Tha Monstar Will Not be Outworked

vin.couve12

Reaction score
I like him. Has upside to be a Red Bryant type. Won't be much of a pass rusher and I do have some concerns about those chicken legs and knees. He's very, very top heavy, but can still be a good 3 and 5 tech on run downs again a la Big Red. And much like Red, I don't like him at 1 tech. His legs aren't as long as Red's, but they're skinny and contrary to popular belief I don't really like him at 1 tech/NT.

People see 323 pounds and think it's simple. It's not, but he can still be a very good player.

sutz

Reaction score
I sure hope he can bring it. We need the DL help.

:thumbup:

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
He'll be a run-stopping machine. 1st and 2nd down to spell Red at least initially. Give him a couple years of NFL coaching and who knows? The most important part is that he wants to work hard. That's all you can ask of a guy.

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
I think, he feels ready to make an impact on the field as quickly as possible, and it's hard not to like that. He knows what people have been saying about his ability to make an impact as a pass rusher, and about the concerns people have/had about his knees. It looks like he is studying hard and doing work in the weight room...hard not to be excited about him.

Played some fullback, plays rugby, can fit any scheme, and it's easy to see what PC&JS saw in the fella.

Top 5-10 DT in college football, 2x National Champion (played on some big stages), projected to go at a high round and the 'hawks get a great steal (ala Sherm, Russ, etc) in round five.

Did Seattle just break the game??

OP
OP
godawg

godawg

Reaction score
Vin, I agree that Jesse's legs look disproportionately slender compared to his upper body, but I used to think the same thing about Shawn Kemp, and his legs were strong enough to launch him way over the rim. I'm not a sports scientist, but I'd be surprised if muscle strength is directly related to muscle bulk.

ivotuk

Reaction score
That's the definition of a "Barrel Chested Man."

In the skinny legs department, Warren Sapp's legs always looked too skinny to hold him up.

v1rotv2

Reaction score
I am assuming that the Hawk trainers will be working on his legs to bolster the muscle mass. I too am less concerned about his legs.

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":3b0uk3if said:
SmokinHawk":3b0uk3if said:
I bet his knee is just fine.

Knowing how John and Pete work, I agree. They wouldn't draft a guy for a need position with significant injury concerns.

They are draft day pirates, to be sure. They have pillaged the fifth round, picking massively talented players seemingly every draft. I not only suspect that Williams will continue in the same tradition of fifth round excellence, I expect it. Williams will play significant time this season, and given the opportunity, will absolutely dominate the middle of the line.

travlinhawk

Reaction score
godawg":wc9c5q9p said:
Vin, I agree that Jesse's legs look disproportionately slender compared to his upper body, but I used to think the same thing about Shawn Kemp, and his legs were strong enough to launch him way over the rim. I'm not a sports scientist, but I'd be surprised if muscle strength is directly related to muscle bulk.

I think it may also be a muscle density thing.

kearly

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":28f3vk9k said:
Knowing how John and Pete work, I agree. They wouldn't draft a guy for a need position with significant injury concerns.

Well, they did draft Walter Thurmond and trade a pick for a very unhealthy Leon Washington, and they were no more or less of a need than Williams.

Maybe Williams' knee holds up, but he was a 1st-2nd round talent depending on who you asked (I would have said 1st- as a NT), and guys with that kind of talent and track record don't fall to the 5th round because they have short arms. Anyone who believes that, especially for a nose tackle type, is just being silly.

Seattle could have taken Williams in the 2nd, but didn't. They could have taken him in the 3rd, but didn't. They could have taken him in the 4th, but didn't. They even passed on him to take a much lower rated player at the same position. In other words, I think it's pretty obvious that the knee concerns at least played a role in this. Without the knee concerns, Williams is probably not even making it to our #56 pick.

Hawks46

Reaction score
They are extremely thorough at the combine. I think it's silly to just shrug off a player's injury concerns because John and Pete drafted him.

That said, we seem to have the best strength and conditioning staff in the NFL. If anyone can strengthen his legs and support that knee, it's our guys.

OP
OP
godawg

godawg

Reaction score
People have several times mentioned the specter of Marcus Tubbs, whose dominance lasted for one season. If I recall, Tubbs was not known for his work ethic, and I would guess that he was not as devoted to conditioning his legs as Williams. Time will tell, but as Kearly had mentioned in a previous post, if we get 3-4 good years from Tha Monstar, he'll be a fifth round steal.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Man I really hope that his knees don't hold him back anymore, I really want to see what he can do for our team.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Hawks46":wc44fw4o said:
They are extremely thorough at the combine. I think it's silly to just shrug off a player's injury concerns because John and Pete drafted him.

That said, we seem to have the best strength and conditioning staff in the NFL. If anyone can strengthen his legs and support that knee, it's our guys.

...and our strength and conditioning staff can only make a difference if he uses them. Instead, he's in Australia tumbling loader tires around. DUMB!