Adams to come off pup list

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
What does it matter? Your opinion is always right...right?

Not at all. But you keep saying things you can't back up, so all I'm asking for is some proof.......of which you can't provide.

Absolutely no one thinks the Adams trade was good, or he's played well beyond the 1st year, and NO ONE certainly thinks it was a good trade, or contract.

If you were just to admit "hey, I know I'm alone on this but the Adam's trade was amazing!" Then we could move on. But you don't seem to think that for whatever reason. Stubborn? Got hit in the head? Idk, you tell us.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
Not at all. But you keep saying things you can't back up, so all I'm asking for is some proof.......of which you can't provide.

Absolutely no one thinks the Adams trade was good, or he's played well beyond the 1st year, and NO ONE certainly thinks it was a good trade, or contract.

If you were just to admit "hey, I know I'm alone on this but the Adam's trade was amazing!" Then we could move on. But you don't seem to think that for whatever reason. Stubborn? Got hit in the head? Idk, you tell us.
Wonder why this site is dead now-a- days? People pushing their opinions. No one else can have an opinion here guys. There's only room for who matters!

I need proof, because other people's posts and opinions cement weather or not Adams is good. Ridiculous dude. Get off your high horse and stop pretending to be the gm or Seahawks consultant who can do better than what has been done. Lastly, to that point, let go man. You and no one on this site drafts, trades or anything football better than what currently resides in the front office. Otherwise...you would be there.

Let's gets some proof from you?

When Jamal is on the field does he make the defense better? Yes! Does he he play within the realm of what safeties make? Yes. Is he the sole reason Seattle hasn't been or done much in the playoffs since he has been here? No! Was he hurt much of last season? Yes. Is that the reason everyone is butthurt about him? Also yes.

Bye.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Wonder why this site is dead now-a- days? People pushing their opinions. No one else can have an opinion here guys. There's only room for who matters!

I need proof, because other people's posts and opinions cement weather or not Adams is good. Ridiculous dude. Get off your high horse and stop pretending to be the gm or Seahawks consultant who can do better than what has been done. Lastly, to that point, let go man. You and no one on this site drafts, trades or anything football better than what currently resides in the front office. Otherwise...you would be there.

Let's gets some proof from you?

When Jamal is on the field does he make the defense better? Yes! Does he he play within the realm of what safeties make? Yes. Is he the sole reason Seattle hasn't been or done much in the playoffs since he has been here? No! Was he hurt much of last season? Yes. Is that the reason everyone is butthurt about him? Also yes.

Bye.
It's not a matter of proof as much as it is evidence. There is nothing you can cite beyond a subjective opinion that shows that Adams makes our defense better. On the flip side, others can at least provide some statistical data that supports our opinions, such as being ranked next to last in pass defense and 28th in overall defense, that he does not make our defense better.

That doesn't mean that we're right and you're wrong, but it does mean that our farts stink more than yours do.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
It's not a matter of proof as much as it is evidence. There is nothing you can cite beyond a subjective opinion that shows that Adams makes our defense better. On the flip side, others can at least provide some statistical data that supports our opinions, such as being ranked next to last in pass defense and 28th in overall defense, that he does not make our defense better.

That doesn't mean that we're right and you're wrong, but it does mean that our farts stink more than yours do.
Reread what you are saying. You are saying your opinion and statistical backing supports your opinion. While at the same time saying my opinion doesn't back mine and makes the defense better. So tell how you prove it's worse with Adams? Go ahead I'll play your dumb ass game and prove you wrong. Give me all the stats....contracts etc like you have info I can't get. Go ahead...proceed...

RiverDog

Reaction score
Reread what you are saying. You are saying your opinion and statistical backing supports your opinion. While at the same time saying my opinion doesn't back mine and makes the defense better. So tell how you prove it's worse with Adams? Go ahead I'll play your dumb ass game and prove you wrong. Give me all the stats....contracts etc like you have info I can't get. Go ahead...proceed...
I see no reason to go over the same ground twice. I've already stated my opinion and given you the facts that support it. If you want to continue this debate, then go back to my posts, hit reply, and highlight what it is you object to.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
Ok team pass defense last year? Rank...with out Adams says your statistically backed? No. They added woolen, Jackson, Bryant and Neal, who is now gone. How does saying ranked team pass defense give me an idea of how to rate Jamal Adams? Would he have helped them last year or would it have been worse?

Exactly, you can't say and opinion is subjective also.

I find your statistically backing. Don't worry.

warden

Reaction score
Adams is a Seahawk. I am a Seahawk fan. I am happy he is off PUP-and going to be part of our team. I hope he plays well. I just imagine what our secondary can be with Diggs, Adams, Love, Woolen, Bryant, Witherspoon and Jackson. I am glad to see Reed and Wagner back. I love the signing of Jones. So many young first and second round draft picks added to our defense the last couple of years. Let’s see how they developed and how they do. On defense there is so much potential to be drastically improved. Why people only want to focus on last year and only on a player that was injured last year is beyond me. Last year was last year. This year is all that matters. We could be on the verge of something special this year. So Jamal Adams, I hope you rock

RiverDog

Reaction score
Ok team pass defense last year? Rank...with out Adams says your statistically backed? No. They added woolen, Jackson, Bryant and Neal, who is now gone. How does saying ranked team pass defense give me an idea of how to rate Jamal Adams? Would he have helped them last year or would it have been worse?

Exactly, you can't say and opinion is subjective also.

I find your statistically backing. Don't worry.
Pass defense last year with Adams out was ranked 13th.

Of course, there's other factors in that improvement of which you mentioned several. But the point is that there is no statistical evidence that shows our defense, specifically our pass defense, is better with Adams in the lineup. It was bad with him in there, much better when he wasn't. That's a fact.

xray

Reaction score
A player that contributes only half the time on any team is just average over the long run . The Jets knew something imo .

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Does anyone think this guy will ever be relevant again? Check out his actual injuries if Pete didn't have way too much power he'd have been gone as deserved 3 years ago at let John actually draft like for the last 2 years and get a younger coach that the new ownership will prefer.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
Does anyone think this guy will ever be relevant again?

I don't think he'll be very relevant, at least not in a positive way. I'd love to be wrong about this, but there are lots of good reasons to believe he'll contribute very little on the field, and his relevance will mostly be in his outsized cap hit and what is likely to amount to a waste of a roster spot in a defensive backfield so loaded with talent that it's likely that any player cut will play for for some other team and outproduce Adams. The potential opportunity cost of keeping Adams on the roster this season is pretty big.

Adams was already limited in his abilities -- very good at certain things, but not very good at others, including some of the most important for safeties, and he's too small to move to linebacker in the NFL. Before his injury in 2021, he was just not doing anything very well. And then he missed almost all of 2022.

In the article about injuries like Adams's 2022 injury that @bileever posted, it says
Even with timely surgical repair, there is a low rate of return to play in regular-season games.

I'm not sure whether the fact that his injury was extremely severe -- I have read a few times that the tendon separated completely from the bone -- improves or worsens the prognosis.

In any case, it would be unfair to expect him to produce much at all this season. Given that he didn't play in 2021 like he had previously, and he's attempting a comeback from an injury from which players frequently don't recover enough to return to being able to play in the NFL, I expect very little from him in 2023.

If he had played all of 2022 and been as unproductive as he was in the part of the 2021 season he played, I'd have expected the Seahawks to designate him as a post-June 1 cut this year, leaving $9.67M of dead money on the Seahawks' 2023 cap, but freeing up $8.44M of cap space for this season, and then leaving $14.22M of dead money on next year's cap. But since he was injured, cutting him wasn't an option. Additionally, I have no way of knowing whether he would have been as unproductive in 2022 as he was in 2021.

I consider it very likely he'll be at least as unproductive in 2023 as he was in 2021, and very probably worse. So now let's jump to the next offseason and think about what the Seahawks will be able to do if he doesn't have another season-ending injury this season. And since "health is a skill," that is, players who have lots of injury problems tend to continue to have lots of injury problems despite the selection bias of the players with the worst injury problems leaving the league working in the opposite direction, I don't consider another season-ending injury anywhere near as unlikely as we'd all like it to be.

At that point, the Seahawks will only have to take $7.11M in dead money on the 2024 cap and $7.11M in dead money on the 2025 cap if they designate Adams as a post-June 1 cut, or the full $14.22M on the 2024 cap and a fresh start in 2025 with no more vestiges of this disaster of a contract on their cap anymore if they prefer to do it that way.

And what would be the argument against that? "Look how many sacks he had in 2020 as part of a defense that was among the worst in recent Seahawks history, and never mind that he wasn't all that good at the things a safety is normally expected to do."

I would love to be wrong about this, but I don't expect Adams to contribute much more as a Seahawk beyond what he already has. If it goes that way, my attitude will be something along the lines of "thanks for 2020 Jamal, and is there anything I can do to convince you to play for the Broncos next?" I sure hope it doesn't go that way, but I certainly wouldn't bet money on it not going that way.

Last edited:

RiverDog

Reaction score
I don't think he'll be very relevant, at least not in a positive way. I'd love to be wrong about this, but there are lots of good reasons to believe he'll contribute very little on the field, and his relevance will mostly be in his outsized cap hit and what is likely to amount to a waste of a roster spot in a defensive backfield so loaded with talent that it's likely that any player cut will play for for some other team and outproduce Adams. The potential opportunity cost of keeping Adams on the roster this season is pretty big.

Adams was already limited in his abilities -- very good at certain things, but not very good at others, including some of the most important for safeties, and he's too small to move to linebacker in the NFL. Before his injury in 2021, he was just not doing anything very well. And then he missed almost all of 2022.

In the article about injuries like Adams's 2022 injury that @bileever posted, it says

I'm not sure whether the fact that his injury was extremely severe -- I have read a few times that the tendon separated completely from the bone -- improves or worsens the prognosis.

In any case, it would be unfair to expect him to produce much at all this season. Given that he didn't play in 2021 like he had previously, and he's attempting a comeback from an injury from which many players never recover enough to return to being able to play in the NFL, I expect very little from him in 2023.

If he had played all of 2022 and been as unproductive as he was in the part of the 2021 season he played, I'd have expected the Seahawks to designate him as a post-June 1 cut this year, leaving $9.67M of dead money on the Seahawks' 2023 cap, but freeing up $8.44M of cap space for this season, and then leaving $14.22M of dead money on next year's cap. But since he was injured, cutting him wasn't an option. Additionally, I have no way of knowing whether he would have been as unproductive in 2022 as he was in 2021.

I consider it very likely he'll be at least as unproductive in 2023 as he was in 2021, and very probably worse. So now let's jump to the next offseason and think about what the Seahawks will be able to do if he doesn't have another season-ending injury this season. And since "health is a skill," that is, players who have lots of injury problems tend to continue to have lots of injury problems despite the selection bias of the players with the worst injury problems leaving the league working in the opposite direction, I don't consider another season-ending injury anywhere near as unlikely as we'd all like it to be.

At that point, the Seahawks will only have to take $7.11M in dead money on the 2024 cap and $7.11M in dead money on the 2025 cap if they designate Adams as a post-June 1 cut, or the full $14.22M on the 2024 cap and a fresh start in 2025 with no more vestiges of this disaster of a contract on their cap anymore if they prefer to do it that way.

And what would be the argument against that? "Look how many sacks he had in 2020 as part of a defense that was among the worst in recent Seahawks history, and never mind that he wasn't all that good at the things a safety is normally expected to do."

I would love to be wrong about this, but I don't expect Adams to contribute much more as a Seahawk than he already has. If it goes that way, my attitude will be something along the lines of "thanks for 2020 Jamal, and is there anything I can do to convince you to play for the Broncos next?" I sure hope it doesn't go that way, but I certainly wouldn't bet money on it not going that way.
Excellent analysis, and I agree with all of it. Well done!

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Saying teams figured him out is wrong. He was employed differently then in his first season here. He played more deep safety than usual and less in the box. Where there were using Neal in a more swiss army knife fashion. This is why Neal showed well Everytime he was on the field. Adams is constantly disrupting pass plays or in good coverage. Because he can't catch doesn't mean he is a liability in coverage, because he isn't. He makes plays all over the field. People need to get over the dam trade, because in reality it worked out for us. He has helped win us more games than causing losses.

Wow

AnimeAmore

Reaction score
(Satire)
Breaking News: Adams slips and falls while coming off the PUP list, injures self.

Jville

Reaction score

In any case, it would be unfair to expect him to produce much at all this season. Given that he didn't play in 2021 like he had previously, and he's attempting a comeback from an injury from which players frequently don't recover enough to return to being able to play in the NFL, I expect very little from him in 2023.

I would love to be wrong about this, but I don't expect Adams to contribute much more as a Seahawk beyond what he already has. If it goes that way, my attitude will be something along the lines of "thanks for 2020 Jamal, and is there anything I can do to convince you to play for the Broncos next?" I sure hope it doesn't go that way, but I certainly wouldn't bet money on it not going that way.

Although I'm not entirely on board with every single point you made, I certainly appreciate your thoughtful post and look forward to future opinions. Thoughtful opinion is so much more meaningful than the four letter outbursts and insults that plague the forum.

Thanks for setting a great example for others as to what a meaningful post reads like.

warden

Reaction score
Does anyone think this guy will ever be relevant again? Check out his actual injuries if Pete didn't have way too much power he'd have been gone as deserved 3 years ago at let John actually draft like for the last 2 years and get a younger coach that the new ownership will prefer.
So you are in the war room now. Knowing who is making the decisions on the draft picks.

samwize77

Reaction score
JA has the ability to be a difference maker. Certainly a pro-bowl caliber player. However, he has to be used correctly within our defense AND stay healthy (otherwise he is of no use to anybody).
Will he ever live up to his contract? I certainly have my doubts BUT, I for one will remain hopeful and will wait to see what happens. If he doesn't pan out this year then I'll be happy to see him cut loose.
However, I'm in the camp that JA can still help this team dramatically and I'm willing to wait and see how he is used and how it affects the OVERALL defense. We're kind of committed at this point so why not stay positive.