Bring on the high draft picks and defensive roster overhaul

mistaowen

Reaction score
Hoping JS knocks this draft out of the park again with a bunch of ammo thanks to the Broncos. Honestly would be very happy with 3 of first 4 picks going all front 7 D and then a center. Good thing we could have had Creed Humphrey and not Dee.

I also never want to see Cody Barton on the field as a Seahawk again. Take a sledgehammer to this defensive roster and get some actual talent there.

Rat

Reaction score
Every year I get older, and every year I feel like I say we need to go into the draft and find a pass rusher. I was foolish in thinking Taylor could be that guy this year. He's just awful. Just once, I'd like to have a season where we have someone like Myles Garrett or TJ Watt. It's over and over and over again that we can't get to the quarterback. Who was our last elite pass rusher, Michael Sinclair like 25 years ago?

OP
OP
mistaowen

mistaowen

Reaction score
Every year I get older, and every year I feel like I say we need to go into the draft and find a pass rusher. I was foolish in thinking Taylor could be that guy this year. He's just awful. Just once, I'd like to have a season where we have someone like Myles Garrett or TJ Watt. It's over and over and over again that we can't get to the quarterback. Who was our last elite pass rusher, Michael Sinclair like 25 years ago?

Unfortunately seems like we'll miss on the top 2 given the Broncos winning, though Carter's had some knocks on him following the CFP. Couple guys at 5 but not sure they'll be elite, frustrating. Could have had TJ Watt. I think it also shows coaching of the DL isn't good enough, the only one who looks above average is Nwosu who was a FA. Another knock on Hurtt who looked overmatched this year at DC, even if the talent is bare.

SEAHAWKSTER

Reaction score
We need
DT
DE
LB
S
CB
C
WR
TE
RB
QB
Either through draft or free agency ….we could do all this year or spread it out over two seasons to get best players available in each position ….

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
You aren't fixing this by changing out players.
Barton was a 3rd rd pick. Brooks was a 1st round pick. Both still suck.
Be even conceding that, as bad as the defense is - do you honestly believe this is the worst front 7 in all of the NFL? In terms of roster, not results?
I don't. I see at least 3 teams that looks as bad. Though I will concede that a 68 year old Irvin somehow becoming an impact player for us speaks volumes, and not good ones.

its weird how good coaches make mediocre rosters produce and poor coaches always seem to need someone else.
Our DCs always seem to be short of players. Wonder why?

Maybe they are using them wrong?

Optimus25

Reaction score
i liked Chris clemons.

Didn’t dominate like a Garrett but showed up in some big moments.

I don’t think there was a single moment for any defender today. Like not once for an entire game.

OP
OP
mistaowen

mistaowen

Reaction score
i liked Chris clemons.

Didn’t dominate like a Garrett but showed up in some big moments.

I don’t think there was a single moment for any defender today. Like not once for an entire game.

The only guy is Nwosu, he has a high motor and causes negative plays. But again, was a FA, not coached up by our staff. Otherwise it's a bunch of jags. Even Woolen got worked by Shanahan today but he's an excellent play caller.

Scout

Reaction score
Be even conceding that, as bad as the defense is - do you honestly believe this is the worst front 7 in all of the NFL? In terms of roster, not results?
I don't. I see at least 3 teams that looks as bad. Though I will concede that a 68 year old Irvin somehow becoming an impact player for us speaks volumes, and not good ones.

its weird how good coaches make mediocre rosters produce and poor coaches always seem to need someone else.

Sure coaching can be better but would you take Ford, Harris and Woods over other DL on playoff teams in the NFC as an example?

The answer is a clear no.

Seahawks need upgrades in the trenches on both sides of the ball.

renofox

Reaction score

I have no confidence in PC to rebuild a functional defense, even if given 5 more years of dreadful tries.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Hoping JS knocks this draft out of the park again with a bunch of ammo thanks to the Broncos. Honestly would be very happy with 3 of first 4 picks going all front 7 D and then a center. Good thing we could have had Creed Humphrey and not Dee.

I also never want to see Cody Barton on the field as a Seahawk again. Take a sledgehammer to this defensive roster and get some actual talent there.
Did you see the play where he literally blasted Woolen away from a solid tackle? Barton’s got to get off the roster. Terrible LB and Brooks ain’t much better, just a garbage non TFL LB. 🤮

Hawkpower

Reaction score

Its the worst front 7 in football

Nwosu has been alright. Taylor had a flash or two. Brooks could crack the rotation on a few teams

Who else starts on any other team in the NFL?

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Its the worst LB group, conceded.

I don't agree that we have the worst DL in football or even close.

Last edited:

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
We need
DT
DE
LB
S
CB
C
WR
TE
RB
QB
Either through draft or free agency ….we could do all this year or spread it out over two seasons to get best players available in each position ….
I think safety and cb drop behind center after lb and wr. Other than that i agree. Also,
DTs are DEs in 34 defense. But yes DT and NT are priority. Then LB, C and wr.

OP
OP
mistaowen

mistaowen

Reaction score

IDK, Nwosu is good. Couple guys on the interior are decent rotational pieces on good defenses, Al Woods is teetering on retirement and looks like the best IDL we have. Poona is somehow the most expensive guy and did not remotely live up to that contract. Feel like the entire front 7 just needs a massive injection of talent. Plus Hurtt seemingly having zero positive coaching impact on their development.

Agree on LB's, it's by far the worst in the NFL. They cannot stop the run, they cannot diagnose the run, they cannot get off blocks. Brooks is tough because he has the talent and athleticism to do what Bobby did for this defense, he just doesn't see the game the way Bobby does.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score

Ok...then how are we losing defensively?

Here are rush yards given up by the seahawks. Problem starts with the DL not shedding blocks or clogging holes.
103,179,189,145, 235, 144, 53, 78, 122, 161,283,171,223, 170, 77, 75, 146.
They literally dont stop the run. Teams that were held under a hundred are teams like the chiefs who dont run much or the jets who cant run effectively because they cant pass effectively.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The DL is not any worse than the Bears, Falcons, or Texans.

And remember this line, essentially, the same DL we had last year. And last year we got sacks and pressures.
So not getting those things is likely less the players, but more the way they are used.
Take out the top 2 threats from any DL (Nwosu and #52 for us) and you will find most DLs are pretty middle of the pack.
Part of this is we are running schemes we don't have the personnel for. Part is that we don't take chances and that we are easy to scheme for.
We barely bring extra pressure and usually when we do, we telegraph it.

When ALL the players on a team unit struggle, it usually isn't the players but instead the coaches/tactics/strategies.