Looking to visit Seattle

solekeeper

Reaction score
As a long time Seahawks fan, I will finally be able to make it up there to see a game.

I will be coming from i believe the farthest point away from Seattle in the U.S. which is Miami, FL. If it isn't the farthest, it sure as hell seems like it.

Anyway, i want to make a trip up there in January maybe december. Doesn't really matter. I want to experience centurylink in all it's glory hearing the 12's scream in the pouring rain/snow.

What I need to know from you guys is, where should/could i stay that is close to Clink? Are restaurants close by, how is Seattle structured, will i need a car for moving around? Or is everything walking distance? (Manhattan like?)

I will probably fly in on a Saturday, leaving out on a tuesday. So maybe monday I can do something along with my cousins who will be flying in with me. Any suggestions? Outdoors stuff is a YES, down for anything.

I hope to gather some valuable input from you guys, this trip will be epic. I have never been to the west coast, and I want to make my first trip memorable. Thanks all!

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
I would say that you can fly in, take a cab, the rail, or a Lyft in to a hotel in the downtown/Pioneer Square area, and just walk around if you want to stay in that area without driving. There are a number of hotels in that area. Seattle is split into neighborhoods. The stadium is in SoDo, so you can stay in a hotel in SoDo, Pioneer Square, Downtown, or Capitol Hill and be able to walk or take a short bus ride over.

If you want to drive, you can get to a number of trails if you enjoy hiking. http://www.wta.org/

Fishing is everywhere, too, if you enjoy that. There are also a number of state parks that are nearby with a car - I prefer Twin Falls myself, but you have lots of options.

seahawk Dan

Reaction score
solekeeper":3unvtsim said:
As a long time Seahawks fan, I will finally be able to make it up there to see a game.

I will be coming from i believe the farthest point away from Seattle in the U.S. which is Miami, FL. If it isn't the farthest, it sure as hell seems like it.

Anyway, i want to make a trip up there in January maybe december. Doesn't really matter. I want to experience centurylink in all it's glory hearing the 12's scream in the pouring rain/snow.

What I need to know from you guys is, where should/could i stay that is close to Clink? Are restaurants close by, how is Seattle structured, will i need a car for moving around? Or is everything walking distance? (Manhattan like?)

I will probably fly in on a Saturday, leaving out on a tuesday. So maybe monday I can do something along with my cousins who will be flying in with me. Any suggestions? Outdoors stuff is a YES, down for anything.

I hope to gather some valuable input from you guys, this trip will be epic. I have never been to the west coast, and I want to make my first trip memorable. Thanks all!

yes I would say also stay in sea tac and take the rail every were I have season tickets live in Vancouver bc , taking the rail train you do not have to travel anywhere by car, which is a nightmare on game day , the rail drops you right in front of Century Link. THE CLINK.

pmedic920

Reaction score
I have come to really like the Moore Hotel.
It's an old building. Not super fancy but vey comfortable. 2 blks from PikesMarket,2 blocks from rail station. Walking distance to C-link, space needle, water front and tons of shopping.
90 bucks a night for reg room, $140 for a suite.
Double check because they do have some European style rooms where you share a bath room.
Well worth the money if you trying to stay on a budget.

RiverDog

Reaction score
how is Seattle structured?

Here's a tip to assist with navigation in downtown Seattle. If you remember the phrase "Jesus Christ Made Seattle Under Protest", you can figure out where you are at in relation to other downtown streets.

The first letter in the words of that phrase correspond with the first letter in the following streets, which starting from the south end of downtown are arranged as follows:

James and Jefferson, Cherry and Columbia, Madison and Marion, Seneca and Spring, University and Union, Pike and Pine.

It's worked for me on a number of occasions where I had too much to drink and couldn't find my hotel.

grizbob

Reaction score
pmedic920":2jhaoeg0 said:
It's an old building. Not super fancy but very comfortable. 2 blocks from Pikes Market,2 blocks from rail station. Walking distance to C-link, space needle, water front and tons of shopping.
Double check because they do have some European style rooms where you share a bath room.

:13:

45Hawker

Reaction score
Hey Solekeeper. I used to live in Seattle, and also worked for many companies based out of there. I was a season ticket holder for a few years also. What I would do if going to Seattle for a game:

Take a taxi from Seatac airport to Downtown (will be about $40). No reason to get a car. You can walk everywhere in Seattle and to Clink for the game. There's not much going on outside the city in the winter-time, so don't worry about a car. If you want to get out of the city for a day-trip, there's an Avis right downtown where you can rent a car for the day.

Lots of restaurants downtown. Let me know if you need recommendations.

Hotel:

Look for a hotel by Pike Place Market. This is a great area, and you'll be walking distance to Downtown, Belltown, Pike Place, Westlake, Waterfront, etc. Hotel recommendations: The Inn at the Market, Mayflower Park, Washington Athletic Club, Sheraton Seattle. You can walk from this area to Clink in about 15 minutes.

If you are looking for more budget-minded hotel options, let me know.

As far as possibilities on Monday with your family, you might want to consider doing a sightseeing cruise, which would be a great way to see the city and neighborhoods and the unique feel of Puget Sound living:

http://www.argosycruises.com/sightseeing-cruises/

Another option would be to get a car and make a visit to Snoqualmie Falls and then drive up to Snoqualmie Pass. Being from Florida, I think you'll be pretty amazed and enjoy seeing some elevation/mountains. Maybe head all the way to Roslyn, WA and eat at the Brick Tavern.

Good luck, and PM me if you have any questions.

BTW, I live in New Orleans, but have a little house in Vero Beach. Maybe we can hook up for a game in FL this winter. Go Hawks!

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
45Hawker":1uwjdoqd said:
Hey Solekeeper. I used to live in Seattle, and also worked for many companies based out of there. I was a season ticket holder for a few years also. What I would do if going to Seattle for a game:

Take a taxi from Seatac airport to Downtown (will be about $40). No reason to get a car. You can walk everywhere in Seattle and to Clink for the game. There's not much going on outside the city in the winter-time, so don't worry about a car. If you want to get out of the city for a day-trip, there's an Avis right downtown where you can rent a car for the day.

Lots of restaurants downtown. Let me know if you need recommendations.

Hotel:

Look for a hotel by Pike Place Market. This is a great area, and you'll be walking distance to Downtown, Belltown, Pike Place, Westlake, Waterfront, etc. Hotel recommendations: The Inn at the Market, Mayflower Park, Washington Athletic Club, Sheraton Seattle. You can walk from this area to Clink in about 15 minutes.

If you are looking for more budget-minded hotel options, let me know.

As far as possibilities on Monday with your family, you might want to consider doing a sightseeing cruise, which would be a great way to see the city and neighborhoods and the unique feel of Puget Sound living:

http://www.argosycruises.com/sightseeing-cruises/

Another option would be to get a car and make a visit to Snoqualmie Falls and then drive up to Snoqualmie Pass. Being from Florida, I think you'll be pretty amazed and enjoy seeing some elevation/mountains. Maybe head all the way to Roslyn, WA and eat at the Brick Tavern.

Good luck, and PM me if you have any questions.

BTW, I live in New Orleans, but have a little house in Vero Beach. Maybe we can hook up for a game in FL this winter. Go Hawks!

40 bucks for a taxi is a rip off. Take the light rail from the airport into down town for $2.50.

45Hawker

Reaction score
Seahawks1983":1ssyapnj said:
40 bucks for a taxi is a rip off. Take the light rail from the airport into down town for $2.50.
True, but LINK takes 40+ minutes. A taxi takes like 17 minutes and drops you (and your bags) off directly in front of your hotel. Another example of how true that "life is compromise" saying really is. :D

pmedic920

Reaction score
pmedic920":279u7w12 said:
It's an old building. Not super fancy but vey comfortable. 2 blks from PikesMarket,2 blocks from rail station. Walking distance to C-link, space needle, water front and tons of shopping.

I'll add this.
We did rent a car this last trip. Picked it up at airport. Last trip I was alone and rode rail to last stop. 2 blks from the Moore.
We did a clipper cruise to FridayHarbor with whale watch. It was awesome. We also did a day trip drive to SnoqualmieFalls and Mt. Rainier.
15e02f94c5952acd65dbae2fc035794f.jpg

Deception Pass (clipper)
60102c80d940d7c9fb39b2b3c0146bd6.jpg

Mt. Rainier nat park.
59c61af5824fbd31ef7b01fcec251664.jpg

Snoqualmie Falls
3df7cff6a1c92cf307d8c102fbfaf591.jpg

Ballard Locks

One block from the Moore is a large parking garage that has 3-4 car rental companies in it.

Chapow

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":22bsj62y said:
I would say that you can fly in, take a cab, the rail, or a Lyft in to a hotel in the downtown/Pioneer Square area, and just walk around if you want to stay in that area without driving. There are a number of hotels in that area. Seattle is split into neighborhoods. The stadium is in SoDo, so you can stay in a hotel in SoDo, Pioneer Square, Downtown, or Capitol Hill and be able to walk or take a short bus ride over.

If you want to drive, you can get to a number of trails if you enjoy hiking. http://www.wta.org/

Fishing is everywhere, too, if you enjoy that. There are also a number of state parks that are nearby with a car - I prefer Twin Falls myself, but you have lots of options.

Just a quick note for the OP. While the hiking is spectacular in Washington, pretty much anything over about the 2000 foot elevation (much lower some years) will most likely be covered in snow in December and it almost certainly will by January. And not just a little snow, but feet of snow. The average annual snowfall for Snoqualmie Pass, less than an hour east of Seattle and sitting at just 3000 feet, is well over 400 inches a year.

That said, you could always rent some snowshoes. :D

Greenhell

Reaction score
45Hawker":3jwc8y63 said:
Seahawks1983":3jwc8y63 said:
True, but LINK takes 40+ minutes. A taxi takes like 17 minutes and drops you (and your bags) off directly in front of your hotel. Another example of how true that "life is compromise" saying really is. :D

True but he's never been to Seattle the extra time can be enjoyed seeing parts of the city even if its by light rail. That's what the wife and I did a few years ago. Best couple of bucks I've ever spent.

Chapow

Reaction score
seahawk Dan":2o8x33pz said:
yes I would say also stay in sea tac and take the rail every were I have season tickets live in Vancouver bc , taking the rail train you do not have to travel anywhere by car, which is a nightmare on game day , the rail drops you right in front of Century Link. THE CLINK.

If you stayed in Seattle you wouldn't have to travel by car on game day either because you could walk or take a bus. I can't believe anyone would suggest that a person visiting Seattle for the first time should stay in SeaTac. Eww.

Seattle is an awesome city with tons of things to see and do.

SeaTac is a suburb a half hour south of Seattle with an airport and hotels.

I can't for the life of me imagine anyone having a better time staying in SeaTac over Seattle.

Greenhell

Reaction score
solekeeper":356okxtd said:

The wife and I made our 1st time trip about 4 years ago. We flew in from Colorado. The wife and I stood at a La Quinta Inn in Belltown within walking distance of the Space Needle, The Experience Music project, The Duck Rides and Lake Union. Ate breakfast at a greasy spoon known as The Hurricane Cafe and had many a beer at The 5 Point Cafe. The best way to take in the city? Walk it! When we got tired we jumped on the bus, which was free then, or took a cab.

If they still do it, take a tour of The Clink! 3 plus hours of a tour that showed all the ins and outs of Mecca. Visited the famous Pike Place Market and all that downtown has to offer. Had great seafood at The Crab Pot and drank many beers at The Hawks Nest pregame.

The closer you are to the stadium the more expensive its going to be for a hotel. If money is no object then then down town Seattle is your oyster.

We had a fantastic 1st time in Seattle! We went back the following year and look forward to our next trip.
66678_495234231146_1688459_n.jpg

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Also, I know that people really like the Silver Cloud right across from Safeco/Century Link if you're looking for a hotel.

Also also, I mentioned it before, but getting a Lyft might be cheaper than a taxi. I've used the service to get around San Diego AND to get from my house to Sea-Tac here, and it worked really nicely.

OP
OP
S

solekeeper

Reaction score
thanks for all the input guys, tons of info to dissect.

I may try and hop on the light rail from the airport to my hotel. Not sure which hotel to stay in as of yet. I want something classy, money isn't really an option for this amenity.

Or since I may consider doing something on monday, i might just rent a car when i arrive and be done with it?

Latest posts