5 trophies in the past or 1 now?

chris98251

Reaction score
History does matter, what makes you appreciate the present more than the history to get there, The Patera years and inception, the Knox years where we were the quickest franchise to win and challenge the big boys, Steve Largent and Jim Zorn, Dave Kreig, Kenny Easley, Tez. The Erickson Flores,Behring years that made us so appreciative of Mike Holmgren and those years of winning a Super Bowl appearance, Jim Mora and then Pete Carroll and John Schneider re inventing us seemingly overnight and winning a Super Bowl with a Short QB that was a draft afterthought on other teams and a bunch of no name guys and cast offs on defense that now have become household names and feared around the league.

The quote from Kennedy about going to the moon comes to mind, we don't do it because its easy, we do it because it is hard.

sc85sis

Reaction score
The primary issue I have with this line of thinking is that it seems defeatist. Yes, it's really, really, REALLY hard to win a Super Bowl. But you should never go into a season assuming that it won't happen, and that you need to trade your past successes away in order to have a chance at success now.

Enjoy what you have. Hope for the best going forward, and work hard to achieve those dreams. Then roll with the punches.

Brahn

Reaction score
soje":1wdlxdke said:
Marvin49":1wdlxdke said:
Cry me a river.

I'm a Niner fan on a Seahawks board.

If you make a comment about something ludicrous, I'm going to say it's ludicrous. Seriously dude...thicker skin. What peeps have said to you in this forum is NOTHING compared to what they say to me on a daily basis. Its all in fun.

Bottom line? Chill.

Believe me, in my line of work you need thick skin.

I don't write emails or post things on message boards unless I'd be perfectly comfortable saying the same things in person. Maybe you were not trying to patronize me, but it sure seemed like that to me. My apologies if I came across a little confrontational. I'm all about accepting other people's opinions, no matter how ludicrous they seem. I'm not in their skin, so I don't know how they feel.

Always the victim.

"Your Honor if they wouldn't of stood in front of my handgun when I pointed it at them none of this would of ever happened."
-Always The Victim guy

Bobblehead

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":28vwsob9 said:
I would not trade five in the past for one now.

History matters. Not quite as much as 49ers fans think it does, but it matters nonetheless.

I believe before Montana, they had sucked for a long time.
I"m digging way back into my brain, which is not all it once once though ;)

RedAlice

Reaction score
Marvin49":33th0ft0 said:
RedAlice":33th0ft0 said:
Many of the Niner fans who post have been fans for a long time and did experience the SB wins. They are used to a rich tradition of their team as the elite among the 32, and fully expect them to reclaim that status now. So do many Raider fans.

The idea of a team with only one win being proud, who was never good before, seems to have less value to them.

Their idea is that IF they win again, that is Six. They continue on the tradition of being elite.

In 1982 when Niners won their first "chip" - Steelers already had 4, and Raiders had 2. Raiders won their 3rd before Niners got their second.

I doubt many old time Niner fans correlate 1982 first SB win to the euphoria of Hawk fans getting their first. Prolly the Steeler fans woulda been as arrogant to them as Niner fans are to you, if boards like this existed then.

Since Niner wins are so long ago, I would think any young Niner fan wishes for a win now. Not one in history.

Agreed.

I happen to be old enough to remember all of them (tho was only 8 when they won their first) and wouldn't give up a single one of them for another. To be honest I think it's lunacy to suggest any one would be better than getting another let alone all 5.

Do the 5 Lombardi's matter a damn today? From a football perspective, very little. The only time they make a difference is when you bring in free agents and show them the trophy case. Outside of that, it doesn't mean much.

Do I want a 6th? Damn skippy...but there is no way I would ever give up a single one of them for another. BTW...it was in 82 as you mentioned, but it was actually the 81 season that they won their first. I remember that game as a kid. I remember my dad crying because they had finally won one. I remember playing Dan Marino and that unstoppable offense in the 84 season at Stanford. I remember John Taylor making that catch at the backline of the endzone to beat the Bengals in 88 with 34 seconds left. I remember Jerry Rice being pissed because he didn't get the Disneyland Commercial even though he was over 200 yards and the MVP. I remember the complete dismantling of the Broncos in 89.

I have never been a "we have 5 rings" braggart in conversations on .net or anywhere else because they have little bearing on what is happening now, but those Championships are a part of the 49er history that I witnessed and would never, ever give them up.

That was an egaging read. Marvin, here or on Niner board - you are a true football fan in the way that is probably why we all just love the game: it's a great game. And you are correct, I've never seen you post anything re: 5 rings being better, etc.

You explained in a way I was trying to: the experience of winning one is incredible. I have only had it happen one time. The Hawk fans have it happening right now. It is what you long for as a fan, and the having it is a eurphoria.

The fact that you experienced the wins is probably why you don't go around having to say the Niners have 5. I expect there is some smile of recognition in what the Hawk fans are feeling this off season.

chris98251

Reaction score
Bobblehead":39l9ryl3 said:
RolandDeschain":39l9ryl3 said:

History matters. Not quite as much as 49ers fans think it does, but it matters nonetheless.

They had some great players, remember Steve Deberg was the QB when Montana took over, but John Brodie, Gene Washington, Hugh McElhenny ex UW player were a few of the greats of the Franchise.

They had the Rams that were as dominant as a team as there was back then who by happenstance came from yes Cleveland. Fearsome Foursome kept the 49ers in the Shadows for a long time.

They took about 40 years to get their first Championship, not so different from us really. They honor the 5 because of the time it took to get there, Steelers can claim the same type situation, they were in fact the franchise of futility for a long long time until the 70's.

So history means something, they years of being mocked and disrespected etc as you live and grow with a team and age as a person with the hopes you get a chance to bask in the glow of being a lifelong fan and it meaning something for your investment of time, emotion and hope.

DHawk

Reaction score
Wait...

We won a Lombardy?!?!?!

Oh my god! YESSSSSSS!!!!!

...this is good, yes?

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Bobblehead":3pmldqkb said:
RolandDeschain":3pmldqkb said:

They were pretty good from the mid to later 60s to the mid 70s if memory serves. John Brodie at QB. Also they were good in the 50s with Y.A. Tittle at QB. Still, no championships until Montana.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
I wouldn't trade anything for the experience of the past year. After the Atlanta game, I knew we were going to be a good team. After the Harvin trade, Avril/Bennett signing I knew we were going to be a great team. All off season I kept repeating to everyone at work that 2013 was the Hawks year. They all scoffed at me and called me a homer, but I just had this feeling deep down. When I saw the comeback against Houston, I knew this team was on a mission. Again after the TB game I just knew that this team wasn't going to lose in the playoffs.

Once we started the playoffs and getting to watch the Hawks beat NO in a relatively easy manner, furthered my confidence. I'll admit I started to waiver when the Niners went up 10-0, but I felt if we could keep it that close we had a chance. After The Tip I started running around jumping in my living room and woke up my 2 year old. Initially when everyone was slobbering all over Denver I started to wonder if maybe they were just that good. I listened to a lot of the Hawks interviews though and I knew they were ready. Then when I heard Deion interview Lynch, I made up my mind that it was going to be a beating.

The entire Superbowl was a nirvana like state for me. It was too good to be true. By the time Harvin scored to open the 2nd half I was just laughing. The best part was the call immediately after the game from my dad (I live in Idaho, he's in Auburn) and I couldn't hear anything but people screaming. I don't know if he was even trying to talk to me, all I could hear was a bunch of people screaming in the background. I think the game ended around 8pm my time and I couldn't go to sleep by midnight still. For weeks afterward while driving I would just randomly yell in my car SUPERBOWL CHAMPS! A few weeks later my 2nd son was born and I somehow convinced my wife to make his middle name Wilson.

I wouldn't trade that for anything. I may not have been alive in 76, but I've suffered through 30 years of Seattle sports suffering. Up until this point my best sports memory had been the 95 M's playoff run or maybe the mid 90's Sonics teams. To me, that 1 is worth more than all of those 5 put together.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Brahn":1rsppb5v said:
Always the victim.

"Your Honor if they wouldn't of stood in front of my handgun when I pointed it at them none of this would of ever happened."
-Always The Victim guy

It's "wouldn't have". Right iRo..?

Marvin49

Reaction score
RedAlice":4j43g8s9 said:
Marvin49":4j43g8s9 said:
RedAlice":4j43g8s9 said:
Many of the Niner fans who post have been fans for a long time and did experience the SB wins. They are used to a rich tradition of their team as the elite among the 32, and fully expect them to reclaim that status now. So do many Raider fans.

The idea of a team with only one win being proud, who was never good before, seems to have less value to them.

Their idea is that IF they win again, that is Six. They continue on the tradition of being elite.

In 1982 when Niners won their first "chip" - Steelers already had 4, and Raiders had 2. Raiders won their 3rd before Niners got their second.

I doubt many old time Niner fans correlate 1982 first SB win to the euphoria of Hawk fans getting their first. Prolly the Steeler fans woulda been as arrogant to them as Niner fans are to you, if boards like this existed then.

Since Niner wins are so long ago, I would think any young Niner fan wishes for a win now. Not one in history.

Agreed.

I happen to be old enough to remember all of them (tho was only 8 when they won their first) and wouldn't give up a single one of them for another. To be honest I think it's lunacy to suggest any one would be better than getting another let alone all 5.

Do the 5 Lombardi's matter a damn today? From a football perspective, very little. The only time they make a difference is when you bring in free agents and show them the trophy case. Outside of that, it doesn't mean much.

Do I want a 6th? Damn skippy...but there is no way I would ever give up a single one of them for another. BTW...it was in 82 as you mentioned, but it was actually the 81 season that they won their first. I remember that game as a kid. I remember my dad crying because they had finally won one. I remember playing Dan Marino and that unstoppable offense in the 84 season at Stanford. I remember John Taylor making that catch at the backline of the endzone to beat the Bengals in 88 with 34 seconds left. I remember Jerry Rice being pissed because he didn't get the Disneyland Commercial even though he was over 200 yards and the MVP. I remember the complete dismantling of the Broncos in 89.

I have never been a "we have 5 rings" braggart in conversations on .net or anywhere else because they have little bearing on what is happening now, but those Championships are a part of the 49er history that I witnessed and would never, ever give them up.

That was an egaging read. Marvin, here or on Niner board - you are a true football fan in the way that is probably why we all just love the game: it's a great game. And you are correct, I've never seen you post anything re: 5 rings being better, etc.

You explained in a way I was trying to: the experience of winning one is incredible. I have only had it happen one time. The Hawk fans have it happening right now. It is what you long for as a fan, and the having it is a eurphoria.

The fact that you experienced the wins is probably why you don't go around having to say the Niners have 5. I expect there is some smile of recognition in what the Hawk fans are feeling this off season.

Absolutely. That's why I was on here right after the NFCCG and as soon as I could after the SB to offer Gratz. All SBs are great, but there is nothing like finally breaking through for that first one.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
soje":33y3b10e said:
loafoftatupu":33y3b10e said:
A Niner related thread about Super Bowls started by a member with under 10 posts.

I'm not saying anything... just saying.

Who cares?

I'm sorry, what is the number of posts one needs in order to start a thread related to the Niners in this board?

What is it you are sorry for? I was simply pointing out some variables.

I was old enough to remember all the Niner Super Bowls and I remember when they SUCKED before that. I would never trade the reality of the path it took to get the one for 5 that happened as far back as 20-33 years ago. There are a lot of things that happened that far back and very little of it means anything to me. No way would I give up now to be able to say that the Hawks won in the 80's. That's ridiculous.

HansGruber

Reaction score
I grew up with a father who was an Oakland Raiders fan. They mocked and ridiculed the Niners franchise and fans the way Whiner fans mocked us for no titles. They had no history in the late 70s and no fans.

When we would go visit my grandparents in San Francisco, my grandpa would take me to Niner games because the games were almost free, the crowds were light, and you could buy tickets at will call for just a few bucks. This was in the mid to late 70s. It was like going to Mariners games in the 80's. Nobody there except for some kids who got tickets for free, a couple hardcore fans, but no real following.

By that time, my mom (the Seahawk fan in the family) was already taking me to Seahawks games. It was a wildly different experience. The fans were loud and crazy already, and we had to buy season tickets because you couldn't get singles at the game.

I distinctly remember the difference. It's why I chose the Seahawks as my favorite team. I could cuss at the Seahawks game and nobody could hear me, scream at the top of my lungs and the grownups encouraged it! It was too quiet at the Niner games to do that, and we never got to go to raiders games because they were always sold out - this was during the peak of the madden era.

I laugh at niner fans who talk about tradition. They have less than Seattle. It's funny listening to them, and knowing from firsthand experience that they're talking out their butt about something they never actually experienced. EVERYONE who was around in the late-70's to see that Niners franchise remembers what a ghost town Candlestick was.

Oh and funny aside - my grandpa used to always call Candlestick Park, "Raiders Stadium". LOL. He'd been a Raiders fan back in the 60's when the Raiders played in Candlestick and just always considered it the Raiders stadium.

TAB420

Reaction score
I wouldn't trade this one for anything. I got to share it with my wife, who had became a huge hawks with within the last 5 years ,and my son who turned 14 on February 4th, and the only thing that he ask for his birthday was a SB victory. Sharing that long waited SB victory with my family made it better then I imagined it could be. I wouldn't trade 10 championships at a much younger age compared to the one I got to share with my son...But that's just how I feel.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
They are in a class of their own for sure. Take GB fans for example. The 96 season brought them to the kingdome. There were Packer fans everywhere. Not a one of them I heard mentioned anything about Super Bowls, nor anything about the Hawks having none. They practically invented the championship run and Super Bowl, the damn trophy is named after their hero coach. They took over the place and celebrated in complete fun. They were more about enjoying the success of their own team. Niner fans celebrate the demise of other teams, whether they are winning or not.

Historical greatness? Absolutely. I loved watching those old Niner teams, but there is not a chance I would trade the 2013 championship for five that happened 20 years ago. I remember the catch, the first SB wim against Cincinnati and all that. But man that was a long time ago. We are talking Reagan's first term.

I should add that if I was a Niner fan that I wouldnt give up the history for one now either. They have their history, we have ours. But if I was a young Niner fan that wasn't around for it I probably would.

themunn

Reaction score
Rather than compare the Seahawks and Niners a better question right now is would you trade the Browns' history and current situation for the Seahawks' history and current situation.

Don't forget that although the Browns don't have any Superbowls, they have 8 championships including 4 NFL championships.

Would you trade that?

Being around to witness a Championship over having the history of winning 1 any day. If you seen all 5 of the Niners wins of course you wouldn't trade that, but if you only started watching football in 02 or 03 (like I did), there's no reason to care about those 5. This 1 right now is the one that matters to me

Throwdown

Reaction score
Seattle fans of all people should be more about history than a normal sports fan of any city. We constantly get our NBA history linked to some team in the middle of America and that ish hurts every time I see it.

I wouldn't trade our 1 for their 5, nope, not in a billion years with a gun held to my head. I experienced that lone Super Bowl on my 26th birthday with my friends and family around. I left the living room with tears welling up in my eyes to go into my bedroom and finish out the games crying tears of joy. That joy of which that I was really doubting I'd ever feel in my lifetime, and that does happen to folks, some folks will never feel that joy. So no, I want my history even if its just one Lombardi Trophy.

lvnginhwktwn

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":2u5125em said:
They are in a class of their own for sure. Take GB fans for example. The 96 season brought them to the kingdome. There were Packer fans everywhere. Not a one of them I heard mentioned anything about Super Bowls, nor anything about the Hawks having none. They practically invented the championship run and Super Bowl, the damn trophy is named after their hero coach. They took over the place and celebrated in complete fun. They were more about enjoying the success of their own team. Niner fans celebrate the demise of other teams, whether they are winning or not.

Historical greatness? Absolutely. I loved watching those old Niner teams, but there is not a chance I would trade the 2013 championship for five that happened 20 years ago. I remember the catch, the first SB wim against Cincinnati and all that. But man that was a long time ago. We are talking Reagan's first term.

I should add that if I was a Niner fan that I wouldnt give up the history for one now either. They have their history, we have ours. But if I was a young Niner fan that wasn't around for it I probably would.

Since I am old enough to have experienced all 5, I wouldn't trade for the one. Now like loaf said if I were a young 49er fan I probably would so I could experience it for myself rather than hear about it.

That first one always seems to have more meaning, but in the case of true long time Hawk fans I think this was particularly meaningful because it should have been #2.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
lvnginhwktwn":15buqogo said:
That first one always seems to have more meaning, but in the case of true long time Hawk fans I think this was particularly meaningful because it should have been #2.
Don't remind us. :|

There's obviously no such thing as karma, because Bill Leavy is still an official, and still breathing, for that matter.