NBA returning to Seattle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laloosh

Reaction score
H/B/N will do what they can and beyond that, there is nothing left to do. NHL wouldn't be enough to get them to build the arena would it? I wouldn't mind watching some hockey while we wait.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Sue Silver's dumb ass along with Stern an the NBA's! Scorched earth beotches! If I cant get my NHL team due to NBA and their commish's being a couple of Richard Craniums then send the NBA into a death spiral with it defending itself against massive lawsuits!

The Outfield

Reaction score
E.C. Laloosh":3nd27yer said:
H/B/N will do what they can and beyond that, there is nothing left to do. NHL wouldn't be enough to get them to build the arena would it? I wouldn't mind watching some hockey while we wait.

I don't think so. Most NHL teams don't bring anywhere near the profits of NBA teams.

pinksheets

Reaction score
E.C. Laloosh":1fm42f3i said:
No, it wouldn't.

Let's keep in mind that Stern just called Ballmer, essentially, an ideal NBA owner in the media. I wonder how you go about denying a PSA to a guy like Ballmer then? They need HBN to back out, they can't deny them. Maybe they threaten scorched earth, constant denial of relocation, etc. etc., but we'll see. I have a feeling Ballmer isn't the type to take kindly to threats.

89127_steve-ballmer-19.jpg

da *** u say?

chris98251

Reaction score
Buy the kings, trade all their players and pick up free agents off the developmental league, lose 79 games the first season, watch support vanish for the Arena, watch attendence go down the tube, Hansen and Balmer don't even have to go there, oh and hire Paul Westphal as coach to make sure you never go anywhere.

Claim no area support, claim that the city backed out of the Arena deal, claim you can't make money in currenty market with Arco arena, move team to Seattle.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
The Outfield":3j0y38es said:
pinksheets":3j0y38es said:
Chris Daniels ‏@ChrisDaniels5 9m
NBA Commissioner David Stern, appearing on the Charlie Rose show tonight, calls Steve Ballmer a "Perfect Prototype for an NBA Owner"...

Chris Daniels ‏@ChrisDaniels5 8m
...but, Stern says, (paraphrasing now) Sacramento came through with plan, and a group, and that's why the committee made the recommendation.

Chris Daniels ‏@ChrisDaniels5 6m
Adam Silver "I think some people are surprised at the preliminary decision the relocation committee has made..."

Chris Daniels ‏@ChrisDaniels5 5m
Silver (cont) "..because they say well but look at Seattle. There are more corporate headquarters, There's more TV households..."

Chris Daniels ‏@ChrisDaniels5 4m
Silver "..there's the potential to generate more revenue there? Shouldn't you move a franchise to the market where there is more revenue?"

Chris Daniels ‏@ChrisDaniels5 3m
Adam Silver: "Our response is not necessarily..."

Chris Daniels ‏@ChrisDaniels5 2m
Silver: "...that if you look at total value over time and brand building and community support that continuity is important." #NBAKings

Uh... WTF? lol

Sigh, looks like Stern has had too much time to make Silver his brainwashed pet.

Uh..........fighting till the bitter end just seems moot to me after reading these comments. Seattle will be forever be used as leverage by the NBA so they can get other cities to build new venues for them. Guess 41 years pf support doesn't mean s*** these days.

pinksheets

Reaction score
No, we won't be used. Not if we fight.

If you want to back down like a pussy, have at it, but Hansen and Ballmer, if they see this as their one and only chance to have secured a team in the next 5 years or so, are going to make it hurt.

Stop being the quintessential Seattle fan stereotype that knows nothing but defeat and bitching about being defeated. We're big boys now. If we're going down, we're bringing as many of these jackasses down with us as we can.

Throwdown

Reaction score
I may be grasping at straws here, but anyone else find it odd that Silver used the word "preliminary" to describe what happened yesterday? what happens if Vivivivivivivek Ranadeerover doesn't come up with the money that he hasn't come up with?

pinksheets

Reaction score
Throwdown":1hbo60dr said:
I may be grasping at straws here, but anyone else find it odd that Silver used the word "preliminary" to describe what happened yesterday? what happens if Vivivivivivivek Ranadeerover doesn't come up with the money that he hasn't come up with?
It's a valid question. Let's see what happens Friday in that regard. Let's also see if the Maloofs even give half a crap about what these jokers are doing, since these other dudes, that they have a signed contract with, are paying them more.

chris98251

Reaction score
I still find it ironic that with no real purchase money on the table and all the heresay about the arena that the board looked at relocation negitively.

If they were instructed by Stern and Bennett to weigh the ramifications soley on whats best for all franchises and not specificly Sacramento then I could see a no vote. Looking at it as a owner of a franchise and the possible sale in the future of any team and that a new owner could just move it at will would make a lot of them cringe thinking their team could be relocated.

chris98251

Reaction score
As far as expansion, there are players, think about it, up until barly 20 years ago most players came almost totally from the US, now it's a world recruitment and their are some pretty good players world wide. They can put teams together. deluted as far as how many Micheal Jordons are out there maybe, but then again if you have a guy like that your lucky. It mostly comes down to how many dominating one on one players are there, if they played team basketball more then stocking teams would not be the issue they say it is.

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
If we back down they'll use us as leverage for the next 10 years. Better to go down swinging.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
chris98251":19ye3xrk said:
As far as expansion, there are players, think about it, up until barly 20 years ago most players came almost totally from the US, now it's a world recruitment and their are some pretty good players world wide. They can put teams together. deluted as far as how many Micheal Jordons are out there maybe, but then again if you have a guy like that your lucky. It mostly comes down to how many dominating one on one players are there, if they played team basketball more then stocking teams would not be the issue they say it is.

The thing is why would they come to the NBA now after the expansion when they could've came before and played? If they were good enough or wanted to, they probably would've probably already came. If they were that good, the pre-expansion teams (all 32 teams now) would've probably tried to recruit them already. I also agree that it comes down to the "one on one players", but there aren't too many good ones around the world or in the NBA already. Teams are already not very competitive outside of a few, expansion would most likely just add another to that list.

425HawkSpark

Reaction score
I'm in let push forward and let the NBA know they will never do this to us again. Bring the laywers, bring the NBA down.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
salamander":79xu3q5c said:
You know this is a Seahawks board, which as a Seahawks fan is the primary reason I come here. I didn't realize I had to be a Sonics fan too. Usually the people here are pretty cool and respectful. They also typically have thick skin and can discuss things like grown men. Telling me to f-off when I made a fairly innocuous comment from a Kings fan's perspective isn't what I'd expect from this place and frankly you're not doing your city any favors by being a dick.

Traditionally Sacramento has always supported the Kings. They had seasons and seasons of sellouts when their best players were Mitch Richmond and Wayman Tisdale and they were lucky to make the playoffs as an 8 seed and get swept. The last few years have been bad because the fans realized they were being ripped off and manipulated by the Maloofs. Let me give you an analogy. For years the Sacramento fans stood in long lines to eat a really bad hamburgers...they only stopped showing up when the Maloofs started making the burgers out of horse meat and spitting in them. All they gotta do is stop spitting in the burgers and the fans will return.

"Hello Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?"

do you really think your statement, immediately after the emotional gut punch, was "innocuous"? Either youre not sure of what that word means, or far from sensitive to the massive amounts of Sonics fans on this board and how frustrated and angry we all are at this moment. I think its you who wasnt doing your city any favors. You came on here to gloat. and whether you intended to or not came off arrogantly. you cant be that naive, and if you are, well, welcome to .net.

vedthree

Reaction score
dontbelikethat":2vfgh0m9 said:
The thing is why would they come to the NBA now after the expansion when they could've came before and played?

Because up until the mid/late 90's those international players didn't exist and NBA teams didn't bother looking for them.

The international reach of the game has changed significantly in the last 20 years. One main reason is NBA marketing - starting with the Dream Team of the 90's Olympics. The other reason (good or bad) is that the style of play in the NBA has changed. The international game has a slightly different set of rules & style (more like NCAA) - more emphasis on playing in space, ball movement, jump shots, etc. In the 80's/90's in was possible for perimeter players to make the transition (the wave of Eastern Euro swingmen like Petrovic, Kukoc, Marciulionis). Since then, the style of the NBA has adapted even further - players like Nowitski, Ginobli, Parker, etc - can now thrive.

There are currently 30 teams in the NBA. Everyone freaks out about expansion and "diluting the product" because in 1990 there were only 22. First wave of NBA expansion was 1990 (Heat, Hornets) then 2 more a year later (Magic, Timberwolves) then 2 more in 1995 (Raptors, Grizzlies). Finally the Bobcats were added in '04 to make it an even 30. However - in the "Golden Age" of the 60's & 70's, when the NBA & ABA were both in action, there was also a total of 30 teams (18 in the NBA, 12 in the ABA).

Basically, you're only looking at a 10 year stretch in the 80's where there were not about 30 professional basketball teams playing in the US. (and the ABA did not fold because of lack of talent - it was like the USFL and folded because of a mish-mash of good/bad owners, no TV deal and small markets).

Bottom line, there's more than enough talent to support 31/32 Pro teams in the US. Expansion is not going to destroy the product. The NBA's issues have always been with bad/restrictive CBA's, no hard salary cap, guaranteed contracts, and the difficulty of trades. That's what allowed "powerhouse" big market teams to hoard talent in the 80's/90's while small market teams suffered. And it meant that if a team made one bad trade/investment it could trap them in cap hell for 3-4 seasons. Supposedly those issues were improved a bit in the latest CBA.

pehawk

Reaction score
G'Damn I missed Ved's basketball posts. Back in the day, before Throwdown, you were the ONLY persons hoops opinion I respected. I forgot all about that until you started posting in this thread.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
pehawk":395e115x said:
G'Damn I missed Ved's basketball posts. Back in the day, before Throwdown, you were the ONLY persons hoops opinion I respected. I forgot all about that until you started posting in this thread.

What the hell? You respect Throwdown?

Status
Not open for further replies.