Bevell is fired (hypothetically speaking)

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
What is that you want to see a new OC doing? I don't blame DB half as much as most people but I am just wondering, what is it specifically, that you want to see done differently?

sdog1981

Reaction score
Pete needs his Norm Chow.

The problem I see is a conflict of ideology between Cable/Bevell/Wilson/Carroll. When the team freely talks about having to talk about "opening up the playbook" is a telling issue.

At USC Pete got Norm Chow to take over as his OC this guy was one of the best college OC's of all time. Chow was reasonable for the play design and calls. Pete then could focus on team motivation and the defense his strong suit. Bevell/Cable is holding back this offense. With Cable as a co-head coach you have to get the idea that he might have more control over things than Bevell does. For me I would fire both Cable and Bevell and start over with a new OC with Norm Chow like powers to get the right position coaches to get this offense running smoothly.

razor150

Reaction score
sdog1981":3jb53fdv said:
Pete needs his Norm Chow.

The problem I see is a conflict of ideology between Cable/Bevell/Wilson/Carroll. When the team freely talks about having to talk about "opening up the playbook" is a telling issue.

At USC Pete got Norm Chow to take over as his OC this guy was one of the best college OC's of all time. Chow was reasonable for the play design and calls. Pete then could focus on team motivation and the defense his strong suit. Bevell/Cable is holding back this offense. With Cable as a co-head coach you have to get the idea that he might have more control over things than Bevell does. For me I would fire both Cable and Bevell and start over with a new OC with Norm Chow like powers to get the right position coaches to get this offense running smoothly.

Good post. I would agree. I'd like the OC basically being the Assistant HC, and be able to cover an obvious blindspot for Carroll.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Bevell is the OC and Cable is the assistant HC/OL coach. Cable has a higher title than Bevell. IMO, Cable is more of the problem than Bevell. It's Cable's area of focus that is weakest part of the team.

sdog1981

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1f9uqkwf said:
Bevell is the OC and Cable is the assistant HC/OL coach. Cable has a higher title than Bevell. IMO, Cable is more of the problem than Bevell. It's Cable's area of focus that is weakest part of the team.

Cable has a long history of failure from 1997-2011 he was run out of town in under 3 years. His claim to fame when he was with Cal (his longest held job up until his Seahawk years) was turning high school defensive linemen into college offensive linemen. He was good at it. BUT this was the mid 90's he had a lot more time to coach those players then he does today. With limited contact in OTA's no two-a-days during training camp. I just don't see how he can get his conversion projects to work. Take this last draft they pick Rees Odhiambo a guard and Germain Ifedi a tackle. Then they play Ifedi at guard when they know they have a weak point at RT with Gilliam? That is just insane planning.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Largent80":1ahs7f7p said:
I would like to hear what people like windy city hawk have to offer on this.

Me too

justafan

Reaction score
Execution.Thats what sets players like Peyton Manning or Brady apart from players with a higher sparq score.
People want screen passes but i hope i never see them run one,the team is horrible at it.
More toughness from the Oline.They get beat up.

As much as the team preaches fundamentals and toughness in my opinion those are the weakness of the offense.

andyh64000

Reaction score
I don't think he should be fired. I think he is very good to great at designing schemes to be successful but he is a terrible game coach/play caller (do I need to mention the most egregious example?). I don't know how the solve that since Pete is not a play caller but I would like to have him keep designing the offense...we just need someone else calling plays and making adjustments.

TorontoHawk

Reaction score
andyh64000":32c0lo14 said:
I don't think he should be fired. I think he is very good to great at designing schemes to be successful but he is a terrible game coach/play caller (do I need to mention the most egregious example?). I don't know how the solve that since Pete is not a play caller but I would like to have him keep designing the offense...we just need someone else calling plays and making adjustments.

I don't get all this fire Bevell shit going on, he is a good OC. Almost all the football people I hear broadcasting our games say he has done a tremendous job with the issues with the O-line and Wilson's injuries. Get over it he is not going anywhere as long as Pete is the HC. This board is just not the same anymore, we win we all that goes on is complaining and whining about the refs and how they are out to get the Hawks.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
When are we going to get a "fire Pete" thread? I mean ... how in the world did this team lose to the Bucs? Afterall he is the guy keeping Bevell and Cable and Chris on the Job. Can we also fire John Schneider? He keeps drafting a few scrubs per year ...

Bobblehead

Reaction score
If Bevell had an offensive line that can do what their job is.. would there be an issue with his offensive play calling?

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Bobblehead":1h35p7ad said:
If Bevell had an offensive line that can do what their job is.. would there be an issue with his offensive play calling?
NOTHING would change the fact that when a defense manages to repeatedly stop what we're trying to do, we don't adjust for crap the vast majority of the time. No O-line in the world is just "always successful" against opposing defenses.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
Largent80":p34unsqf said:
I would like to hear what people like windy city hawk have to offer on this.

It's no great change, and I'm certainly not offering myself up as an improvement at the position, I just want to see an end to the boneheaded, zero-chance plays--the empty backfields on 3rd and short, the play-actions on 3rd and long, the fades to Kearse. I want to see Jimmy used more in the red zone like he was in New Orleans. I mean, my God, Schneider must be pulling his hair out watching this sometimes. Do you really think JS coughed up a first-rounder for Jimmy to use as a decoy to unleash Kearse on the league? It's just a silly, amateur approach to our talent, all of it.

And as much as I appreciate being called out here, I'm hardly the only one seeing this crap. Every week, for years now, people have been scratching their heads at Bevell's game plans and play calling. And I think it's become normalized, like people think this is just how offenses works--intermittently. But that's not the case, and it doesn't have to be, not with our roster.

The one thing, I will admit, that makes me hesitant to cut Bevell is his rapport with Wilson. Wilson hasn't had another OC in the pros, and I wonder how much Consistency plays into the decision to keep him week after baffling week. Bevell also played QB at Wisconsin and was apparently a big supporter of drafting Wilson. I suspect it's the sum of all that, more than his game-management, that keeps him here.

Feed him more excuses if you want--injuries, the O-line, DVOA--but they don't matter to anyone else. There's a reason he's never been hired away. And if he was on another team, you wouldn't be wishing he was here.

RG0BS1U

Alternately, I'd be satisfied if he just pulled his head out of his back end and quit outsmarting himself.

Largent80

Reaction score
The "excuse" of the O-Line play is not Bevells coaching job. That is Cables responsibility.

I haven't seen a single idea in this thread that answers the OP. Just what people don't want to see.

I would say, if you owned the team, coached the team or were GM of the team you may be able to have some input.

Thankfully, you aren't.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
TorontoHawk":36n4aurc said:
andyh64000":36n4aurc said:

I don't get all this fire Bevell shit going on, he is a good OC. Almost all the football people I hear broadcasting our games say he has done a tremendous job with the issues with the O-line and Wilson's injuries. Get over it he is not going anywhere as long as Pete is the HC. This board is just not the same anymore, we win we all that goes on is complaining and whining about the refs and how they are out to get the Hawks.
You are on point, Toronto. Not only has Bevell earned his stripes as one of the best offensive coordinators in the league, but he's become an essential element to the team by being a part of that morphing into greatness that took place when he came aboard in 2011. He was there when the culture of our team became unified. He has a great rapport with a guy like Baldwin, maybe a bit too playful as we saw with last week's post huddle tomfoolery.
And lastly, what about continuity? We have a formula that works. What other team has made it to at least the division round of the playoffs the past 4 years. Win 3 of the next 5 games and that will likely be 5 years running. Patriots maybe? The point is you don't mess around with that. Yes, our world is becoming too much of an instant gratification society where the knee-jerk reaction is to make a change instead of letting the flaws in a good system work itself out. That takes faith and a belief in what you have. I'm glad Pete puts major stock in continuity, because that's what well-run organizations do.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
Largent80":15kkbql8 said:
The "excuse" of the O-Line play is not Bevells coaching job. That is Cables responsibility.

I haven't seen a single idea in this thread that answers the OP. Just what people don't want to see.

I would say, if you owned the team, coached the team or were GM of the team you may be able to have some input.

Thankfully, you aren't.

Well by that logic, none of us should have any thoughts on the matter.

You asked for my two cents, now you're telling me I'm not entitled to them. Well, tough tits I guess, there they are. And here I go.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Bobblehead":2tdm33lh said:
The team still isn't consistent enough on offense to put the blame solely on the offensive line.

There are many play calls in general which are just not appropriate or called at the wrong time. Bevell's problem is that he has plays he is comfortable running that don't work 80-90% of the time like wide bubbles to Baldwin.

Also fade routes shouldn't generally be called on third down plays because of the low percentages of it, It's not tactically a smart call.

Running Tukuafu up the middle when he's
A.) A fullback and hasn't shown any ability to convert these plays thus far,
B.) You have a backup center in the middle of the line, against
C.) A team who has gotten constant pressure all game.

Is just not smart coaching.

It's easy to explain for those people who are ACTUALLY curious as to why people don't care for him too much as the offensive coordinator.

If you are not gaining at least 2-3 positive yards on every down there is a problem. We have at least one play the doesn't gain positive yards on almost every down set. It's a problem, and yes people notice it.

Not saying he's a terrible person or even that he's the worst OC ever but he just lacks some sense of coaching at times.

Largent80

Reaction score
WindCityHawk":3u091tcz said:
Largent80":3u091tcz said:

Thankfully, you aren't.

Well by that logic, none of us should have any thoughts on the matter.

You asked for my two cents, now you're telling me I'm not entitled to them. Well, tough tits I guess, there they are. And here I go.

You didn't say what you would do differently. Just what you don't want to see. Everyone has those thoughts. If you think it's so easy then give us your game plan with this offense in its current state.

It's easy to criticize, it's way harder to actually do it.

chet380

Reaction score
Largent80":2b58gghn said:

Thankfully, you aren't.

Agreed, but the performance of the OL isn't solely Cable's fault -- ultimately the decision to gamble on nickel-and-diming on OL spending falls on JS/PC.