What I'm Hoping For

NoGain

Reaction score
Gun to head, if I had to say what happened to the Hawks in the first two days of the draft it was...

a) They wanted CJ Stroud or Anthony Richardson but they were gone
b) They wanted Will Anderson but he was gone
c) They couldn't or it wasn't worth it to them to trade up for one of them
d) They couldn't trade down because no one wanted to pay up for the #5 pick with those players gone
e) So they went BPA available from there on out

If I'm right about this, I admit to being disappointed with how it played out, but I thoroughly understand the logic behind what they did. So what I'm hoping for now is a sneaky-good-draft where we walk away with perhaps 4-5 potential starters, 1-2 future Pro-Bowl type players, and a few more players that stick around as depth guys and special teams players.

Just the way I see it. Forgive this thread if it seems redundant.

pmedic920

Reaction score
Gun to head, if I had to say what happened to the Hawks in the first two days of the draft it was...

d) They couldn't trade down because no one wanted to pay up for the #5 pick with those players gone

If I'm right about this, I admit to being disappointed with how it played out, but I thoroughly understand the logic behind what they did. So what I'm hoping for now is a sneaky-good-draft where we walk away with perhaps 4-5 potential starters, 1-2 future Pro-Bowl type players, and a few more players that stick around as depth guys and special teams players.

Do you not see the first four picks as “potential starters”?

I do, and I think the expectation is for them to be starters sooner than later.

CPHawk

Reaction score

No one seriously thought any of those 3 guys would be at #5. Wanting a guy, isn’t the same as expecting him to be available at your pick then him being gone though. I seriously doubt JS and Pete were shocked to not get Anderson or the two QBs.

Last edited:

pmedic920

Reaction score
The thing is you never really know until the passage of time.
I won’t argue that.

I don’t believe that JS/PC made those picks speculating that they “may be” starters some day.

I believe they took those guys with the expectation that they will be starting this season. Maybe not on opening day but soon after if not.

HawkinNY

Reaction score
I do believe passing on carter was a huge mistake. Just hope that carter is a bust. Because that is the position they needed badly.

pmedic920

Reaction score
I do believe passing on carter was a huge mistake. Just hope that carter is a bust. Because that is the position they needed badly.
I wanted him bad but was worried he’d be another Malik. I’d have been happy if we took him at 5.

Having said that.

I have to assume that Pete and John had the same concerns, and they know way more about him than we do. I have no choice but to trust their knowledge and judgment over what I wanted.

Chuckwow

Reaction score
I wanted him bad but was worried he’d be another Malik. I’d have been happy if we took him at 5.

Having said that.

I have to assume that Pete and John had the same concerns, and they know way more about him than we do. I have no choice but to trust their knowledge and judgment over what I wanted.
Ditto. Carter definitely requires some attitude adjustment...at the very least. Sure, he very well could ultimately become the next Jerome Brown but one has to question how bad he wants that? How hard is he willing to work for that? He doesn't strike me as that guy. But let's be fair and say 3 years from now he gets it and he's starting to tear it up. Well, he'll be nearing his second deal by then and Philly all but wasted 3 valuable years getting him there.

Now let's look at Witherspoon.....and I don't think I need to say anymore but it's plausible he could see at least one pro bowl in that time and be the best corner in the game before his rookie deal expires. If the NFL is in fact Not For Long...how long do you want to wait for your first rd pick to play like one?

Aircrew

Reaction score
Ditto. Carter definitely requires some attitude adjustment...at the very least. Sure, he very well could ultimately become the next Jerome Brown but one has to question how bad he wants that? How hard is he willing to work for that? He doesn't strike me as that guy. But let's be fair and say 3 years from now he gets it and he's starting to tear it up. Well, he'll be nearing his second deal by then and Philly all but wasted 3 valuable years getting him there.

Now let's look at Witherspoon.....and I don't think I need to say anymore but it's plausible he could see at least one pro bowl in that time and be the best corner in the game before his rookie deal expires. If the NFL is in fact Not For Long...how long do you want to wait for your first rd pick to play like one?
Totally. And the whole point of 1st round talent is that they can contribute immediately, hence their draft status. Taking a project at #5 when the Hawks have the holes that they do isn't very wise. If Carter wasn't risky, I would be screaming right now. But he is risky and after the Malik and Collier disasters Pete and John decided #5 had to be a hit.

WarHawks

Reaction score
If Spoon turns out to be a pro bowl caliber corner, then what Carter does from here on out is pretty much irrelevant, in terms of opportunity cost.

Mick063

Reaction score
Just hate the idea of grooming Richardson for three years to find out we have another Trey Lance. It was about the only selection that would have truly exasperated me on draft day. Still, I would have been definitely over it by now and ready to see how the rookie class ultimately plays out. Hoping that my fears are proven wrong.

Regardless, you are entitled to suffer a lifetime of incessant draft anxiety, every single year, if you are easily bothered by every time another team selects a player before Seattle does. I mean if you feel a need to endure some self-induced draft anxiety, at least make it a player worth feeling miserable about. You should lament that the team didn't suck enough to draft Mahomes. Now that is a player that is good enough to feel miserable about missing out on. I would probably feel some sympathy for you over missing that one.

Last edited:

Latest posts