A Solution at NT (a proposal)

A-Dog

Reaction score
Hear me out:

So Dexter Lawrence, all 342 Pro Bowl pounds of him, apparently is holding out of off-season activities due to wanting a new contract - he’s currently set to play on his 5th year option.

The Seahawks currently don’t have a healthy NT/0-Tech, critical for the odd (3-4/Bear) fronts they want to play, on their roster.

The top of the draft is really cloudy right now. Is Will Anderson going to be there at 5? If he is, is he even that good? Is Tyree Wilson an scheme fit? Are Jalen Carter’s character flaws overblown? Are the Seahawks willing to pass up an impact “win now” player to take a QBotF?

Even if the answers to all of those are “yes,” that still doesn’t solve NT, which as of right now is the biggest hole on the team.

Lawrence will want a bag but he’ll only be 25 when the season starts and he hasn’t missed a game since entering the league. He’s the prototype space eater the Seahawks need, just had a career year, made 2nd team all pro, and is the rare 0-tech that can contribute against the pass (7.5 sacks last year).

PROPOSAL:
Seattle gets: Dexter Lawrence and pick #25 in round 1.

NY Giants get: Pick #5 in round 1.

Before you talk about cap space, just know that there are ways to make it work - cuts, restructures, extensions, void years. It won’t be an issue, plus the Hawks wouldn’t have to pay the #5 pick in the draft. For their part, the Giants are in worse cap shape than the Seahawks. This opens up $12M in cap for them instantly.

Why would the Giants do this?

The Giants top need right now is probably CB. This moves them right ahead of Detroit where they will likely have their choice of players in a strong class.

Lawrence would be a loss but the Giants still have Leonard Williams, plus they just signed Rakeem Nuñez-Roche’s at NT. Plus they’d now have the cap space to grab a replacement in FA. They also no longer have to deal with the headache of a star player holding out of camp.

Am I being ridiculous or does this kind of make sense?

Last edited:

Mick063

Reaction score
Bringing in Anthony Rush would have a much higher probability of happening. The staff knows him, and he is more affordable.

gmor

Reaction score
Hear me out:

So Dexter Lawrence, all 342 Pro Bowl pounds of him, apparently is holding out of off-season activities due to wanting a new contract - he’s currently set to play on his 5th year option.

It's a very creative idea. I'm thinking Seattle would want more in the way of draft choices.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
It's a very creative idea. I'm thinking Seattle would want more in the way of draft choices.
Perhaps Seattle gets the #90 overall pick from DAL in addition... their 3rd round draft pick.

JerHawk81

Reaction score
Simply put: We couldn't afford it. For the first time in recent memory, we are in the red on the salary cap, and need to find another 5-10M just to make it through the year. That's possible, but not easy or painless. We've already seen some of this pain in the form of Neal and Woods.

I can't get my head around us spending big on a new contract right now. Especially not us spending huge at NT when we just cut our starting NT to save ~3M (?) against the cap.

A neat idea. But a non-starter.

Own The West

Reaction score
I’m not against the idea. Just would need more the #5. Like Lawrence, 25, and NY’s 2024 1st.

toffee

Reaction score
Wouldn't pressure from NT a bonus? For a NT, commanding double team, and clogging up the middle running lane, would be more essential tasks, right?

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

A-Dog

Reaction score
I’m not against the idea. Just would need more the #5. Like Lawrence, 25, and NY’s 2024 1st.

I haven’t done the whole draft value chart thing to calculate the equivalent draft capital of moving up 20 spots but I wouldn’t expect them to give up two number ones and a pro bowl player. I think the trade comp is pretty close and if it needs adjusting it probably wouldn’t be to the magnitude of a whole extra #1 pick. They’d be moving up for a corner - likely the best corner, mind you - not a QB.

OP
OP
A

A-Dog

Reaction score
Wouldn't pressure from NT a bonus? For a NT that commanding double team, and clogging up the middle running lane, would be more essential tasks, right?

Absolutely. That’s why I don’t think Poona’s signed yet, he doesn’t provide much against the pass. 7.5 sacks is solid production even for a 3-tech (Dre’Mont Jones has never had more than 6.5 btw), much less a 342 pound monster at NT. I’m sure he could also play 5-Tech in the 4-3 Under as well. Calling him “just” a 0-tech isn’t really a fair.

12forlife

Reaction score
If we are gonna make a move like this I think we should reach out to Tampa Bay, and see if they are in rebuild? Maybe Vita Vea would like to come back out to the PNW?

morgulon1

Reaction score
Hear me out:

The Seahawks currently don’t have a healthy NT/0-Tech, critical for the odd (3-4/Bear) fronts they want to play, on their roster.

The top of the draft is really cloudy right now. Is Will Anderson going to be there at 5? If he is, is he even that good? Is Tyree Wilson an scheme fit? Are Jalen Carter’s character flaws overblown? Are the Seahawks willing to pass up an impact “win now” player to take a QBotF?

Even if the answers to all of those are “yes,” that still doesn’t solve NT, which as of right now is the biggest hole on the team.

Lawrence will want a bag but he’ll only be 25 when the season starts and he hasn’t missed a game since entering the league. He’s the prototype space eater the Seahawks need, just had a career year, made 2nd team all pro, and is the rare 0-tech that can contribute against the pass (7.5 sacks last year).

PROPOSAL:
Seattle gets: Dexter Lawrence and pick #25 in round 1.

NY Giants get: Pick #5 in round 1.

Before you talk about cap space, just know that there are ways to make it work - cuts, restructures, extensions, void years. It won’t be an issue, plus the Hawks wouldn’t have to pay the #5 pick in the draft. For their part, the Giants are in worse cap shape than the Seahawks. This opens up $12M in cap for them instantly.

Why would the Giants do this?

The Giants top need right now is probably CB. This moves them right ahead of Detroit where they will likely have their choice of players in a strong class.

Lawrence would be a loss but the Giants still have Leonard Williams, plus they just signed Rakeem Nuñez-Roche’s at NT. Plus they’d now have the cap space to grab a replacement in FA. They also no longer have to deal with the headache of a star player holding out of camp.

He might just be a headache for the next team that gets him. Or maybe a fresh start? It's a week or so before the draft and you were just thinking of ideas.

Cool

toffee

Reaction score
A 4-3 front of Jones - Jalen Carter - Dexter Lawrence - Reed, or a 3 - 4 of Jones - Dexter - Carter sure sounded promising.

Fade

Reaction score
It's not a terrible idea.

Taking on the heftier contract would drop the compensation down to a 2nd round pick, maybe #20 + a mid rounder.

Seattle's cap is fine and they have tons of flexibility due to not having very many long term deals on the books.

I think JS/PC are content with addressing the DL in the draft, and then exploring options in the summer if bolstering is still needed.