Agent: Jalen Carter to visit only teams with top-10 pick

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
As I have said before (here and on the Bears forum), the differences of opinions on Carter is that some people look at statistics and others look at the tape.
Perhaps the tape is great, but the statistics are not because of some of the aforementioned concerns regarding his conditioning and desire to be great. It is just very suspicious to me that he has been compared to many great DTs but most of them had pretty good stats to back up their claims.

The biggest comp I see is to Suh. In college Suh was a Heisman finalist because he was completely unstoppable. Carter has not put together anywhere near that level of performance.

CPHawk

Reaction score
my thing I keep coming back to is his lack of production. How is it possible that he has so few tackles much less only 3 sacks?
Arik Armstead had 4 sacks as a DE in college. Their stats are pretty similar.

CactusJack

Reaction score
This! How is he even considered a top talent when he can't stay on the field, can't sack anyone, and can't tackle anyone? Hello? Are we all taking crazy pills here?
He's an absolute game wrecker & is virtually unblockable (1v1). You simply don't see many prospects with his talent. The combination of speed, quickness & power.

Last edited:

Kamcussionator

Reaction score
Rob Stanton had the idea that Rosenhaus put this out because Carter is not getting much interest. Basically masking the weak market and trying to cast his client as a guaranteed top 10 pick.

The Seahawks, Lions, Bears, and Eagles can all use him so it's not a terrible gambit.

James in PA

Reaction score
I'm still taking Richardson, Anderson or Carter (probably in that order) at 5.

CactusJack

Reaction score
Rob Stanton had the idea that Rosenhaus put this out because Carter is not getting much interest. Basically masking the weak market and trying to cast his client as a guaranteed top 10 pick.

The Seahawks, Lions, Bears, and Eagles can all use him so it's not a terrible gambit.
Some folks will try to find any negative & try to spin it.

If you read or follow Rob Staton's blog, then you'll likely come away unimpressed. Because Rob continuously shits on the guy. While completely ignoring just how dominate a player he was for Georgia.

That's why you have to be careful when it comes to where/who you get your information from. Rob at times is incredibly biased.

Last edited:

Floridahawk79

Reaction score

Stanton thinks he knows everything and claims to have sources but is most often wrong.

CactusJack

Reaction score
Stanton thinks he knows everything and claims to have sources but is most often wrong.
Rob is hit or miss.

I occasionally will read some of his stuff for the draft content. Although...

I find that he plays favorites & really goes in on a guy if he dislikes him. Carter has been his punching bag the last few months.

Tony Pauline is a guy that he routinely uses as a credible source. While Pauline has been less than reliable in the past.

Rob can also be a royal jackass in responding to fair criticism or an opposing viewpoint. His comment section is typically an echo chamber of his thoughts.

Last edited:

Sonichound16

Reaction score
Dude is 22 years old and has made some poor decisions but who hasn't at that age. All of us just weren't under the microscope of the National media. I get that it is a risk to take him due to conditioning issues and perceived lack of drive. Imagine the amount of pressure you would be under going into the combine and having that whole crash situation with everyone in the country jumping off the bandwagon and bashing you on social media. No surprise his pro day wasn't a smashing success. I am not saying that there aren't some people who would shrug that off and power through it but everyone isn't built the same and deals with issues in different ways. The more I read about how the draft is looking like it is going to pan out the more I think that Carter is going to be the Hawks pick. If Pete and John think that he is a guy that they can work with then you can't deny his physical tools. If I would have said 2 months ago that we were going to get Jalen Carter with the #5 pick then I bet no one would have blinked. There was plenty of talk about him going #1. That video CactusJack posted is pretty impressive. I never really have looked at how a player does in 1v1 situations and always have deferred to the stats. You get a guy who is commanding double and triple teams to stop him and it frees up the rest of your defense to go to work.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score

He's an absolute game wrecker & is virtually unblockable (1v1). You simply don't see many prospects with his talent. The combination of speed, quickness & power.

if he was really that dominant, he would have vastly better stats. His combined stats for his entire career don't even add up to 1 good year.

CactusJack

Reaction score
if he was really that dominant, he would have vastly better stats. His combined stats for his entire career don't even add up to 1 good year.
If you watch his film, you'll notice that he consistently wins. Often times completely blowing up the play.

Again, stats are one of the most misleading tells for a guy with his skillset. He is still a major problem for opposing teams to deal with.

Most analysts who study & watch film will tell you that he's an absolute freak. The best Interior DL to come out in some time.

Last edited:

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
jalen carter's ceiling is really high. serious untapped potential. if he fully commits to being a HOF player, he will become a HOF player. the fact that he was so disruptive and sometimes even dominant despite his lack of conditioning / training shows that in the right program with the right level of commitment on his part, he can still be much better than what we've seen thus far. and that's crazy to think about. better than ndamukong suh type potential. i seem to remember suh having similar character concerns at that age. https://www.sbnation.com/2012/10/12/3495516/ndamukong-suh-lawsuit-latest-news

i'm not talking myself into him at #5. but i don't fault those that choose to trump his talent/potential over character concerns and bust potential. he's the most polarizing player in the draft... even moreso than AR15.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
If you watch his film, you'll notice that he consistently wins. Often times completely blowing up the play.

Again, stats are one of the most misleading tells for a guy with his skillset. He is still a major problem for opposing teams to deal with. The one player that has to be game planned around. Teams routinely have to double him.

Most analysts who study & watch film will tell you that he's an absolute freak. The best Interior DL to come out in some time.
I want to be convinced!!

WarHawks

Reaction score
jalen carter's ceiling is really high. serious untapped potential. if he fully commits to being a HOF player, he will become a HOF player. the fact that he was so disruptive and sometimes even dominant despite his lack of conditioning / training shows that in the right program with the right level of commitment on his part, he can still be much better than what we've seen thus far. and that's crazy to think about. better than ndamukong suh type potential. i seem to remember suh having similar character concerns at that age. https://www.sbnation.com/2012/10/12/3495516/ndamukong-suh-lawsuit-latest-news

i'm not talking myself into him at #5. but i don't fault those that choose to trump his talent/potential over character concerns and bust potential. he's the most polarizing player in the draft... even moreso than AR15.
I agree, but I don't think you can teach commitment. Either you have it or you don't.

nwHawk

Reaction score
I remember when Rob was a regular poster here and through out the idea of hey, I should start a blog. He did and good for him. We disagreed countless times. He’s just a guy on the internet.

toffee

Reaction score
Rob is hit or miss.

I occasionally will read some of his stuff for the draft content. Although...

I find that he plays favorites & really goes in on a guy if he dislikes him. Carter has been his punching bag the last few months.

Tony Pauline is a guy that he routinely uses as a credible source. While Pauline has been less than reliable in the past.

Rob can also be a jackass in responding to fair criticism or an opposing viewpoint. His comment section is typically an echo chamber of his thoughts.
You have more or less the same information on football matters that Rob has, and I don't think that he ever played or trained in football. In short, your guess is just as good or bad as his.

Last edited:

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score

I just can't reconcile highlight videos like this, with his complete lack of production. He averages a sack every 4 games and less than 1 TFL per game. If he is that dominant and always winnings why is he not having a bigger impact on the game? Also, why was he nearly washed out in the playoffs? Something just doesn't add up.