$30.7 million in cap space next year per Clayton

pmedic920

Reaction score
Hawknballs":n4rklvgi said:
remember these precious seasons because some day when pete and john are gone and we go back to having average or suckass decision makers at the top we can't have any faith in, we can at least look back and know for a time we had the best FO and coaching staff in the league without even exaggerating or being 'homers'.

Hopefully their replacements are already in the organization, and currently in training. :)

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Seaswab":2me4m9mp said:
Seahawk Sailor":2me4m9mp said:
Seaswab":2me4m9mp said:
This also doesnt factor in any rollover from this year, which right now would be about another $10 mil

Are you sure about that? $40 million in cap space next year with paying out some big time contracts like we have seems just a bit high.

http://www.overthecap.com

Interesting analysis. I didn't see that $10 million rollover anywhere though. Maybe I'm just not seeing it.

They will lose about $5 million to draft picks next year leaving them with $114 million in cap charges for the full roster. That should be enough room to get things done with QB Russell Wilson, who stands to make a fortune from the Seahawks if they continue to be a playoff team, and LT Russell Okung provided that the cap jumps to the $140 million range.

To me, that's about $26 million in cap space, with rookies signed, but without any big name free agents signed. Even with $10 million rollover from this year, that would be only $36 million. Enough, I think, but nowhere near the more optimistic numbers I'm seeing.

Jville

Reaction score
Hawknballs":1z3nv7kb said:
remember these precious seasons because some day when pete and john are gone and we go back to having average or suckass decision makers at the top we can't have any faith in, we can at least look back and know for a time we had the best FO and coaching staff in the league without even exaggerating or being 'homers'.

That depicts such a frightening future. The mental image of a bunch of fans hanging out on a forum collectively attempting to polish a tarnished ring is more than I can stand to dwell on.

I would think it would qualify as a candidate for the most awful visualization of the century.

May seahawks.net never succumb to that.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Overthecap.com's projection of the Seahawks 2015 Salary Cap:
http://overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team= ... &Year=2015

Offensive Spending: 19 Players ($47,650,397)
Defensive Spending: 24 Players ($56,200,411)
Specials Spending: 3 Players ($5,335,000)
Total Spending: 46 players ($109 million)

If the cap rises to $140 million in 2015, then they would have $31 million available + rollover from this year (currently $10.7 million) + savings from cut players - whatever other signings they do (draftees, free agents, extensions for current players).

The downside is they have a large number of players in their two deep who will be free agents in 2015 if not extended.

kidhawk

Reaction score
hawknation2014":ofzk29ne said:

If the cap rises to $140 million in 2015, then they would have $31 million available + rollover from this year (currently $10.7 million) + savings from cut players - whatever other signings they do (draftees, free agents, extensions for current players).

The downside is they have a large number of players in their two deep who will be free agents in 2015 if not extended.

Figuring there's 5 players short of the 51 they count, you can knock off about another $3 -$4 million or so, figuring the top draft picks likely will still be here and on that list next season

OP
OP
S

Seahawker86

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2m1oqz3u said:
Ziggyy108":2m1oqz3u said:
Plus we can get even more cap space by cutting or renegotiating with Beast.

Will be surprised if Marshawn is a Seahawk in 2015.

Go say that to his face.

Honestly this is blasphemy at its finest

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
kidhawk":2pzo2gsg said:
hawknation2014":2pzo2gsg said:

Figuring there's 5 players short of the 51 they count, you can knock off about another $3 -$4 million or so, figuring the top draft picks likely will still be here and on that list next season

And that's where my $26 million cap space number comes from. I added $5 million for the extra 7 players, as that's a generally accepted round number for future draft pick salaries. 140 - (109 + 5) = 26.

OP
OP
S

Seahawker86

Reaction score
hawknation2014":1l57l1ix said:
2015 free agents (obviously, some of these guys will not make the roster):
WR Doug Baldwin
WR Jermaine Kearse

WR Sidney Rice
WR Ricardo Lockette
WR Taylor Price
WR Bryan Walters
TE Anthony McCoy
G James Carpenter
G Greg Van Roten
G Steve Schilling
C Lemuel Jeanpierre
QB Tarvaris Jackson
QB Terrelle Pryor
OLB K.J. Wright
OLB Malcolm Smith

OLB Mike Morgan
ILB Heath Farwell
DE/OLB O'Brien Schofield
DE Cliff Avril
DT D'Anthony Smith
CB Byron Maxwell
CB Phillip Adams
FS Deshawn Shead
SS Jeron Johnson
LS Clint Gresham
+ Russell Wilson's extension

Three guys we must resign from that list. KJ wright, cliff Avril, and Byron Maxwell. I left Baldwin out BC news is surfacing his contract extension is already in the works. If we can get three year deals out of these guys you can bank we will be in muple NFC championship games BC it keeps the core together besides Bobby Wagner. Will it happen? I'm not sure.

What we need to realize is that this year and next year, like any year, we are going to draft the next Richard Sherman, the next Kam Chancellor, the next highly underrated rookie who will push quality starting guys out of their positions and become very productive starts. History with this regime proves that will happen each year. I don't see that stopping. He might even be on our team already. Only time will tell. I have total trust in JS. I live being a seahawks fan. I hope this is the norm for the next few years .

hawknation2014

Reaction score
kthebestwayw":bk4mhbd0 said:
Hasselbeck":bk4mhbd0 said:
Ziggyy108":bk4mhbd0 said:

Go say that to his face.

It's the $2 million roster bonus that he's due in the final year of his contract that people are concerned about. When you see that in contracts for 29 year old running backs, it usually spells the end. They would save $7.5 million by cutting him outright. Do I think that will happen? No, I don't.

Marshawn is too valuable; he just grinded his way to a Super Bowl behind a beat up offensive line. Even if his production dips in the next two years, they will likely find a way to make it work or restructure his contract with an extension.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
hawknation2014":brokv27y said:
kthebestwayw":brokv27y said:
Hasselbeck":brokv27y said:
Ziggyy108":brokv27y said:

Go say that to his face.

It's the $2 million roster bonus that he's due in the final year of his contract that people are concerned about. When you see that in contracts for 29 year old running backs, it usually spells the end. They would save $7.5 million by cutting him outright. Do I think that will happen? No, I don't.

Marshawn is too valuable; he just grinded his way to a Super Bowl behind a beat up offensive line. Even if his production dips in the next two years, they will likely find a way to make it work or restructure his contract with an extension.

Marshawn was hinting at retirement right after the Super Bowl. There's a chance he'll just retire gracefully after this year. And if not, as Michael, his heir apparent, will likely be poised to take the lion's share of snaps, Marshawn may decide to restructure and cut his number of plays on the field if he decides he's not ready to hang 'em up yet.

There is a lot that can happen to save that money besides outright cutting him.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Either way, that is a lot more than I thought we would have. Hopefully John and Pete can make it work.

joeshaney

Reaction score
Sounds good, but not great.
We will have a lot of free agents to resign AND Wilson will take more than half of that. If we can draft well (at LEAST 2 starters, preferably 3/4) we will be set.

Adding a RT/LG and either a WR/LB/DE/CB/S would set us up prepare for the loss of linebackers, maxwell, Avril, etc..

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Our Man in Chicago":2s22jrds said:
Avril is going to be very hard to keep.

So will K.J. Wright and Byron Maxwell. Those three will be in HIGH demand if they hit free agency.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":2j2do9l7 said:
kidhawk":2j2do9l7 said:
hawknation2014":2j2do9l7 said:

And that's where my $26 million cap space number comes from. I added $5 million for the extra 7 players, as that's a generally accepted round number for future draft pick salaries. 140 - (109 + 5) = 26.
They are going to crap themselves on the webzone when they hear this. They are banking their team's future on a future cap disaster by Seattle!!!! Silly whiner fans! :lol:

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Our Man in Chicago":10tja32g said:
Avril is going to be very hard to keep.
I respectfully disagree. I think besides Wilson he needs to be a priority for 2015. He wants to be here. Might lose a LB'er or 2, but IMHO they are easier to find then a guy like Avril.

SeahawksRawk

Reaction score
Jville":1rxqlhks said:
Hawknballs":1rxqlhks said:

That depicts such a frightening future. The mental image of a bunch of fans hanging out on a forum collectively attempting to polish a tarnished ring is more than I can stand to dwell on.

I would think it would qualify as a candidate for the most awful visualization of the century.

May seahawks.net never succumb to that.

Yeah just say no to becoming the webzone!

Latest posts