Are the 49ers Better than the Seahawks?

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
Ace_Rimmer":2j9q1tey said:
Popeyejones":2j9q1tey said:
Four of the Seahawks five wins have come against common opponents of the 9ers.

The Seahawks beat those four teams by a combined 8 points.

The 49ers beat those four teams by a combined 69 points.

Who knows what ends up happening, but I think it takes a heavy dose of fan logic to argue that the 9ers haven't been better so far (which tbf had surprised me as much as anybody).

Again, scores do not matter. Other teams match up differently against other teams. We have this years MVP under centre, and I’m not worried about the Niners. The Rams were also missing some key personnel, and that shouldn’t be over looked.

Of course scores matter! The best predictor of future performance is previous performance, and scores are one measure of previous performance. If your offense usually scored more points, your offense was probably more capable than others, and your offense is more likely to perform better in the future than others. According to DVOA, which is probably the best publicly available statistic for comparing NFL teams, the 49ers are a top team compared to the rest of the NFL. Compared to us, they have so far greatly outperformed us on defense, also have a below average special teams, and are right behind our very good offense. If the 49ers are making more plays that result in bigger margins of victory than us (and so far, they have and it's not even close), it's because they're a better team overall right now.

John63

Reaction score
BirdsCommaAngry":3rawv5qt said:
Ace_Rimmer":3rawv5qt said:
Popeyejones":3rawv5qt said:
Four of the Seahawks five wins have come against common opponents of the 9ers.

The Seahawks beat those four teams by a combined 8 points.

The 49ers beat those four teams by a combined 69 points.

Who knows what ends up happening, but I think it takes a heavy dose of fan logic to argue that the 9ers haven't been better so far (which tbf had surprised me as much as anybody).

Again, scores do not matter. Other teams match up differently against other teams. We have this years MVP under centre, and I’m not worried about the Niners. The Rams were also missing some key personnel, and that shouldn’t be over looked.

Of course scores matter! The best predictor of future performance is previous performance, and scores are one measure of previous performance. If your offense usually scored more points, your offense was probably more capable than others, and your offense is more likely to perform better in the future than others. According to DVOA, which is probably the best publicly available statistic for comparing NFL teams, the 49ers are a top team compared to the rest of the NFL. Compared to us, they have so far greatly outperformed us on defense, also have a below average special teams, and are right behind our very good offense. If the 49ers are making more plays that result in bigger margins of victory than us (and so far, they have and it's not even close), it's because they're a better team overall right now.

Except all that info is a by product of games played which means match ups and play style matters. I mean if we blindly use your points thanks the jeta should have had no chance. However the Jeta matched up well with Dallas. Match up matter. Again no one here is saying SF is bad, but until I see more I will not say they are better than the Hawks. There is reason why either could be right.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
Match-ups matter more when you're predicting who is going to win a specific game. They mean a whole lot less (if they even matter at all) when we're talking about who is better overall. If we're talking overall, beating a specific team isn't as important as generally destroying most teams (which is what the 49ers have been doing so far whether we like it or not).

John63

Reaction score
BirdsCommaAngry":1sa8twpu said:
Match-ups matter more when you're predicting who is going to win a specific game. They mean a whole lot less (if they even matter at all) when we're talking about who is better overall. If we're talking overall, beating a specific team isn't as important as generally destroying most team (which is what the 49ers have been doing so far whether we like it or not).

So then If we beat the twice or they beat us twice it still does not mean who is better. Only that one team had a better match up. Lol.

Boycie

Reaction score
John63":171xfxkp said:
BirdsCommaAngry":171xfxkp said:
Match-ups matter more when you're predicting who is going to win a specific game. They mean a whole lot less (if they even matter at all) when we're talking about who is better overall. If we're talking overall, beating a specific team isn't as important as generally destroying most team (which is what the 49ers have been doing so far whether we like it or not).

So then If we beat the twice or they beat us twice it still does not mean who is better. Only that one team had a better match up. Lol.

Scores don’t tell the whole story. The Browns imploded and basically quit against the Niners. The Rams are missing key personnel, and came off of a dramatic loss to us, so there is that too. The Niners also played a Monday night game while we played the Browns at 10:00am. How often do we blow teams out? Not often because it’s not Pete’s style. He plays close to the vest and conservative to win the game in the fourth quarter.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Hawks vs 9ers.. will be an ugly game, Hawks win ugly games, it's what we do, we are the Seahawks.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
John63":cisf5xhy said:

Yes, head-to-head match-up results don't determine who is better (but they are a small part of it). We've seen plenty of this. We've lost to the Fisher Rams when we were the better team overall. The '07 Patriots lost the SB to the NYG despite being the better team overall.

Losing also doesn't mean a team definitely had a worse match-up either. There are plenty of other factors that can dramatically alter a team's performance game (injuries and recovering fumbles or "fumble luck" being among the biggest reasons).

Threedee

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":2qmg5sbd said:
It still makes me :pukeface: that we let Sherman fall into the hands of the enemy. He has a chance to get another ring and that pisses me off. I knew letting him go would bite us in the ass. I actually hate the dude. He hated Wilson(which I still don’t understand). I hate to say it, but when he got hurt, I was hoping that would ruin his ability. It didn’t. It’s very apparent that our D would be much better with him in it. Yes, I am very f- ing angry about this. :229031_banghead: :229031_banghead: :229031_banghead: :229031_banghead:

We could have prevented that bad break-up by firing some worthless coaches from our offense.

John63

Reaction score
BirdsCommaAngry":3geqjr75 said:
John63":3geqjr75 said:

Yes, head-to-head match-up results don't determine who is better (but they are a small part of it). We've seen plenty of this. We've lost to the Fisher Rams when we were the better team overall. The '07 Patriots lost the SB to the NYG despite being the better team overall.

Losing also doesn't mean a team definitely had a worse match-up either. There are plenty of other factors that can dramatically alter a team's performance game (injuries and recovering fumbles or "fumble luck" being among the biggest reasons).

So basically none is better than. Everyone, there all equal and it's all about who is on that night lol

John63

Reaction score
Threedee":5y9tccgf said:
Seahwkgal":5y9tccgf said:
It still makes me :pukeface: that we let Sherman fall into the hands of the enemy. He has a chance to get another ring and that pisses me off. I knew letting him go would bite us in the ass. I actually hate the dude. He hated Wilson(which I still don’t understand). I hate to say it, but when he got hurt, I was hoping that would ruin his ability. It didn’t. It’s very apparent that our D would be much better with him in it. Yes, I am very f- ing angry about this. :229031_banghead: :229031_banghead: :229031_banghead: :229031_banghead:

We could have prevented that bad break-up by firing some worthless coaches from our offense.

Yea not convinced that would have mattered.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
John63":jsojybtv said:
BirdsCommaAngry":jsojybtv said:
John63":jsojybtv said:

So basically none is better than. Everyone, there all equal and it's all about who is on that night lol

That's not what I'm saying at all lol. I'm saying it's all about DVOA if we want to try to answer who is better overall and answer that question accurately.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Every 49ers fan is concerned about "that ****ing midget" for our match-up on 11/11.

They are the better overall team right now, for sure. There's no completely accounting for that Russell Wilson Magic, though - no matter how good you are...and they know it. :)

John63

Reaction score
BirdsCommaAngry":2qi0n9as said:
John63":2qi0n9as said:
BirdsCommaAngry":2qi0n9as said:
John63":2qi0n9as said:

That's not what I'm saying at all lol. I'm saying it's all about DVOA if we want to try to answer who is better overall and answer that question accurately.

But again that is a stat that is impacted by who you play and the match up which you said does not show who is best. You can't have it both ways. Not only that but luck plays a part in it, like facing a team without there star RB while another has to. So DVOA does not show who is best, but who has gotten the most favorable match ups.

chris98251

Reaction score
Lets Talk Broncos Seahawks in the Super Bowl, best offense in NFL history, Match up kind of showed the better team that day I think.

John63

Reaction score
chris98251":192fwjb7 said:
Lets Talk Broncos Seahawks in the Super Bowl, best offense in NFL history, Match up kind of showed the better team that day I think.

Lol no that only showed the best match up. Denver was the better team, haven't you been following lol sarcasm off.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
John63":17aetmmn said:
But again that is a stat that is impacted by who you play and the match up which you said does not show who is best. You can't have it both ways. Not only that but luck plays a part in it, like facing a team without there star RB while another has to. So DVOA does. OToshow who is best, but who has gotten the most favorable match ups.

A single match-up doesn't determine who is best. It's too small of a small sample size. The 49ers, however, have been achieving about 40% more value than we do on average per play through 5 games, and we're a good team! We could sweep them and still lose the division because of how much better they've been playing than us.

Joey13091

Reaction score
Until we play them and prove we can beat them. I think yes the 49ers are better right now.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

John63

Reaction score
BirdsCommaAngry":rnb8z9mu said:
John63":rnb8z9mu said:
But again that is a stat that is impacted by who you play and the match up which you said does not show who is best. You can't have it both ways. Not only that but luck plays a part in it, like facing a team without there star RB while another has to. So DVOA does. OToshow who is best, but who has gotten the most favorable match ups.

A single match-up doesn't determine who is best. It's too small of a small sample size. The 49ers, however, have been achieving about 40% more value than we do on average per play through 5 games, and we're a good team! We could sweep them and still lose the division because of how much better they've been playing than us.

Again but if they happen to hit all these teams when they a missing a key piece they are nor beat just luckiest. Example say missing there top RB. I can go on. It still comes down to match ups, as you stated match ups do to show who is beat there can be no best. Only luckiest ti have the right match up at the right timw.

John63

Reaction score
Joey13091":16re0cqb said:
Until we play them and prove we can beat them. I think yes the 49ers are better right now.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Or until they play us and prove the can beat us they are not best. They only team to beat us they have not played yet.