Votes: 35 14.9%
  • D

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • F

Votes: 6 2.6%

• Total voters

Largent80

Reaction score
Solid B. We picked up a nice RB because of having a roster deep enough to allow it. Oh and Percy?.......hahahahaha.

I like the CB addition as well.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
With Percy I give it a solid A+. Without Percy I'd give it a B. I was taken aback by most of the early picks but after doing some research I really like all of the picks through round 5. After round 5 though almost all of the picks(except Ty Powell) really left me scratching my head. Overall though I think givn our team depth, we did pretty well. I really like how you can see who they are trying to backup/replace in the future.

Christine Michael - Lynch's future replacement
Jordan Hill - Mebane
Chris Harper - Probably Rice if we decide to cut his salary
Jessie Williams - Big Red
Tharold Simon - Browner

aawolf

Reaction score
I didn't factor in Percy, and voted hard C. With Harvin, it goes up to A-.

The only player drafted I see helping us out immediately is Jesse Williams or Jordan Hill. The rest may be roster fodder. On the bright side, it's not like we needed much immediate help any way. I also like the potential of Chris Harper and Simon....I'm psyched about that for the future. Also, so long as Christine Michael stays out of trouble and out of the tub, he could be starting too in a few years.

gargantual

Reaction score
TDOTSEAHAWK":m3v6fok7 said:
A.

The Harvin trade looks better now than it did at the time (and it looked good then).

Addressed the interior defensive line. A great need as we had only a single viable starter and 4 depth guys. People are down on the Jordan Hill pick but forget we play a hybrid scheme where he fits better on our team than in a conventional 4-3 3 tech spot. He could be a back-up at both Red and Mebane's positions while Williams would basically play where Branch did last year.

Filled offensive depth needs at every skill position (except QB). We would have to get in a lot of injury trouble on offense for it to be very noticeable - which was not the case before (think of an injury to Marshawn, M-Rob or Zach Miller) - there would be a very noticeable drop in talent.

Grabbed value in the 5th and 7th rounds.

Snuck in Browner's replacement and K.J. Wright depth for good measure.

The only thing this team is missing right now is a good FS back-up for Earl. Besides Wilson, he is our most important player without a truly viable back-up.
Great point! I was really wondering about the running back picks in particular, but seeing them as backups (awesome backups with far less talent drop-off than we are accustomed to!) for RB and FB is exciting (...and as future replacements down the road). This uncharted waters deal is scarey.....but very very heady stuff!

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
I'd give it an A. They got at least 4 guys including Harvinthat have a pretty good chance at being starters eventually, which is a very solid number. The one pick I don't like was Luke Willson in the 5th. I can't imagine anyone else would have even thought about him until the 7th

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
After watching Bowie highlights (which I posted into his stickied thread) I'm a lot higher on him as a prospect. While he was a "small school nobody" he'd actually played legitimate left tackle at OK State, so he's got some real experience and looked good doing it. That may bump my mood about this draft from a B to closer to A territory.

seatt1eslew

Reaction score
B+ w/Harvin
C+ w/o

I didn't mind the Willson selection, but he is a project. Sounds like he would have been there later. Could have used that pick for OL depth. That's the only gripe I could consider arguing.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
B- (not including Harvin, which I think automatically propels it to an A)

I agree with the media grade we received. I think our two 5th round picks would have been low 2nd high 3rd round picks in most drafts. I like the two receiver picks as well, we finally got a bigger WR in the draft so that was nice to see. I don't however under any circumstance think it was necessary to draft two RB's, in my opinion I think its necessary to go with more obvious concerns like doubling up on a pick for a defensive lineman. That being said most of us though last years draft wasn't very good either. I trust PC/JS

Pre-Draft: A
Draft: B-
Overall: B

The 49ers draft was an A hands down.

Rat

Reaction score
Solid B.

I'm not including Harvin in that grade, as I never count player trades in draft grades. If I included Harvin as a member of our draft class, then I'd also have to count Anquan Boldin in San Francisco's, Robert Griffin III in Washington's, Aaron Curry in Oakland's, and Harvin in ours again next year. The Harvin trade stands on its own as an A move.

As for the draft itself, we only made two picks that I would go as far as saying I'm "excited" about: Ty Powell and Jessie Williams. I'd classify Tharold Simon and Jared Smith as "very good" picks. Most of the rest, I don't love or hate: Michael, Harper, Ware, Willson, Seymour, Bowie. I don't have major complaints about those picks, but there were a number of guys available in those spots who I would have much preferred. Michael should at least be fun, and you can't have too much explosion in your offense, so at least he should be useful.

Only pick I really don't like is Jordan Hill. I don't think he'll be horrible, but I see him as the type of player who nobody will care when, in four years, he signs a 2-year $5 million contract with another team. I saw that as a very blah pick, which I don't like in the third round. If I'm wrong, it sure won't be the first time.

For those complaining that it's too early to grade a draft: these are predictions. I don't see it as any different than predicting season records in July or August. More than anything else, draft grades are an interesting way to generate discussion during a slow time of the year. Like power rankings, some people take draft grades way too seriously. I guess if you only look at a draft using hindsight, you'll never be wrong.

drdiags

Reaction score
kearly":3br9vfpe said:

And FWIW, Pete and John seemed a little downtodden in their draft press conferences the last two days. Not a lot of excitement. Schneider looked downright bummed at times. I'm thinking there were some frustrating close misses for them in the draft that we don't know about. I think even John Schneider would probably grade his draft well short of an A, if his body language was any indication. In 2012 and 2010 they were beaming with excitement during and after those drafts. Not this year.

In regards to their energy, if you listened to the wrap-up draft conference Schneider came close to losing it when they talked about the long-time scout who was diagnosed with ALS and had to retire in December. Pete and John were talking with him as DJ made the last two picks for the team. Seems John was taking it pretty hard. Who knows for sure? I think you are making a leap, but maybe you know more inside details so I cannot dispute you.

Not sure I agree with the Hill being a panic move, but maybe I missed where John gave a key saying this was the case. I did hear him say that when they were deciding who to pick with the 2nd round pick, Hill was in the mix with Michael so not sure how picking him a round later would make it a panic move?

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Our actual draft, I grade a B simply based on positions we chose. I was hoping we'd grab some DT action and maybe some OL, and we did. If you consider Harvin to be our 1st draft pick, then it's an A.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
I'd grade it an A even without including Harvin. I freaking loved this draft.

This is the first draft like this of many. This is the draft that Schneider was talking about when he said they were going to building a consistently elite team, not a one year wonder. People may want to whine and complain about "depth players" but those "depth players" this year are going to give us amazing cap flexibility which will allow us to keep our young core together for the long haul. LOVE IT.

WarHawk73

Reaction score
got Tha Monster and Hill to fill the only hole... the rest is building for the future. I can't remember a year I could of said that before. Gotta love Pete & John

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1fud6uut said:
I'm curious to hear from one of the folks who voted F.

It's probably Blitzer. You should have seen that guy in the chat room during the draft. Holy Christ, talk about a meltdown; over almost all of our picks.

Axx

Reaction score
I give it a B+. i Want to give it a "A" but im not sure if our Outside Linebacker position was resolved.
I know Pete and John disliked the linebackers in this class though so that explains why.

Also im a bit iffy on our right guard position also.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":42asfmyg said:
I'm curious to hear from one of the folks who voted F.

It's simple mathematics. Landing in the 0-60% F range is more likely than landing in any of the significantly smaller percentile ranges offered by letters A through D. Saying we got an F in our take from the draft is like betting a dollar on an item in The Price is Right. It won't satisfy the homeristic group-think we have running rampant in this thread but being right isn't about satisfying our illusions.

sc85sis

Reaction score
A few years back, USC ended up having about ten RBs on the roster. People said Pete was crazy--until the injuries started piling up and suddenly we had only a couple healthy RBs.

Seattle ran the ball more than any other NFL team last year. Extra backs are a good thing.

kigenzun

Reaction score
B+ :p It was JSPC perfect... and could've used a little improvement. :roll:
Loved the run (2 RBs) & stop the run (2 DTs) theme. Loved the depth especially at CB & FB. If the jokerTE contributes and one or more of the 7th rounders or UDFA makes the team, I'll upgrade to an A.