Bevell is fired (hypothetically speaking)

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
chet380":2md4clah said:
Largent80":2md4clah said:
The "excuse" of the O-Line play is not Bevells coaching job. That is Cables responsibility.

I haven't seen a single idea in this thread that answers the OP. Just what people don't want to see.

I would say, if you owned the team, coached the team or were GM of the team you may be able to have some input.

Thankfully, you aren't.

Agreed, but the performance of the OL isn't solely Cable's fault -- ultimately the decision to gamble on nickel-and-diming on OL spending falls on JS/PC.

Hey, when you've got a buy one linemen get another free coupon and a hand full of 80% linemen coupons you use them. They're just gonna go to waste. Use that extra money on a painfully average receiver like Kearse instead, now you're playing with power.

getnasty

Reaction score
When we get beat up front the way we did it doesn't matter who the OC is. I feel like people are underestimating how bad the OL was. If you don't have time to let plays develop it leads to quick throws against press coverage or 7 in a shallow zone, either way that's not good.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Kinda to respond to the two posts above even with an average lineman (PFF grading) we will have tons more success in moving the ball and protecting Wilson. We literally only need an average guy and maybe not even that looking at Breno's numbers who was here the super bowl year.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
So that is the resolution?

Because a group of message board posters cannot come up with an adequate replacement that means Bevell cannot be replaced or it is not reasonable even suggest such?

Let me be clear, if we put together a group of football guys, analytics guys, and then combined that with some software tools - I am going to bet that we would find acceptable, if not fantastic, replacements.

The OC would not likely be a big fan of the gutted OL and demand we put more coins in that position, but they certainly would welcome the opportunity to work with a near unique QB, a tremendous TE and some at least 2 good to great WRs. Combine that with Rawls at full strength and the solid defense providing backup/insurance...I think we would find success with quite a few OCs.

Are you suggesting that if Bevell were hit by a train tomorrow that somehow the offense next year would simply never be as good for years because we could not find an adequate replacement? Or are you suggesting that after a train hit, we would never be able to quite reach our offensive ability (you know, the barely scoring a single TD in 3 games ability....)

By the standards that offenses are judged by, we kinda suck. We are below the top 20 this year in points per play, points per possession, touchdowns per game, RZ scoring attempts per game, RZ TD scoring % per game, offensive TDs per game, and offensive points per game. And THAT is all considering the field position that our defense regularly gifts us with, (one set of stats has us 15th with pts per drive, which I guess is average...but we ARE in the top 10 in FGs per drive).

Either way, the numbers say that Bevell is either average or below average. Based on the results. And based on all the talent he has to work with, probably worse. Not opinion, but results. By the results (the #s) he is middling at best.

So trying to imply that a middling OC cannot be replaced because some people on a message board cannot come up with a name in 60 seconds with no real targeted research - well that is stretching things.

He is easily replaceable because his results have been no more than average, perhaps worse.

sdog1981

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":r19v0sg4 said:
Kinda to respond to the two posts above even with an average lineman (PFF grading) we will have tons more success in moving the ball and protecting Wilson. We literally only need an average guy and maybe not even that looking at Breno's numbers who was here the super bowl year.

That's why you can't have a Bevell should go without including the assistant head coach/Oline coach. In my opinion, one can not go without the other. Complete reboot of the Oline with a new OC that can implement Pete's philosophy. This team needs to be an efficient run first team that just cranks out 3rd down conversions. Think the 96-06 Denver teams that made 1000 yard rushers out of Tatum Bell, Mike Anderson, Ruben Droughns, Olandis Gary and Clinton Portis. That Broncos line was built from castoffs. Now once they proved themselves they got second contracts and the team had to adjust accordingly.

sdog1981

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":13j7voj9 said:

Because a group of message board posters cannot come up with an adequate replacement that means Bevell cannot be replaced or it is not reasonable even suggest such?

Let me be clear, if we put together a group of football guys, analytics guys, and then combined that with some software tools - I am going to bet that we would find acceptable, if not fantastic, replacements.

The OC would not likely be a big fan of the gutted OL and demand we put more coins in that position, but they certainly would welcome the opportunity to work with a near unique QB, a tremendous TE and some at least 2 good to great WRs. Combine that with Rawls at full strength and the solid defense providing backup/insurance...I think we would find success with quite a few OCs.

Are you suggesting that if Bevell were hit by a train tomorrow that somehow the offense next year would simply never be as good for years because we could not find an adequate replacement? Or are you suggesting that after a train hit, we would never be able to quite reach our offensive ability (you know, the barely scoring a single TD in 3 games ability....)

By the standards that offenses are judged by, we kinda suck. We are below the top 20 this year in points per play, points per possession, touchdowns per game, RZ scoring attempts per game, RZ TD scoring % per game, offensive TDs per game, and offensive points per game. And THAT is all considering the field position that our defense regularly gifts us with, (one set of stats has us 15th with pts per drive, which I guess is average...but we ARE in the top 10 in FGs per drive).

Either way, the numbers say that Bevell is either average or below average. Based on the results. And based on all the talent he has to work with, probably worse. Not opinion, but results. By the results (the #s) he is middling at best.

So trying to imply that a middling OC cannot be replaced because some people on a message board cannot come up with a name in 60 seconds with no real targeted research - well that is stretching things.

He is easily replaceable because his results have been no more than average, perhaps worse.

Game.

Set.

Match.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
sdog1981":1iv23z4x said:
NFSeahawks628":1iv23z4x said:

That's why you can't have a Bevell should go without including the assistant head coach/Oline coach. In my opinion, one can not go without the other. Complete reboot of the Oline with a new OC that can implement Pete's philosophy. This team needs to be an efficient run first team that just cranks out 3rd down conversions. Think the 96-06 Denver teams that made 1000 yard rushers out of Tatum Bell, Mike Anderson, Ruben Droughns, Olandis Gary and Clinton Portis. That Broncos line was built from castoffs. Now once they proved themselves they got second contracts and the team had to adjust accordingly.
If the cost of letting DB go is losing Cable....... Good luck with your future endeavors Tom.

sdog1981

Reaction score
If the cost of letting DB go is losing Cable....... Good luck with your future endeavors Tom.[/quote]

lol

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
If he's fired, that would lead me to believe the season would have come off the tracks and we limp into January and promptly get blown out due to another miserable performance by the OL.

However, everyone who wants Bevell gone is probably in for a rough December and January. Because at MOST we lose one game to end the regular season. And that's going to lead to a bye and that's going to lead to a home game for a shot at the NFC title.

But hypothetically speaking? Pete would probably look to a Steve Sarkisian type to run the offense. Looking at the probable coaching changes elsewhere, there aren't many striking offensive minds that are about to be sh**canned either. Maybe the Browns do a Browns like thing and fire Hue Jackson for an 0-16 season. That's about the best hail Mary candidate I can throw out there.. Otherwise you're looking at someone very similar, and arguably worse, to Darrell Bevell.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1pete8ps said:

:lol:

Yeah a new offensive coordinator is immediately going to bang the table and demand for money spent on the OL.

That's not how this works. That's not how any of this works. And who is to say we don't aggressively address this in 2017 when our cap situation gets a helluva lot better?

You guys act like there are 30 Josh McDaniels just chilling waiting for a job opportunity. Look around the league, there are a lot more bad coordinators than good ones.

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
I will be so excited when we are in the superbowl on the one down by 4 with time for one play left and instead of a slant to our 4th receiver, Bevell dials up a fullback dive to Tukuafu as Graham is running free in the endzone.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1hvbpo0r said:

Bravo! Bravo!

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
storm74":3mi4k3x9 said:
I will be so excited when we are in the superbowl on the one down by 4 with time for one play left and instead of a slant to our 4th receiver, Bevell dials up a fullback dive to Tukuafu as Graham is running free in the endzone.
Hmmm! I have a feeling Dallas will represent the NFC this year. Too many question marks with Sea O this late in the season.

Sent from my SC-02H using Tapatalk

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2qi3974r said:
If he's fired, that would lead me to believe the season would have come off the tracks and we limp into January and promptly get blown out due to another miserable performance by the OL.

However, everyone who wants Bevell gone is probably in for a rough December and January. Because at MOST we lose one game to end the regular season. And that's going to lead to a bye and that's going to lead to a home game for a shot at the NFC title.

But hypothetically speaking? Pete would probably look to a Steve Sarkisian type to run the offense. Looking at the probable coaching changes elsewhere, there aren't many striking offensive minds that are about to be sh**canned either. Maybe the Browns do a Browns like thing and fire Hue Jackson for an 0-16 season. That's about the best hail Mary candidate I can throw out there.. Otherwise you're looking at someone very similar, and arguably worse, to Darrell Bevell.
The Ravens fired their OC more than halfway through the season, then went on to win the Super Bowl that year a few years back.

Not that it's some guarantee we'd do the same thing; but similarly, don't just assume all's lost if it were to happen. Kind of throws your assumption's presumed accuracy out the window.

P.S., To answer your question earlier; I think Russell Wilson would be a better offensive coordinator. Let him try running the offense.

Ambrose83

Reaction score
For the life of me I can't see how any of you can defend him... It's crazy at this point.... The bills made a switch and it turned out so much better... I'd love for bevell gone and the talent we have to be maximized... You won't know how bad it was till he's gone....

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3019s0il said:
The Ravens fired their OC more than halfway through the season, then went on to win the Super Bowl that year a few years back.

Not that it's some guarantee we'd do the same thing; but similarly, don't just assume all's lost if it were to happen. Kind of throws your assumption's presumed accuracy out the window.

P.S., To answer your question earlier; I think Russell Wilson would be a better offensive coordinator. Let him try running the offense.

The Ravens fired Cam Cameron and replaced him with Jim Caldwell. If there were a Jim Caldwell on this staff, then sure. Also I love that you essentially insinuate that the firing is what led to them winning a Super Bowl. The Ravens got every break in the book in that postseason run (thanks Rahim Moore!) and Flacco played out of his mind. That had zero to do with firing Cam Cameron and everything to do with peaking at the perfect time + having some luck on their side.

Here are some other teams that have fired their offensive coordinator midseason this year:
- Buffalo (Move seemed to spark the offense somewhat, but they still rank 18th overall in yards and are dead last in passing offense)

- Baltimore (Ravens were the 23rd ranked offense under Trestman, now 18th under Mornhinweg. They are 3-3 since the move and rank 28th in rushing and 18th in passing)

- Jacksonville (Jaguars fired Greg Olson midway through his 2nd season. They've moved from 25th in total offense to 23rd. They're winless since the change.)

So yeah, all it takes is that magical midseason firing! Look at how much success those three teams are having!

Again... Do you want Tom Cable as OC? Do you want TATER Smith as OC? Because that's what would happen if we canned Bevell. Also Russell Wilson isn't OC, but you're nuts if you don't think he has a lot of say in what they run.

Why were you and so many others strangely quiet the previous two weeks? Did Bevell just decide to not coach against Philly and New England? Did he have a Flacco like hot streak? You see the problem with this stance is, its not simply getting rid of Darrell Bevell that is holding this team back. In fact, firing Bevell right now IMO would torpedo this season entirely. But what's incredibly comical is how when the offense looks great in a win and puts up 31 points against the Patriots or 26 points against the Eagles.. there's not a peep about Darrell Bevell, and more often than not, the fire him at all costs crowd credits everyone BUT Bevell for the result. It doesn't go both ways. Bevell isn't the sole party responsible for a loss, as much as he isn't the entire reason behind a win.

Football is such a complex sport, you simply cannot pigeon hole struggles onto a coordinator. The line is a trainwreck, the running game has been missing all season and the guy with star potential dripping from his pores just got injured again. Jermaine Kearse is slow and can't catch again. Tyler Lockett may or may not be healthy and is having a sophomore slump as a result.

And in saying all of this, they've won 7 of their 11 games.. and quite frankly should have won 3 of those games. Despite some complete duds on offense. Despite the injuries.

Bevell isn't perfect. He's a middle of the pack OC. He's better than a great deal of coordinators, and he's worse than his fair share too. But compared to our other options on November 28, 2016 with a 7-3-1 team -- he's the only option.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Ambrose83":16mx7ziy said:
For the life of me I can't see how any of you can defend him... It's crazy at this point.... The bills made a switch and it turned out so much better... I'd love for bevell gone and the talent we have to be maximized... You won't know how bad it was till he's gone....

The Bills are dead last in passing offense and rank 1st overall running the football. A lot of that has to do with Tyrod Taylor, but anyway.. this notion that the OC switch saved their season is hilarious.

The Bills turned around their season because the schedule got a lot softer for them. Sure there was probably a spark from the firing. But you can also say they woke up when they started 0-2 and a coach got fired.

But anyway, the stretch of games that came after the firing:

- vs. Arizona in a 10AM kick.
- at New England with a 3rd string rookie QB
- at Los Angeles
- vs. San Francisco.. again at 10AM

Then they played Miami, NE and Seattle and lost all 3. Should they fire the OC again?

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2zok64af said:
RolandDeschain":2zok64af said:

The Ravens fired Cam Cameron and replaced him with Jim Caldwell. If there were a Jim Caldwell on this staff, then sure. Also I love that you essentially insinuate that the firing is what led to them winning a Super Bowl. The Ravens got every break in the book in that postseason run (thanks Rahim Moore!) and Flacco played out of his mind. That had zero to do with firing Cam Cameron and everything to do with peaking at the perfect time + having some luck on their side.

Here are some other teams that have fired their offensive coordinator midseason this year:
- Buffalo (Move seemed to spark the offense somewhat, but they still rank 18th overall in yards and are dead last in passing offense)

- Baltimore (Ravens were the 23rd ranked offense under Trestman, now 18th under Mornhinweg. They are 3-3 since the move and rank 28th in rushing and 18th in passing)

- Jacksonville (Jaguars fired Greg Olson midway through his 2nd season. They've moved from 25th in total offense to 23rd. They're winless since the change.)

So yeah, all it takes is that magical midseason firing! Look at how much success those three teams are having!

Again... Do you want Tom Cable as OC? Do you want TATER Smith as OC? Because that's what would happen if we canned Bevell. Also Russell Wilson isn't OC, but you're nuts if you don't think he has a lot of say in what they run.

Why were you and so many others strangely quiet the previous two weeks? Did Bevell just decide to not coach against Philly and New England? Did he have a Flacco like hot streak? You see the problem with this stance is, its not simply getting rid of Darrell Bevell that is holding this team back. In fact, firing Bevell right now IMO would torpedo this season entirely. But what's incredibly comical is how when the offense looks great in a win and puts up 31 points against the Patriots or 26 points against the Eagles.. there's not a peep about Darrell Bevell, and more often than not, the fire him at all costs crowd credits everyone BUT Bevell for the result. It doesn't go both ways. Bevell isn't the sole party responsible for a loss, as much as he isn't the entire reason behind a win.

Football is such a complex sport, you simply cannot pigeon hole struggles onto a coordinator. The line is a trainwreck, the running game has been missing all season and the guy with star potential dripping from his pores just got injured again. Jermaine Kearse is slow and can't catch again. Tyler Lockett may or may not be healthy and is having a sophomore slump as a result.

And in saying all of this, they've won 7 of their 11 games.. and quite frankly should have won 3 of those games. Despite some complete duds on offense. Despite the injuries.

Bevell isn't perfect. He's a middle of the pack OC. He's better than a great deal of coordinators, and he's worse than his fair share too. But compared to our other options on November 28, 2016 with a 7-3-1 team -- he's the only option.
Hasselbeck, don't you hate having to defend the Seahawks' coaching staff on a Seahawks fan forum where you would expect the participants to be giddy over a team that's had more playoff success the past 4 years than anyone but the Patriots and are tracking toward another deep playoff run this year?
I remember when Vikings fans raised holy hell that they wanted Childress gone the year after he had led them to the NFC Championship Game. They got their wish and how has that worked out for them?
Thanks for keeping the sanity.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I didn't insinuate that it's what got them the Super Bowl win, I used them as a legitimate example that it wasn't some "this season is lost" chicken running around with its head cut off pit of despair like you're painting it out to be for us should we get rid of The Amazing Bevell®.

Continue perceiving what you want to perceive, however. :roll:

Latest posts