Sherm or Earl?

Who is the the NFL Defensive Player of the Year?

• Richard Sherman

Votes: 33 35.5%
  • Earl Thomas

Votes: 56 60.2%
  • Other- comment who below

Votes: 4 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Donk70

Reaction score
As I see it, we have the two top choices for NFL DPOY on this team, but who do you give it to? Before I get jumped on, yes I realize that St. Louis has a strong contender as well in Quinn and Indy in Mathis. However, for my dollar, we have the 2 top defenders in the league.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Hate these either/or threads re: our own players. I think they both made a fair case for it, but at the end of the day, it is hard to fully quantify either of their contributions. It will go to a sack artist like Quinn or Mathis like it usually does, because national media types are pretty lazy with actual game study.

McGruff

Reaction score
Don't forget Luke "I mop up tackle five yards downfield" keuchly . . .

I'd pick Earl, but int he end I think it will go to Kuechly. Earl and Sherm will split the Seattle vote. Quinn and Mathis will split the sack vote, and Kuechly, as usual, will win by ignorant default.

hawkfannj

Reaction score
Earl gets my vote . With out his coverage abilitys this defense wouldn't not look as dominant as it does.

OP
OP
Donk70

Donk70

Reaction score
McGruff":1jg7n81q said:
Don't forget Luke "I mop up tackle five yards downfield" keuchly . . .

I'd pick Earl, but int he end I think it will go to Kuechly. Earl and Sherm will split the Seattle vote. Quinn and Mathis will split the sack vote, and Kuechly, as usual, will win by ignorant default.
He's no Bobby Wagner

DavidSeven

Reaction score
hawkfannj":gokh05m8 said:
Earl gets my vote . With out his coverage abilitys this defense wouldn't not look as dominant as it does.

You could say the exact same thing about Sherman.

kidhawk

Reaction score
I think both Thomas and Sherman are the best in the NFL at their position, but our defense isn't possible without Earl's talents and there's nobody to plug into his spot. Richard is the best at what he does, but we can still play our defense with a Jeremy Lane or WT III out there, so my vote goes to Earl.

Of course none of our votes count anyway, and I believe that too many actual voters will split between the two and cause neither of them to actually get it this year and that's a shame

fridayfrenzy

Reaction score
I think it is between Lavonte David and Earl Thomas. With the season the Seahawks had compared to the Bucs, this is Earl's to lose.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3cojmjya said:
hawkfannj":3cojmjya said:

Byron Maxwell disagrees.

Sherman is free to play aggressive and take chances BECAUSE Earl has so much range and uses it so well. I'm not saying he's not a solid corner in his own right. He'd be the #1 CB on any team in the league. But Earl is what elevates the guy from solid to near-invincible. Sherm has made such comments himself.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2qghkevh said:
DavidSeven":2qghkevh said:
hawkfannj":2qghkevh said:

Byron Maxwell disagrees.

Sherman is free to play aggressive and take chances BECAUSE Earl has so much range and uses it so well. I'm not saying he's not a solid corner in his own right. He'd be the #1 CB on any team in the league. But Earl is what elevates the guy from solid to near-invincible. Sherm has made such comments himself.

I would have agreed in the seasons before this, but Sherman has been left out on an island almost exclusively this year. When was the last time Earl saved a play for him over-the-top? His trust in Sherman is also what has allowed him to play closer to the LOS this year and rack up tackles. Earl is benefitting from Sherm's blanket coverage just as much as Sherm is benefitting from Earl's range.

As far as Maxwell, he's just playing great in his own right. Better than Thurmond and Browner have played this year.

Killa Kam

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2q4g4fxi said:
DavidSeven":2q4g4fxi said:
hawkfannj":2q4g4fxi said:

Byron Maxwell disagrees.

I dont disagree with most of your statement that Earl allows us to play a little more aggressively but most of Shermans interceptions dont come from him just taking chances, if so he'd be getting burn a lot more than he does. They come from him being exactly where he should be and having terrific hands. And if we're being honest most of Earls picks are our lanky corners tipping balls to him, WT3 week 2, BB against the Cardinals, the tip drill int he had in Houston and lastly the last one against the Giants?

Do you really believe Sherman without Earl is just "solid"? We've seen Sherman literally SHUTDOWN some great receivers in the last 2.5 years, hes a top 3 corner in this league a hell of a lot better than just solid.

LargentFan

Reaction score
They definitely benefit from eachother's presence. It's hard to say who is truly more valuable. Isn't that a great problem to have?
My vote goes to Sherm. A third of the field is just useless to opposing qbs.
That said, no one's going to see it as robbery if Earl gets it. Damn I hope we can keep both of them.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
I have a feeling that Earl and Sherm are gonna be snubs for the award. Luke Kuechly seems to be the favorite for many which is disappointing.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Expect a letdown, 12's. It will likely go to Kuechly.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Donk70":3fgxq8ni said:
As I see it, we have the two top choices for NFL DPOY on this team, but who do you give it to? Before I get jumped on, yes I realize that St. Louis has a strong contender as well in Quinn and Indy in Mathis. However, for my dollar, we have the 2 top defenders in the league.
The fact that the WHOLE Seahawks Defense is rated at #1, and we're sitting at the top of the NFC WEST, it's hardly a secret that our Legion of Boom Secondary is probably the biggest reason they are on the short list for DPOY.
Just think about it for a minute, Richard Sherman really has no equal in the League, nor is there the likes of another "Duke Of Earl" Thomas anywhere else in the NFL either, but what get's me pumped, is seeing Kam Chancellor playing through injury last Season, and is now pushing for notoriety, and kicking ass this Year.
As to who I would vote for as DPOY?, can't say you could make a bad pick with either of these guys that are in the running.

General Manager

Reaction score
Sherman he has to play singled up man coverage every game. That's one of the toughest assignments in the NFL. He can also play the run and then there's all his interceptions and the fact that they basically can't throw to his side of the field .

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Both!?

Can't have one without the other, best in the NFL!

BOOOOYAHHHHH!

Latest posts