Fieldgulls: There’s something wrong with Russell Wilson

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Outside of a couple of games he's looked like a journeyman QB for the rest.

I don't know why people can't be real about the QB position or RW in general. Look at his stats, his fantasy value, etc....he's been one of the worst out there through seven games. You may not like it, and obviously there are injuries that compound everything and some OL inconsistencies, but it's the truth. He's flat out been bad outside of a couple games.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":19eh0ado said:
http://www.fieldgulls.com/2016/11/4/13516422/russell-wilson-film-room-breakdown-highlights-seahawks-saints

Slightly sensationalist title. He just had some bad plays.
Yeah bad knee, bad ankle, bad pec. 8)

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
There is something wrong with Russell, he's hurt.

It's not rocket science to come to the conclusion that he's not as accurate and missing reads when he's dealing with three major injuries, has no RB and the worst O-line in franchise history giving him less than two seconds to throw the ball.

Thanks Fieldgulls for your amazing insight.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
I have never liked field gulls. Never click.

rcaido

Reaction score
vin.couve12":3d85tees said:
Outside of a couple of games he's looked like a journeyman QB for the rest.

I don't know why people can't be real about the QB position or RW in general. Look at his stats, his fantasy value, etc....he's been one of the worst out there through seven games. You may not like it, and obviously there are injuries that compound everything and some OL inconsistencies, but it's the truth. He's flat out been bad outside of a couple games.

Sure he sucks in Fantasy footbal but Wilson despite his injuries, oline, Bevell, & team penalties, he has given us a position to win every single game. Michaels fumble in the Rams, Haushka missed the FG Cardinals, & over threw Kearse for game winner against the Saint. If the game is on the line i would take him over any QB.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
This ^ Field Gulls = Captain Obvious.
Having several injuries tends to put you in a funk, and it doesn't help when you have to fight through bad Officiating in the boot.
It isn't JUST Russell Wilson that's having problems in the Offense.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
Pete's offseason QB mastery course doesn't appear to be providing the expected dividends just yet. Then again I never understood putting more on RW's shoulders while simultaneously cutting his legs out from under him with a horrific OL that we refuse to appropriately address, but what do I know?

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
3 injuries......of course there is something wrong with Russell Wilson, yet he still gives us the best chance to win.

Last game showed that he was starting to get his footing back, besides that overthrow to Kearse, he was a bit mobile again, and using his legs.

Something else I read was about the concern Pete had for Wilson through those stretches of games, he said that he was concern each week but Wilson kept showing him in practice that he was ready to go. Another thing he said was they had to limit his deep ball passing in practice ever since he injured his pectoral. Might be the reason why we didn't attempt much of the deep ball passing.

We also have to remember that we got some guys also hurt on offense like Doug and Lockett who also are playing through injuries, but if anything the 2nd half of the season we will have a more healthy team going forward which by that time other teams will be having their guys injured. I think we are still in a good position for the 2nd half.

The team are great during November-December stretch, they are 28-6 since the Wilson era, that averages to 7 games won to 1.5 games lost. This team will be ready.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
CodeWarrior":88i7ob0u said:
Pete's offseason QB mastery course doesn't appear to be providing the expected dividends just yet. Then again I never understood putting more on RW's shoulders while simultaneously cutting his legs out from under him with a horrific OL that we refuse to appropriately address, but what do I know?

You might be right, but we'll never know because other than two quarters of this year Russell's been at 50% or less of his effectiveness.

We all said before the season started that Pete and John are gambling with the line, and they've BEEN gambling for a few years now. Russell's injuries are literally the worst thing that could have happened to the offense, because it exposed every single weakness.

RussB

Reaction score
Having the worst o line in the league will do that. Injuries dont help either.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3sltco7o said:
CodeWarrior":3sltco7o said:

You might be right, but we'll never know because other than two quarters of this year Russell's been at 50% or less of his effectiveness.

We all said before the season started that Pete and John are gambling with the line, and they've BEEN gambling for a few years now. Russell's injuries are literally the worst thing that could have happened to the offense, because it exposed every single weakness.

2015 was the year the current low budget approach to the OL took effect. That year Russell was the third most hit QB in the NFL. He was hit 114 times that year. Only Indianapolis and Cleveland were worse. This year Russell ranks 17th, but if you adjust for attempts he is around the 7th most hit QB at 43 times so far this year. The sample size is just half a season so the difference between 17th and 7th is around 7 hits. Russell could trend up of down by year's end.

These hits have a cumulative effect and it shouldn't be a surprise that Russell is getting increasingly dinged up. He takes abuse behind this line.

Unsurprisingly the Oakland Raiders, who have the highest paid OL in football, have the least hit QB in the league. Derek Carr has been hit just 18 times through eight games. No surprise he's having a stellar year. The Raiders are in the enviable spot of having Carr on his rookie contract still. Wonder what that team will look like once they have to pay Carr. I know QBs rule the NFL but when they are given such monstrous contracts they really hamstring the rest of the team. Brady gets it and is willing to give on his contract. His cap hit this year is $13.7M compared with $18.5M for Russell. That ~$5M difference equates roughly to a nice LT protecting your blind side.

Another interesting cap fact is that Richard Sherman currently has a bigger cap hit than Brady, as Richard counts $14.769M against the cap.

Fudwamper

Reaction score
Wilson's main problem is pocket awareness, He is not stepping up and DE's are playing that. Until he consistently knows the pocket and moves with in it his and the seahawks play are going to suffer. The injuries are an excuse for bad play. Many QB's are statues and make it work.

IrishNW

Reaction score
Wilson not stepping up into the pocket? shocker....shocker

I dont think he ever will have elite pocket awareness

OP
OP
MontanaHawk05

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":23dhpp0i said:

It's not rocket science to come to the conclusion that he's not as accurate and missing reads when he's dealing with three major injuries, has no RB and the worst O-line in franchise history giving him less than two seconds to throw the ball.

It's unfalsifiable to say that Wilson is missing reads because of his injuries. It's very possible that he's missing them because he's...just missing them.

I know that scares us because there's no easy way out of it except the long painful process of watching Wilson grow, but that doesn't change the fact you can't lay everything at the feet of his OL and his injuries. It also doesn't help that Wilson has long had a well-documented habit of running himself out of his blocks and into pressure (the final near-sack by Cameron Jordan being a fine example). And you're ignoring the fact that Wilson is getting the ball out faster than he ever has in his career (less than 2.4 seconds this season) yet having a career-poor stretch.

QB play is the primary driver of an offense. Has been for several years now. We need to hold Wilson accountable for his mistakes instead of scrambling to blame them on EVERYTHING else.

And then we need to shrug, smile, and sit back with a beer realizing that Wilson will learn, will improve, and will continue to be our franchise QB for a long time.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Is it possible, all the muscle work out he's done in the off season has made him less flexible and possibly heavier, slower and stiffer?

Overseasfan

Reaction score
There is indeed something wrong with him. Injured ankle, injured knee and injured pec. How is the guy still standing, let alone playing? He's barely human.

The moment he's healthy again (and that is sooner rather than later) it'll be like nothing ever happened.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":18g5tcf9 said:
Sgt. Largent":18g5tcf9 said:

It's unfalsifiable to say that Wilson is missing reads because of his injuries. It's very possible that he's missing them because he's...just missing them.

It is false because there's enough history of Russell being one of the most accurate QB's in NFL history to say it. Before this year his QBR was not just high, it was all time high, same with his accuracy.

So what's changed? O-line? Nope, same crappy O-line. WR's not catching balls or running correct routes? Nope, same dependable skilled WR corp.

Only variable that's changed from prior years is he's injured.

Now has his injury AND the terrible O-line caused him to doubt his reads, hesitate and get happy feet feeling pressure when it isn't there? Yep, but again it was like that in previous years. This year is the only year his athleticism and allusiveness isn't there to create that confidence Russell would normally have to escape and make a play.