This compete thing is catching on around the league

seabowl

Reaction score
It's interesting how in just a few years philosophies have changed around the league. When Pete first came in I and many others weren't so sure how his rah rah style and make the team by earning it would go over with players. Now that he has proven his point I am seeing other coaches use the compete wording when talking about their teams. I believe Rex Ryan said the other day something to the affect of he was looking for his players to compete while I'm pretty sure Jacksonville is taking the same approach with Gus in charge.

One thing is for sure is that with the release of M Rob and now looking like Winfield too, you have to earn your way to play (plus be cap friendly) every year on this team and others too.

hawk79

Reaction score
seabowl":2lx235ey said:
It's interesting how in just a few years philosophies have changed around the league. When Pete first came in I and many others weren't so sure how his rah rah style and make the team by earning it would go over with players. Now that he has proven his point I am seeing other coaches use the compete wording when talking about their teams. I believe Rex Ryan said the other day something to the affect of he was looking for his players to compete while I'm pretty sure Jacksonville is taking the same approach with Gus in charge.

One thing is for sure is that with the release of M Rob and now looking like Winfield too, you have to earn your way to play (plus be cap friendly) every year on this team and others too.
I hear it from teams but I think most of it is window dressing. There are very few teams like Seattle out there who MEAN it.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
It's like teams that say they want to be physical. Then proceed to throw the football 50 times a game.

Everyone wants to compete. But saying isn't doing.

olyfan63

Reaction score
When you MEAN it, you do things like start a too-short 3rd round rookie at QB and bench a high-priced free agent.
When you MEAN it, you bench the #4 overall pick Aaron Curry in favor of a rookie 4th round pick (KJ Wright) who is outplaying him.
When you MEAN it, you start a converted DL J. R. Sweezy at OL over a veteran John Moffitt.
When you MEAN it, you start an UDFA receiver Doug Baldwin and target him enough to wind up as your leading receiver.
When you MEAN it, it means walking away from higher draft choices that are being consistently outperformed by UDFA and late-round choices. Moffitt, Durham, E.J. Wilson

For coaches to be able to MEAN it, it means not caring what the "pundits" say, and having the full support of the entire organization. I just think comparatively few coaches will have the support of their owners and GMs to do things the way Pete (and John) do. Other owners do things like insist that their high-priced free agent signing be the starter.
There will be a lot of lip service and platitudes about "competition" though.

Tical21

Reaction score
Compete has been around since the first athletic team played their first game. Pete Carroll didn't invent the concept, he simply made it his slogan, as have thousands of coaches before him.

pmedic920

Reaction score
olyfan63":yr86c6lk said:
When you MEAN it, you do things like start a too-short 3rd round rookie at QB and bench a high-priced free agent.
When you MEAN it, you bench the #4 overall pick Aaron Curry in favor of a rookie 4th round pick (KJ Wright) who is outplaying him.
When you MEAN it, you start a converted DL J. R. Sweezy at OL over a veteran John Moffitt.
When you MEAN it, you start an UDFA receiver Doug Baldwin and target him enough to wind up as your leading receiver.
When you MEAN it, it means walking away from higher draft choices that are being consistently outperformed by UDFA and late-round choices. Moffitt, Durham, E.J. Wilson

For coaches to be able to MEAN it, it means not caring what the "pundits" say, and having the full support of the entire organization. I just think comparatively few coaches will have the support of their owners and GMs to do things the way Pete (and John) do. Other owners do things like insist that their high-priced free agent signing be the starter.
There will be a lot of lip service and platitudes about "competition" though.

Very well said.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Tical21":gscvayzc said:
Compete has been around since the first athletic team played their first game. Pete Carroll didn't invent the concept, he simply made it his slogan, as have thousands of coaches before him.

Carroll seems to have a way of going about it that is much more than a slogan.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Tical21":1dhew10g said:
Read OLYFAN63, just ahead of your post, but only if you want to see the truth on the matter, otherwise, just go on believing that you know what you're sayin'.

Subzero717

Reaction score
This compete is nothing new. Carroll is a good coach fact I think he is a terrific coach but he didn't invent competing. The Chargers cut Meachum when he is owed 5mill. The Eagles cut a high drafted gaurd. The Niners cut ties and traded last years 1st rounder. Its not because they got the idea to do so because of what Carroll is doing in Seattle. Its because they want to win too.

b3liever

Reaction score
PC is the real deal. I agree completely with OLYFAN63 on this. Pete really doesn't care where you were drafted, or if you were drafted at all. If you can play at top level, you are in.