Abraham Lucas undergoes surgery today

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
Screenshot 20240117 103929 InstagramLucas is getting surgery today to repair his knee, a injury that sidelined him for a large part of the 2023 season. Hopefully he can make a full recovery.

Should they draft someone as a contingency plan incase he isn't ready or the injury resurfaces? Or should Seattle stick with and further develop Stone Forsythe and/or Jake Curhan?

renofox

Reaction score
Forsythe is adequate as RT depth when compared to all the other glaring needs on the roster. Cross may not be progressing as quickly as we'd like but he is the starter, period. So we need LT depth.

High round picks are too valuable to use on depth, and day 3 picks are too much of a gamble to guarantee semi-competent, replacement(-) level play. 20-25th rated vets are getting $6-10M in free agency, and you have plenty of NFL film to know that they probably won't completely collapse like a rookie could.

Keep Forsythe. He's proven to be somewhere near a replacement level backup.

Either keep Curhan or sign a low priced vet. Since Cross and Lucas have health/performance concerns, I would lean slightly towards bringing in a vet.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
Abraham has the lowest PFF grade (53.1) of all 6 Seahawks tackles. Once he's healthy I hope that grade gets better. In the mean time I'd prefer to seek tackle depth in FA not the draft.

Last edited:

JPatera76

Reaction score
Abraham has the lowest PFF grade (53.1) of all 5 Seahawks tackles. Once he's healthy I hope that grade gets better. In the mean time I'd prefer to seek tackle depth in FA not the draft.
He also played a lot less so there’s kow
Much there to go off and grade so it’s lopsided. And that’s why I personally dislike “grades”

Weadoption

Reaction score
no doubt they can find someone in FA to hold down the fort while Lucas recovers, but man what a deep draft to gamble you hit on a monster tackle that you maybe move to guard as a starter. The Cowboys are masters of keeping the Online dominant.
More than anything else, I want a head coach that is going to come in here and year after year dedicate themselves to setting a standard for absolutely dominant O line play for the running game. Any running scheme that any new HC comes in with has to fix the O line first, imo.
This is a damned good draft for both O line plug in starters and depth.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
He also played a lot less so there’s kow
Much there to go off and grade so it’s lopsided. And that’s why I personally dislike “grades”
PFF is widely used for a reason. It may not be exact but it does give you an idea of comparative skill. Even though Abraham's sample size may be small there's still enough data to suggest he has room for improvement. Hopefully once he's healthy he'll have the chance to prove PFF wrong.

CouchLogic

Reaction score
Definitely draft, sign a vet as a contingency. I've only read bad things about this dudes knee, I'd be shocked if it holds up.

Seattle Person

Reaction score
I would like for the Hawks to explore one of the tackles in the first round. You can still move that player inside and be the back up plan for Abe Lucas long term (just in case).

I think it's a pretty strong class for Tackles and Guards. Troy Fautanu, Taliese Fuaga, Olumuyiwa Fashanu, JC Latham, Amarius Mims, Jordan Morgan, Graham Barton.

I wouldn't mind a trade down to net another 3rd. You can still target one of the tackles or Sedrick Van Pran.

Tracking the trends from the last 2 drafts then we should look at the strengths of the draft. That is Oline, WRs, and TEs. I don't think it's a very strong Dline class (on the edge or interior).

Last edited:

12forlife

Reaction score
I would like for the Hawks to explore one of the tackles in the first round. You can still move that player inside and be the back up plan for Abe Lucas long term (just in case).

I think it's a pretty strong class for Tackles and Guards. Troy Fautanu, Taliese Fuaga, Olumuyiwa Fashanu, JC Latham, Amarius Mims, Jordan Morgan, Graham Barton.

I wouldn't mind a trade down to net another 3rd. You can still target one of the tackles or Sedrick Van Pran.

If track the trends from the last 2 drafts then we should look at the strengths of the draft. That is Oline, WRs, and TEs. I don't think it's a very strong Dline class (on the edge or interior).
I'm wondering if the Hawks don't take a OT if the right one falls to them, and bump Abe to Gaurd? This is a deep OL & WR class. Not so much TE. There is decent depth at LB & DL, also pretty weak @ DE.
Going to be interesting what our needs are come time for the draft & FA, after JS & New coach get done trimming the fat.

renofox

Reaction score
How was his grade last year? Not only is this year a small sample size, I am pretty sure he also played hurt when he was in there that would have reduced his effectiveness
PC said it was a "power issue", or that he was able to play but did not have the power necessary to play at an adequate level. PFF is usually pretty good but has plenty of WTF grades.

If you trust PFF, Lucas was named to their All Rookie Team:

https://www.seahawks.com/news/wedne...EATTLE SEAHAWKS,and allowed only 28 pressures.

Eye test and performance results show he's good, assuming his health issue is resolved.

Seattle Person

Reaction score
I'm wondering if the Hawks don't take a OT if the right one falls to them, and bump Abe to Gaurd? This is a deep OL & WR class. Not so much TE. There is decent depth at LB & DL, also pretty weak @ DE.
Going to be interesting what our needs are come time for the draft & FA, after JS & New coach get done trimming the fat.

I think it's a pretty strong class for TEs. They might even take two. One to be the move-TE and the other to be the blocking TE. So Ben Sinnott as the move-TE and AJ Barner as the blocking TE.

Last edited:

renofox

Reaction score
I think it's a pretty strong class for TEs. They might even take two. One to be the move-TE and the other to be the blocking TE. So Ben Sinnott as the move-TE and AJ Barner as the blocking TEs.
There's also excellent IDL (day2) and great ILB (day 2 and 3) depth, and plenty of high-potential day 3 IOL players.

I really hope the draft falls their way to solve their greatest needs with BPAs.

Jville

Reaction score
PFF is widely used for a reason. It may not be exact but it does give you an idea of comparative skill. Even though Abraham's sample size may be small there's still enough data to suggest he has room for improvement. Hopefully once he's healthy he'll have the chance to prove PFF wrong.

What data? PFF doesn't publish it's data.

toffee

Reaction score
The the opportunity presents itself, like how Duane Brown became available a few years ago, I am open to signing a legit LT and move Cross to RT or LG.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
PFF doesn't pass the eye test on that one - our offensive line was significantly more effective whenever Lucas was on the field this year
It's really hard to gauge OL performance since there are few attributable stats outside of sacks, hurries, passing & rushing yards.

Jville

Reaction score
View attachment 63632Lucas is getting surgery today to repair his knee, a injury that sidelined him for a large part of the 2023 season. Hopefully he can make a full recovery.

Should they draft someone as a contingency plan incase he isn't ready or the injury resurfaces? Or should Seattle stick with and further develop Stone Forsythe and/or Jake Curhan?

Abe Lucas had shoulder surgery at the end of the 2022 season. So in year two, knee surgery at the end of the 2023 season. One can almost hear the trend followers writing Abe off. But when healthy, I do think of Abe's play as the best on the roster. He does need to find his way to stay healthier over the course of the season. Best wishes for a productive rehab. I want to see more of his play.

Every year is a good year to look for a left tackle. But, Charles Cross is the starting left tackle for 2024.

Stone Forsythe has improved during his first 3 years while accumulating snaps. A 6'8' linemen is always going to have to work on pad level. I like him as a swing backup and 6th lineman in heavy formations. He's finishing his rookie contract in 2024.

Jake Curhan's transition to guard was interrupted by injuries to team mates. I'd like to see free agent Jake resigned for further development as a right side tackle/guard. We'll see. He could decide to bolt for another opportunity.

Left Tackle Raiqwon O'Neil and tackle/guard McClendon Curtis didn't see qualifying playing time during 2023. John Schneider kept both projects on the regular roster rather than risk losing them on waivers. Both are exclusive rights free agents that will almost certainly be signed to the upcoming 90 man roster.

Last edited: