Anaheim Angels @ Seattle Mariners May 31-Jun 2...

sutz

Reaction score
Another home division series. LFG M's!

Probables:

Fri: Soriano RHP (2-5, 3.61 ERA, 51K) vs B Woo RHP (2-0, 1.66 ERA, 16K) Apple+ TV

Sat: Detmers LHP (3-5, 5.76 ERA, 67K) vs B Miller RHP (4-5, 3.48 ERA, 62K) FOX Sports

Sun: Canning RHP (2.4, 5.08 ERA, 41K) vs L Castillo RHP (4-6, 3.28 ERA, 75K)

Should be able to beat these guys. Go Mariners!

Crizilla

Reaction score
France having a very solid past couple weeks.
Canzone was thrown 7 pitches that at-bat in the 3rd, only 1 of them was a strike. He strikes out swinging. Bench his arse.

Last edited:

Crizilla

Reaction score
And there goes Scotty again destroying an elite start by pulling the starter at 60 pitches. How clueless do you have to be? One of the worst managers in baseball no debate. The same story again and again and again and again......again.....again...... Can't wait for the idiot Ms fans to come in this thread worshipping Scotty's crotch. Idiots.

Ron Washington shat on Scotty with that Adell pinch hit. Amazing how in just one game we see the Ms coaching staff get owned. I bet Ron couldn't believe they pulled Woo. Unreal. I've never seen anything like this in 25 years of being a baseball fan.

Last edited:

Crizilla

Reaction score
Ty bailing out his manager. Thanks Ty. Thanks Woo. Sorry your manager shat on you tonight you deserved to stay in that game.

Last edited:

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
And there goes Scotty again destroying an elite start by pulling the starter at 60 pitches. How clueless do you have to be? One of the worst managers in baseball no debate. The same story again and again and again and again......again.....again...... Can't wait for the idiot Ms fans to come in this thread worshipping Scotty's crotch. Idiots.

Ron Washington shat on Scotty with that Adell pinch hit. Amazing how in just one game we see the Ms coaching staff get owned. I bet Ron couldn't believe they pulled Woo. Unreal. I've never seen anything like this in 25 years of being a baseball fan.
Woo wasnt feeling great. Glad to see how smart you truly are. 😅😅😅😅. Fans with zero insight claiming to know what is happening. Idiots.

Crizilla

Reaction score
Nope sorry it's now June these games matter. If you can pitch, and you're dealing and pitch count is in great shape youre staying in the game. Ms are SO lucky to win that game. You cannot piss away a start like that.

Last edited:

Ruminator

Reaction score
Well, I love watching Woo pitch, and all I'm going to say is, I'd like to see him be able to pitch the remainder of the season. And beyond if Ms qualify for post-season ball.

OP
OP
sutz

sutz

Reaction score
Well, I love watching Woo pitch, and all I'm going to say is, I'd like to see him be able to pitch the remainder of the season. And beyond if Ms qualify for post-season ball.
Yeah, the constant whining from the peanut gallery is a bit annoying.

Woo is on his first full season. He got 18 starts last year and they're hoping to get 30 out of him this year. Yes, he's on a pitch count and if he's a bit off physically that number goes down. It's not just about the pitch count, either, it's also about the innings, as in how many times he warms up for an inning after sitting. There is a lot going into these decisions, and nobody cares how well somebody's rotisserie baseball team is doing.

Hell, I'm a fan too, but I know enough to think with my head as much as my heart. At a few games above .500 we can afford to lean on the bullpen a bit, dontcha think? We're coming into the heart of the season and a big part of keeping players on the field is adequate management of playing time and quite frankly rest.

Oh, and we're in game 15 of a 17 game stretch with no days off. They're not robots, they're tired.

NoGain

Reaction score
We are so darn lucky the second place team in our division is three games below .500 and the Astros are eight games below. If we just don't collapse and can somehow get to, say, 90 wins...why not us? It's getting clearer by the day that winning our division and getting the #3 seed is possible, and the thing that interests and excites me the most.

Crawford, Polanco, Haniger, Garver, etc...come on. Just think if we had been more aggressive about getting one or two more real quality bats...we could be in the driver's seat for the playoffs and beyond. It's so frustrating that our ownership is what it is. We're in first place in spite of them, not because of them.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Nope sorry it's now June these games matter. If you can pitch, and you're dealing and pitch count is in great shape youre staying in the game. Ms are SO lucky to win that game. You cannot piss away a start like that.
In other words, fingers in ears lalalalala Ican'thearyou ohhhsaycanyouseeeeeeee

Chapow

Reaction score

This is from last Sunday, but it gives some good insight into why and how Servais manages his starting pitchers. It's not just about a single game, it's about load management and the bigger picture.

“It’s a number,” Servais said of the pitch count. “Not all pitches are created equal. And whether it’s stressful situations, it’s temperatures, it’s covering first base six times and falling down all over the place. There’s a lot (of factors) and they’re not all the same.”

To that end, every pitch and every situation is tracked, and not just for the current outing – the previous two or three are taken into account as well. During Saturday’s postgame show, former MLB pitcher and current Mariners analyst Ryan Rowland-Smith said with where the M’s are in their schedule and not having the extra days between starts they had back in April, his first thought when Servais went to the bullpen was to look at the big picture. The move was about the long-term, not the next three innings.

“The strength of our team is our starting pitching,” Servais said. “And if we’re sitting here in a good situation, a good spot, and you’re looking at August and September and they’ve got plenty left in the tank because we were very disciplined early in the season, you’re much more likely to let them run deep into games and whatnot.”

One option would be to go to a six-man rotation from time to time, but that is something the Mariners are hesitant to do. Instead, they manage innings game to game, and going into this stretch, Servais pointed out we likely would see starters pulled earlier from time to time to get them the rest they are not getting due to the schedule. It is not just a feel thing. There is actual recovery science that comes into play with every pitch tracked and trainers monitoring recovery between starts.

Anyway, it's a good read, but I suspect some people would rather remain ignorant and complain, whine, and criticize instead of educating themselves and maybe actually gaining some understanding regarding why the pitching is managed the way it is.

Last edited:

bileever

Reaction score
We are so darn lucky the second place team in our division is three games below .500 and the Astros are eight games below. If we just don't collapse and can somehow get to, say, 90 wins...why not us? It's getting clearer by the day that winning our division and getting the #3 seed is possible, and the thing that interests and excites me the most.

Crawford, Polanco, Haniger, Garver, etc...come on. Just think if we had been more aggressive about getting one or two more real quality bats...we could be in the driver's seat for the playoffs and beyond. It's so frustrating that our ownership is what it is. We're in first place in spite of them, not because of them.
But don't count out the Astros and Rangers yet. They both have two of the biggest payrolls in the MLB at $236 and $223 million, and they've both shown signs of getting better (and healthier). It might end up taking more than 90 wins to take the division.

And for those of us complaining about Dipoto and Servais (including me), we have to acknowledge that it's impressive that the Mariners are in first place with a significantly lower payroll than the other three teams. ($135 million-- even the Angels without Ohtani are at $172 million).

OP
OP
sutz

sutz

Reaction score
But don't count out the Astros and Rangers yet. They both have two of the biggest payrolls in the MLB at $236 and $223 million, and they've both shown signs of getting better (and healthier). It might end up taking more than 90 wins to take the division.

And for those of us complaining about Dipoto and Servais (including me), we have to acknowledge that it's impressive that the Mariners are in first place with a significantly lower payroll than the other three teams. ($135 million-- even the Angels without Ohtani are at $172 million).
I'm certainly not counting them out. I worry every game we play against them. So far this season, we've been able to beat them more than lose to them, but the season is far from over. And frankly, it's a major reason Servais is trying to preserve the pitching staff for crunch time.

Right now, we're on an 87 (162 * .542) win pace and need to pick it up, for sure.

Latest posts