The Auburn of Boom

Sonny6killer

Reaction score
On the drafting of fellow Auburnites Nehmiah Pritchett and DJ James:

“It wasn’t necessarily scheme, quite honestly,” Schneider said. “It was just the skill set. With Pritchett, the speed. DJ, he can play nickel, he can play outside, too. It wasn’t necessarily a scheme evaluation. They’re both talented cover guys.

Shaquem and Shaquill Griffin vibes...it's a great story. That said, not sure either of the Auburn duo see the field. Just sayin'....

toffee

Reaction score

“It wasn’t necessarily scheme, quite honestly,” Schneider said. “It was just the skill set. With Pritchett, the speed. DJ, he can play nickel, he can play outside, too. It wasn’t necessarily a scheme evaluation. They’re both talented cover guys.

Shaquem and Shaquill Griffin vibes...it's a great story. That said, not sure either of the Auburn duo see the field. Just sayin'....
Although it happened in the late round, drafting two CBs still surprised some of us.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
Although it happened in the late round, drafting two CBs still surprised some of us.
I am not surprised it’s obvious MM is not satisfied with the current CB room at least for depth. There is a good chance that Witherspoon is given the Kyle Hamilton role so possibly a position change to safety

Shane Falco

Reaction score
Didn't surprise me one bit either. Mike Jackson, Artie Burns and Tre Brown are all UFA's after the season. Kind of expected it. It's was the smart thing to do imo. Less FA guys they have to sign going into next years draft.

chrispy

Reaction score
We know we have talent back there. Last year was a pretty big drop off from the year before. So the big question is why that happened. Was is mostly the lack of a passrush, Sophomore slump, communication from different personnel combinations, attitude, opposing Os film study...??? I'm sure MM has decided for himself. To me, it's a different (and better) problem than the other D position groups where one could argue there's not enough talent.

Whatever the core problem is, some youthful competition is likely to improve the situation. I'm expecting a vastly improved CB group performance in 24. Personally, I don't think these Auburn rookies will be able to get much playtime, but they can push TWoolen, MJackson, TBrown, CBryant to take another step forward. ...and that's just as beneficial from my perspective.

Off-subject but....
I think MM has a big job in front of him, but it's (in my opinion) much different than most new Head Coaches. Most teams hiring a new coach are lacking in talent with a few exceptional superstars from being at the top of the draft for multiple years. I think this team has talent, in fact multiple really high-level talents in some positions, but need some scheme creativity and old-school coaching. If he can identify the needs correctly group-to-grouo/player-to-player,

sutz

Reaction score
I’ll hold off on assessing them until practices and preseason where we get a better idea of where they fit in our system but I just had to say that If I never hear the phrase “auburn of boom” again it’ll be too soon.
As a graduate of Auburn High School, I don't share your disfavor with that term. :LOL:

(To be totally honest, it is a little clumsy rolling off the tongue. ;))

hawkfan68

Reaction score
This gives me the Ben Obomanu and Courtney Taylor vibes....both players (WRs from Auburn) were underwhelming. Hopefully it's not the same case for these guys. I thought they were wasted picks as CB was further down the list of needs in my opinion. They already had Artie Burns, Mike Jackson, Tre Brown, Coby Bryant, Andrew Whittaker for depth at CB.

TransGenderHawkFan

Reaction score
This gives me the Ben Obomanu and Courtney Taylor vibes....both players (WRs from Auburn) were underwhelming. Hopefully it's not the same case for these guys. I thought they were wasted picks as CB was further down the list of needs in my opinion. They already had Artie Burns, Mike Jackson, Tre Brown, Coby Bryant, Andrew Whittaker for depth at CB.
Three of the depth CB's that you mentioned are UFA's after the 2024 season.

kidhawk

Reaction score
As a graduate of Auburn High School, I don't share your disfavor with that term. :LOL:

(To be totally honest, it is a little clumsy rolling off the tongue. ;))

It’s nothing personal to Auburn but there was one Legion of Boom here and as you say the Auburn phrase just doesn’t sound right. I’d kind of like to see if either even play before announcing nicknames. Either way I thin Boom is off the table

CPHawk

Reaction score
They are both late round picks. Not expecting much from them.

Jville

Reaction score

Welcome!

An enthusiastic 1st post and simultaneous 1st thread by a 6+ month old lurker.

By the way: Was your post in anyway motivated by the on going linked poll below? Have you voted?