5 trophies in the past or 1 now?

Marvin49

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":35bsouuq said:
They are in a class of their own for sure. Take GB fans for example. The 96 season brought them to the kingdome. There were Packer fans everywhere. Not a one of them I heard mentioned anything about Super Bowls, nor anything about the Hawks having none. They practically invented the championship run and Super Bowl, the damn trophy is named after their hero coach. They took over the place and celebrated in complete fun. They were more about enjoying the success of their own team. Niner fans celebrate the demise of other teams, whether they are winning or not.

Historical greatness? Absolutely. I loved watching those old Niner teams, but there is not a chance I would trade the 2013 championship for five that happened 20 years ago. I remember the catch, the first SB wim against Cincinnati and all that. But man that was a long time ago. We are talking Reagan's first term.

I should add that if I was a Niner fan that I wouldnt give up the history for one now either. They have their history, we have ours. But if I was a young Niner fan that wasn't around for it I probably would.

While I was reading everything above the bolded I was thinking I was going to make the exact comment you made at the end there.

I think the difference is that while you may have experienced the Niner titles, you weren't a Niner fan. It's different.

As for younger fans, I can see how they might prefer a new one to the old one. I guess the difference is tho that if you saw these SB wins, they simply don't seem as old to me. '94 was 20 years ago but I remember the season and the game like it was yesterday. I remember signing Norton and Plummer to upgrade the LBs after losing back to back NFCCGs to the Cowboys. I remember drafting Stubblefield in 93 (with a pick from the Montana trade) and BY in 94. I remember signing Deion in week 3 or 4.

IE, I remember all of the details of those seasons. I wouldn't give them up. I'd love more of them, but I'm not willing to sacrifice the memories I already have.

If I didn't have them and they were just old grainy NFL Films footage, I might feel different.

Bob Loblaw

Reaction score
The great thing about the NFL is that its a What have you done lately league. I would never trade our 5 titles and Seahawks fans should always embrace the one they got. Its story to tell for the rest of time and enjoy. The fact is though now your Superbowl title is History, maybe recent history, but besides our rivalry, there are 30 other teams who could care less about what you did last year and are eager to forget it. You had 37 years of no titles and still remember and cherish all the great seasons and memories. Im not sure you would trade 37 years of your franchise for 1 year of the glory.

Largent80

Reaction score
I'm not saying that whatever the Hawks do from now on means nothing but after waiting 38 years, and then winning it the way we did, I am satisfied for my lifetime.

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
I think you have to win two trophies to be taken seriously amongst the NFL community. Too often people will see your team as a fluke until the 2nd arrives. Personally, I gain a lot more happiness in just getting the first than worrying about if the Niner fans really respect us (based on their vitriolic hatred of us on their board, trust me they do). Niner fans try and kid themselves and say it isn't a rivalry (they post that Dallas or Green Bay is a bigger one) but all you have to do is is read their latest thread "Can the Seahawks be dethroned" and you will see we have their total attention. Their opening game thread with Dallas isn't garnering near the spite. But as Earl Thomas says all the time "it isn't about them".

Giedi

Reaction score
seahawk12thman":207pc2b7 said:
I think you have to win two trophies to be taken seriously amongst the NFL community. Too often people will see your team as a fluke until the 2nd arrives. Personally, I gain a lot more happiness in just getting the first than worrying about if the Niner fans really respect us (based on their vitriolic hatred of us on their board, trust me they do). Niner fans try and kid themselves and say it isn't a rivalry (they post that Dallas or Green Bay is a bigger one) but all you have to do is is read their latest thread "Can the Seahawks be dethroned" and you will see we have their total attention. Their opening game thread with Dallas isn't garnering near the spite. But as Earl Thomas says all the time "it isn't about them".
It wouldn't be smart not to take the 'HAwks seriously. They are the reigning super bowl champs. Having said that, to a certain extent - super bowl memories fade to the background once the new season begins. Hawk fans deserve to enjoy their super bowl season in the off season sun, so to speak. Its that first loss, whether it be the first week or the 16th week is always a jarring reminder that however many super bowls a franchise has won, it's all now in the past - and past glory is no guarantee of a win next Sunday.

Marvin49

Reaction score
seahawk12thman":o5e4szin said:

RE: Rivalry

Well of course Seattle is the Niners biggest CURRENT rival. They just eliminated the Niners in the NFCCG and won the Super Bowl.

Peeps (like me) talk about the Pack and Cowboys as biggest rivals because we remember MULTIPLE playoff losses at the hands of those teams.

Its also probably generational. Younger Niner fans are going to see the Seahawks as the biggest rival ever. Seasoned Niner fans remember too many seasons end against Dallas, Green Bay, or the New York Giants. Seattle has ended their season once, but those other three have done it on multiple occasions.

That's why I love every single solitary second of the last 4 SF-GB matchups. :D

Peeps here seem to take us saying Seattle isn't our biggest rival as a lack or respect...an insult. I can only speak personally, but it ain't that at all. I just remember that sickening "the seasons over" feeling ALOT more in the past against those other teams.

Giedi

Reaction score
HansGruber":31uhmxy8 said:
I grew up with a father who was an Oakland Raiders fan. They mocked and ridiculed the Niners franchise and fans the way Whiner fans mocked us for no titles. They had no history in the late 70s and no fans.

When we would go visit my grandparents in San Francisco, my grandpa would take me to Niner games because the games were almost free, the crowds were light, and you could buy tickets at will call for just a few bucks. This was in the mid to late 70s. It was like going to Mariners games in the 80's. Nobody there except for some kids who got tickets for free, a couple hardcore fans, but no real following.

By that time, my mom (the Seahawk fan in the family) was already taking me to Seahawks games. It was a wildly different experience. The fans were loud and crazy already, and we had to buy season tickets because you couldn't get singles at the game.

I distinctly remember the difference. It's why I chose the Seahawks as my favorite team. I could cuss at the Seahawks game and nobody could hear me, scream at the top of my lungs and the grownups encouraged it! It was too quiet at the Niner games to do that, and we never got to go to raiders games because they were always sold out - this was during the peak of the madden era.

I laugh at niner fans who talk about tradition. They have less than Seattle. It's funny listening to them, and knowing from firsthand experience that they're talking out their butt about something they never actually experienced. EVERYONE who was around in the late-70's to see that Niners franchise remembers what a ghost town Candlestick was.

Oh and funny aside - my grandpa used to always call Candlestick Park, "Raiders Stadium". LOL. He'd been a Raiders fan back in the 60's when the Raiders played in Candlestick and just always considered it the Raiders stadium.
The raiders, now that's another storied bay area franchise that arguably has an even better history than either the 49ers or the 'Hawks. They lost their first super bowl like the 'Hawks but 10 years later, won their first. The only thing is that I think they did this a lot sooner in their franchise history than either the 49ers or the 'Hawks.

That's a total of 8 super bowl trophies for the agnostic bay area resident that doesn't care for either team. :thirishdrinkers: I think the links to both teams (Raiders and 49ers) are as significant and storied as the links between the 49ers and the 'Hawks.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I wouldn't even want the Niners to NOT have their 5. Especially the first four. It was a unique time for football fans that remember the. Niners before they were good. I migrated north from Cali to Oregon and to Washington from the 70s and 80s. The Oregon coverage of the NFL was all Niners and Raiders before the Hawks' inception and the Niners just stunk. It was truly enjoyable to see them rise to what they did and maintain it the way they did. Just a bit of history that I would certainly never change.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2qgt10xa said:
loafoftatupu":2qgt10xa said:
Brahn":2qgt10xa said:
Always the victim.

"Your Honor if they wouldn't of stood in front of my handgun when I pointed it at them none of this would of ever happened."
-Always The Victim guy

It's "wouldn't have". Right iRo..?
Right. <3

Naw.....None of this would have ....

Double negative....he he he :mrgreen:

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2xcqmset said:
Seahawkfan80":2xcqmset said:
Naw.....None of this would have ....

Double negative....he he he :mrgreen:
Actually, your ellipsis separates "Naw" from "None", therefore it's not a double negative.

:D

:p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p

HansGruber

Reaction score
lvnginhwktwn":1ixtehjm said:
That first one always seems to have more meaning, but in the case of true long time Hawk fans I think this was particularly meaningful because it should have been #2.

Nah. The Seahawks lost XL. Sure it was painful to watch the refs interfere with the game, but it was Hasselbeck who threw that pick right after the costly bad holding call that brought back the Stevens catch on the 1. In typical Hass fashion, he tried to force something and threw into double coverage. And he was visibly defeated by that point.

I was there and saw that team quit in the fourth when it was still a game. And yes that hurt but it was what it was. The Seahawks quit. They were beaten by a team that competed all the way to the last whistle. The Steelers played hard and deserved the win, even if it was partially due to their being able to capitalize on key errors by the refs.

Agreed that SB48 was perhaps the most glorious possible way to wash that bad taste out of our mouths forever, though. Literally brought me to tears of joy... and quite a memorable drinking binge.

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
Marvin49":19lixpfo said:
seahawk12thman":19lixpfo said:

RE: Rivalry

Well of course Seattle is the Niners biggest CURRENT rival. They just eliminated the Niners in the NFCCG and won the Super Bowl.

Peeps (like me) talk about the Pack and Cowboys as biggest rivals because we remember MULTIPLE playoff losses at the hands of those teams.

Its also probably generational. Younger Niner fans are going to see the Seahawks as the biggest rival ever. Seasoned Niner fans remember too many seasons end against Dallas, Green Bay, or the New York Giants. Seattle has ended their season once, but those other three have done it on multiple occasions.

That's why I love every single solitary second of the last 4 SF-GB matchups. :D

Peeps here seem to take us saying Seattle isn't our biggest rival as a lack or respect...an insult. I can only speak personally, but it ain't that at all. I just remember that sickening "the seasons over" feeling ALOT more in the past against those other teams.

Really? We have been knocked out twice by the Packers and Bears and I don't give a crap about either teams. We have knocked out the Redskins 3 times and the Saints but do their fans really hate the Seahawks for it? If Carolina or San Francisco would have beat us in the NFCCG then that would draw some anger but losing in the opening rounds just means we weren't good enough to win it all anyway. Finally the 2nd time we played the Bears we knocked the defending Super Bowl champ Saints team out with a 7-9 record so for me, any win after that was euphoria.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Redskin fans detest the Seahawks by and large. Just saying.

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2ui6kf50 said:

I thought that was more about their view of us mocking the death of Sean Taylor??

Scottemojo

Reaction score
seahawk12thman":1yly2ui7 said:
Scottemojo":1yly2ui7 said:

I thought that was more about their view of us mocking the death of Sean Taylor??
The three playoff exits are a big deal to them too.

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3v7g5195 said:
seahawk12thman":3v7g5195 said:
Scottemojo":3v7g5195 said:

The three playoff exits are a big deal to them too.

You hate the Packers and Bears?

HansGruber

Reaction score
seahawk12thman":iam1j12j said:
Scottemojo":iam1j12j said:

Sean Taylor is an excuse they use to channel their extreme anger about getting punked 3 times in the last decade by the Seahawks. If they had won even one of those games, that would never be an issue.

Largent80

Reaction score
It is an 80 degree day on the Santa Monica Blvd. and some poor fat slob 49er fan has the misfortune of having me see him. I'm on my freshly detailed motorcycle with a lime green (2009) vintage jersey with 69 on the front and Dick Gozinya on the back.

I power on over to the curb because basement boy is waitin for the bus.

I say, well, you just don't get it do ya?

This happened today........ He just got this drool coming out the side of his mouth, and I mean, it looked like an English Mastiff on a HOT day, it was long and pretty gross. So, I decided I would let him know of what I think of my team.

GO SEAHAWKS !!!!!!!! at the top of my lungs, then revved er up and peeled out laughing hysterically.

HansGruber

Reaction score
Largent80":222fry2y said:
It is an 80 degree day on the Santa Monica Blvd. and some poor fat slob 49er fan has the misfortune of having me see him. I'm on my freshly detailed motorcycle with a lime green (2009) vintage jersey with 69 on the front and Dick Gozinya on the back.

I power on over to the curb because basement boy is waitin for the bus.

I say, well, you just don't get it do ya?

This happened today........ He just got this drool coming out the side of his mouth, and I mean, it looked like an English Mastiff on a HOT day, it was long and pretty gross. So, I decided I would let him know of what I think of my team.

GO SEAHAWKS !!!!!!!! at the top of my lungs, then revved er up and peeled out laughing hysterically.

I need that jersey. CLASSIC!