Tariq Woolen has regressed beyond recognition.

Vesuve

Reaction score
Here is some tape of Woolen against the Cowboys.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
My guess is more that they are 'coaching' him to play differently - and it does not suit his strengths/weaknesses. Remember all the effing hands to the face penalties? Now remember that LAST year, he was reluctant to put his hands on receivers at all...played more for position and did a lot of QB baiting. NONE of that is happening now. If anything, the psuedo-physical play is hampering his speed.

It also is telling that the Hawks have 2 of the best man-corner young prospects, and they are stubbornly sticking with that stupid zone. So given the choice to pick between the player is regressing or the coaching staff is trying to change their play to better fit a defense they rigidly adhere to regardless of the personnel they have? I'm picking the latter.

It is disappointing to see us squandering talent to shove what could be a field-tilting player (2 of them!) into an already existing, but barely effective system. Which is basically what the Hawks have done for almost 8 years now, so I shouldn't be surprised.

It almost seems they are being coached to be physical like the LOB were. but the game has changed since then (largely because of the LOB) and it doesn't work like that anymore.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
I think the cornerstone to our woes is the zone D and have always said I want a defense that dictates, not one that relies on reaction. Man to man is exactly that, and simultaneously releases our rush hounds. Any above average CB will not be at his best in a zone.
The three safety system is not working to great effect because Adams is not working to great effect. In short, he is not earning our money. He is doing little more than watching Love improve. I hope our rookie gets well soon. He is a safety version of Spoon.

OneLofaTatupu

Reaction score
Nah, he actually Lay'd a couple of licks in this game to my surprise.

Panicking, and getting the PI early in the game. And not coming off his man to make the tackle on a key 4th down, we're the only bad plays he had in this game.

Jamal Adams was much worse. And the coaching staff gets another F for another failed/ lack of a gameplan on defense.
Statistically he had a great game minus some ticky tack penalties. I think we just laser in on a play or two and run a narrative. I do it all the time. I love it.

hangumhi

Reaction score
My guess is more that they are 'coaching' him to play differently - and it does not suit his strengths/weaknesses. Remember all the effing hands to the face penalties? Now remember that LAST year, he was reluctant to put his hands on receivers at all...played more for position and did a lot of QB baiting. NONE of that is happening now. If anything, the psuedo-physical play is hampering his speed.

It also is telling that the Hawks have 2 of the best man-corner young prospects, and they are stubbornly sticking with that stupid zone. So given the choice to pick between the player is regressing or the coaching staff is trying to change their play to better fit a defense they rigidly adhere to regardless of the personnel they have? I'm picking the latter.

It is disappointing to see us squandering talent to shove what could be a field-tilting player (2 of them!) into an already existing, but barely effective system. Which is basically what the Hawks have done for almost 8 years now, so I shouldn't be surprised.
Just curious what his contract situation is. I hope he's still on his rookie deal because he could be retained cheap. We know he can play...but something is obviously wrong this year. Injury? Lack of preparation? Something changed and I wouldn't be surprised if he came back to form next year.

bileever

Reaction score
Nah, he actually Lay'd a couple of licks in this game to my surprise.

Panicking, and getting the PI early in the game. And not coming off his man to make the tackle on a key 4th down, we're the only bad plays he had in this game.

Jamal Adams was much worse. And the coaching staff gets another F for another failed/ lack of a gameplan on defense.
Absolutely no attempt to disguise coverage, or even to mix things up. Or to disguise pressure. I know we got a few sacks, but on most pass plays Dak had all day. To be effective against a good O-line, you have to have a few tricks up your sleeve. They rushed Witherspoon on the first play and then not much afterwards. I think that Hurtt must be the Scarecrow from the Wizard of Oz.

renofox

Reaction score
I thought PC was the DB-whisperer?

Almost every DB since the LOB has regressed while a Seahawk. Few have improved.

IMO, the DB scheme, system, and coaching all suck and have sucked for a long time.

nanomoz

Reaction score
I thought that outside of a couple of plays, he looked a lot better against Dallas.

hawk45

Reaction score
Here is some tape of Woolen against the Cowboys.

Folks coping in this thread need to watch this vid. If anything he’s getting a pass on committing penalties rep after rep, with sheer lazy shit technique, and isn’t up to playing man coverage. People talking bout the coaches causing this by not playing him in man sound like Tre Flowers apologists. Woolen is playing like a more athletic Tharold Simon up in here. It ain’t injury, he’s able to re-accelerate after being repeatedly dusted off the line.

Top Billin would rather see Bryant or Brown out there right now and I agree.

Not saying cut Woolen, but to pretend like he’s not a handsy trash penalty machine with shit technique this year is just fans playing with themselves.

flv2

Reaction score
Woolen is a competitive press CB, (which is rare in the modern game), but he was being asked to play on an island against an elite WR who knows how to play against press coverage. Lamb would have had 15 catches for 200 yards if it wasn't for the penalties. He beat Witherspoon and Brown as well.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Hadn't't noticed until the Eagles game that he's playing with a shoulder brace. This explains his tackling woes but his seeming loss off speed is more concerning as that was his greatest strength.

He has been identified as a vulnerable player so far this year and opposing O's are picking on him. For sure he has exception physical ability but needs to work on his technique.

I think he'll come back next season strongly.

renofox

Reaction score
Hadn't't noticed until the Eagles game that he's playing with a shoulder brace. This explains his tackling woes but his seeming loss off speed is more concerning as that was his greatest strength.

He has been identified as a vulnerable player so far this year and opposing O's are picking on him. For sure he has exception physical ability but needs to work on his technique.

I think he'll come back next season strongly.
I have not analyzed all his snaps for the last 2 years, but I have noticed that last year he was using mostly bail technique with outside over leverage.

This year he is either in press or backpedal with various break techniques using inside leverage.

He has been coached up and changed his techniques and leverages, but is transitioning away from his strengths and into his weaknesses.

Add in a shoulder injury to his already hesitant physicality (common for WR to CB transitions) and it's a perfect shitstorm that explains what we're seeing.