power rankings

RichNhansom

Reaction score
The only team you could beat at 10am was the Jets. Go blow your horn somewhere else. Let's not forget that was with a very different team also. Your retooling your receivers and secondary now. You might not even be able to beat the Jets at 10am now.

13thMan

Reaction score
60niners":2bqlhuvk said:
RichNhansom":2bqlhuvk said:
The whole power ranking thing is kind of funny to me. Can't really figure out what makes one team good and another bad. Last year
The Seahawks were ranked by PFF and PFT as the best team in football coming into the playoffs. We lost Clemons to an ACL and Jason Jones to FA but have answered those losses with Avril and Bennett while also improving our secondary with Winfield and then signed Harvin. Prior to the draft NFL.com had the Niners ranked #1 and us #2 and ESPN had us #1 and the Niners #2. Post Draft the rankings pretty much stayed the same but after the Niners lost Crabtree even NFL.com moved us to #1.

Now that's all fine but when Harvin went down some rankings dropped us all the way to #4 which is lower than anyone had us previous even before we signed Harvin and bumped the Niners back to #1 even though Crabtree is still injured.

I was thinking today, if we lost Rice, Baldwin and Tate was coming off a torn ACL but we signed Boldin, Lynch was turning 30 and Mebane 34, we didn't sign Bennett or Avril or resign Jason Jones but brought in a DT that has been referred to as a bust, lost McCoy and replaced him with a rookie and lets say Kamtrack was being replaced by a rookie. Does anyone think we would still be ranked even #4?

I have a feeling we wouldn't be in the top half of the power rankings, so how is it the Niners are so damn power pole resilient? Are the polls pandering to the readers? Is the NFL propping up the Niners because they are the most profitable team in the league? Or is there something I am missing?
Yes.

I looked at their home preseason loss to the Broncos and Kaep went 4-4 but only for 38 yards and the receivers that caught passes were made primarily of guys I have never heard of. Their defense gave up 69 yards on the ground to CJ Anderson at 4.6 yards a clip and their secondary allowed Brock Osweiller to go 13-18 for 105 yards an in the end they lost. For a team that keeps getting labeled as the deepest roster in the league, they sure seem to have some deficiencies.
4-4, two passes to Boldin, one to VD, and one to Marlon Moore. I can understand Moore, but you've never heard of the other two??
First, It's pretty ridiculous that you're using the first preseason game as an argument against the 49ers being one of the top teams in the league. Are you suggesting that holding a RB to 69 yds, and a QB to 105 yds TOTAL, while playing backups is a bad thing?

You can dismiss Goldston and say he is over rated but if he is a repeat probowler and last years allpro then is he really that bad or is everyone wrong? If their wrong like Niner fans want us to think then why would we believe they are right about power rankings?

Sopa and RJF never made probowls and the defense looked bad when they had to rely on them but then why were they the first and second string on the deepest roster in the NFL? Why should anyone assume their replacements will be any better? Both left in FA for teams that will have them as starters and were willing to pay more than the Niners. Why is it an automatic assumption that the failed project out of KC and a rookie will be an upgrade?
What makes you think the defense looked bad when Sopoaga and RJF were in? Were the 49ers not one of the strongest teams against the run last season? "Failed project" is for depth, plus it's been fairly well-documented that he was miscast in KC. Ian Williams is not a rookie, and the 49ers staff saw fit to offer him money over the other two departures, so only time will tell if it was a worthwhile decision.

Crabtree accounted for nearly half of the Niners 3rd down conversions and was a master at getting separation early and getting YAC, Not to mention Kaep's #1 target by far. Boldin is a possession receiver that doesn't get separation but fights for the ball and is best suited as a #2 in single coverage. With no other real threats he will be double covered much of the time. Will he be a suitable replacement for Crabtree? Crabtree was not only on the roster last year he was the biggest contributor to it. Is that really no big loss?
As you've described it, Crabtree was basically the only receiving threat on the team last year, yet they still ended up playing well enough to reach the Super Bowl. Why is it improbable then, that with limited receiving options (according to fans) they cannot still continue to play well?

Walker dropped a lot of balls last year but they kept playing him because he was a big part of their running game. Is it realistic to think a rookie is going to step in and pick up right where he left off? Again Walker left to be a starter and for more money.
I could also ask you if it is realistic to expect every single draft pick the team makes to be a bust and not produce on the field? If he is even mildly productive then it is a success for a backup role.

These are just some of the questions. Can Harbaugh learn to rotate out his starters? If not can Justin Smith stay healthy and will they be burnt out by the playoffs again?
Whether or whether not, is irrespective of the question at hand. The Niners are being ranked as a top team, and this question has no bearing on that.

Can Gore continue to be productive at 30? Can Hunter finally stay healthy?
I don't think the 49ers running game is questionable by anyones standards....

Will Keap learn to spread the ball around without his relief valve on the field? Will any of these scrub receivers step up or are we looking at the type of meltdown we seen in Seattle when we lost all our receivers?
Again, whether or whether not, is irrespective of the question at hand. The Niners are being ranked as a top team, and this question has no bearing on that.

Can Manningham and Williams come back 100% and be productive off injury? Even though neither has ever been dominant in this or previous systems?

Can that secondary survive without Goldston or Culliver? Will Reid be starter quality in his first year? Is Ausimongo done? Will Brown get his 2 Mill or will he go into the season disgruntled?

Kind of going on but there are more than enough reasons to question how they will manage to maintain let alone being the best team in football.

Someone tell me what I am missing.
Told.

As it pertains to rankings... A lot of the stuff I didn't address just really doesn't matter.

I assume you're unhappy with the 49ers ranking compared to the Seahawks ranking or else you probably wouldn't care either way - and I think the biggest piece of the puzzle that you're missing is that top teams in the league don't go on the road and lay stinkers to the Lions and Cardinals and Dolphins. The Lions could only manage to win 4 games last year, yet one of them was against the Hawks... The Cardinals 5, and same story. Good teams go on the road and win games against bad teams. The Niners lost one game last year to an opponent with a losing record, and that was a divisional game. How could the Hawks be ranked as the top team in the league, or even above the Niners if they can't go on the road and beat a 4-12 team...

I'm not at all upset with the Hawks place in the rankings... Top 5 by just about everybody? I'll take it all day every day. I have stated to others (who many times just don't want to hear it) that the schedule for the Hawks is brutal, while the Niners schedule is considerably easier. And yes, we will have to figure out our road woes this season if we hope to make any kind of splash at all... I get that. So.... All that being said, how many wins do you think the Niners will notch this season? Do you believe they are considerably weaker in any areas as compared to last year? Thanks for the input...

60niners

Reaction score
RichNhansom":2za4pst8 said:
The only team you could beat at 10am was the Jets. Go blow your horn somewhere else. Let's not forget that was with a very different team also. Your retooling your receivers and secondary now. You might not even be able to beat the Jets at 10am now.
No horn-blowing, Sir. Since you decided to take the time to type out an insightful reply to the topic, I wanted to gratify your efforts with another [hopefully] insightful reply to the topic.

Do I believe the Seahawks have enough talent on the team to be ranked #1, of course. I personally think the differences in talent amongst the top 5 teams is so small that it's fairly negligible. Once talent is considered a wash, then I think the creators of these polls start looking towards other facets of the game. Well, if I was doing a poll, I would at least.

60niners

Reaction score
13thMan":3n45f28g said:
I'm not at all upset with the Hawks place in the rankings... Top 5 by just about everybody? I'll take it all day every day. I have stated to others (who many times just don't want to hear it) that the schedule for the Hawks is brutal, while the Niners schedule is considerably easier. And yes, we will have to figure out our road woes this season if we hope to make any kind of splash at all... I get that. So.... All that being said, how many wins do you think the Niners will notch this season? Do you believe they are considerably weaker in any areas as compared to last year? Thanks for the input...
How many wins? I really couldn't tell you lol. I'd hope at least 10. As for being considerably weaker, or perceived as being considerably weaker, I'd have to say the secondary jumps off the paper at me first. Losing Goldson isn't as problematic as losing Goldson and Culliver together. I do believe Reid to be a quality rookie. He might not play to Goldson's level in year one, but he doesn't have to play at an All-Pro level to be good enough; and I think in 2013 he only needs to be good enough to not give up too many deep plays. Culliver wasn't a starter but he did get a lot of playing time due to the fact that they often play nickel formation. Will Asomugha fill that roll? Hopefully!

bigtrain21

Reaction score
Does anyone else think 13thMan is a niner fan in disguise? It is pretty obvious to me. He will deny it of course. Anyone else agree?

13thMan

Reaction score
60niners":14dpmyww said:
13thMan":14dpmyww said:
How many wins? I really couldn't tell you lol. I'd hope at least 10. As for being considerably weaker, or perceived as being considerably weaker, I'd have to say the secondary jumps off the paper at me first. Losing Goldson isn't as problematic as losing Goldson and Culliver together. I do believe Reid to be a quality rookie. He might not play to Goldson's level in year one, but he doesn't have to play at an All-Pro level to be good enough; and I think in 2013 he only needs to be good enough to not give up too many deep plays. Culliver wasn't a starter but he did get a lot of playing time due to the fact that they often play nickel formation. Will Asomugha fill that roll? Hopefully!

Thanks for the reply... good insight. Just going on the schedule, I feel like the Hawks are about a 10-11 win team this season so, it very well could be a dog fight toward the end... either way, see you guys in January! Here's to an injury free path to the playoffs...

13thMan

Reaction score
bigtrain21":1ga9sj7q said:
Does anyone else think 13thMan is a niner fan in disguise? It is pretty obvious to me. He will deny it of course. Anyone else agree?

I'm not surprised by this... most Seahawks fans are drowning in koolaid and epitomize homerism... As for me, I'm a realist and a skeptic at heart.... Hell, I even catch this sort of flack from my own friends (fellow hawk fans)! Besides, if you don't get too high, you can't fall too hard, right? I'm sorry I don't fit the mold of the typical poster here and/or other hawks fans stamping our ticket to the Meadowlands.... I don't think that makes me any less a fan though IMO...

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
So we are number 3? Not bad for a meaningless poll. Just as long as we are the winner in New York February 2nd I am all good with wherever they rank us.

13thMan

Reaction score
KCHawkGirl":3dtmdmjp said:
So we are number 3? Not bad for a meaningless poll. Just as long as we are the winner in New York February 2nd I am all good with wherever they rank us.

This is exactly my point.... Who the hell cares? Hard to imagine there are some who are literally sweating some random pundit's opinion! Whatever....

streets24

Reaction score
ok sf is better ranked but the only thing that irritates me is some posts are ck almost won the super bowl. no he didnt. he lost the super bowl. there is no almost. you either do it or you dont. there is no gray area. i hate the sight of anything faggy9ers and basically any team that isnt our hawks. maybe im biased cuz my devotion to our hawks but i can watch any football except the them. i seen a guy with a willis jersey on the other night while i was playing slow pitch softball and he was in our stands and i told him to sit on the other side and shut up. willis is a good player but i hate them colors and that team. he was like i know you and i was than dont wear shit on your body and dont talk to me again till you change. i truly believe i lost the championship due that fing idiot distracting me with that chit. took me out of my game. anyways sorry just got lost in the hate. go hawks!

bigtrain21

Reaction score
13thMan":h3qe44nn said:
bigtrain21":h3qe44nn said:

I'm not surprised by this... most Seahawks fans are drowning in koolaid and epitomize homerism... As for me, I'm a realist and a skeptic at heart.... Hell, I even catch this sort of flack from my own friends (fellow hawk fans)! Besides, if you don't get too high, you can't fall too hard, right? I'm sorry I don't fit the mold of the typical poster here and/or other hawks fans stamping our ticket to the Meadowlands.... I don't think that makes me any less a fan though IMO...

You are way too obvious man. You have mentioned the Niners in 90% of your posts with the occassional random post you hope throws people off your scent. You even found a way to mention the amount of Superbowls the Niners won 20 years ago. Not fooled man, give it up.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
How many of these types have we seen lately? I suspected before I said it openly but he cemented my belief by going on the defense. I got a chuckle out of it but was at work and didn't have time to respond to it but yes it is obvious. what isn't obvious is why so many Niner fans feel the need to dress up in sheeps clothing to come over here and try and pretend we don't know.

I will say I have one hell of alot more respect for guy's like Marvin (who I really detest) than idiots trying to disguise themselves as Seahawks fans so they can try and interject some type of moronic input. What is the goal of these tools? Do they think they are going to be seen as the voice of reason while defending the Niners and discrediting the Seahawks? Maybe they can convince everyone the announcer in the GB game wasn't calling the hail mary a simultaneous catch as it was happening? Or that the full time officials in the booth didn't overtur the call for a reason or that the NFL didn't actually come out and say it was the correct call?

Yeah Uhm, good luck with that.

It's true the Niners have a much easier schedule than us this year and it could end up making the difference but on a neutral field I believe the Seahawks win 80+% of match ups with a big emphasys on the +. To me that is what power rankings are supposed to be based on. Not the schedule. The name power poll indicates which is the better team not which team will win the division because that has to many caveats, like schedule for example.

Anyway I gotta get back to my beer and get the steaks in the BBQ. Have a great weekend everyone.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
13thMan":10gvuy0v said:
The Ravens completely dismantled their team after the Super Bowl... wholesale changes. So, no, I don't see why they would be near the top of the power rankings... That's ridiculous.

And you want to play the "what if" game? Ok... What if the real officials had been officiating the Green Bay game? What if the correct call is made on the touchdown/ception? What if Akers doesn't whiff on kicks in either rams game? What if Aldon and Justin Smith don't get injured? So what? What does any of this actually mean? Nothing.

I'm sorry I don't subscribe to the typical koolaid chugging, nut hugging, blind faith fandom that seems more prevalent amongst our fanbase than any other. I choose to be a realist. If that's too much too handle, then so be it.

Finally, I'm not giving false props to any team... Am I stamping the Niners ticket??? No. This whole discussion is about power rankings so who gives a crap? The ONLY point that I was trying to make is very very simple. I DON'T HAVE A PROBLEM WITH WHERE WE ARE RANKED BY ANYBODY! That's it... nothing more, nothing less.

Got it?

Have a nice day as well...

Funny stuff. Apparently we are all a bunch of koolaide drinking nut huggers and he is just a realist. LMAO, sorry troll but your 33 post count isn't making that critical argument you think it is.

Off to bed but thought I'd have a last chuckle (to go with my koolaide) before I go hug my nuts goodnight.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Ok, anybody thinking Baltimore dismantled their team clearly knows nothing about the AFC and maybe slightly more about football. Their defense is younger, faster, and far better than last year which likely will balance out the loss of Pitta and Boldin.

It's Pittsburgh that will be in a catfight with Cleveland for 3rd place in the AFCN not Baltimore.

Then again maybe that koolaid damaged my brain.

Bambam_gohawks

Reaction score
chevelle03":2sqleayk said:
I really don't understand why the 49ers are on the top of all the power rankings. Their secondary and receiving corps are really questionable right now. But it will be fun to see them slide down the rankings every week once the season starts...

our time will come, i can't wait to see kaperBLAH have a horrible season. Can't stand him!