Replacement..errr....Real Refs Screw Green Bay

Barakas

Reaction score
Watching the SF vs GB game and they are reporting that the refs screwed over Green Bay and allowed SF to score a TD. SF had the ball on like the 8 yard line with 3rd and 6 when Kaep went running with the ball. As he stepped out of bounds Mathews hit him late and so a pissed off SF player came in and start roughing up Mathews drawning another flag.

Both flags were "dead ball" flags and what should have happened is that they offset but the play count so it should have been 4th and 2. SF would have most certainly elected to kick a FG considering how early it was in the game. Instead the refs incorrectly said the penalties offset and the down was to be replayed. On the resulting play they scored a TD.

The articles this week should certainly be numerous if GB loses the game by less than 4.

themunn

Reaction score
couldn't have happened to a nicer fanbase

SoHo9erFan

Reaction score
I agree, no excuse for the refs to mess that up.

But, and maybe this is my biased opinion, i think there should have been two flags on Matthews on that play. One fore the late hit, and one for punching Staley in the face. I mean, seriously, Matthews should have been ejected. He threw a punch. That is an automatic ejected. No flag tho..

So while the refs technically screwed it up, I think the overall outcome of the play was just. Obviously that is not how rules work, but yeah..

OP
OP
Barakas

Barakas

Reaction score
SoHo9erFan":2fzw2lt2 said:
I agree, no excuse for the refs to mess that up.

But, and maybe this is my biased opinion, i think there should have been two flags on Matthews on that play. One fore the late hit, and one for punching Staley in the face. I mean, seriously, Matthews should have been ejected. He threw a punch. That is an automatic ejected. No flag tho..

So while the refs technically screwed it up, I think the overall outcome of the play was just. Obviously that is not how rules work, but yeah..

If the SF guy didn't come up and rough up Mathews he wouldn't have retaliated....

Your logic is a little...biased....

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Poor Green Bay. Not only the fail mary, but now the living dead ball foul.

Jville

Reaction score
LOL That Fail Mary tag is a media myth.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Jville":x5sxc6md said:
Yep Tate and possession of the ball before the defender had 2 feet down. The call that was blown on that play was the big time PI on Tate who had a massive push off on the DB.

Jville

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1c1kj7e0 said:
Jville":1c1kj7e0 said:
Yep Tate and possession of the ball before the defender had 2 feet down. The call that was blown on that play was the big time PI on Tate who had a massive push off on the DB.
True. But if the officials had of called a PI on a Hail Mary pass, it would have been a first in NFL history. They just don't call it on Hail Mary passes at the close of games. They let em play.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Maybe, but you have to admit it was one of the most blatant offensive PI's you are going to see! If they would have called Tate on that one, there shouldn't have been much complaining on that particular call.

Richard_Sherman

Reaction score
The refs completely blew that call.

Staley did nothing but get in ClayClayClay's face in defense of his Quarterback. I'd want Russell to do the same for Russell if we were in the same situation. It should have gotten Matthews rung so Green Bay should feel fortunate they didn't lose him for the game, homerism aside.

NinerLifer

Reaction score
If you guys see the replay of Clay Mathew's late hit, and the following incident between him and Joe Staley, you will see that all Joe did was get in his face in defense of Kapernick. Clay then started hitting Staley and for some reason the ref threw the flag against Saley. GB didn't get screwed, Clay got lucky that the ref didn't throw the second flag against him like he should have.

The fact that the refs screwed up, really only corrected their initial mistake of penalizing staley in the first place.

One thing is for sure though...Mathews is a punk ass bitch!

The Battle #83

Reaction score
I saw it once, but it looked like staley wasnt letting go so matthews started to pull staley's facemask and twisting it

Happypuppy

Reaction score
The thing the GB will be really hot about are the amount of holding calls
By SF. I don't mean the subtle hard to see stuff but around the waist from behind and pulling the player down type.

I am rewatching the GB/SF game and it really stands out.

Jville

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3e619uk0 said:
Maybe, but you have to admit it was one of the most blatant offensive PI's you are going to see! If they would have called Tate on that one, there shouldn't have been much complaining on that particular call.

Yes ..... if it had not been comitted on a hail mary pass. Banging around on hail mary passes are a part on NFL history as recorded by NFL films and the networks. Making the Seahawks the sole historical exception would have drawn a lot of coverage. Such an exception would have been a big story and a black eye for the league.

How if the league announces they are changing the convention, all teams will adjust. But they have not done so. So going forward, I would expect to continue to see more in the way of banging around during hail mary passes including blatant examples.

Jville

Reaction score
Happypuppy":2gfwgtmv said:
By SF. I don't mean the subtle hard to see stuff but around the waist from behind and pulling the player down type.

Look for that stunning hand to a head (helmet) during the final series in a replay. Steered the Packer defender off using that hand to the helmet. No call.

lvnginhwktwn

Reaction score
Happypuppy":28gccka9 said:

Alot of missed holding calls that should have been called on GB as well.

look@dafilm

Reaction score
Oh well. Matthews doesn't make a garbage late, dirty, ejection-worthy hit on a player so far out of bounds he might as well have tackled Vic Fangio, it doesn't give an opportunity for the scuffle for the refs to wrongly call a penalty on Joe Staley, which doesn't give an opportunity for the refs to make their "mistake" on the off-setting penalties call.

no sympathy from for the garbage Packers who were obviously out there to prove a point: that they weren't soft, after that absolute SPANKING they received to end their season back in January.

Bummer

SharkHawk

Reaction score
Mathews hit wasn't as bad as all are claiming. He was IN THE AIR before Kap went out of bounds. He just as easily could have planted that foot on the sidelines and tightroped into the endzone.

Mathews big mistake was that he didn't just knock into him, but rather corralled him and took it to the ground. Staley wasn't the egregious response. Somebody came in from behind him (I believe it was Boldin) and shoved somebody straight in the back. Bolding crackbacked somebody completely out of the play later on as well, which Golden Tate did do Sean Lee last year and was flagged for it even though he was a part of a live play. In the Boldin case the player had no chance to make the play, and he's lucky he didn't get busted. He did it twice and got called for neither.

The real boneheaded mistake of the whole thing was McCarthy letting that play take place at all. He could have accepted the penalty and it would have been a 4th and a long 1, where SF likely would have kicked. He made a stupid call, and gave SF an extra crack at the endzone. His thinking? I have no idea, unless he figured SF would go for it or he knew somehow they'd create a turnover. I say you thank the defense for holding on third and force them to kick. Dummy.

NinerLifer

Reaction score
As an experienced LB, Clay knows exactly where that sideline is, and he knew that Kap would be out of bounds before his leap would make contact with him. He is an idiot that was trying to follow through with his claims he had made during the week, and he paid the price. He is lucky that the ref incorrectly flagged Joe Staley instead of throwing the second flag on himself as well, as he deserved.