At this point, 5 seed > 3 seed

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
At this point, 5 seed > 3 seed
Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:14 am
  • If San Fransisco comes out and lays an egg against Arizona, GB wins in Minnesota, and we take care of business against St. Louis, we'll have won the division, but end up as the 3 seed. (GB has 4 losses)

This would set up a first round matchup against whoever the merry-go-round that is the 6th seed settles on (Dallas, Washington, Chicago, NYG) at the CLink. That sounds fantastic until we march the troops into the frozen tundra of Lambeau Field. GB is hitting their stride just like we are, and to say they have a bone to pick would be the understatement of the year.

I'll take my chances with @WAS/DAL > @ATL to get to the NFC championship game over a home game vs. DAL/WAS/CHI/NYG > @GB.

Neither the Skins or Cowboys scare me at home, on the road, or in Toronto, and I'll take Atlanta in a dome over GB in ~10 Farenheit.
    Follow me on Twitter: @realchrisbrown5
    Backpack Rich
    ChrisB Bacon
    NET Veteran

Re: At this point, 5 seed > 3 seed
Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:19 am
  • I wanna go and kick GB's ass in lambeau so they know we deserved that win, fair and square.
    hawksfan515
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:26 am
  • I don't care about any of that. I just want to win the Super Bowl.
    49ers webzone: Win or lose, i hope you injure Sherman. Like a serious career ending injury. I don't want him to get paid.
    49ers webzone: noise should not be the overwhelming reason a team is favored. they need to spray noise-damping foam onto the ceiling of that place.
    BlueTalon
    * NET Curmudgeon *
    * NET Curmudgeon *

Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:33 am
  • 2nd seed > all other options. Dream big. Go Seahawks, Cardinals, and Vikings!
    Vpk0718
    NET Starter

Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:46 am
  • Look, no matter how you slice it - we're going to have to play on the road if we're seriously in contention for a Superbowl.

With that being said, playing in Lambeau will be our greatest test yet (assuming everything plays out like you described),
    but it can only get us battle tested for our biggest road game: The Superbowl.
    Gifted1
    NET Bench Warmer

Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:28 am
  • We have a pretty big bone to pick, too. That whole asterisk on our record needs to be taken care of, because I'm tired of hearing about it from people who would be super happy if it was the other way around.
    MrCarey
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:48 am
  • Hawks will likely have to play in GB anyway. I'd rather play them after their bye than in the NFCC. Unless you expect the 9ers to go into Lambeau and beat the pack.
    I'm In!

What attracted you to the Seahawks?
    “It’s a combination of what I believe the coaches are doing here, the atmosphere and what I think we’re going to do here in the future. I think we’re going to win and win a lot and be a championship team.” – Zac Miller, August 4, 2011
    Seafan
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:22 am
  • I am pretty sure Seattle's path through the NFC is going through Lambeau no matter what. At least in the #3 scenario, they'd have a very winnable game at home, followed by a very tough game (GB), followed either by a home game in the championship round or a game against Atlanta who plays indoors on fast turf, which is very good for us.

Kind of a moot point anyway. The Cardinals are maybe the worst team in the NFL right now. I'd be shocked if they beat SF in Candlestick.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:25 am
  • Yeah I was looking at this last week. Us being the #5 seed is a pretty good scenario. We have to win on the road but its less intimidating to play Washington/Dallas (especially in Dallas) and in Atlanta. Dallas has one of the worst home field advantages and Jerry Jones said that after we destroyed his team; he was gushing about how much more fanatic Seahawk fans are at home. Dallas has one of the worst home field advantages in all of the NFL.

Atlanta hasn't won a playoff game ever with this group of players. In fact they have not only been destroyed at home, but also on the road the last 2 years.

I know its cliche to say you have to beat them all eventually, and it doesn't matter but thats garbage. If you remember the old Seahawks in the early 2000's (when we couldn't beat the Rams) and we had a young team....Its vital for a young group of players to get used to the playoffs and winning on the road in January. Anyone who says it doesn't matter is an amateur football fan.

The #5 seed is the better route unless we magically get the #2 or 3 seed.
    SEC FAN
    NET Starter

Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:36 am
  • If San Francisco loses to Arizona, they'll need to invent a new word. 'Upset' isn't strong enough.

I think we'll get the #5 seed and then go to the NFC East Champion. Then it's all down to the Vikings. They are the true wildcard here. They need to win at home to Green Bay to make the playoffs in week 17. Having just flattened Houston on the road without Adrian Peterson having a big day, they're capable of beating GB at home. That game is huge on Sunday. If the Vikes win, San Fran gets the #2 seed.

Of course, unless you expect the #6 seed to go on a run, we'll be slated to play the NFC East Champion and then Atlanta if we get past round one. We're only likely to play Green Bay or the Niners in the Championship game. And however good this team is right now, they'll have to reach another level again to win two road playoff games.
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:27 am
  • If we can't beat Green Bay at Lambeau in January then we
    don't deserve to go to the Superbowl. The Giants went
    there last year and destroyed a better team than this years
    Packers are and I think we're a better team than last years
    Giants.
    el capitan
    NET Starter

Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:21 am
  • The #5 seed is the better route unless we magically get the #2 or 3 seed.

Huh?? It's better unless something else happens, then that other thing is better?

So... Winning $100 is better than $1000 or $1500, unless of course you win $1000... In which case the $100 really wasn't better after all?
    CaptainSkybeard
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:58 am
  • CaptainSkybeard wrote:
    The #5 seed is the better route unless we magically get the #2 or 3 seed.

Huh?? It's better unless something else happens, then that other thing is better?

So... Winning $100 is better than $1000 or $1500, unless of course you win $1000... In which case the $100 really wasn't better after all?

If you can't fallow the conversation than just go stand in the corner, put your hat on and face the wall.
    SEC FAN
    NET Starter

Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:02 am
  • BlueTalon wrote:I don't care about any of that. I just want to win the Super Bowl.

:13:

You have to beat teams to win it all. I don't care who we play or where we play them.
    P-Rich fo life
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:50 am
  • Whomever they line up in front of us, we will obliterate them, and since we lost so many games we should have won, we are in this position. In reality SF should beat AZ at home with ease, so we will be doing this on the road.
    Hey Cardinals..........The FUN is OVER !!!
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:13 am
  • I don't want to see an easy path to the superbowl. I wanna see us face the best and be the best. This team should not be wasted against crappy talent. We are too good for that. This team isn't afraid of anything and as fans we shouldn't be afraid of anything either.
    strohmin
    NET Starter

Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:46 am
  • Am I the only one that thinks the Hawks have a very good chance of beating GB in GB if it comes to that? IMO, Seattle is a better bad weather team IMO because they run the ball well and the Packers do not. Don't forget what the Whiners did to them at Lambeau the first game of the year and we all know our team is similar to SF (just better). Granted GB is better now than they were then and only our team has been hotter recently. But, I still like our team's chances. A lot. Would LOVE to whip them there and shut up all the Fail Mary bullshit.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

ImageImage

Proud member of the 38 club
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:07 am
  • I wish we could play GB in the NFCCG just so we could beat them and they would have no excuse. Beating GB in GB in the playoffs makes everything right. BRING IT ON.
    I enjoy ruining threads by making them about personal attacks and then commenting about how personal attacks make the other person's argument invalid.

:les:
    SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:19 am
  • Imagine this LOLscenario:

AZ beats a demoralized and banged up 49ers team, we handle STL, and AP and Minny make history beating GB.

Now GB has to come back to Seattle to play us again! Mwahaha! There will be so much bawling about the completed Hailmary catch by Golden Tate, It won't even be raining but the field will still be wet...

I know I'm in the minority, but I want that 100% clean, no doubt about it, reception, Hail Mary to mean something!
    chawx
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:27 am
  • ChrisB Bacon wrote:
    I'll take my chances with @WAS/DAL > @ATL to get to the NFC championship game over a home game vs. DAL/WAS/CHI/NYG > @GB.

I know some people on here are screaming for a Hawk vs. GB rematch, but that's just stupid, the Packers are dangerous, experienced and playing as well as any team in the NFL (including the Hawks).......the Redskin Falcon route is the easiest way for us to get to the Superbowl.

Other than RG3 and the emergence of Alfred Morris, the Skins have a very average football team. Plus they have a terrible home field advantage, they're below .500 under Shanahan at home.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:36 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:I know some people on here are screaming for a Hawk vs. GB rematch, but that's just stupid, the Packers are dangerous, experienced and playing as well as any team in the NFL (including the Hawks).......the Redskin Falcon route is the easiest way for us to get to the Superbowl.

Other than RG3 and the emergence of Alfred Morris, the Skins have a very average football team. Plus they have a terrible home field advantage, they're below .500 under Shanahan at home.

Tend to agree though I think a lot of folks are selling Atlanta a bit short too. I also think our defense (and everyone else's) will have enough problems with Griffin that they can hang at least for a while with most anyone. Bottom line though, I think the road to the SB is through GB for the reasons you mentioned, so thoughts on a game with them seem relevant to me. If Seattle beat WAS and then ATL they're likely to have to play GB in GB or SF in SF and GB is the team I would expect in that scenario.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

ImageImage

Proud member of the 38 club
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:53 am
  • hawksfansinceday1 wrote:Tend to agree though I think a lot of folks are selling Atlanta a bit short too. I also think our defense (and everyone else's) will have enough problems with Griffin that they can hang at least for a while with most anyone. Bottom line though, I think the road to the SB is through GB for the reasons you mentioned, so thoughts on a game with them seem relevant to me. If Seattle beat WAS and then ATL they're likely to have to play GB in GB or SF in SF and GB is the team I would expect in that scenario.

Don't get me wrong, Atlanta's a great team, especially on offense. But I think we match up well with them (if we have Sherman and Browner)..........and we've seen the past couple of years how ineffective their home field advantage is in the playoffs.

IMO the Washington/Dallas/Atlanta is a much easier path than going through GB and/or SF.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:03 am
  • I don't think we are giving Minnesota enough credit- I think they could easily pull off the upset against GB, which in this scenario would give us the #2 seed. They are at home, and clinging onto that last wildcard spot for dear life. Plus I am sure everyone will have some extra adrenaline for AP's chance at the rushing record.
    nategreat
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:50 pm
  • I'm not one to go full-on with the conspiracy thing, but if Seattle meets Green Bay in the playoffs there seems to be little chance of anything resembling the kind of straight-up officiating fans and players deserve. The psychological pressure to write a "proper" ending to the story will be too much bear. It won't even be conscious, just a fulfillment of expectations.

Here's what I'm afraid we'll hear with the Hawks on offense: "Holding, No. 76 offense. Ten yard penalty. Repeat second down." And on defense? "Pass interference, No. 25 defense. Ball will be placed at the 1-yard line. First and goal." With the Packers playing so well at the moment, it'll only take a couple three important calls.
    Q: “What is your thing?”
    A: “Lay back, kick back, mind my business, stay in my own lane.”
    VivaEfrenHerrera
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:54 pm
  • 3>5 just for the chance of hosting NFC CCG. For us to host as a 5 seed means the 6 seed has to rally as hard as we have.
    sturg78
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:55 pm
  • SEC FAN wrote: If you can't fallow the conversation than just go stand in the corner, put your hat on and face the wall.

:141847_bnono: :141847_bnono:
    KitsapHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:57 pm
  • nategreat wrote:I don't think we are giving Minnesota enough credit- I think they could easily pull off the upset against GB, which in this scenario would give us the #2 seed. They are at home, and clinging onto that last wildcard spot for dear life. Plus I am sure everyone will have some extra adrenaline for AP's chance at the rushing record.

Minnesota win + SF win = SF 2 seed.

We only get the 2 seed if SF and GB lose
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:13 pm
  • VivaEfrenHerrera wrote:I'm not one to go full-on with the conspiracy thing, but if Seattle meets Green Bay in the playoffs there seems to be little chance of anything resembling the kind of straight-up officiating fans and players deserve. The psychological pressure to write a "proper" ending to the story will be too much bear. It won't even be conscious, just a fulfillment of expectations.

Here's what I'm afraid we'll hear with the Hawks on offense: "Holding, No. 76 offense. Ten yard penalty. Repeat second down." And on defense? "Pass interference, No. 25 defense. Ball will be placed at the 1-yard line. First and goal." With the Packers playing so well at the moment, it'll only take a couple three important calls.

I agree...this game could go either way depending on the Referees. They have virtually overtaken the skill of the players in the game and are now controlling the outcome with their play calling.
    Bigpumpkin
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:21 pm
  • VivaEfrenHerrera wrote:I'm not one to go full-on with the conspiracy thing, but if Seattle meets Green Bay in the playoffs there seems to be little chance of anything resembling the kind of straight-up officiating fans and players deserve. The psychological pressure to write a "proper" ending to the story will be too much bear. It won't even be conscious, just a fulfillment of expectations.

I'm with ya on this. I watched the GB @ Chi game the other week. The refs were a huge factor in not allowing Chi the chance to win that game. And that was @ Chi!
    It's payback, Russell Wilson falling way back
    In the draft, turn nothing into something, still can make that
    Will I
    NET Rookie

Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:24 pm
  • Any scenario in which we get a home game is better than any scenario in which we don't.
    * NET Staff *

Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:18 pm
  • Hawkstorian wrote:Any scenario in which we get a home game is better than any scenario in which we don't.

If NYG somehow squeaks into the playoffs with a #6 seed, I'm going to kill myself. Everybody knows how the Giants play away in the playoffs :P...
    rsm650
    NET Starter

Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:19 pm
  • rsm650 wrote:
    Hawkstorian wrote:Any scenario in which we get a home game is better than any scenario in which we don't.

If NYG somehow squeaks into the playoffs with a #6 seed, I'm going to kill myself. Everybody knows how the Giants play away in the playoffs :P...

Not this year.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!

Follow me on Twitter at @17power
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:24 pm
  • Will I wrote:
    VivaEfrenHerrera wrote:I'm not one to go full-on with the conspiracy thing, but if Seattle meets Green Bay in the playoffs there seems to be little chance of anything resembling the kind of straight-up officiating fans and players deserve. The psychological pressure to write a "proper" ending to the story will be too much bear. It won't even be conscious, just a fulfillment of expectations.

I'm with ya on this. I watched the GB @ Chi game the other week. The refs were a huge factor in not allowing Chi the chance to win that game. And that was @ Chi!

It was Super Bowl XL worthy. I've not seen a game reffed that poorly for an extended period of time (I've seen calls booted, but not just that many in succession and all going one way) in several years. Probably not since XL. It was atrocious. The "fake" refs never put on a show that bad. Not even close.
    R.I.P. Dad. I miss you. You will never be forgotten
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *

Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:47 pm
  • I don't do all the math. But what I'd like to see? Hawks crush the Redskins and clinch ROTY for #3, then beat GB for the sweet, sweet revenge, then play the Falcons for the NFC Championship, to then BEAT Peyton Manning and the Broncos FTW.
    Daddy Love
    NET Bench Warmer

Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:51 pm
  • SharkHawk wrote:
    Will I wrote:
    VivaEfrenHerrera wrote:I'm not one to go full-on with the conspiracy thing, but if Seattle meets Green Bay in the playoffs there seems to be little chance of anything resembling the kind of straight-up officiating fans and players deserve. The psychological pressure to write a "proper" ending to the story will be too much bear. It won't even be conscious, just a fulfillment of expectations.

It was Super Bowl XL worthy. I've not seen a game reffed that poorly for an extended period of time (I've seen calls booted, but not just that many in succession and all going one way) in several years. Probably not since XL. It was atrocious. The "fake" refs never put on a show that bad. Not even close.

Excellent comparison...the offensive pass interference calls against the Baylor kid were atrocious...much like Jackson's phanthom push off in XL.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:40 pm
  • interestingly, the hawks are probably better suited for a snow match than the pack.
    “We need to be challenged, ... and we need to be under the gun to respond.” --Pete Carroll
    nanomoz
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:48 pm
  • get 2 seed play SF at home in NFCC game.
    Win Superbowl
    4/27/13 - I was there #humblethug
    "He looked like a bad man," Sherman said, "and I knew we were alright."
    TheRealDTM
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:59 pm
  • The Redskins are hot. The advantage of beating them first is that we beat the best team in this first round (outside of us) and then get confidence going on the road again. The negative is that we're travelling all the way across the country. The NFL will probably make us play the early game. The other negative would be that the Redskins are hot right now. What, 6 or 7 in a row they've won ? They have confidence right now too, and confidence can make teams dangerous. I'm actually worried about playing the Skins.

I'm rooting for Dallas. (Wait....what ?) Their homefield advantage is terrible, and that stadium is so big, it doesn't get too loud there. We've already beat them down once. Jerry Jones whined and cried and got Tate a fine for his clean block on Lee. I'd really love to stick it to Jerry Jones; I have no problems with the Skins. Our team is confident right now, if we blow out the Rams, we're on an incredible roll. We go on the road in the playoffs, and beat a softer team, we'll have even more.

I'm with others here, and think that the road to the SB goes through GB. I also want to beat the hell out of them, at GB, because Im sick of hearing how they got robbed, while the only TD they got was a total gift as well. I do think that the best time to beat them is after their Bye. Teams almost always come out a bit relaxed after a bye, and I think we could jump all over the Pack after their bye and crush them.
    Hawks46
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:56 pm
  • With our defense and the way the offense has exploded over the past several weeks I like our chances anywhere even at Lambeau.
    BallHawker
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:33 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    ChrisB Bacon wrote:

I know some people on here are screaming for a Hawk vs. GB rematch, but that's just stupid, the Packers are dangerous, experienced and playing as well as any team in the NFL (including the Hawks).......the Redskin Falcon route is the easiest way for us to get to the Superbowl.

If only we' d have beaten miami

.NET Pick The Score - 1st Season

"Somehow a second year quarterback was more ready for this game, than a first ballot hall of famer!?"
    -DMac 104.3 Denver The Fan
    NFSeahawks628
    NET Veteran

Location: Born: Tacoma, WA Current Location: Augusta, GA (Road Hawk)

Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:42 pm
  • Griffin and Washington wouldn't see the ball for more than 24 mins against us. They have no answer for the offense we will throw at them and we will beat them by no less than 10-17pts (IMO).

The Cowboys? Our speed on their fast track of a field will be too much for them. IF Sherm is available, he will shut down Dez on his own. I can't believe these cartoons are even still in the hunt. It's crazy and Garret deserves a ton of credit for keeping it all together when it looked like they were done weeks ago. They're like a watered down version of the Niners PLUS they have Romo. 'Nuff said.

Atlanta is an enigma. Hard to say how this game would play out because you never know which Atlanta team is going to show up. White and Jones create match-up nitemares for everyone that plays them but we answers for them. Hopefully.

I think Green Bay presents the biggest hurdle for us. They're used to winning up there so the crowd don't always get uber-crazy. That will change with our arrival but the weather won't. It will be cold and it's a biting cold that is hard to contend with or prepare for.

In the end, I believe there is no question we can beat them all. That's just a great feeling in it's self.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:09 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information