Fieldgulls: There’s something wrong with Russell Wilson

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":2j48ludu said:
It is very obvious to everyone on this message board that the Seahawks are not playing "Seahawk football" the way we have been seeing the past few years. To me, the team does not look as "hungry" as I've seen in the past. We see an occasional "exceptional play" but the team cannot seem to do it consistently by "marching down the field and score". This weekend marks the mid season point. Historically....this is when the Hawks turn on the "afterburner" and mow down our opponents.

Should we lose to the Bills this Monday, this season is tilting the wrong direction and those in line for season tickets might well see a shorter line. If I am watching this message board correctly, the number of "hits" is down from last year. Watching the list of those "online" appears to be shorter this year. Sports shows keep talking about the loss of interest in the NFL. So perhaps that is the reason why fewer people are here and not necessarily our team's poor play.
yer trippin

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
chris98251":3diqfwa8 said:
Wilson is hurt and we don't know what kind of limitations he is feeling that he is not disclosing, but having a Pec problem and then both legs banged up means he has delivery problems with velocity and probably being able to go into deeper patterns since he has limited leg drive into throws, those across the filed throws or bullets and or deep patterns are not there for him. not because the receiver isn't open but because he knows he can't get the ball there or doesn't trust that he can.
Great point.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Cyrus12":270ezyqd said:
probably on his way to David Carr 2.0 because of the horrendous o line and poor drafting...oh well he won us one title.
again...trippin

zhawk

Reaction score
vin.couve12":2kfhobfq said:
Outside of a couple of games he's looked like a journeyman QB for the rest.

I don't know why people can't be real about the QB position or RW in general. Look at his stats, his fantasy value, etc....he's been one of the worst out there through seven games. You may not like it, and obviously there are injuries that compound everything and some OL inconsistencies, but it's the truth. He's flat out been bad outside of a couple games.

Yup. you're right. Fire Russell! his fantasy value is down. Only the biggest stud we've had on this team. Sometimes bad things happen, but we carry on. These things , too, shall pass.

TwilightError

Reaction score
vin.couve12":2l3rsq3f said:
Outside of a couple of games he's looked like a journeyman QB for the rest.

I don't know why people can't be real about the QB position or RW in general. Look at his stats, his fantasy value, etc....he's been one of the worst out there through seven games. You may not like it, and obviously there are injuries that compound everything and some OL inconsistencies, but it's the truth. He's flat out been bad outside of a couple games.

All true. I like Wilson as much as anybody but there is no denying this. I hope it's because of the injuries but it's hard to say, cause we haven't seen him injury-free the whole season.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Game 8 and 9 are coming up, which is where RW starts to pick it up in one of the two weeks. Dude's a slow starter both in games and in seasons. He'll also have a bad game or two just before the season ends to make questions going into the playoffs. Seems like it happens every year....

penihawk

Reaction score
Bobblehead":qbsjr2cy said:
Is it possible, all the muscle work out he's done in the off season has made him less flexible and possibly heavier, slower and stiffer?

I noticed it long before the injuries in the pre-season. He is much easier to defend with decreased running ability and the injuries just compound it.

hawk45

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":2la6ovax said:
As Greg Bell of the Trubune has written more than once, RW has masked deficiencies of the OL for quite some time now.
Normally with his legs, but can't do that now, so it shows. He's getting rid of the ball faster which makes the pass pro look better than it actually is. No deep-drop, explosives because 1. Teams don't respect our run game. 2. The coaches are blowing smoke up our butts regarding how well the OL pass protects.

Sent from my SC-02H using Tapatalk

Can't say it any better than this. My butt is pretty much full to capacity of smoke at this point.

OP
OP
MontanaHawk05

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Cyrus12":2zpxofkk said:
probably on his way to David Carr 2.0 because of the horrendous o line and poor drafting...oh well he won us one title.

You mean the David Carr who was replaced by Matt Schaub, who immediately performed better behind an OL that had not improved? That Carr?

HawKnPeppa":2zpxofkk said:
As Greg Bell of the Trubune has written more than once, RW has masked deficiencies of the OL for quite some time now. Normally with his legs, but can't do that now, so it shows. He's getting rid of the ball faster which makes the pass pro look better than it actually is. No deep-drop, explosives because 1. Teams don't respect our run game. 2. The coaches are blowing smoke up our butts regarding how well the OL pass protects.

Agreed, but here's the thing...this is so normal in the NFL that it's become a legitimate offensive approach. Peyton Manning did it, and he's a statue. Aaron Rodgers at his peak did it with his improvisation. A good QB can elevate the play of the offense so much that struggles at other positions, particularly the OL, become much easier to deal with. It's not a fluke, and it's not a band-aid. It's a normal offensive approach.

And it's the reason why I'm satisfied with the team's decision not to invest so much in the OL. His legs have worked just fine as pass protection for four years. Sure, he's gimpy now. But four years, a Super Bowl, and him currently being 4-2-1 don't really speak against the team's decision-making so far.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
IrishNW":39jgwjey said:
Wilson not stepping up into the pocket? shocker....shocker

I dont think he ever will have elite pocket awareness

What POCKET?...You mean the one that has been disintegrating in 2.14 seconds OR LESS on a regular basis??
He's well "aware" of the hits that await him there.
It took till mid season last year for the O-Line to finally put it together enough to offer up some semblance of protection, this O-Line isn't quite there yet, so Russell Wilson has to add-lib until they finally do start getting their shit together, and he has to do it with INJURIES.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":19oxq7jm said:
Cyrus12":19oxq7jm said:

You mean the David Carr who was replaced by Matt Schaub, who immediately performed better behind an OL that had not improved? That Carr?

HawKnPeppa":19oxq7jm said:
As Greg Bell of the Trubune has written more than once, RW has masked deficiencies of the OL for quite some time now. Normally with his legs, but can't do that now, so it shows. He's getting rid of the ball faster which makes the pass pro look better than it actually is. No deep-drop, explosives because 1. Teams don't respect our run game. 2. The coaches are blowing smoke up our butts regarding how well the OL pass protects.

Agreed, but here's the thing...this is so normal in the NFL that it's become a legitimate offensive approach. Peyton Manning did it, and he's a statue. Aaron Rodgers at his peak did it with his improvisation. A good QB can elevate the play of the offense so much that struggles at other positions, particularly the OL, become much easier to deal with. It's not a fluke, and it's not a band-aid. It's a normal offensive approach.

And it's the reason why I'm satisfied with the team's decision not to invest so much in the OL. His legs have worked just fine as pass protection for four years. Sure, he's gimpy now. But four years, a Super Bowl, and him currently being 4-2-1 don't really speak against the team's decision-making so far.

So, you're saying that Wilson's injuries are acceptable, and there's no urgency to try and improve?

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
RW may be a mere human, but he's the best d*mn quarterback in the NFL.

The guy is gutting it out, let's give him credit for that and:

Have Faith!

Pass the Peace!

Go Hawks!!

This season too will turn out to be a spectacular Seahawks season, just wait.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":8gpzq7oy said:
Cyrus12":8gpzq7oy said:

The David Carr whop was maimed every week and pretty much beaten to a pulp and couldn't play anymore from getting killed every week...yep thats him. Schaub came in after a few years...they still were not great but better than what Carr had in front of him

NINEster

Reaction score
Cyrus12":3ry6cjc4 said:

Wish I could say the same thing about my Black Panther.

NINEster

Reaction score
Schematically, I don't think I've seen a defense limit Wilson as well as the Patriots did in the Super Bowl.

They don't have quite the pass rush or star power defense of other teams and yet they limited him pretty well on most possessions. I recall a play or two where Wilson had an eternity to complete a pass and wasn't able to, something he does regularly against other teams.

Should be interesting seeing that game next week.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
If RW is injured, then he should sit. I don't understand why he would try to play himself healthy. I have argued before that ... in insight, he should have missed both the Arizona and the NO games.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
NO quarterback would be successful behind this swiss cheese line. We're sitting at 4-2-1 and only a few plays from 6 or 7 wins already.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
joeseahawks":32nt1bol said:
If RW is injured, then he should sit. I don't understand why he would try to play himself healthy. I have argued before that ... in insight, he should have missed both the Arizona and the NO games.

I'm starting to think this as well now that we're 5-6 weeks into Russell's injury and more information has come out with him telling us the Dr's told him he needs to sit for a month, but that he was going to tough it out.

If he's almost out of the wood and should continue to heal as the season goes along? Then I'm fine.

But if these injuries linger all year and he could have gotten healthy from sitting for 3-4 weeks? Then I'm going to be pissed at Pete for not pulling rank and forcing Wilson to sit and get his legs right.