Votes: 35 14.9%
  • D

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • F

Votes: 6 2.6%

• Total voters

kearly

Reaction score
I'm going to bump my draft grade up to a B-. The Spencer Ware pick has grown on me in a big way the last couple days. I have a good feeling about Willson too after hearing his interviews. Usually athletic freaks that interview like coaches tend to do pretty well for themselves.

SDHawk

Reaction score
kearly":160sgrak said:
I'm going to bump my draft grade up to a B-. The Spencer Ware pick has grown on me in a big way the last couple days. I have a good feeling about Willson too after hearing his interview. Usually athletic freaks that interview like coaches tend to do pretty well for themselves.

Ware is definitely a violent runner, but he has large enough of a sample size that makes you wonder whether it was him or the oline responsible for the mediocre production. Is it his vision? How many times was he hit in the backfield because judging by his highlight tape, he had no problems getting yards after contact. 4 yards per carry is pretty crappy.

On Luke Willson, that's what I am saying. He interviews great and he's obviously a hard worker given that hes a three sport athlete. And the measurables to boot!

kearly

Reaction score
SDHawk":3t6l3xb9 said:
Ware is definitely a violent runner, but he has large enough of a sample size that makes you wonder whether it was him or the oline responsible for the mediocre production. Is it his vision? How many times was he hit in the backfield because judging by his highlight tape, he had no problems getting yards after contact. 4 yards per carry is pretty crappy.

The low yards per carry is for two reasons:

He lacks the top gear to rip off 80 yard big plays, and those kind of big runs are what raise averages. There isn't a stat for "median yards per carry", but if there was I bet he'd be above average.

Players that run to contact instead of trying to be elusive tend to have lower yards per carry as a general rule. Before 2012, Lynch's career high YPC season was 4.2 YPC. Ricky Watters career YPC was 4.1, IIRC.

SDHawk

Reaction score
kearly":2n23lrgm said:
SDHawk":2n23lrgm said:

He lacks the top gear to rip off 80 yard big plays, and those kind of big runs are what raise averages. There isn't a stat for "median yards per carry", but if there was I bet he'd be above average.

Players that run to contact instead of trying to be elusive tend to have lower yards per carry as a general rule. Before 2012, Lynch's career high YPC season was 4.2 YPC. Ricky Watters career YPC was 4.1, IIRC.

Thanks for your answer Kearly but I am still a bit skeptical. If Lynch averaged under 4ypc in college he wouldn't have been drafted.

All that said, Ware still passes the eye-ball test... which is why I was so mystified by the stats.

I think I agree with DavidSeven, it seems to be a consequence of his function as a short yardage back.

NinerBuff

Reaction score
As a Niner Fan, I think you guys had a great draft. Your backfield should be set for the post-Lynch years with Turbin and Michael. Hill and Williams are solid NT prospects (I can't believe Williams fell to the 5th, that was huge for you). Also Simon seems to be in the mold of your CBs (tall and long arms). Harper could be a steal as well. Plus, the Harvin trade has to be accounted for...

Overall Grade: B+/A-

Now, if Avril and Bennett can provide good pass rush, your offseason will be stellar. Remains to be seen. I also think Irvin will have a better season, and overall, he had a good season last season.

General Manager

Reaction score
NinerBuff":2os4wj5n said:
As a Niner Fan, I think you guys had a great draft. Your backfield should be set for the post-Lynch years with Turbin and Michael. Hill and Williams are solid NT prospects (I can't believe Williams fell to the 5th, that was huge for you). Also Simon seems to be in the mold of your CBs (tall and long arms). Harper could be a steal as well. Plus, the Harvin trade has to be accounted for...

Overall Grade: B+/A-

Now, if Avril and Bennett can provide good pass rush, your offseason will be stellar. Remains to be seen. I also think Irvin will have a better season, and overall, he had a good season last season.

If your coach wasn't so detestable i might actually like SF .

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
kearly":3q3lek1q said:
SDHawk":3q3lek1q said:

Im not sure I would buy that, especially in College football. You shouldn't be comparing YPC in college to YPC in the NFL...two different games....anyways....
http://espn.go.com/college-football/sta ... ngAttempts

look at the RBs with 200 or more attempts..... then check their YPC.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
SDHawk":306j23dw said:
kearly":306j23dw said:
SDHawk":306j23dw said:

Thanks for your answer Kearly but I am still a bit skeptical. If Lynch averaged under 4ypc in college he wouldn't have been drafted.

All that said, Ware still passes the eye-ball test... which is why I was so mystified by the stats.

I think I agree with DavidSeven, it seems to be a consequence of his function as a short yardage back.

Lynch average 6.6 ypc for his college career.