power rankings

chevelle03

Reaction score
I really don't understand why the 49ers are on the top of all the power rankings. Their secondary and receiving corps are really questionable right now. But it will be fun to see them slide down the rankings every week once the season starts...

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
Healthy Seahawks receivers: Sidney Rice, Golden Tate, Doug Baldwin

Healthy 49ers receives: Anquan Boldin, AJ Jenkins, Kyle Williams

What's their counter to the Legion of Boom?

Honestly here is the breakdown:

QB - no advantage (though I think Wilson will prove to be much better this season)

RB - advantage Seahawks

WR/TE - advantage Seahawks

OL - advantage 49ers (and this isn't even close)

DL - no advantage (yes the Niners were much better here last year but with again and changes in personel I see this as equal now)

LB - advantage 49ers

DB - advantage Seahawks (and this isn't even close)

ST - who knows

Overall - advantage goes to whichever team can stay healthiest during the course of the year

Stephen SeaHawking

Reaction score
The 49ers should be #1. With Harvin injured, Irvin suspended, and Clemons/Miller iffy...I'm OK with giving them the top spot going into next season. We play better as underdogs anyhow.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
The Whiners are the best team in the NFL... that is, until they go 1-3 in their first four games.

I can't wait until all the chimp screaming starts.

hawker84

Reaction score
IBleedBlueAndGreen":14ymsinq said:
Healthy Seahawks receivers: Sidney Rice, Golden Tate, Doug Baldwin

Healthy 49ers receives: Anquan Boldin, AJ Jenkins, Kyle Williams

What's their counter to the Legion of Boom?

Honestly here is the breakdown:

QB - no advantage (though I think Wilson will prove to be much better this season)

RB - advantage Seahawks

WR/TE - advantage Seahawks

OL - advantage 49ers (and this isn't even close)

DL - no advantage (yes the Niners were much better here last year but with again and changes in personel I see this as equal now)

LB - advantage 49ers

DB - advantage Seahawks (and this isn't even close)

ST - who knows

Overall - advantage goes to whichever team can stay healthiest during the course of the year

TE - advantage SF ( and it isn't even close) the rest i agree with....

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Why wouldn't they be at the top of the polls. They made it to the superbowl last year, have most of their team intact. Where as the reigning champs lost a lot of starters. So again..why wouldn't they be? We should be very glad in all these polls we're only lower by a very small margin.

hawker84

Reaction score
We went through the same thing with the last power rankings, rather than look at the individual positions, i look at the match ups

QB's is a wash, they both will be much improved and hard to defend.

Our Recievers against their secondary - Seattle advantage

Our Secondary against their recievers - Seattle advantage

Our Linebackers/ safties / slot CB against VD - SF advantage - based only on last season and our first pre-season game, we have shown a tendancy to have problems covering TE's and backs...

Our running game against their D line / linebackers - Seattle advantage, until they stop us, advantage us

their running game against our d line/ linebackers - SF advantage, same reason

ST - advantage, who knows with Leon gone and Harvin out, who'll step up.

just based on these comparisons, i say Seattle has the matchup advantages, the QB play and running games are a wash, but the passing game goes to Seattle.

sutz

Reaction score
Power rankings are for :snack: value. Not much else.

kobebryant

Reaction score
I have no problem with the 49ers on top. Top dog of the best division in the NFL until proven otherwise. I think the Hawks will be better, but there is nothing wrong with ranking the 49ers,Ravens or Falcons higher (two from the Superb Owl, and the team that knocked the Hawks off). Stay hungry.

OP
OP
chevelle03

chevelle03

Reaction score
I'm not saying we should be number one. In fact I'm glad we're not, the more talking heads jump of the band wagon the better. I just think the Niners have had a pretty poor offseason, and everyone seems to be ignoring that.

kearly

Reaction score
The 49ers finished 4th in DVOA last season, behind Seattle, Denver, and New England, with a fairly large buffer between 3rd place New England and 4th place San Fran. The difference between Seattle's (1st place) DVOA and the 49ers was greater than the difference between Atlanta and St. Louis.

Also, Seattle had some major additions this offseason with no real losses. The 49ers had substantial losses, including one of the league's best safeties. They countered with a "build through the draft" type offseason, which resulted in added depth but gained little in terms of immediate impact. Denver also had a very nice offseason. I'd put Seattle/Denver first and second and the 49ers would be battling for third place with New England and Green Bay.

The 49ers are over-rated mostly because people are in love with the idea of a pure college styled NFL QB right now, which CK is the epitome of, and because they nearly won the Superbowl. That plus, it's not like the 49ers are massively over-rated. They are a damn good team with the NFL's best coach. But yeah, I wouldn't have them #1 personally. I doubt FO would either.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I hate the Niners, but you're right, they are damn good. They were in the Superbowl, hard to argue. And ratings mean nothing, this isn't the BCS. I'm not sure he's the best coach, but he's pretty good.
Man that hurt to say :pukeface:

OP
OP
chevelle03

chevelle03

Reaction score
Yeah, it seems to be all about Kaep when it comes to the Niners. I'm still not sold on him, I think we may have seen the best of him last year... at least that's what I'm hoping.

HawkWow

Reaction score
No homerism here (honestly): I don't see Wilson and kaep as equal, no way, no how. Now, while both on the field, I think it's close, but it appears to me that Kaep is no intellectual match for RW and no position calls for a more cerebral player than QB.

Kaep is clearly full of himself (after a half season) while Wilson remains humble and a student.

Kaep's not going to let the game come to him. Mark my words, Kaep is going to commit numerous errors forcing the game and I will bet even money that he doesn't play the entire schedule. He has made up his mind that he is a "superstar" and will look to prove as much every time a play breaks down.

OTOH, Wilson takes what the defense gives and looks for a sensible exit, or throws the ball away. Let's not forget his goals shown on the RRR...the one that matters most to me, and you, is "Health". Wilson is just smart. He knows without him we are just better than a .500 team. I would rather lose the game than our QB and I doubt Kaep sees things that way...a loss could very well represent one less photo op for him.

A lot of 9er fans in here and to you I say stop wasting your time. We are not the enemy. Spend your time in the Rams forum...they want to steal your #2 spot in the NFC W.

OP
OP
chevelle03

chevelle03

Reaction score
HawkWow":dwxyyhhl said:
No homerism here (honestly): I don't see Wilson and kaep as equal, no way, no how. Now, while both on the field, I think it's close, but it appears to me that Kaep is no intellectual match for RW and no position calls for a more cerebral player than QB.

Kaep is clearly full of himself (after a half season) while Wilson remains humble and a student.

Kaep's not going to let the game come to him. Mark my words, Kaep is going to commit numerous errors forcing the game and I will bet even money that he doesn't play the entire schedule. He has made up his mind that he is a "superstar" and will look to prove as much every time a play breaks down.

OTOH, Wilson takes what the defense gives and looks for a sensible exit, or throws the ball away. Let's not forget his goals shown on the RRR...the one that matters most to me, and you, is "Health". Wilson is just smart. He knows without him we are just better than a .500 team. I would rather lose the game than our QB and I doubt Kaep sees things that way...a loss could very well represent one less photo op for him.

A lot of 9er fans in here and to you I say stop wasting your time. We are not the enemy. Spend your time in the Rams forum...they want to steal your #2 spot in the NFC W.

well said

Hawks46

Reaction score
I'm not really worried about the power rankings, I really look at individual and team matchups.

Both the Seahawks and the 49ers return most of their squads intact. With these squads last year, in two games, the 49ers averaged 13 points per game against us. The Seahawks averaged 24 ppg against the 49ers. Based on this, our defensive matchups favor us against their offense, while our offense has a much easier time moving the ball and scoring against their defense.

So now we look at how the teams have changed this year. Injuries and FA are the two things that change the team, and the Niners are hurting really badly at WR. They have no one that can win their matchups outside on us, so if we can stop the run, and keep Kaepernick in the pocket, we win easily.

On defense, they lost a very good safety, and replaced him with a rookie. Now, he might step up and play very well, but he hasn't proven it yet, and that really can't be factored into any sort of power rankings. Their CBs have problems sustaining coverage without a pass rush. This has been proven by more than just us.

On our end, Harvin's injury doesn't mean a whole lot, since we didn't have him when we played them last year. Conversely, when the Niners played Minnesota, Harvin was a matchup nightmare against them and had a very good game. When he does come back, he will add a lot to the overall matchup. We've replaced our 3 tech DT, but it remains to be seen whether that will be better than what we had last year, so the advantage can go to the Niners in that matchup.

When you break it down piece by piece, and also take the entirely of the matchup, we're looking good. Sure, they beat us early in the year, but our offense was completely different than it was later in the year. Kaepernick made them a more dynamic and vertical offense, but the results from last year still take that into account. They don't have the weapons to force diversity; they will have to rely on the run game and Kaepernick making some sort of play.

Taking the season as a whole, we need to improve on our road schedule and our divisional schedule. It's hard to repeat 8-0 seasons at home, so say we drop one game. We have to make that up somewhere, and our 3 divisional games on the road is the place to start. It's a two-fer: 3 of our 5 losses on the road were in division, and all of our divisional losses were on the road. If we matchup well enough to hang another loss on the Niners, hang another loss on the Cardinals, and possibly hang another loss on the Rams, we make up at least 2 games. Factor in 1 loss at home (I don't want to, but the law of averages takes effect here), and a tougher road schedule and we can still offset those with divisonal road wins and end up at 11 or 12 wins. I think even 11 wins takes this division with all the improvements.

A

Anonymous

Stephen SeaHawking":1gs3e1z3 said:
The 49ers should be #1. With Harvin injured, Irvin suspended, and Clemons/Miller iffy...I'm OK with giving them the top spot going into next season. We play better as underdogs anyhow.

WERD