What is the general opinion on

cheese22

Reaction score
Gary Gilliam? After reading so many articles and complaints about our online, Gilliam doesn't get named too often. The clips I've seen he looks pretty good. Is he good enough that we go into next year with him as a starter and feel good about it? Or do we need to look to replace him too? Say we choose to re-sign Okung, then we'd want to upgrade center and one of the guard positions (I'm thinking Glowinski fills one spot). I'd love to see Soko develop some of his insane physical tools into a respectable starter. Then we would need a center and a guard if Glow or Soko don't cut it.
In the draft I'd love to see us get one or both of Tretola or Kirkland. I haven't looked at centers too much yet but in the past, quality centers seem to last to the later rounds.
If they keep Sweezy (who I like) and not Okung, then we turn our early attention toward finding our next LT. This draft seems top heavy on tackles so I think it would be smart to that route early.
On any hand, I would love to see the f.o. devote all our early picks to beefing up and adding depth on both sides of the l.o.s.
Thoughts?

crosfam

Reaction score
I think we draft a new tackle in Rd 1, 2 or 3. He competes with Gilliam and the one best suited for LT goes there. The other goes to RT. I like Gilliam, though he would be the primary back-up LT to Okung until they moved him to starting RT. He is really athletic and still raw enough to improve by leaps and bounds. So much more athletic than Bailey, who is a decent back-up LT. Britt may end up at RT, but I think we probably draft a new starter.

We will probably draft folks nobody has really heard of...

I think most of our picks will be defense - just a hunch. DB, Linebacker, DT, etc. With the high performing defense we have we will continue to lose quality players. If the dominant defense slips, so do we.

Throwdown

Reaction score
He developed into the position pretty well this season for being a raw prospect

Davidess

Reaction score
I can see them moving Gilliam to LT and bringing a rookie to start over at RT.

Although the competition for LT would be an interesting storyline.
I see them moving Gilliam to LT. most LT's in college who come to the pros tend to start at RT (their first year) as it is easier for them to translate to the pro game that way.

kearly

Reaction score
Quality backup. I'd compare his play to Tyler Polumbus. Decent in protection but not much of a mover in the run game. A bit light in his britches.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
kearly":20160gby said:
Quality backup. I'd compare his play to Tyler Polumbus. Decent in protection but not much of a mover in the run game. A bit light in his britches.

I noticed Rob Rang's early mock draft has the Hawks drafting Taylor Decker from Ohio ST with their 1st pick. I like that idea. He looks good in most of the video I've seen so far.

Davidess

Reaction score
The nice thing about Gilliam is he is athletic and has some good footwork out on the edge. I think he can put a lil weight on his frame (6'6 305)

Compared to the other OT coming in this year his frame isn't far off if at all. number 1 rated T is little lighter than Gilliam.
I think hes athleticism on the edge might push him to be the starter at LT depending on what happens with Okung.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I liked what I saw in Gilliam and think he can grow into a good Tackle, if allowed to.

My biggest complaint is that they can't settle on what they want to do on the OL and it's hurting the younger players.

We have Gilliam at RT, who looked better than Britt in pass pro, but much worse in run blocking.

We have Britt who graded out well in run blocking as a rookie, but was poor in pass blocking. Now moved to LG where he struggled. So what to do with him ?

We're looking at moving on from Okung.

We're probably moving on from Lewis as he's not the greatest scheme fit.

I honestly don't see how our OL is going to much better next year. it's possible we have one, maybe two guys that maintain their position and the musical chairs continues.

Latest posts