How close have you been to the NFL? (offseason time waster)

How close to the NFL are you / football experience

• (Mere mortal) Just a fan. Nothing more

Votes: 98 44.5%
  • Played High School Ball

Votes: 66 30.0%
  • Played College Ball

Votes: 15 6.8%
  • NFL player (on a roster at all - even if you never made the 53)

Votes: 8 3.6%
  • I have a friend/family member in the NFL

Votes: 33 15.0%

• Total voters

razgriz737

Reaction score
A few years ago I was swimming in a pool at a hotel in Disney World and saw that Joe Theismann was in the pool, as well.

My cousin's buddy works at the Top Pot that Golden Tate broke into.

That's about the extent of my NFL experience.

Aerik

Reaction score
my nephew works in the pro shop, or did anyhow.. his paycheck has the NFL logo on it, great discounts on swag anyways.. Used to employ Ken Baines, probably 15 years after he played; lower back L&I claim after about 4 days.........YAY! OH! and 'my bros and I' camp with a cat named 'Jason' who was apparently O-line for a bit, not sure at what level or era, but I'm not about to argue with him.. he's about 4 of me

Red Beard

Reaction score
lol. *sighs*

Played baseball on numerous All-Star teams growing up with Max Komar. Last I heard was that he was in Chicago, but he came into the league as an UDFA for the Cardinals.

The only other NFL player I knew on any personal level was Billy Joe Hobert...I'm assuming I knew him during a poor time in his life, as his association between us was my mother. I was pretty young then, so my memory is pretty cloudy.

As far as ANY sport goes, I grew up having pitching battles and playing on the same all-star team as Nick Hagadone, who was drafted by the Red Sox in the 2nd round IIRC. He is currently on the Indians' active roster.

Also had a few practices growing up with Graig Nettles. Actually was a pretty awesome guy to learn from. I was a pitcher that had power when he hit, but I drew walks far too often and wasn't the best at making contact. He helped develop my accuracy in regards to putting the ball in play, where I wanted it to go. Unfortunately, muscle deterioration took it's toll and I never had the opportunity to play at the collegiate level. Actually had been approached by a couple scouts by mistake (were scouting a few older players the same day) that had told me they would be keeping tabs on me (Was 15 at the time). Didn't have the zip on my pitches that Hagadone had, but sure as hell made up for it with consistent accuracy every pitch and some wicked junk in my back pocket.

Fawk this thread. Bringing up memories and such!

CANHawk

Reaction score
Played two horribly injury riddled years in the Canadian Jr. League and had a few partial scholarship offers to some JC's (including Eastern Washington) before they figured out my left knee was a total crap sandwich.

Also have a cousin who was a pretty successful WR for the Utah Utes, had a tryout with the Bills and has played about 10 years in the CFL. We don't keep in touch though unfortunately. HIS step dad was a replacement player for Washington during the strike in 87. They gave him a SB ring iirc.

Greenhell

Reaction score
muxpux":3i3ogl11 said:
I've partied with a guy who played for the broncos when they won the Super Bowl. Wearing a donkeys SB ring felt so wrong but man that thing was sweet.

As for myself I played some in middle school, but that was it

Was it David Diaz-infante? He was an o-lineman for the '98 bronco sb team.That dude was in my home town in Colorado all the time. He enjoyed the night life and always took off his ring to let people check it out and try it on. One weekend he must've partied real hard at a house party and actually lost his ring. Story was he was so hammered that he had forgotten who he had last tried on his ring. Somehow the ring was found at the local SAMs Club.

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=64994

muxpux

Reaction score
Greenhell":257t9ufg said:
muxpux":257t9ufg said:
I've partied with a guy who played for the broncos when they won the Super Bowl. Wearing a donkeys SB ring felt so wrong but man that thing was sweet.

As for myself I played some in middle school, but that was it

Was it David Diaz-infante? He was an o-lineman for the '98 bronco sb team.That dude was in my home town in Colorado all the time. He enjoyed the night life and always took off his ring to let people check it out and try it on. One weekend he must've partied real hard at a house party and actually lost his ring. Story was he was so hammered that he had forgotten who he had last tried on his ring. Somehow the ring was found at the local SAMs Club.

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=64994

David Ritchie. He's a local boy. From Kelso. Played baseball against his younger brother who I swear had a 90mph heater in high school.

Anyways, it was a local party, he does local events and as far as I know hasn't ever lost his ring.

Shadyhawk182

Reaction score
mikeak":2p4x62cp said:
Shadyhawk182":2p4x62cp said:
I played little league baseball with Randall Cobb and highschool football. His parents were my parents childhood best friends so when he comes to town we hang out sometimes. Also. When Peyton was qb for Tennessee they had to do community service to be on the team and Peyton worked at the boys and girls club that my mom was the manager of. When he comes to town sometimes he invites our family to dinner....its a littlw weird though because hes a grown man but still calls my mom "miss Linda".

Next time you should lead with Peyton Manning :D -- he usually doesn't go down as the "also guy" .....

cool story

and cool stories by everyone else

I have a really really big screen TV so with HD it feels like I spend many Sundays right next to NFL players but that is as close as I get

haha thanks, the reason i started with Randall is because he's someone i consider a friend like if i saw him i could be like "Hey, whats up Randall, how you been" and its not like a fan talking to him, just buddies talking.
Peyton on the other hand, still a bit star stuck, and he has remember my name before, but i do not know if i could talk to him without him being like " uh...do you want a autograph or what??" hah

SE174

Reaction score
Never played. Closest (literally) I've been to the NFL was when I got a press pass to photograph the final Seahawks training camp in Cheney. Got to shoot from inside the fences and eat in their dining hall.

MissoulaHawk

Reaction score
1. My sister was engaged to marry Jamien McCullum, WR at Stanford, and son of Seahawks WR Sam McCullum.

2. My roommate and best friend, Jeff Linehan, is the nephew of current Lions OC / former Rams head coach Scott Linehan. We go to 1 Lions game every year and occasionally get to rub elbows with the players. Jeff's father is Scott's brother.

sc85sis

Reaction score
We have a family friend who played in the NFL for several years, mostly as a special teams guy.

bubbrubb

Reaction score
my babaysitter as a kid was Greg Frers' wife, Safety for the Calgary Stampeders (CFL). Went to the NO Saints training camp I vaguely remember. When it was off-season he'd help out and gave THE BEST rocket rides...they were fun :)

MLOhawks

Reaction score
I was at Morgan Middle School in Ellensburg when Ja'warren Hooker was a senior at Ellensburg High School. I knew his little brother from little league baseball, we were on the same team one year. Moved to South Seattle and went to some of the high school football games in Kent (I ended up as a KM Royal), talked to Mike Karney a few times when he was a player for Kentwood and he was a beast on the field, he has bounced around the NFL the last decade.

Met Brian Habib, he was an alama mater from the same elementary school as me. Also met Drew Bledsoe, his parents or something owned a store in Eburg and he signed autographs at it when I was a little kid. Still have his card and a picture with an autograph.

And of course I have met various Seahawks around Seattle but usually at the obvious places.

Hawk Haole

Reaction score
I was once in the bathroom of a bar/restaurant in Honolulu. As I was walking to the sink this really big guy comes in and goes to the urinal. As he stands there he starts hawking and farting and making a lot of bodily function noises quite loudly. I was thinking WTF? As he finished up this equally large guy walks in and the two of these giants know each other and start slamming each other in the shoulders and were generally pushing each other around the small bathroom in greeting. I was trapped at the sink thinking that it would get out of there before one of them misses and accidentally slams me. They finished and walked out of the bathroom to the bar. That's when I realized that the first guy was Jack Lambert. I have no idea who the other giant was.

TravTex

Reaction score
Hrm... in Friday Night Lights, toward the end there's a shot of the depth chart. The backup QB for the Odessa Permian Panthers, listed as 'Case' went on to lead 'em to a 16-0 season the year following the season in the movie. Hung out with the guy some in college. Had a long yet uneventful football career. Think he was drafted in '95, my last year at UNM:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stoney_Case (Only NFL player I've spoken to more than once.)

Met a few who went on to play in the NFL... Terrence Mathis spoke at my High School graduation, heh. Met Jake Bequette, Joe Adams, and Ryan Mallett while in Fayetteville.

Used to work with Ray Childress' cousin.

Hawk-A-Loogie

Reaction score
My friend got punched by Chris Ivory at a WSU party. Chris Ivory, the RB for the Saints. lol.

But yeah, im just a fan of the NFL.

seabowl

Reaction score
I live in NY and had Keyshon Johnson come up to me and say that he thought from further back I was Wayne Chrebet. I told him I was faster and had better hands. Also have a friend that was a very good LB in the league and later became the LB coach of the Hawks. Got to meet many top players through him.

60niners

Reaction score
I played high school football in Northern California. A couple buddies of mine went off to play college ball, one good buddy of mine played for the Raiders and Colts. After high school I joined the Marines so no foosball for me.

taz291819

Reaction score
Never played football, even though I wanted to, as I was too small at the time. Wrestled 119lbs my senior year of high school.

With that said, I was very good friends with Harry Galbreath, OL for the Pack and Dolphins. He passed away a few years ago unfortunately. Very good man, biggest guy I've ever met in my life, and a heart of gold.

I also film every game for the University of North Alabama, and film and produce their Coach's show. During last year's draft, both ESPN and NFL network used my footage of Jenoris Jenkins when showing highlights (besides his Florida seasons) for the draft.

I even got a call from the Rams media department asking for footage. Didn't give it up to them.