What is the forum's opinions on Mazi Smith?

toffee

Reaction score
We need NT, Woods is old, Mine is hurt and Poona is gone. Mazi is younger as big and stronger; but high motor, foot ball instincts, or killer bit may not be his strong point?

He is a 'must have' on my mock drafts, a nice replacement for Woods and Mone.

Where he wins: Grown-man strength
When Smith gets his paws inside your shoulder pads, good night. His hands are so strong that shedding blocks are an afterthought.

What’s his role: Nose tackle
Smith is a true hold-the-point nose tackle. He won’t be much more than a pocket pusher in the passing game, but he has the strength to do just that in the NFL.

What can he Improve: Hands
Smith has the kind of pop in his hands that can’t be coached, but he often lacks urgency. He doesn’t possess the violence and speed to be an impactful pass-rusher.

Last edited:

AgentDib

Reaction score
Positional value being lower for 0/1t is the only reason why we're not talking about him as a target in the first round. Michigan played him as a two gap nose tackle where he was very good against the run and decent as an interior pass rusher.

His measurables are ideal for an inside DL. Very strong, decent arms, heavy, good leverage with a lower center of gravity.

He did have an off-field incident last October for carrying a gun without a license during a traffic stop. That was pled down to a misdemeanor. His on-field football character is supposedly really good as a key defensive leader with a strong work ethic.

Michigan's pro day is on Friday. That will be a key mark because he stepped down from Combine work after supposedly tweaking his hamstring. I expect him to do well based on his agility during games.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
He benched 34 at combine, ok, he ain't Larry Allen but up there when it comes to strength.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Positional value being lower for 0/1t is the only reason why we're not talking about him as a target in the first round. Michigan played him as a two gap nose tackle where he was very good against the run and decent as an interior pass rusher.

His measurables are ideal for an inside DL. Very strong, decent arms, heavy, good leverage with a lower center of gravity.

View attachment 58260

He did have an off-field incident last October for carrying a gun without a license during a traffic stop. That was pled down to a misdemeanor. His on-field football character is supposedly really good as a key defensive leader with a strong work ethic.

Michigan's pro day is on Friday. That will be a key mark because he stepped down from Combine work after supposedly tweaking his hamstring. I expect him to do well based on his agility during games.
He's been touted as a legendary athlete capable of some incredible explosion numbers. I expect the Pro Day to be a really good day for him.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score

View attachment 58260

Stronger and quicker Poona?

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
He's been touted as a legendary athlete capable of some incredible explosion numbers. I expect the Pro Day to be a really good day for him.
I am expecting him to have a far more successful Pro Day, I would like to think that unlike Carter, Mazi is preparing for his coming out party.

Chevy

Reaction score
Stronger and quicker Poona?
Bad comparison of players. Poona is 5'11' 310 lbs 32 inch arms, 24 reps on bench at combine. Mazi is 6'3" 325 lbs 33 inch arms, 34 reps on bench at combine. Poona needs to be a 3-tech on a 4-3 front, whereas Mazi should play 1-tech on a 4-3 defense, or NT on a 3-4 defense. Mazi has good cardio for his size, he played over 600 snaps last year which is a lot for a DT/NT.

The two players I have the most in my mock drafts are Mazi and OLB Will McDonnald, because of their body type, athleticism for their position, fit for our scheme, game tape, and motor.

Last edited:

hawkfan68

Reaction score
We need NT, Woods is old, Mine is hurt and Poona is gone. Mazi is younger as big and stronger; but high motor, foot ball instincts, or killer bit may not be his strong point?

He is a 'must have' on my mock drafts, a nice replacement for Woods and Mone.

Mazi Smith or Keeanu Benton are NT players that the Seahawks need to get. One of those guys. I'm not impressed with Mone. He's big but seems to have very little impact for his size. Smith and Benton know how to use their size.

RockinHawks

Reaction score
Mazi Smith or Keeanu Benton are NT players that the Seahawks need to get. One of those guys. I'm not impressed with Mone. He's big but seems to have very little impact for his size. Smith and Benton know how to use their size.
Yesssss.

Would love either of these guys... and/or Bresee.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
Agree that Woods shouldn’t be the starter he is turning 36 later this month. Mazi Smith and Benton are my 2 favorites with Benton my preferred due to pass rush ability and motor. I have seen Mazi hold up his spot but not get any penetration not sure if this was due to defensive scheme or player. I do like the fact Mazi can play as many snaps as he did. The report of Mazi with the gun in the airport is a non issue

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
I will be very happy if they draft Mazi Smith. The kid worked his ass off to get in shape during his time at Michigan.
And he displayed stamina for a big man, okayed lots of snaps as a nose tackle.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
I want him. At 20 or 37, whatever it takes. Pair him with Reed and I suspect our run defense will be much better this year.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Big fan. I hope he is high on their draft board.

Chevy

Reaction score
His Pro-Day numbers were a bit disappointing, good but not amazing. The Steelers have apparently shown a lot of interest in him and DT is a big need for them.

Chevy

Reaction score
Reeds a good comp. But I see more pass rush and less of an anchor against the run.
Reed is a bad comp. Mazi is 20 bigger than Reed was coming out of college. Mazi college game tape shows a more athletic DT than Reed college game tape. Also, Mazi is a beast vs the run. Another favorite NT here is Benton, and I've seen him on the ground too much to be a NT.