4th quarter philosophy

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
I have been giving this whole 4th quarter philosophy a great deal of thought. The objective is to win the game. Stats be damned. If you use that metric then Pete is damn good in this regard. Until last week we had won 41 (I think) games in a row if we were up by more than 4 at halftime (please correct me if my number is wrong). The results can not be argued. He wins. The problem is that we don’t like the way he does it. People say he takes his foot off the gas or prevent D only prevents you from winning games. Not true. The numbers again prove it. I agree that I can’t stand to watch a team we are dominating get a bunch of trash scores late in the game and make things closer than we would like. Buuuuuut the objective is to win. The best chance to win is hold onto the ball (no turnovers) and make the other team play flawlessly. More often than not we get a stop on D or some first downs to run out the clock. It's a numbers game and the safest route to victory. While I don’t like it either the results can’t be denied and IIMHO there is nothing to “fix”. It is the strategy of how plays the game. Plus with Russ at the helm I feel this strategy is even more effective.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
After today, in the Pete Carroll era, we are 59-1 when leading by 4 or more at the half.

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
My only gripe with this style of winning is that I finally kicked the ass of the demon that is Xanax a few months ago and I am trying to stay clean.
But yeah, I always understood his method. But there's a reason why most sane humans don't go skydiving every weekend.

John63

Reaction score
Year of The Hawk":2xhhq1mj said:
I have been giving this whole 4th quarter philosophy a great deal of thought. The objective is to win the game. Stats be damned. If you use that metric then Pete is damn good in this regard. Until last week we had won 41 (I think) games in a row if we were up by more than 4 at halftime (please correct me if my number is wrong). The results can not be argued. He wins. The problem is that we don’t like the way he does it. People say he takes his foot off the gas or prevent D only prevents you from winning games. Not true. The numbers again prove it. I agree that I can’t stand to watch a team we are dominating get a bunch of trash scores late in the game and make things closer than we would like. Buuuuuut the objective is to win. The best chance to win is hold onto the ball (no turnovers) and make the other team play flawlessly. More often than not we get a stop on D or some first downs to run out the clock. It's a numbers game and the safest route to victory. While I don’t like it either the results can’t be denied and IIMHO there is nothing to “fix”. It is the strategy of how plays the game. Plus with Russ at the helm I feel this strategy is even more effective.

Ahh you realize he has only been good at this since 2012 right. Prior not so good

Reaction score
It's never fun to watch but it's certainly effective at fulfilling the objective, which is to win games.

I thought the defence played a lot better today, so the only disappointment is that all those yards late on spoiled what would have been a nicer looking stats sheet. I'm sure the players aren't bothered and us fans shouldn't be either, but it would have been good to see the defence get some praise in the media but that probably won't happen now.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Our 4th quarter defense this week gave up some room in the middle of the field in order to eliminate the sidelines. That very successfully burned a bunch of clock. If anybody is actually complaining about that then should really look at the win probability graph from today, but I'd hope that most everybody here gets it.

Techhead13

Reaction score
Don’t use reason and logic on this board. It’s highly frowned upon. Be emotional and pessimistic if you want to fit in.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Meh, Hawks were in control of this game all day once they got past a couple bad series' to start it.
When they went back up 17 in the 4th, that game was DONE. No way in hell they score 3 times AND get two onside kick recoveries. I'm not trying to argue, it's just plain math. That game was done.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
John63":3b43mtou said:
Year of The Hawk":3b43mtou said:

Ahh you realize he has only been good at this since 2012 right. Prior not so good

Those national championships he won in the early 2000's were clearly a mirage.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Pete has only been a good coach since 2012???
Just when you thought you heard it all (relax, it's a joke)

Ozzy

Reaction score
It is fair to wonder if its the system or if Russ covers up a lot of holes in the process. It probably lies somewhere in the middle although I'm in the Russ camp. You have possibly the best QB in the history of the league in late game situations and high pressure moments. That certainly helps. Either way I'll take 59-1 regardless of how we got there and if I'm right and it has more to do with Russ I'm good as he will be around a lot longer.

themunn

Reaction score
John63":250kv9zy said:

Pete has been a good coach every year he's been here.
Unlike someone like say Belichick who is clearly showing that his success has been entirely predicated by the quality of his QB. Belichick record with Brady 224-66, without Brady 51-66.

Carroll record with Russell Wilson 90-74, without Wilson 47-49.

And if that doesn't show you that Carroll is CLEARLY a better coach than Belichick, how about the fact that Belichick took over Carroll's 8-8 Patriots and took them to a 5-11 record. At least when Carroll took over the Seahawks we'd had back to back 4-12 5-11 seasons and he not only won the division but then a playoff game in his first season.

Clearly Belichick's success will now only be limited to the period 2001-2019, the period where Tom Brady was his QB. The only year in that period where Belichick missed the playoffs? The year Tom Brady was injured.

Clearly Belichick is not a good coach and his coaching philosophy leaves a lot to be desired. Without Brady he's nothing. That's the argument you're trying to make about Carroll right? Because it's the exact same situation.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
Techhead13":2fe3ddwv said:
Don’t use reason and logic on this board. It’s highly frowned upon. Be emotional and pessimistic if you want to fit in.
BINGO

Latest posts