Window Has Closed?

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Come on man!

Yes this team has issues. Yes they need to be addressed and yes we are all sensitive after yet another divisional road playoff game where we come up on the short end but this idea that our window has closed blows me away.

This is not a post wearing blue and green colored glasses...Again, I get that there are serious issues that need to be addressed but we are STILL a top 10 team that could easily be top 3 again with the right strategic moves. We're not the Jaguars or Browns or 49ers (HA!) people...We are still considered one of the better teams in the league and you better believe that counts for something, even when there's warts that need to be addressed.

To say the Seahawks window has closed is like saying the Steelers window has closed or the Packers, etc...Despite this loss, we are still one of the best teams in the NFC.

I do think Richard should move on. I do think there are serious issues between the players and the coaches/coaching. Sherman's explosions on the sidelines this year was a manifestation of that.

Fix it Pete. Fix it John. I have every reason to believe in fact, that they will.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
mcdonalds-closed.jpg

mrt144

Reaction score
Tentative yes. The first 4 games of next season and how the OL plays and how ET comes back will give us further indicators. I really feel that our defense can't operate without ET at 100% nor our offense play with an OL that isn't hovering around league average across the board. The coaching staff certainly doesn't seem to know how to operate without these conditions.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Good post. And welcome back Aros.

Seriously, we're actually the 10th youngest team in the league. I keep seeing posts about "aging" defense, but who's aging ? The entire LOB is under 30. Bennett and Avril are both 31 and 30, but both are still playing very well and at a very high level.

We had the youngest OL in the league. I can't tell you if they'll be any better next year, but I'd think they HAVE to improve on this year's performance.

if guys heal up and start playing well again, I think we'll be good. Look at all the young talent we have. Graham is only 28. Baldwin, Lockett and Richardson are all young. Just look at that 4 receiving corps.....might be best in the league. Add McEvoy who is an intriguing weapon. Frank Clark is coming on fast on the other side of the ball.

There's a ton of positives. And we have a draft coming up. It's supposed to be a deep draft in the secondary and pass rushers. We could land a dynamic LBer to upgrade Morgan, a CB to push either Shead or Lane, and a dynamic RB.

nash72

Reaction score
If we keep the same coaching staff, the window will be closed because the needed strategic moves wont happen.

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
Yes, it is closed right now. However, with some revamping we can open the window right back up. Look hard at some players, look harder at some coaches and let the chips fall.

emurri

Reaction score
I agree Aros this teams window has not closed. With some work to improve the offensive line, getting healthy, getting some better play out of a second corner and getting someone that can get pressure up the middle, we will be back to being a legitimate number one seed and back in the Super Bowl. I am upset with Richard, Bevell, and Cable, and I would not be upset if we made some changes. But I do see things to be encouraged about, like the weapons we have on offensive and what could happen if we could some better production out of the o-line. I think Clark, and Reed are going to develop and help this d-line become dominant again. There are things to be upset with and things that need to be addressed, but I know this team will be in the playoffs again fighting for the Super Bowl.

Hawker8989

Reaction score
Well AZ is our only competition in the division for the next two years. As for the conference, Atlanta, GB, Dallas, Vikings, Detroit, will be threats.

Foghawk

Reaction score
Hawker8989":2hyoqkuc said:
Well AZ is our only competition in the division for the next two years. As for the conference, Atlanta, GB, Dallas, Vikings, Detroit, will be threats.

I wouldn't overlook the Rams, depends on what the new kid on the block can do with Goff. Wade will likely have that D rolling though.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
hawksincebirth":3b8u7ihp said:
Sorry aros but you guys are wrong. Didn't we get the same pep talk last year?

And we won the division and a first round playoff game. We were probably a key injury away from hosting this game and likely playing for the NFC championship again.

The NFL is a league designed to try and keep teams from winning year after year. And yet Seattle continues to do so.

Of course our bar is set high, and it should be, but this team was one of the top four in the NFC for the 5th year in a row.
We aren't going to win the Super Bowl every year, but with some adjustments and better luck on the injury front, they can easily go from division round loss to Super Bowl champion again.

The difference between winning and losing is so thin. Lets not let overreactions and emotions get in the way of logic. Most of us here are smarter and more experienced than that.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Hawkpower":sfzl3d5e said:
hawksincebirth":sfzl3d5e said:

We aren't going to win the Super Bowl every year, but with some adjustments and better luck on the injury front, they can easily go from division round loss to Super Bowl champion again.

When we won the SB, we had very few key injuries that year. Furthermore, when one p[layer "went down" the back up was nearly as good. We had great depth that year.

The difference between winning and losing is so thin. Lets not let overreactions and emotions get in the way of logic. Most of us here are smarter and more experienced than that.

Most here on this message board will agree that the margin for winning comes down to success on 3 or 4 plays each game. The New England franchise has mastered the ability to make those plays nearly every game for nine straight years or so. Our franchise does not have the coaching staff to make our marginal players believe.

Football is a mental game!

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Hawkpower":yyhzho4s said:
And we won the division and a first round playoff game. We were probably a key injury away from hosting this game and likely playing for the NFC championship again.

The NFL is a league designed to try and keep teams from winning year after year. And yet Seattle continues to do so.

Of course our bar is set high, and it should be, but this team was one of the top four in the NFC for the 5th year in a row.

Great post. Cheers! :2thumbs:

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":14lb81xd said:
Hawkpower":14lb81xd said:
hawksincebirth":14lb81xd said:

When we won the SB, we had very few key injuries that year. Furthermore, when one p[layer "went down" the back up was nearly as good. We had great depth that year.

Most here on this message board will agree that the margin for winning comes down to success on 3 or 4 plays each game. The New England franchise has mastered the ability to make those plays nearly every game for nine straight years or so. Our franchise does not have the coaching staff to make our marginal players believe.

Football is a mental game!

Better coaching top to bottom including the on-field QB decisions IMO.

Rob12

Reaction score
It's not closed but it's time to adapt or die. This franchise CANNOT take the same philosophy into next season.

It's going to be a crucial offseason. This roster is too talented to not achieve more.

Losing one player, as great as Earl is, should not cripple our secondary. It just shouldn't. It did. That's a sign of poor coaching and poor depth.

Running game was non existent this year.

It's not closed but there is so much damn work to do.

chris98251

Reaction score
Window not closed, just a bit dirty and hard to see thru, we need to adjust again, we need to have a offense that can play week in and week out without having to wait for our lineman to take two years to learn to block, we also need to regain our aggressive nature. On offense we take to long to attack, we don't seem to effectively use our personal package's well, we need to go for blood. Whether that's Cable or Bevell or both in play calling and design and Pete in his philosophy. On defense bend but don't break is fine if you are pressuring to make mistakes and being physical, we have lost the intimidation factor. Not sure if losing Ken Norton or Quinn had a bigger effect on this, but it's not showing up on the field, since Bradley's team showed it I will have to go with the loss of Norton and Richard not coaching our DB's anymore.

Maybe all the extra games a year being successful has aged our defense quicker, or maybe getting older and being men with the business first and foremost and the hunger secondary has done it. But something is missing in the attitude department.

Really we have lost that edginess we had the first 5 years. Could be a chemistry issue as well, putting the finger on it will be Pete and Johns hardest task going into next year.