverage on that TB TD pass to the near corner of the end zone (actually looked like he was going to help Sherm's side of the field rather than BB?). Guys hitting low w/ a shoulder and expecting the guy to fall over.

In all seriousness. I don't think we continue to see this on the defensive side of the ball.

I'm sure these conversations have been had so I apologize if it's a repetitive post (lot of gameday threads to sort through). Mods feel free to delete if this is the case.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I think I see of combination of bad tackling, blowing assignments and a lot of reaching for the ball. I genuinely think that they saw backup running backs and were expecting to get a ball on the ground.

They have played very well on the run in multiple games, so we know they can do it, but the lack of long drives early wears them down. The Hawks will be fine, they will not allow a bunch of games with massive run production.

The season is half over and they know that they have work to do. As the offense starts to run the ball better the defense will stop it better. The Bucs got shut down even after running like crazy in the first half of the game. Tampa got the one field goal and the party was over.

What is more likely? The Hawks played the run badly for 6 Quarters? Or that they are an overall bad run stopping team.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score

19th @ 116.2 yards a game
19th @ 4.2 yards an attempt

10th @ 103.1 yards a game
23rd @ 4.5 yards an attempt

I don't think we're bad, we're just average. It's the weakest part of the D in my opinion. (I'll add, the weakest part of a top 2 or 3 D in the NFL)

The Outfield

Reaction score
I wonder if the absence if Leroy Hill is affecting things.

I think PFF has Cliff Avril rated really poorly against the run.

hoxrox

Reaction score
I think fatigue is catching up to some of the players. Both Kam and Red has said as much. It's not only due the lopsided TOP and odd schedules. It's also because our team plays so physical. They've been playing at 120% on every snap, and play that way during practice as well. They even played that way in preseason. Every game to them is a "championship" game. That level of play is hard to maintain the entire season. They could use that bye week

In the meantime, the offense can do a lot more to control TOP, including running the ball more.

Mick063

Reaction score
Seahawks don't regularly stack the front with nine men to stop the run on 1st down. They will, however, stack the front when "down and distance" dictate a running play is probable. They are just as apt to stack against a single back or empty backfield to apply pressure on the quarterback.

They expect much from the defensive tackles and linebackers. Probably more than most teams.

Indeed, Carroll doesn't give help in a lot of areas. He expects each man to win his matchup. The Offensive Tackles don't get much help. The Linebackers don't get much help. The Corners don't get much help. It is just Carroll's style.

What does it all mean?

Seattle gives the appearance that they can't stop the run. The qualifier is that they line up with seven in the box on 1st and ten. This is a passing league. Carroll plays his defense that way. It also frees up Thomas to play "robber" on defense, or use his jets to cover deep, or fly into the television screen to tackle the wide running plays for loss. In other words, Thomas is the help.....for everyone. His range is very unique. Once in awhile, he misses. He missed a few times against Tampa Bay. He didn't miss in the second half, especially the fourth quarter. Carroll puts more on Thomas' plate, than anyone else on the defense. He does the same with Wilson on offense.

12evanf

Reaction score
Our pass coverage is awesome and our red zone D is awesome. Teams can sometimes run it down the field only to stall and have to go for the field goal. Bend don't break.

BamKam

Reaction score
Before the last 2 weeks we were rated really high, Zac Stacy has had 2 good weeks now and Pete said Tampa ran a lot of trap plays they weren't ready for or had practiced a whole lot.

I think our run D is fine.

davidonmi

Reaction score
The Outfield":2j4zgui9 said:

leroy hill was a big part of the problem last year

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
With how often we put 8 guys in the box because we can leave Earl all alone deep, I'd say we're bad - or perhaps not bad, but below average, at defending the run right now. Hard to say, need to see more games. If we give up 150+ yards rushing (overall not just the main RB) in the next two games as well, then it's pretty damned clear what the answer will be, IMO.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":3e5922om said:
I don't think we're bad, we're just average. It's the weakest part of the D in my opinion. (I'll add, the weakest part of a top 2 or 3 D in the NFL)

I think this is a good summary of it. It was really remarkably bad against the Bucs, and looked very bad against the Rams too. I really can't imagine poor performance of those levels will continue. It's a combination of building a Dline for the pass defense, and LBs who are really underperforming or just not nearly as good as they were imagined to be.

Largent80

Reaction score
You have to give credit where it is due. And that is to the opposing coaches and players for getting done what they drew up after watching multiple game films.

Uffda

Reaction score
Just trying to strip the ball more then tackle I thought. easy to fix.

CANHawk

Reaction score
davidonmi":1c13o80o said:
The Outfield":1c13o80o said:

leroy hill was a big part of the problem last year

I don't know about that. Leroy had his faults, but I recall him being pretty good at diagnosing the run and shutting it down for minimal gain. His absence is an interesting theory. But that was a strength of KJ when he played Sam too, so you'd THINK the drop off would be minimal...

I dunno. Something to ponder.

seeg

Reaction score
It seems to me that we played the run better when Wagner was injured, Wright played in the middle and Malcom Smith played. I remember Smith playing well and the defense stuffing the run. Yea, I know, heresy but that's what I remember.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Pete said he watched film of the run D for hours and sees what has to be fixed. And that it is fixable.

Guess we'll see.

Ozzy

Reaction score
We've played long stretches this year very well against the run so I do think its fixable. I think everyone is partly right. Pete's style of defense is to win your individual battles like someone already pointed out...and we just haven't done that. I do think its fixable and I'm not as worried about it as some. We will be ok.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
HawkFan72":dkn109qv said:
Pete said he watched film of the run D for hours and sees what has to be fixed. And that it is fixable.

Guess we'll see.

Only thing is, is that he said that after the Rams game and we all saw what the Bucs did to us. Lets hope they truly have identified the problem and fix it for the Falcons game.

ceej22

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":24nkf7fz said:

19th @ 116.2 yards a game
19th @ 4.2 yards an attempt

10th @ 103.1 yards a game
23rd @ 4.5 yards an attempt

They were less than 100 yards/game up until the Rams game. Just a bad couple of weeks. IMO they just need to get back to the basics, stay in their gaps, and do a better job of wrapping up. Talent is there, and I expect it to get fixed.

tdlabrie

Reaction score
Uffda":190a1fgi said:
Just trying to strip the ball more then tackle I thought. easy to fix.
Yeah, Pete said that too. I always thought the strategy was the first guy went completely for the tackle, and if the runner was still standing when the second Hawk got there he was the one trying to strip the ball.

That right? Or am I thinking Chuck Knox days?

Latest posts