Adams contract

Jville

Reaction score
Lying no. Telling the entire story - definitely not and for aforementioned reasons eloquently stated above

There is never enough time or interest during any singular press conference to tell the entire story about anything on any subject.

That's just the nature of the entertainment/network media.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I think there might be lingering injury issue with Adams. PC called out Woolen too but hasn't benched him or made him inactive for games. Adams is recovering from a torn quadriceps tendon. His mental state may be as such that he might want to retire. Who knows. He admitted he has considered it, when he was injured last season, in an article published in Sept - https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/09/30/j...er-2022-season-ending-injury-seattle-seahawks
If that's the case, then you want that player on the sidelines or at home, rather on the field.

Jville

Reaction score
I think there might be lingering injury issue with Adams. PC called out Woolen too but hasn't benched him or made him inactive for games. Adams is recovering from a torn quadriceps tendon. His mental state may be as such that he might want to retire. Who knows. He admitted he has considered it, when he was injured last season, in an article published in Sept - https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/09/30/j...er-2022-season-ending-injury-seattle-seahawks
If that's the case, then you want that player on the sidelines or at home, rather on the field.

It seems to me that Adams would benefit from from resting his body. He could retire for a year and then mount a come back. We had a nose tackle do just that ..... a couple years ago ...... successfully.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Conspiracy time. I mentioned it once before, but does anybody else think Adams got butt hurt when Pete called him out and now he just refuses to play? I know its far fetched, but I wouldn't put it past somebody like Adams.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
The scheduled base salaries under Adam's current contract are $16.5 mil in 2024 and $17.5 mil in 2025. Those are not a very tradable numbers for an injured player with degraded health and skills.

Note: "In 2023 the Seahawks converted $9.92 million of Adams' salary into a bonus to create $6.61 million in cap room. His cap number in 2024 and 2025 each increased by $3.3 million." --- per OTC.

Link >>> https://overthecap.com/player/jamal-adams/5590
Question…if Adams retires as soon as this season is over, do the Seahawks still take cap hits in ‘24 and ‘25? I know if they release him they do. Just not sure about retirement.

renofox

Reaction score
Question…if Adams retires as soon as this season is over, do the Seahawks still take cap hits in ‘24 and ‘25? I know if they release him they do. Just not sure about retirement.
Simple explanation:

Dead Money is money that has been paid to the player but not accounted for in the cap.

Usually it is signing bonuses and restructures that were used to shift cap into future years.

Very rarely it also includes future guaranteed salary that the player is owed but has not yet been paid.

Adams has ~$20.8M of dead money in signing bonus and restructure that will hit the cap in 24/25 whether he is retained, released or retires.

His 2024 salary of $16.5M has no guarantees except for the normal veteran guarantee if he is on the roster for the 1st regular season game.

If he cannot pass a physical before then, he can still be cut but he will then be due an injury settlement. Most likely under $2M.

OneLofaTatupu

Reaction score
There is never enough time or interest during any singular press conference to tell the entire story about anything on any subject.

That's just the nature of the entertainment/network media.
Well there would be no reason to keep suckling if we got it all

Mick063

Reaction score
Teams are opting to live with dead money at an accelerating rate. Most of it has to do with coach/GM turnover. Unwanted players are routinely inherited, and the new management is willing to eat salary to recreate the team to fit their vision. The new coaches/GMs are typically on a four-year timer, and the pressure for immediate results gives them some latitude with their owners when it comes to personnel decisions. Of course, this has little to do with Pete and John except for the fact that eating salary has started to become an acceptable league wide practice. Pete and John may not be in immediate danger, but that doesn't mean an evolving NFL culture won't affect their management style.

Welshers2

Reaction score
Time to cut our losses. No way they try and bring him back next year.... right?

AnimeAmore

Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure about how it is allowed to be spread out, but the Hawks still do have to take the cap hit. Player retirement doesn't negate the salary cap accounting.

AnimeAmore

Reaction score
Teams are opting to live with dead money at an accelerating rate. Most of it has to do with coach/GM turnover. Unwanted players are routinely inherited, and the new management is willing to eat salary to recreate the team to fit their vision. The new coaches/GMs are typically on a four-year timer, and the pressure for immediate results gives them some latitude with their owners when it comes to personnel decisions. Of course, this has little to do with Pete and John except for the fact that eating salary has started to become an acceptable league wide practice. Pete and John may not be in immediate danger, but that doesn't mean an evolving NFL culture won't affect their management style.
"If all your friends jumped off a bridge, would you jump too?"
For decades the NFL has been a copycat league of cowards, and the GMs/coaches that are brave enough to find a better way have benefited.
Dead cap space is purely wasted $$$. I understand that you can't bring it down to 0 based on the physical nature of the game and how contracts are done, but the ONLY reasons teams have to take huge dead cap hits is because they are borrowing from the future or giving out bad contracts.
Any GM who can back away from bad deals and avoid borrowing against the future will be in a position to field playoff teams every year.

Jville

Reaction score

Yes. Most likely such a retirement would be effective post June 1st. All of his previously paid signing bonuses must be accounted for. The dead cap hits in both 24 and 25 would be $10,416,666 for each year. However, it would free up $16,500,000 in cap space for 2024. Like a lot of teams, Seahawks have been converting salary to multiyear pro rated bonuses to create cap space in the current year since the pandemic year impacted the cap of that year.

When Drew Brees retired, the Saints carried significant dead cap numbers that reduced their cap space for a couple of years. It happens.

Last edited:

flv2

Reaction score
Yes. Dead money paid can't go unaccounted for. It's marginal whether the Seahawks designate him as a Post June 1 cut to delay the scheduled 2025 $10.4M hit until 2025 or just cut him and accelerate the hit into 2024. The problem with the Jun 1 designation is accounting for his $16.5M 2024 salary until Jun 1. If he were to sign a revised min wage exit contract for 2024 with an player opt out/release for March it would be a no-brainer to designate him as a Post Jun 1 cut. Such a contract would need to be signed by Week 18.

Hawknight

Reaction score
He needs to be gone regardless of how much it cost. He takes up a spot on the team to be a very highly paid ineffective player, hell statues in a park have a bigger impact. I hope he is forever forgotten in Seattle. Wasted memories he is to me.

AnimeAmore

Reaction score
He needs to be gone regardless of how much it cost. He takes up a spot on the team to be a very highly paid ineffective player, hell statues in a park have a bigger impact. I hope he is forever forgotten in Seattle. Wasted memories he is to me.
One of the few silver linings is that we weren't in the middle of a super bowl window. We weren't going to compete for a Lombardi even if we kept those 1sts and used that cap space elsewhere, although we would obviously be better off than we are now.
Also the Russell trade pretty much cancels out the Adams trade (which should be an indicator of how bad the adams trade was).

Scout

Reaction score
If Adams isn't on the field consistently enough he is taking up a roster spot for a younger promising player. At some point that dead money is worthwhile if you can have a cheap rookie training in your organization to develop and grow.