How close have you been to the NFL? (offseason time waster)

How close to the NFL are you / football experience

• (Mere mortal) Just a fan. Nothing more

Votes: 98 44.5%
  • Played High School Ball

Votes: 66 30.0%
  • Played College Ball

Votes: 15 6.8%
  • NFL player (on a roster at all - even if you never made the 53)

Votes: 8 3.6%
  • I have a friend/family member in the NFL

Votes: 33 15.0%

• Total voters

SilkMonkey

Reaction score
I played OL/DL in high school but was undersized for college. Switched to broadcasting.

I've met a bunch of Seahawks players; I had a nice ten minute chat with Sherman before last season. Walter Jones is a twitter follower and a very very polite guy. I worked with a guy who was drafted by the Cowboys in the Irvin days and played in Canada. Had some funny as stories and still cut like he could run on the field and get it going again.

DanejaHawk

Reaction score
I was a two way tackle at small high school on the Oregon coast. I came dangerously close to sacking The Moose From Scappoose Derek Anderson once in his senior year (my sophomore), but he read the weak pursuit angle I took after I broke through the line and easily broke through my even weaker attempt at an arm tackle. The dude was a giant even then.

Also my uncle Dale was a scab player for the Seahawks in 1987 coming out of the University of Oregon, before it was cool. By my junior year of high school I had pretty much decided that I wanted to be a musician and not a football player so I wussed out on football, I miss it though and wish I had at least played through high school and maybe a little JC. Anyway, that's the long and short of my NFL contact.

Vance87

Reaction score
Brahn":2lfn36a0 said:
Got a buddy on the Texans practice squad. We are all hoping he can make the team full time this year. We really were hoping he would get a look up here in Seattle but he is doing well in Houston.

Who is he?

Childhood friends with Kevin Matthews, Titans center and son of Bruce Matthews. Their house was ginormous. A couple times I went over to Warren Moon's house.

minormillikin

Reaction score
smashmouth59":3cxwzrdi said:
I went to Junior High and High School with Brock Huard and Dane Looker. I was always JV while they were a year ahead of me. What was so cool about Brock was he was always a great role model. He was never into clicks and always took time to say hi to youngsters like myself.

Also probably my closest connection was the Huards because I went to Rogers (rival high school at the time). I never played football, but I was in marching band. Damon, I don't really remember much, but I remember Brock was a guy Rogers' students loved to hate (on the football field and the basketball court).

Not an NFL thing, but I am also related not too distantly to the Otton family (Sid, Tumwater football coach and Brad, former USC starting QB). Nice people.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
I played a year of college ball at DIII Ithaca (NY). The guys I played with won the Stagg bowl their senior year. In high school, I once wrestled Tim Green. He played a few years of D-Line with the Falcons. He was the only guy that ever pinned me.

Vetamur

Reaction score
Ive hung out with Bob Sapp on occasion in Roppongi. Hooked him up with a girl one night in Club99, the friend of the girl I was out with that night.

The Radish

Reaction score
I've driven by both Seahawks Stadium and University of Washington Stadium when the Seahawks were playing there.

I've driven/ridden by the stadium at Denver, and the one at Tampa. Does that count as a connection?

:D

birdman5

Reaction score
Cartire":1dr7z4rb said:
One of my buddies from high school was Cory Procter. He was drafted by the Lions and also played for Dallas.

I worked with Cory's uncle for a few years. He got me an autographed Cowboy's hat from him (now collecting dust in my closet).

I also sat next to Isaiah Stanbach (spelling?) on his way down to meet with Cowboys after the draft. We talked some football shop. He was real cool. He was studying his Dallas playbook for a while. Found out he loved martial arts movies. He had a movie player about the size of a small laptop and asked if I wanted to watch it with him. I kinda said "ah not really", not wanting to impose, and he wouldn't hear of it, so we watched it together.

hawksman53

Reaction score
my cousins ex husband was married to Michael Koenen's mom and I lived up the street from Jake Locker and he would come into m shop every once in a while and I played highschool ball and Semi Pro ball In the 90's

RockHawk

Reaction score
Great stories so far, and a great topic. I'm going to stay out of the participation though, just so I don't become the ultimate 1-upper!

The Radish

Reaction score
Susitnagal should see this string. She has family in Florida as I recall that had season tickets there and knew someone that knew someone.

:les:

fsmassey

Reaction score
I am just a fan.
Connection wise, Lance Briggs went to my high school. He kept friends with the schools most popular biology teacher. That teacher brought him into one of our classes one day so we could ask questions and stuff. We were all pretty quiet, there wasn't many questions. I wasn't that into football then, I'd have questions for him now.

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
My mother used to tailor suits for Jerry Rice and Joe Montana, she didn't know who they were for years.

One of the many managers at this store I used to work with was a 'hawk, poor dude could barely walk because his body was so shot.

Kid I went to high school with plays for the Jets, plays offensive line. Still works out at the gym here during the off season.

Watched Johnathan Stewart destroy my high school team on a couple occasions back in the day.

TPed Adam Vinatieri's parent's house.

Also, I met some Seahawks at a Luncheons when I was in elementary school, got to fake like I was a 'hawk on the field at the Kingdome...it was bad ass.

The Radish

Reaction score
Had forgotten that I drank beer with Kenny Stabler at local city rec league football while the Oakland Ray-Duhs had him hid out until the draft.

Got to hear lots of storys about Bear Bryant and Alabama from him. I noticed one play he ran to his right, turned and hit a guy about 40 yards downfield clear across the field in stride. Talked to him later to say what a great play that had been. You can imagine the jaw droppings on our groups faces when I said "Kenny Stabler from Alabama?"

Trust me, I never saw him turn away a free drink.

:th2thumbs:

Reaction score
Cool thread.

I played OT and DT in junior high and high school. I was large and powerful and had tremendous push, but my lateral speed sucked and had a vision handicap. No way for college ball.

Just want to take this moment to say that, IMO, seahawks.net has the most knowledgeable, savvy, users with a high football IQ. I've been reading for years and post infrequently, only because scanning threads yields answers to most of my questions.

pehawk

Reaction score
RockHawk":2uwlmv1z said:
Great stories so far, and a great topic. I'm going to stay out of the participation though, just so I don't become the ultimate 1-upper!

Spags is far too modest.

CHawk

Reaction score
Played in high school but coached after for some. We always had a banquet after the season with some guest speakers one year it was Mike Reichenbach LB from the Eagles got to talking to him about the Seahawks and playing in the Kingdom said it was like nothing else with fan support and the noise. Also went the a clinic and Matt Millen was giving a speech on Raiders vs Redskins defensive play calling at Washington they had long names for each lineament at Oakland they had the Cat defensive "I got that cat you get that cat" he did have some great story's and seemed like a he would be a great guy to hang out with. On a side note I stopped coaching and did get certified as a high school official and it is neat to follow some of the players that move on. Did any of you see the you tube video of the official getting hit in the head with the ball this past year on ESPN and David Letterman, looked like he was shot he was from my officials chapter boy did he take a ribbon. In his defense he was to be watching the receiver not the ball.