Fran Tarkenton - "The Mad Scambler"

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
You know I love our guys to death, but could you imagine Russ behind the '05 OL? There wouldn't be many Tarkenton comparisions because, as exciting as that might be, there would not be much need for it.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Russell is more comfortable with being a pocket passer and deep thrower than Fran. Better anticipation, stronger arm and a higher-quicker release. Russell is a steve young, drew brees type hybrid qb who will occasionally pull a Tark move.

PGunning101

Reaction score
Tarkenton himself has endorsed the comparison. Not bad when a Hall of Fame legend (and a notoriously prickly and prideful one at that) is on board:

Daniel Benson ‏@BennyBensonTX
@Fran_Tarkenton: Do you agree or like all the comparisons of Russ Wilson to you the announcers make during his games?
Expand

50m Fran Tarkenton ‏@Fran_Tarkenton
@BennyBensonTX I see a lot of myself in Wilson.
Hide conversation Reply Retweet Favorite More
12:59 AM - 25 Dec 12 · Details

4h Fran Tarkenton ‏@Fran_Tarkenton
.@dangerusswilson proves what I've always known- if you're good enough your big enough. #NFL @Seahawks
Expand

9h Fran Tarkenton ‏@Fran_Tarkenton
Thats what i thought. RT @crawdad64: Russell Wilson is channeling @Fran_Tarkenton tonight
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

Tarkenton was more than just a scrambler too. He retired with the most passing yards and most TD passes at the time. He's still 4th all time in TD's behind only Favre, P. Manning and Marino.

madbohem

Reaction score
i just got a comment on the 20 second, six yard run/scramble of wilson... the harlem globtrotters of the NFL, kind of like it with that music

chris98251

Reaction score
To apprecieate Fran you have to know the conditions he played in, no soft league, receivers were able to be manhandled, no protection for a QB. You also need to know that he played in Minny, before there was a damn dome, he played in sleet, snow and ice a lot, considering the division of Chicago and Green Bay it was no break going on the road in the division. Also Detroit was not such a push over as well and was outside.

So given he played a large portion of his career in the elements and had the success he did you really need to look at the whole situation.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
I saw Tark play a lot and he was most definitely a 1.0 version. Wilson is stronger, faster moves better and makes better reads...even as a rookie. Tark had a habit of forcing it ( he had a good arm )and a lot of yardage came from tosses to Chuck Foreman as well. He was a master at not getting a big hit. Wilson is a 3.0 release